• 73 results
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

On internet gaming forums, in general, everyone seems to hate gamestop.
Maybe it's based off of personal experience with individual stores, but I love my gamestop. 

Okay, maybe love isn't the right word, but I definitely like it.

Why?  Well, to be frank, for the cheap used games.  I know, I'm a sinner, but when you see a decent game for $3 I just have a huge impulse to pick it up.  And also, they'll have in these used game racks some of the more rare games that many say you'll only be able to find immediately after it comes out.  I've found many of those obscure japanese jrpgs sitting in there even and even those weirder srpgs that no one, not even you, know about (not that I'm really into them though).

And then there's all those special things they do.  Not really talking about the buy 2 get 1 free thing they'll do every 3rd weekend or so, but more so the tournaments. Really, why does this never get a mention?  They have them all the time. 

Yea, so I think they're a pretty good store.  Maybe it's just mine (wouldn't be too suprised considering where it's located)  but I actually like it quite a bit.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I like Gamestop too. I like all the guys and gals that work there. I was reading some other forums and every place that was mentioned, WalMart, BestBuy, Gamestop and Target were said to be evil. I say whatever, shop where you can.

brettreyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By brettreyu

The problem I have with Gamestop is that its a complete over saturation in the area.  When there is a Gamestop in the mall and then one 100 feet away in the mall parking lot it becomes to much to handle.  There trade in value is ridiculous, they will sell a used game no matter how terrible of shape it is in, and the employees are usually reason enough to leave the store.  That's just my area though, maybe other places are vastly different?

Even if the company culture changed for the better I still don't think I can ever support Gamestop after the Xbox 360 release fiasco.

Cynical_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cynical_M

Yeah I like the Gamestop I go to....the people who work there are really cool,and they're not to pushy when it comes to trade-in crap,,,

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

Individual experiences vary. Even though I haven't experienced any real issues, I still get the impression that the people working there just don't care.

Avatar image for computerplayer1
Computerplayer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Computerplayer1
brettreyu said:
"The problem I have with Gamestop is that its a complete over saturation in the area.  When there is a Gamestop in the mall and then one 100 feet away in the mall parking lot it becomes to much to handle.  There trade in value is ridiculous, they will sell a used game no matter how terrible of shape it is in, and the employees are usually reason enough to leave the store.  That's just my area though, maybe other places are vastly different?Even if the company culture changed for the better I still don't think I can ever support Gamestop after the Xbox 360 release fiasco."
Yah I'm there with yah on that one. The employees in my area aren't too bad, but the condition of the used games they sell is almost as horrendous as the money they give you for trade ins.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Dalai

I like Gamestop until I start looking at all the used games.  Fine, I'll accept old PS2 or Gamecube games, but should I be seeing used copies of Street Fighter IV so soon?

Best Buy and Walmart are the first places I usually check.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Computerplayer1 said:
"brettreyu said:
"The problem I have with Gamestop is that its a complete over saturation in the area.  When there is a Gamestop in the mall and then one 100 feet away in the mall parking lot it becomes to much to handle.  There trade in value is ridiculous, they will sell a used game no matter how terrible of shape it is in, and the employees are usually reason enough to leave the store.  That's just my area though, maybe other places are vastly different?Even if the company culture changed for the better I still don't think I can ever support Gamestop after the Xbox 360 release fiasco."
Yah I'm there with yah on that one. The employees in my area aren't too bad, but the condition of the used games they sell is almost as horrendous as the money they give you for trade ins."
Not true at all here.
They have a disk repair thing (not the crappy disk master thing they sell) and they do reject some games.

I've only had one problem with a x-men game, it wouldn't load all the time, I brought it back, they gave me a new one.  No problem.
And when I did, it was on a buy 2 get one free on used games.  They let me get 2 games free when I exchanged it due to essentially the day I came on.  This was because I showed my reciept and I had I think exactly 4 games on the reciept.  I got to pick out 2 extra.  The worker person told me about this.

You guys don't know how good that feels.  Walking in and coming out with 2 more games than originally while paying nothing more.  So awesome.

brettreyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By brettreyu
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Computerplayer1 said:
"brettreyu said:
Yah I'm there with yah on that one. The employees in my area aren't too bad, but the condition of the used games they sell is almost as horrendous as the money they give you for trade ins."
Not true at all here.They have a disk repair thing (not the crappy disk master thing they sell) and they do reject some games. I've only had one problem with a x-men game, it wouldn't load all the time, I brought it back, they gave me a new one.  No problem.And when I did, it was on a buy 2 get one free on used games.  They let me get 2 games free when I exchanged it due to essentially the day I came on.  This was because I showed my reciept and I had I think exactly 4 games on the reciept.  I got to pick out 2 extra.  The worker person told me about this.You guys don't know how good that feels.  Walking in and coming out with 2 more games than originally while paying nothing more.  So awesome. "
I never had a problem with the game actually playing but getting just the disc, or screwed up box art/manual is pretty much the norm at every Gamestop in my area.  That's what bothers me.  I've never had an experience as positive as yours at Gamestop though.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Does your gamestop not have the game's on shelves?  They just place the disk in.  If they don't have a manual, you can just ask the register if they have any spare ones.

Ordering from gamestop online can be a bitch.  Lots of the time you'll get it without them.  I do sometimes go back to gamestop and ask if I can exchange it in that case.  Granted though, they do say that may happen, but as it stands, I have no generic cases despite having some mailed to me like that.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By prinny_god
Dalai said:
"I like Gamestop until I start looking at all the used games.  Fine, I'll accept old PS2 or Gamecube games, but should I be seeing used copies of Street Fighter IV so soon?Best Buy and Walmart are the first places I usually check."
hell yeah I bought my street fighter 4 three days after it came out  used for 10 bucks less then everyone else in America
I like gamestop the problem is that people read to much into the stereotype of the gamestop worker

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Wolverine
SmugDarkLoser said:
"On internet gaming forums, in general, everyone seems to hate gamestop.
Maybe it's based off of personal experience with individual stores, but I love my gamestop. 

Okay, maybe love isn't the right word, but I definitely like it.

Why?  Well, to be frank, for the cheap used games.  I know, I'm a sinner, but when you see a decent game for $3 I just have a huge impulse to pick it up.  And also, they'll have in these used game racks some of the more rare games that many say you'll only be able to find immediately after it comes out.  I've found many of those obscure japanese jrpgs sitting in there even and even those weirder srpgs that no one, not even you, know about (not that I'm really into them though).

And then there's all those special things they do.  Not really talking about the buy 2 get 1 free thing they'll do every 3rd weekend or so, but more so the tournaments. Really, why does this never get a mention?  They have them all the time. 

Yea, so I think they're a pretty good store.  Maybe it's just mine (wouldn't be too suprised considering where it's located)  but I actually like it quite a bit."
My gamestop doesn't have any tournaments. For that reason alone I see why you like the store.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Wolverine said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"
My gamestop doesn't have any tournaments. For that reason alone I see why you like the store."
Me + My Brother + 2 of his college friends = ultimate Halo pownage.
Halo's rather popular there, we pretty much end up in the final round almost every time.

But typically the tournaments are for a random setup of 3 or so games.  Last time it was Goldeneye, Gran Turismo HD (why it wasn't prologue I don't know, we did best time), and Brawl.   Haven't played Goldeneye for a long time, Grid I've only played a demo of, and brawl, well yea, I actually do play that game.   I raped at goldeneye though, somehow.  Wasn't enough to save my suckage as GT though.   Did decent though, got a free t-shirt! lol.   These are free for the record, so it doesn't really matter.  THat being said, the halo ones (or whatever more specific ones, brawl is another popular one) will require $5 per member.  (4 per team).  But you know, we actually do win those.  The prize is given in either an item of slightly more value  or store credit. 

It all pales in comparison to the Georgia Tech Halo 3 tournaments, that's the real shit there though.  I don't actually go there yet (been accepted though!), but my brother does, so I can participate assuming im on the same team (which i obiovusly am)

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Slunks

I think everybody hates GameStop as a corporate (and rightfully so), not so much as a store you walk into. Most employees are incredibly nice because they're gamer's like us. There are certain games that we get that have undesirable scratches on them, but they usually only slide by accident; however, most of us, especially me, are picky about what we accept. We're collectors, passionate hobbyists, and enthusiastic gamers and totally understand the other side. Generally speaking, a GameStop is what its employees make it.

I like my job.

I will tip you consumers out there. You can freely ask for another copy of a disc if you're unhappy with the condition of a used game. Let them know ahead of time that you want the best one, and as long as the store is run like mine, we'll find it for you. Remember that they are used games, not "I pay cheaper and get the top-grade quality" games.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By shadows_kill

its a great store to me. getting cheap games used and some deals. only thing bad is when you sell a game and they dont pay much and they go off and sell it for twice as much.

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NukeGoBoom

Euro-fag has nothing to say :(

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BigBoss1911

I bought Fallout 3 not even 2 weeks after it was released,I dident like it (boring game imo) so i sold it to them,I got $32 back for a $60 game.Gamestop sucks imo,but at least they have a bigger game selection then best buy....

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By prinny_god
BigBoss1911 said:
"I bought Fallout 3 not even 2 weeks after it was released,I dident like it (boring game imo) so i sold it to them,I got $32 back for a $60 game.Gamestop sucks imo,but at least they have a bigger game selection then best buy...."
32 bucks is pretty good what did you expect to get 60 bucks back
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
BigBoss1911 said:
"I bought Fallout 3 not even 2 weeks after it was released,I dident like it (boring game imo) so i sold it to them,I got $32 back for a $60 game.Gamestop sucks imo,but at least they have a bigger game selection then best buy...."
Could that be it?  Do people hate gamestop because of trade it values?
Perhaps actually.  I don't trade in games, so perhaps.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I worked at Gamestop for awhile. My boss was always wanting me to bother the customers. As a customer myself, I can't stand it when employees keep bothering me when I'm trying to browse, and I'm naturally an introvert, so I had a hard time with that. Also, you're supposed to keep up with certain quotas, and your hours are tied into how well you do (one of the reasons why I left) so you're encouraged to agressively sell all that extra bullshit to your customers.

Otherwise, Gamestop provides a well enough service. Personally I don't like retail at all, don't like dealing with people. I prefer to get my games online.

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Slunks
Bellum said:
"I worked at Gamestop for awhile. My boss was always wanting me to bother the customers. As a customer myself, I can't stand it when employees keep bothering me when I'm trying to browse, and I'm naturally an introvert, so I had a hard time with that."
Fortunately for me, if I ask a customer if they need help finding anything and they say no, I can freely go back to my business. My store manager doesn't mind, because he understands. Sure, I try hard to push reserves, GPG's, and subscriptions, but only to please myself or the customer. On the other hand, if I was being dead forced to nail every customer to the wall with sales pitches, I could see where you are coming from.

But hey, retail.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Slunks said:
"Bellum said:
"I worked at Gamestop for awhile. My boss was always wanting me to bother the customers. As a customer myself, I can't stand it when employees keep bothering me when I'm trying to browse, and I'm naturally an introvert, so I had a hard time with that."
Fortunately for me, if I ask a customer if they need help finding anything and they say no, I can freely go back to my business. My store manager doesn't mind, because he understands. Sure, I try hard to push reserves, GPG's, and subscriptions, but only to please myself or the customer. On the other hand, if I was being dead forced to nail every customer to the wall with sales pitches, I could see where you are coming from.But hey, retail."
I like the Edge card personally, it's pretty much a free thing but the catch is it gets you to buy used games there/ trade in (for people who do).
But you typically (or at least I remember seeing this and signed up when it was) get a 10% discount off your total purchase when you sign up for one.  So it can easily pay for itself.  And then it comes with a free subscription to gameinformer, which I do like, if only to have to make a pile of.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MetalGearSunny

The people at my gamestop don't even know what the fuck they're talking about. I told them I was looking for a gaming modem for my PS3, he told me that all PS3's had build-in wi-fi. After an epic facepalm, I just left.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By breadfan

I am not a big fan of Gamestop, but  I buy games there sometimes.  There is just something about being nagged for 10 minutes about pre-ordering a game or being asked over and over if you would like to buy something else to get some sort of deal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't forced to do anything; I just stopped getting hours. :P

Our store was apparently doing very well relative to the rest of the region, though, and I think the manager was under a lot of pressure to keep it that way.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Karmum

Some of their trade-in pricing is lame, but I do like buying used games there, for a low price.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"The people at my gamestop don't even know what the fuck they're talking about. I told them I was looking for a gaming modem for my PS3, he told me that all PS3's had build-in wi-fi. After an epic facepalm, I just left."
What the hell's a gaming modem? Sounds more like a modem with the word gaming tacked on.
I dunno, but when you say gaming modem for a ps3, it almost sounds like a router to me.

I dunno, it's not outrageous to confuse.

Getting an a new modem itself for solely the ps3 is rather unique imo. Overkill.

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By prinny_god
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"The people at my gamestop don't even know what the fuck they're talking about. I told them I was looking for a gaming modem for my PS3, he told me that all PS3's had build-in wi-fi. After an epic facepalm, I just left."
What the hell's a gaming modem? Sounds more like a modem with the word gaming tacked on. I dunno, but when you say gaming modem for a ps3, it almost sounds like a router to me.I dunno, it's not outrageous to confuse. "
yeah unless you have 20 gig you should not need one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SDL
The edge card pays for itself, but only for hardcore gamers. You have to buy $150, I think it was, to get your money back. Mind you, I've done that in one transaction, but for most people it's not the best deal.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I often order games from their website. I've never had a problem with the company, though I don't like going into Gamestop stores so much. I don't buy used games and think selling back used games is a rip off, but all in all, I like Gamestop too. I check their site almost weekly looking for game deals.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Bellum said:
"@SDLThe edge card pays for itself, but only for hardcore gamers. You have to buy $150, I think it was, to get your money back. Mind you, I've done that in one transaction, but for most people it's not the best deal."

The edge card is $10 at 10%?
Anyway, yea, $150 isn't a huge amount.

That's not to say I do buy lots of games at a time usually, but I have, especially during the fall going into winter.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hexpane

ROFL@ rare games at Gamestop.  Ever since I've known gamestop existed, they have NEVER had a rare used game.   and back in the day if you called ahead and they said yes, when you showed up magically it would not be there.

I once had a guy tell me in response to my question as to why it was listed in stock online but when I showed up it was not in stock was.. "well that would mean we would have to keep our inventory updated w/ the database!"
Yeah no shit cock face, you actually have to do work instead of sleeping at the register or trying to flirt w/ fat chicks.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hexpane
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
What the hell's a gaming modem? Sounds more like a modem with the word gaming tacked on. I dunno, but when you say gaming modem for a ps3, it almost sounds like a router to me.I dunno, it's not outrageous to confuse. Getting an a new modem itself for solely the ps3 is rather unique imo. Overkill."
A gaming modem is exactly what it sounds like.  A modem that works for gaming. But PS3 is broadband only so IDK why an epic phace plam for that.  I don't think PS3 is compatible w/ 56k.  Then again there was a workaround for the original SOCOM, it was BB only but you could trick it w/ modem... and then lag out everyone's game..
OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34  Edited By OGCartman

Definately, the used games are a great deal.

GameStop itself is a good store, but if you start trading in and relying on it for every video game need it can get pretty shitty.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By crunchUK

Does gamestop have some kind of alt-name in the uk like tescos and walkers for example?

ZenGaijin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By ZenGaijin

Coming from a someone that knows about what they go through. They push the reserves and magazine subscriptions because they have to its part of their job and you get yelled at if you don't perform. It' a job they don't do it because they like to and the people you see in the store aren't the face of the company they just work there.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#37  Edited By natetodamax

lol @ the negative rating for every single one of Smug's posts

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Claude
natetodamax said:
"lol @ the negative rating for every single one of Smug's posts"
Hell yeah, bastards. Wrap him up and call him the Wii for christ sake.
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
natetodamax said:
"lol @ the negative rating for every single one of Smug's posts"
it ok i think hes come to expect it,

just like how i expect him to be saying stupid things when i enter a thread that he created (like today)......
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LiquidPrince

Canada only has EB from what I'm aware of, and they're okay.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BiggerBomb

This is why people don't like you.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I like GameStop too. I don't get why people have such a huge beef with it.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

I agree you can get way more money for your games on ebay, dawdle, or amazon. Its not that Gamestop is bad its just not the best.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DoctorTran

I like Gamestop depending on who is working there. The current crew is cool. The older crews sucked. The even older crew was pure awesome.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By kush

I don't have a problem with GS at all. I understand their policies...they are a business and there is a reason that they're #1. You may feel like you're getting screwed, but you can find ways around the system and you can often find used games cheaper there than at a local, "mom and pop" store. If I was rich I'd buy all my games new, but since I can't just throw money around I'm not going to avoid a store that may have a few bad policies.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Snipzor

I used to like my GS (Electronic Boutique in my area) but they have become elitist and up their own ass about everything. I felt unclean about shopping there, so I had to go somewhere else. So I just go wherever I can. It's not like I buy that many games anymore.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Osaladin

I went into my local Gamestop on Saturday, and asked if they had any used copies of Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner for sale. The guy behind the desk asked me if it was for Xbox 360, Wii, or the PS3. I just turned around and walked out.

In my experience with Gamestops in the previous cities I lived in, the employees had no idea about games. It's kind of sad.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By jakob187

I prefer Game Crazy.

Metalheads and folks who actually know something about games work at Game Crazy.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#49  Edited By gla55jAw

I don't mind gamestop. I love when they have buy 2 get one free. For the most part the guys that work there are cool. Except the the store that is a few blocks away from my house has this annoying manager who is probably like 2 years older than me (im 22) who is THAT guy at gamestop who tells me what games I HAVE to pre-order and that I need the stradegy guide for a FPS. He annoyed to the point where for a while I went out of my way to another gamestop just so I wouldn't have to deal with him. Other than that guy, I've never had any problems, If a game didn't work beacuse It was scratched up they've always let me exchange it.

SaucySala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SaucySala

Everyone at my Gamestop is super nice. I can usually go there and hang out with them for a few hours if they're none too busy.