I'm confused...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Rorie's short write up on Ryan said that Ryan had passed on the 3rd. But, it seems like literally everyone just found out about it yesterday. None of the crew seemed to know and no one posted anything about it to even hint at bad news.I just want to hear an explanation. Maybe it is a typo or maybe the family decided to withhold the information fora few days. Does anyone know why we had a five day delay?

I'd look for an answer myself but I can't do it. Just being on the forums right now makes me feel fucking awful and I really can not handle going through and reading everyone's expressions of grief.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By sirdesmond

It happened on the 3rd but they decided to publicly announce it on Monday. The GB duders and some others found out about it last week.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm sure they'll address it at some point. From what I can tell, something happened on the 3rd, but Ryan didn't pass until this weekend.

atomslayer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he passed on the 3rd, if something happened and he died this weekend then they would have said he died this weekend in the posts.

HalloweenBlues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most likely it was so the family had time to grieve and not be bothered by the internet. Plus with the holiday, it was probably better to announce it on Monday so that everyone could see it.

Turbyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure they'll address it at some point. From what I can tell, something happened on the 3rd, but Ryan didn't pass until this weekend.

That's incorrect, not to be rude, I don't want anyone to be bothered at a time like this. Ryan passed on the third.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@iburningstar: People knew, but for whatever reason they chose to wait until today to make it public. Maybe to give the people closest to him enough time to digest everything before being bombarded by the internet? Let them try and enjoy what they could out of the holiday weekend without having to respond to twitter comments every 5 seconds?

https://twitter.com/JohnVignocchi/status/353589035496775680

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StarvingGamer

First sentence of the article: "Ryan Davis passed away on July 3rd."

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turbyne said:

@sharkethic said:

That's incorrect, not to be rude, I don't want anyone to be bothered at a time like this. Ryan passed on the third.

You weren't being rude, so no offence taken. That was just what I got from reading the different things being posted.

QuaglarTheIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By QuaglarTheIV

Has there been any information about what happened? This came out of no where and none of the articles I read have said anything about how he died.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By subyman

Thinking back, the guys may have known during the freedom stream. If so, they held together well.

Turbyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subyman said:

Thinking back, the guys may have known during the freedom stream. If so, they held together well.

They did not. That would be ridiculous.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@subyman said:

No I doubt that.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StarvingGamer
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegax said:

@starvinggamer said:

@iburningstar: People knew, but for whatever reason they chose to wait until today to make it public. Maybe to give the people closest to him enough time to digest everything before being bombarded by the internet? Let them try and enjoy what they could out of the holiday weekend without having to respond to twitter comments every 5 seconds?

I still find it kind of strange that they all agreed to not talk about it for such a long period of time. Not even a peep. This leads me to believe that everyone that heard the news on the 3rd was specifically told not to say a word. and being bombarded by twitter/the internet? Here's an idea...PUT DOWN THE PHONE. You can't be bothered by the internet unless you're actively looking for it.

Dude, they waited till Monday to announce it. That is not at all strange in any way.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegax said:

I still find it kind of strange that they all agreed to not talk about it for such a long period of time. Not even a peep. This leads me to believe that everyone that heard the news on the 3rd was specifically told not to say a word. and being bombarded by twitter/the internet? Here's an idea...PUT DOWN THE PHONE. You can't be bothered by the internet unless you're actively looking for it.

Why? Where's the advantage in putting the news out there before the people involved were ready for it to be a known thing instead of waiting until they were in a proper headspace to appreciate and respond to people offering their condolences?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@omegax said:

Why? Where's the advantage in putting the news out there before the people involved were ready for it to be a known thing instead of waiting until they were in a proper headspace to appreciate and respond to people offering their condolences?

^This. As well as being able to personally break the bad news to loved ones so that they hear it from a place of compassion... and not from message boards. This isn't the time to judge people.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's not like we have a right to know such things immediatly. It's their decision and they have every right to do what they did.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#20  Edited By BeachThunder

I understand why they would withhold the information, but it does feel a little weird hearing the news this far down the track; I'm amazed at how well the other staff members seem to have kept their composure.

Did anyone here put any of the pieces together beforehand? I mean, there were no Tweets on his account since the 3rd.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand people's curiosity regarding this unexpected tragedy, but it doesn't matter whether we found out last week, today, or next week. When we learned about it doesn't change that Ryan has died. He is gone today, just as he has been for the last few days, and he will still be gone tomorrow. That is the reality we are all dealing with now.

Rincewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@beachthunder: Well when I looked on twitter on the 5th I said how shitty that western movie must have been if he's stopped being a tweet machine.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegax said:

@starvinggamer said:

How about you don't be a condescending jerk to the people who lost someone so important to them at a time where it is still raw? Maybe lay off the typical internet assholery for a week or so?

I'll leave it at that, not in the mood to argue today.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@starvinggamer: That was my immediate thought too. Seems like the right thing to do in the spirit of who Ryan was. Giving people time to enjoy their frivolous, crazy, holiday weekend.

All things in time, we ought to be patient and supportive right now.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

He died on the 3rd. I imagine that they held the info passed the 4th and waiting for everyone to get back from vacation and such. It's probably a safe bet the guys didn't know before the Freedom Stream. Wait till tonight's Bombcast I'm sure that's where they'll go into some detail.

TheKreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer said:

No. If and when they want us to know, they'll tell us.

Agreed with this sentiment 110%
I honestly can't believe that people are speaking as if we're OWED such sensitive information as the loss of a loved one.

That just seems so callous to me.

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It is a bit surreal seeing some posts by the guys after the third, they seemed so... normal. I know it's just tweets and the like, but based on Brad's tweets after they broke the news, it was staggering and a little confusing how they kept it all in. I sure couldn't wait that long to tell a legion of fans about what happened to my best friend.

Still, I don't blame them. I just feel so awful about his wife and parents... What a travesty.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28 MattyFTM  Moderator

He died on the 3rd. Everyone close to Ryan found out that day or the day after. They kept it quiet until yesterday. Watch the last two minutes of Patrick's Michael Jordan Encyclopedia Bombastica again. He knew. And it's gut wrenching to see him struggle to finish that video now we know why.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PhilESkyline

These may have been the wises of his family and friends and I completely understand. Since he passed on the 3rd sharing that information the same day or any day over the Independence Day weekend would have crushed the gaming community during a time of celebration. I don't think Ryan would have wanted that. Thank you for GB Crew, Davis Family and Friends for allows us to enjoy our time off around love ones, great food, drinks, entertainment and America.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'm going to go ahead and just lock this down for the time being.

Ryan's closest friends and family deserved the time to personally inform everyone and do a little private grieving, and they've publicly handled this tragedy with class and composure in the way that they felt comfortable doing so. There's nothing to really question here.