• 132 results
#1 Edited by RonGalaxy (3098 posts) -

This site is amazing, the people who run this site are amazing, the mods are amazing; I love this site. Is it perfect? No, but that shouldn't diminish what it has accomplished and what it can accomplish. So I'm making this thread for everyone to share their giant bomb experience, what this site/community means to you and what it has done for you.

I used to hate this site. I couldn't understand what it was about, and I had a hard time agreeing with the views expressed by it's creators. But something clicked, I realized that beyond the silly videos, the strong opinions, the debates is a community that, at the end of the day, can come back together and singularly and evenly rejoice in this crazy thing we love and believe in so much. We can look past our differences and become one of the strongest communities out there.

We've laughed together, we've cringed together, we've raised more money than reddit, gamespot, huge gaming communities during Extra Life, we watched the site go from Whiskey to CBSi, we've seen the tricaster antics of Vinny, we've endured the questionable gaming skills of Brad (#teambrad), we've seen Jeff get worked up about a green dinosaur that shoots eggs, we've seen people come and go, and we've mourned the loss of a friend. We've taken a site run by a handful of people and turned it into a fucking contender.

Can we still be better? Yes. Have we faltered along the way? Yes. Has the worst been brought out of us? Yes. We are imperfect and it's impossible not to be, but the best this site and this community has to offer is the best there is. I've become a more understanding person because of this site. I went from hating Jeff and his dumb opinions (no bean more meat chili? what the heck jeff?) to loving the man regardless of them. If you're reading this there's a good chance you like this site for one reason or another. I implore you to do the best that you can and make this community even better than it already is. No hate allowed, only love and understanding! It doesn't take anything to inject a little bit of respect into the way you discuss your feelings/opinions, and it makes you feel better (trust me, I've been on both ends of the love/hate train. Love is better every single time).

And to put a bow on this thread...

Thank you Giant Bomb! I love you and will stand by you through the good and the bad.

#2 Posted by SunBroZak (1077 posts) -

It's a nice place, and it'll remain a nice place despite the hubbub of today. I'm sure the new hires will prove to be great additions to the team and any criticism that might have been leveled at the site will be addressed in an adult manner at a more appropriate time. And yeah, despite myself only being here for about a year I can safely say I adore this site and I hope to see it prosper. So thanks Giant Bomb, for eating up all my free time and replacing it with weird, video-game goodness.

#3 Posted by Blue_Cube (164 posts) -

Could someone explain to me what the hell is even going on? All is see is a lot of apologies on twitter over something.

#4 Posted by mikey87144 (1728 posts) -

I like the fact that they're always ahead of the curve. Quicklooks, the talking over the press conference stream, Let's Plays, (The Endurance Runs), their love of old games, their love of bad games and most importantly Jeff selling the virtues of living the boneless chicken life.

#5 Posted by TheAdmin (712 posts) -

Could someone explain to me what the hell is even going on? All is see is a lot of apologies on twitter over something.

Yes please... what exactly IS the deal?

#6 Posted by Bocam (3712 posts) -

Somehow having a few bad apples (members) makes the entire tree (community) shit

#7 Posted by Stackboy (495 posts) -

I love that this website celebrates what I love too and has a community that is generally pretty positive.

#8 Posted by spraynardtatum (2806 posts) -

Love Conquers All!!!!!

#9 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Eh, its alright.

#10 Edited by Flacracker (1652 posts) -

@bocam said:

@blue_cube said:

Somehow having a few bad apples (members) makes the entire tree (community) shit

It is not the Giant Bomb community doing that shit. Look at the number of posts of the people who say shitty things on our own forums. Maybe 1 or 2? New accounts. These people are from the likes of 4chan. They are not the GB community that interacts with the comments and forums on a daily basis.

#11 Posted by Bocam (3712 posts) -

@bocam said:

@blue_cube said:

It is not the Giant Bomb community doing that shit. Look at the number of posts of the people who say shitty things on our own forums. Maybe 1 or 2? New accounts. These people are from the likes of 4chan. They are not the GB community that interacts with the comments and forums on a daily basis.

I know that, it's people on twitter that don't.

#12 Posted by Astromarine (77 posts) -

@bocam: But it does, to an extent. People coming into the forum don't really care if we're REALLY nice to each other if they see the bullshit that always, always, ALWAYS thrown at people like Leigh, or Zoe, or Cara. Fuck, at Patrick for that matter. being good dudes to other good dudes is fucking easy, man. pat on the back for it, and all that. but there's times where this community REALLY lets itself down.

#13 Posted by Ezakael (931 posts) -

Giantbomb is fantastic and I'm glad to be here. It's sad our community is being labelled shitty because of horrible people that don't even post here.

#14 Edited by 5socks5 (189 posts) -

@flacracker: I'm pretty sure most of them are popping up from a certain reddit community. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any real way for the mod team and staff to curb the trolls and jerks.

#15 Posted by Blue_Cube (164 posts) -

@bocam said:

@blue_cube said:

So why has this become such a huge thing? All communities have troll accounts that say the dumbest shit. Jeff doesn't usually publicly denounce something some forum trolls have said or done.

#16 Posted by Cecil (22 posts) -

I love giant bomb and am excited to see it grow. Welcome Dan and Jason! Sorry for the shitstorm that was today.

#17 Posted by afabs515 (1019 posts) -

I'm still not sure what happened. Is it about the new hires or...?

#18 Posted by Lausebub (213 posts) -

Yeah, this site is pretty fucking great.

PS: I feel bad for the US, you actually fought at the end of the game, but Belgium was the stronger team overall. I really hope this does more for football/soccer.

#20 Edited by Lab392 (253 posts) -

@blue_cube:

It became a big topic on Twitter. It's honestly the first time that I've seen Giant Bomb and/or its community members at the center of a controversy this large. People were attacking people and saying messed up stuff in the name of defending Giant Bomb, so it needed to be addressed.

Most of the shitty stuff happened on Twitter, reddit, and 4chan. But it was a lot of shitty stuff that couldn't be left unaddressed.

#21 Posted by poisonmonkey (329 posts) -

I have loved this site since I discovered it during the Persona endurance run days.

For me its content to read/watch/listen to to unwind, I don't watch soap operas or most other evening TV shows, after work I put on a Quick Look or a Unprofessional Friday to unwind and escape.

I am totally devastated that the "community" of the site I love seems to be tearing itself apart :-(

#22 Posted by ScrambledGregs (25 posts) -

Just wanted to jump on the positivity train and say that I love Giant Bomb. One of the biggest regrets of my life is that I don't say positive things about things on the Internet more often, because it seems so much more fun and easy to say mean things.

So: whoever was being shitty in the name of Giant Bomb does NOT at all represent the Giant Bomb staff and community that I know, love, and (rarely) interact with.

Also, welcome to the new hires! I know you'll fit right in and find your niche and end up just as awesome as Patrick. Since the days when it was just Jeff and Ryan, I don't think Giant Bomb has ever had a bad addition.

#23 Edited by makeyourself270 (10 posts) -

My introduction to Giantbomb was the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run. And I've gotta say that defines what made me immediately drawn to the community of the site. I later came to appreciate each of the staff members for what they brought to the table. I love Jeff for constantly reminding me of/exposing me to niche old shit that was not on my radar but that I have gotten to explore thanks to him. I love Vinny for just being a stellar example of a decent and comedic human being. I appreciate that Patrick looks at games reflexively the way I do (sometimes being a gamer/sociologist combination is lonely). I love Brad for making me feel like I'm not that bad at games, Drew for all of his video flair and his awesome nongaming adventures, and Alex and Rorie for the happiness they derive from wrestling and puppies respectively. I also love Ryan for being just such a damn genuine human being and bringing a bigger smile to my face in the 30 minutes i spent with him at PAX East than most people do for the duration of my time with them (proof in photo). I still miss that great big joy of a man. I trust all of their judgment, and that I will grow to appreciate what the two new duders they've chosen. I've never written on the boards much, but this seemed like the perfect time. This community rocks and will continue to rock.

#24 Posted by HellknightLeon (464 posts) -

I love Giant Bomb. I don't use the forums dew to the fact that even this community is rotten. I just watch and comment on videos and such. Something I wonder into the forums if something looks super awesome but almost never post. I've been apart of Giant Bomb for a long long time and God willing I always will be. XD

I will say, change is hard and scary. I can see stuff like this getting everyone worked up. Forums... you guys suck. Giant Bomb... I love you. (and people that help the site ie. mods, mailbag people like me and so on and so on)

#25 Posted by ShotgunLincoln (281 posts) -

Don't even know what happened. I've been out all day buying a cooling pad for my laptop because somehow it's lasted four years on a flat, wooden surface. I will say though, there's a reason that I latched onto this site so strongly. It's an amazing website and my de-facto favorite one on the entire internetting.

#26 Posted by spraynardtatum (2806 posts) -
#27 Edited by Excast (905 posts) -

To be honest, a lot of shitty stuff has been said both to and from the people being critical about Giant Bomb. It isn't a one way street. Some of the attempts to paint the site as misogynistic or antagonistic towards diversity were wrong and the responses to that were no doubt quite vile in some cases.

I love this site. They do a lot of positive work with very little manpower or support. They give a voice to a lot of folks from all sides of the gaming industry big or small.

#28 Posted by Zevvion (1858 posts) -

I liked Giant Bomb ever since the main GameSpot crew left. Which is since the beginning. I only made an account a while later. I was way into not creating accounts for stuff back then for some reason.

I kinda disliked it at first though. I just really liked Jeff, Brad and Alex. I didn't think much of Ryan at first on GameSpot, he was just kind of there. But I feel he became who he was on this site and after I saw who he was, I loved him. I never heard of Vinny before, I liked him. Same thing with Drew. Patrick came later, I liked him. It's been said countless times, but yeah, it is a personality driven site. That's the core reason why I'm here. In addition, I really like Quick Looks and the Bombcast. I also think that the community is much smarter/mature/awesomer than most other gaming site communities are. Even though this might be a bit ironic to say at this particular point in time, but I still think it's true.

#29 Posted by RonGalaxy (3098 posts) -

In fact we're so great, we respond to even the slightest hint that we're not, by making another thread to talk about how great we are. Go team!

please read my post all the way through! thank you!

#30 Posted by csl316 (8413 posts) -

I like them Quick Looks.

#31 Edited by bemusedchunk (684 posts) -

Love is stronger than hate.

And I love Giant Bomb.

#32 Posted by eshchan (47 posts) -

This site is great. Needs more puppies.

#33 Posted by LikeaSsur (1510 posts) -

@theadmin: @blue_cube: Giant Bomb hires 2 white dudes, female journalists criticize them for not hiring anything but, internet attacks, it's all Giant Bomb's fault (somehow).

#34 Posted by dudeglove (7740 posts) -

OP is more fun to read if you do it in an actual drunk Dave Lang voice.

#35 Edited by Blue_Cube (164 posts) -

@lab392: Thanks for clearing that up a bit.

And to everyone that feels that this forum is rotten I would say that in my personal experience this community (including the forums) has been the most helpful, creative, and fun community I have ever been a part of. Don't let a fraction of its users ruin it for you because in my opinion they do not represent the giantbomb community at all.

#36 Posted by Darkstalker (882 posts) -

This community used to be the best forum on the internet, it was chill and fun. An anomaly for internet boards, it still is but some stuff today. To harass someone else because of their opinion so much they vow to never play games again? The worst, I hope anyone involved never visits the site again.

But we can get past this. Let's get back to what were best at. Being an open community of a bunch of dorks having a fun time. I say dorks in the most loving way.

#37 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

@blue_cube: It amazes me how the community will jump onto a thread to anybody that posts asking for help and advice on building a computer. I've seen countless number of these and every time the community is right there, even going the extra mile and putting together a list of parts and prices and multiple options! Every time I see one of those threads I expect everyone to finally just snap and tell people to do the research and what not, but nope, no matter how many times they've helped, they're right there once again for the new guy.

That's what makes the active users great here.

#38 Posted by Veovisjohn (34 posts) -

Stop the hate and start the LOVE! I'm jumping on the love train! CHOOO CHOOO!!!

#39 Edited by Aegon (5485 posts) -

I find it strange that Jeff, Patrick, Alex and maybe more are writing angry posts about some shitty comments somewhere. I think it's better to ignore and not acknowledge them. Let mods deal with shitty comments on the site when need be. No need to spit bile all of a sudden at an audience that largely doesn't even know what's going on. If they had ignored it, then the rest of the audience would've forgotten about it eventually.

#40 Posted by GTCknight (693 posts) -

I've always loved this site. I may not have commented or make all that many posts, but I always loved to find a good dumb/interesting thread and read it for a bit. I could go on, but that's not my thing so I just wanted to say that everyone of you duders (staff and fellow users alike) are the reason why GB became my defacto place for everything videogames.

#41 Posted by craigymail (194 posts) -

I like Giants and (metaphorical) Bombs. I thought this would be the place for me. And I love it!

#42 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

I would die for Giant Bomb. But what if, what if the site really did decide to turn heel?

#43 Posted by Darkstalker (882 posts) -

@aegon: this is usually a good thing but i don't blame them for saying stuff because of the extremeness of the comments. I dont think there is a best answer for this kind of thing.

#44 Posted by Lab392 (253 posts) -

@aegon:

This is a situation where ignoring it would hurt them in the long term. It was affecting people outside of the site to such an extent that silence would seem like apathy at best and complicity at worst.

#46 Posted by rmanthorp (3911 posts) -

I love you!

#47 Posted by Demoskinos (14751 posts) -

I don't care what anyone says I've been here long enough to know that this community is awesome at its heart. Its unfortunate that we've had this multiple times but we've had people post very suicidal messages before on here and the entire community reached out in support. When patricks father passed away that thread that was made for him was filled with nothing but the nicest of messages.

And lets not forget when we lost Ryan. That is the biggest outpouring I've ever seen from the community. Even when people post hilariously awkward relationship issues people actually bother to give real answers. Its unfortunate some loud assholes on the internet are tarnishing the image of the community for a lot of people.

I've been able to connect with a bunch of awesome people thanks to this site and I'll continue to proudly be a member of it and tell other people how great it is.

#48 Edited by shinjin977 (755 posts) -

A lot of shit is going down today. This is how the FGC feels when one rotten fish stank up the whole barrel. I am a proud member of the FGC, GB and gaming industry at large. There are a lot of angry misguided assholes out there that will try to bring you down. We as men, women, black, white, asian, gay, straight or Bi can persevere together. Love will conquers all.

#49 Posted by PimblyCharles (1365 posts) -

@rongalaxy: You have a real knack for writing. What you wrote was absolutely beautiful.

#50 Posted by l4wd0g (1933 posts) -

It's my gaming entertainment/news destination for sure. I pay $50 annually see everything they offer and I plan on continuing to do so.

I might not always agree with everyone ones opinions, I feel like Giant Bomb and the community is my Internet home.