#1 Posted by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -

I have both options origins and awakening and I don't know if I should start directly with the awakening expansion. I also have the 1.04 and 1.05 patches, but they are not installed (yet).

What are the differences between the original one and awakening ? Would I miss anything important if I play right away Dragon Age Origins : Awakening ? I don't have enough time to play it two times unfortunately, because I saw some people saying that is better to play it first without the expansion.

#2 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

Awakening takes place directly after the events of Origins. You either import your character into it after beating the game, or make a new character. You could just make a new guy and start with that, but you'd be lost alot.

Awakening will not change Origins in any way, but i think it'll go directly into awakening after you beat origins if you have it installed.

Go with Origins dude. If you have time/interest keep going into Awakening.

#3 Edited by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

It's... pretty important that you play Origins first before Awakening. Awakening is its own story set after Origins, but it follows a lot of story threads and themes introduced in Origins that you'll be completely lost on otherwise.

That is unless you want to spend hours on end catching up with the codex.

#4 Edited by Flappy (2352 posts) -

As a person that played through Origins, Awakening and all the DLC that was released, I'm here to tell you that you should play Origins.

If you enjoy Origins and would like to continue the story of your character, head into Awakening with your imported character.

#5 Edited by MetalBaofu (1440 posts) -

Already been answered really, but I agree you should play Origins. Playing Awakening wouldn't really make any sense without Origins first, as they are separate stories and you would miss everything in Origins. Playing them both wouldn't have you playing the game twice.

#6 Posted by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -

@metalbaofu: I was actually thinking about this but I got a little bit confused. The expansion is a continuous to the campaign and the way some people said that which one should be played first, it gave me this dilemma.

Thanks for the answers guys ! I am going to play the Origins first then I will make time for Awakening too, if it will be cool.

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9986 posts) -

Awakening is better than Origins, but you should still play Origins first.

#8 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

Wait, what era did you come from?

If you came from before 1970 you should probably train on less complicated games first.

#9 Posted by 34f3ecwdc3 (162 posts) -
#10 Edited by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@well than you should start with this, obviously.

#11 Edited by Raethen (179 posts) -

It's a pretty great series. I played through Origins as a rogue on the 360, but have been playing through on the PC off and on as a mage. Man, mages are pretty OP in this game and it is great.

#12 Posted by Yummylee (22539 posts) -
@raethen said:

It's a pretty great series. I played through Origins as a rogue on the 360, but have been playing through on the PC off and on as a mage. Man, mages are pretty OP in this game and it is great.

Especially if you go with the Arcane Warrior speciality, where you're pretty much just invincible. Playing as an Arcane Warrior was the only way I managed to beat Ser Cauthrien after you save Anora from Rowe... Despite easily being the toughest fight in the entire game, there's no reward for beating her besides not getting captured and having to escape from prison >=/ Kinda funny that they still allow you the opportunity to win, though, since she's very obviously so incredibly over-powered because you're meant to lose.

#13 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3984 posts) -

@raethen said:

I love playing as a mage but hate the origin for mage... which is where this beautiful mod comes along and lets you do say a human noble mage, which is great:

http://dragonage.nexusmods.com/mods/201/?tab=4&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fcomments%2F%3Fmod_id%3D201%26page%3D1%26sort%3DDESC%26pid%3D0%26thread_id%3D355015&pUp=1

#14 Posted by LackingSaint (1854 posts) -

Be really careful if you get the GOTY edition of Origins. A few hours into it I was given a bunch of free items that automatically changed my character relationships to either 0 or 100 depending on which one I used, and it completely fucked up the narrative progression there. Really ruined things for me.

#15 Posted by Chaser324 (6743 posts) -

Not sure how long you've been asleep, but welcome to the information era.

You should definitely play Origins first, or if you only have time to play through one, you should only play it.

#16 Edited by FLStyle (4917 posts) -

@said:

I have both options origins and awakening and I don't know if I should start directly with the awakening expansion. I also have the 1.04 and 1.05 patches, but they are not installed (yet).

What are the differences between the original one and awakening ? Would I miss anything important if I play right away Dragon Age Origins : Awakening ? I don't have enough time to play it two times unfortunately, because I saw some people saying that is better to play it first without the expansion.

Long story short -

• Awakening is the aftermath of Origins.
  • It's an expansion pack in a DLC age.

EDIT: I re-read the post and see you already acknowledged that Awakening is an expansion, whoops! But yeah, you won't get as much out of Dragon Age without playing Origins, Awakening is pretty good, not worth being your starting point though.

#17 Posted by Roger778 (960 posts) -

Awakenings is an expansion pack for Dragon Age Origins, and it takes place after Origins.

It's safe to say that you need to play Origins first.

#19 Edited by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

@jimbo said:

Awakening is better than Origins, but you should still play Origins first.

I'm also one of few who really enjoyed Awakening more than Origins, at least in terms of the moment-to-moment enjoyment (Origins kind of wins based on total content). It's definitely smaller in scope, but I feel it's better balanced and actually achieves the goals it sets out for, whereas a lot of Origins gets tied up in stupid boring crap that never resolves in anything exciting. When I do a sidequest and get some trinket or weapon in Awakening it's great, when I do it in Origins it takes three times as long and the reward is 50 silver.

#20 Posted by Milkman (17312 posts) -

Play Origins first, obviously. It's fantastic but Awakening is very good too.

Damn shame that they never made a sequel to that game. Ah well...