I like free to play games

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

To start, some background on me. I'm 35 years old, I have a good job and a decent enough amount of disposable income, enough that I don't really have to worry about spending money on my hobbies. In spite of this, I often find myself drawn to free to play games.

Over the last five or so years, the two games I have played far more than any others are War Thunder and World of Tanks. They are both free to play. After beating The Witcher this weekend (amazing game, just... so good), I found myself looking for something else to dig into, and ended up downloading Dirty Bomb. Turns out, that too is a great game.

What is it about free to play games that make them so appealing to me? I think it's the fact that they actively try to keep you hooked, they need to make sure you come back. A regular, €50 experience, well... really, once you hand over the money, they're kind of done with you. It's up to you from that point on to make sure you get your money's worth. Not so with free to play games. They constantly dole out rewards, give you shiny crates to open for random loot and hold special events, all to keep the player interested. There is always a new goal to aim for in a way that is not necessarily the case in pay to play games.

I'm of course also in the position where, if I like a game, I will not hesitate to throw some money its way which I am sure takes a lot of the worst free to play edges out of a game.

Am I alone in this?