I just finished Final Fantasy VI for the first time now what?

bam13950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By bam13950

It was awesome easily in my top three of the series. My question for the boards is what game should I play next. I currently do not have access to any system post 2000. I also do not have access to PlayStation, or Dreamcast, but I do have access to Game Boy Advance. Which ever game is the first to be posted that I have not finished is what I will play next. I am not looking for any particular genre I am just looking for a completely random game that I have not finished. I also do not care if the game is complete crap I just want something to play.

If you want to check my list of completed games go for it other wise just give me random games.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By PixelPrinny

Xenogears, obviously.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SlightConfuse

Botakai or golden sun

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Red

Yeah, I second Golden Sun. Also, I nominate Fire Emblem.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Jay444111

Golden sun from me as well, awesome series and I cannot wait for any new ones to come out.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By JoeyRavn
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

@JoeyRavn said:

No Final Fantasy V? Sacrilege.

Final Fantasy V is a shitfest next to Final Fantasy VI. A shitfest!

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShadyPingu

@Hailinel: Hmm, sorry? Could you repeat that? I couldn't hear you over all this JOB SYSTEM!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hailinel

@Encephalon said:

@Hailinel: Hmm, sorry? Could you repeat that? I couldn't hear you over all this JOB SYSTEM!

Have fun fighting an evil tree with a ridiculous name and a shallow reason for villainy. And also a shit plot and poor characters in general. Seriously, I'd rather play Final Fantasy II than V.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Rebel_Scum

Get an SNES emulator for your computer and play Earthbound or Secret of Mana.

bam13950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bam13950

@Rebel_Scum said:

Golden Sun already won maybe I will do Earthbound or Secret of Mana When I finish Golden Sun, but I will probably just ask the forums again. It's a much quicker way to decide what game to play.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By vidiot
@Hailinel said:

@Encephalon said:

Have fun fighting an evil tree with a ridiculous name and a shallow reason for villainy. And also a shit plot and poor characters in general. Seriously, I'd rather play Final Fantasy II than V.

You just made me mentally vomit Hailinel. I hope you're happy. 
Although, if I was vomiting in Final Fantasy II: I guess I would have a stronger stomach or something afterwards. 

Edit: Wait. Wait. Wait. 
Are you honestly now going to state with that train of logic that Final Fantasy II didn't have a "shit plot" or "poor characters in general" or a villain that didn't have a "shallow reason for villainy"?  
XD 

This is the same game where one of the main characters is named "Guy" correct?
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@vidiot said:

@Hailinel said:

@Encephalon said:

You just made me mentallyvomit Hailinel. I hope you're happy.
Although, if I was vomiting in Final Fantasy II: I guess I would have a stronger stomach or something afterwards.

It has an an insane leveling system, but I maintain that the plot that's at the core of FFII is superior to that which was cooked up for FFV.

ouren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ouren

Golden Sun.

On an actual GBA.

You won't be able to put that game down.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#15  Edited By Slag

Chronotrigger is a sad omission from your list. If you liked FFVI you'll really enjoy it (FFVI is my favorite of the series).

Plus you are missing some great Zelda Game boy games (I see you've played other Zelda titles

Oracle and Ages and Oracle of Seasons if played together is pretty special.

Minish Cap is pretty solid.

Link's Awakening is one of the very best Zelda games of all time.

I don't see any Fire emblem or Advance Wars games on your list. Can't go wrong there either.

EDIT: nevermind I see you've picked Golden Sun. That's a good choice too.

bam13950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bam13950

@Slag said:

Chronotrigger is a sad omission from your list. If you liked FFVI you'll really enjoy it (FFVI is my favorite of the series).

Plus you are missing some great Zelda Game boy games (I see you've played other Zelda titles

I don't see any Fire emblem or Advance Wars games on your list. Can't go wrong there either.

I have played all of those games besides Chronotrigger, and I am probably going to finish them all at some point it is just a matter of when. I'm going to play golden sun then I think I am going to take a break from JRPGS for a little bit. Golden Sun will be 3 JRPGS in a row, and that is enough for a little bit, but when I go back to JRPGS I will probably do Chronotrigger right away.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By YoThatLimp

@bam13950 said:

@Slag said:

I have played all of those games besides Chronotrigger, and I am probably going to finish them all at some point it is just a matter of when. I'm going to play golden sun then I think I am going to take a break from JRPGS for a little bit. Golden Sun will be 3 JRPGS in a row, and that is enough for a little bit, but when I go back to JRPGS I will probably do Chronotrigger right away.

Go. Now! go play Chrono Trigger! I would also recommend Legend of Mana, Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore!

Edit:

Also, Wild Arms 1 + 2 , Legend of Legaia, Saga Frontier 1 + 2

bam13950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bam13950

@YoThatLimp said:

@bam13950 said:

@Slag said:

Go. Now! go play Chrono Trigger! I would also recommend Legend of Mana, Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore!

Edit:

To much JRPG I need a break from them. There is only a certain amount of JRPG I can do at a time, and I am really beginning to want to play a game that doesnt take 30 hours to see the ending of.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#19  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@vidiot said:

@Hailinel said:

@Encephalon said:

You just made me mentallyvomit Hailinel. I hope you're happy.

Edit: Wait. Wait. Wait.
Are you honestly now going to state with that train of logic that Final Fantasy II didn't have a "shit plot" or "poor characters in general" or a villain that didn't have a "shallow reason for villainy"?
XD

This is the same game where one of the main characters is named "Guy" correct?

Just let the hater hate. Saying that Final Fantasy V has a poorly concocted plot is obvious. But that assumes that the story in any given Final Fantasy is worth caring about in the first place. With rare exception (VI, Tactics) I have yet to find this the case. Also, V kicks III's ass (specifically the DS remake of III, which is grindy as hell), if we want to get into the whole "Which Job system FF game is the best" debate, though it's clear that X-2 beats them both for reasons I have discussed previously.

In conclusion: My opinion = fact?

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Slag

@bam13950 said:

To much JRPG I need a break from them. There is only a certain amount of JRPG I can do at a time, and I am really beginning to want to play a game that doesnt take 30 hours to see the ending of.

I think that's a good plan. I run into RPG burnout issues myself if I do too many in a row.

anyway didn't realize you had played all those games as I didn't see them in your list, my apologies. Hope you have fun with Golden Sun!

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@bam13950: Try Contra 3.
YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By YoThatLimp

@bam13950 said:

@YoThatLimp said:

@bam13950 said:

@Slag said:

Edit:

I'M RELIVING MY CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOU

bam13950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bam13950

@Slag said:

@bam13950 said:

I think that's a good plan. I run into RPG burnout issues myself if I do too many in a row.

anyway didn't realize you had played all those games as I didn't see them in your list, my apologies. Hope you have fun with Golden Sun!

That list is just what I have finished I have played all of those games never managed to finish any of them, but some day it will be done.

@YoThatLimp said:

I'M RELIVING MY CHILDHOOD THROUGH YOU

You are making me wish I was a child, then I would have time to play all of these.

JOURN3Y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JOURN3Y

@Ouren said:

Golden Sun.

On an actual GBA.

You won't be able to put that game down.

Seconded. Amazing art, music, story, everything!

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By viking_funeral

@Rebel_Scum said:

If you're going with an emulator, play Seiken Densetsu 3, the sequel to Secret of Mana.

Only being able to pick 3 characters, out of 6, for any given play through gives it incredible replay value.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By AndrewB

I probably wouldn't have connected Golden Sun before reading these comments, but yeah, you should play Golden Sun regardless. That goes for everyone.

(I can't vouch for the DS game. I hear it's merely okay. It's another of those situations where a story arc was closed pretty hard and now someone wants more money).

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Hailinel said:

@Encephalon said:

Yeah, the plot is pretty weak... but the gameplay is amazing. By far the most fun I've ever had with a JRPG.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8d1874be961
deactivated-5d8d1874be961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well from your list you haven't beaten Legend of Zelda: A link to the past. So I would go with that.

ouren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ouren

@JOURN3Y:

I think an vanilla GBA weighs basically nothing.

It's worth lugging around for a bit to play.

spacetrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By spacetrogg

Wow, my first thought when I saw the title was "I know, I'll go suggest Golden Sun".

Good to know others love this as much as I do, never got round to playing the sequels though... wonder if its worth tracking one of them down.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hailinel said:

@JoeyRavn said:

Remove that part of your argument. It makes no sense.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hailinel said:

@JoeyRavn said:

Remove that part of your argument. It makes no sense.

Sure it does. As bad as Final Fantasy V's story is by itself, Final Fantasy VI fucking embarrasses it in every way. Come to think of it, Final Fantasy IV embarrasses the hell out of FFV, as well.

Basically, there's this huge void of garbage that exists between two of the best entries in the series. Whoever was on story writing duty at that point was asleep at the wheel.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hailinel:

Ah, but there is no inherent relation between these three games; I can play them independently of each other. In fact, unless you're Stocke and can make the time stream your bitch, there would be no relation between VI and V.

On the one point that manages to get around this rule (the story), a game does not necessarily need a good story to be good. Granted, this is quite difficult for an RPG (which is often dependent on its story for its quality), but other areas, such as gameplay and music, can make up for it. Oh, and as long as we're arguing which Final Fantasy is the crappest, II totally gets it. Customization doesn't mean a helluva lot if you have to grind like goddamn crazy to get it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King You're making excuses. FGC wouldn't be a painful chore if it had a story that was on par with FFII at the very least.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Hailinel:

Not necessarily. I am merely outlining how video game quality can work and positing that it can apply to Final Fantasy V.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ravenlight

@Video_Game_King said:

Oh, and as long as we're arguing which Final Fantasy is the crappest, II totally gets it.

Does FF Mystic Quest not count?

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Karl_Boss

I like Final Fantasy V.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Karl_Boss

@Ravenlight said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Oh, and as long as we're arguing which Final Fantasy is the crappest, II totally gets it.

But it has an awesome boss battle theme.....the best in the series IMO.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gamefreak9

@Hailinel said:

@Encephalon said:

thats mega burn... FF2 had like nothing... except when compared to FF1

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

FF7, FF9, FF12 and Lost Oddysey

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By BoG

WHATEVER, GUYS. Final Fantasy V is awesome. The story barely has a pulse, but it has some memorable moments, and the job system is among the greatest things to ever happen in a JRPG. Final Fantasy V will keep you busy for a long time.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Ravenlight said:

@Video_Game_King said:

No, because I've never touched it.

bam13950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bam13950

@BoG said:

WHATEVER, GUYS. Final Fantasy V is awesome. The story barely has a pulse, but it has some memorable moments, and the job system is among the greatest things to ever happen in a JRPG. Final Fantasy V will keep you busy for a long time.

FF V is the only final fantasy I have put a serious effort into, but never finished. I ended up getting FF XIII when I was about two thirds through it, and that kind of took all of my attention. I do not understand the hate that game seams to have generated in this thread. It wasn't that terrible I do not think it is as good as IV or VI, but those are two of the best games ever made. Not every Final Fantasy can be the best game ever made.

Oh and I picked Golden Sun, and I am already 8 hours into. It's pretty cool thanks for the recommendations.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Slag

@bam13950 said:

I do not understand the hate that game (FFV) seams to have generated in this thread. It wasn't that terrible I do not think it is as good as IV or VI, but those are two of the best games ever made. Not every Final Fantasy can be the best game ever made.

Think you answered your own question. It's due to what was around it. IF FFV came before IV let's say, People would be all over that game about how awesome it was compared to II and III. Which would be totally true, V for all its' faults beat the crap out of those two. But since it was after IV which had such a memorable story it feels like a letdown.

Personally I couldn't stomach V's story enough to finish it yet, but I didn't play it until nearly ten years after original release.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Slag

@Unknown_Pleasures said:

But it has an awesome boss battle theme.....the best in the series IMO.

Oh man I had forgotten how much I liked the music from that game.

It was definitely FF lite but it was surprisingly fun.

less filling same great taste (well almost).

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By killacam

earthbound. you gotta play earthbound.