I'm curious what the general consensus is. Do you think Jeff/Vinny used an FAQ for the P4 Endurance Run?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By kishinfoulux

Poll I'm curious what the general consensus is. Do you think Jeff/Vinny used an FAQ for the P4 Endurance Run? (189 votes)

Yes 28%
No 71%

Simple question. Explanations more then welcome. Seems a fair amount seem convinced that, at least Jeff, was aware of what to do.

• 
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

I don't think so, but I'm pretty sure they received a lot of hints from the users. In fact I think the identity of the 'culprit' was also spoiled to them before hand as well, and they only feigned their 'deduction' that it was Adachi.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MAGZine

It's going to be skewed by people like me who have no idea 'yes' or 'no', but just want to see the results.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By jay_ray

@yummylee: There were plenty of signs pointing to that person being the culprit so I am not surprised they deduced who the culprit was; unless they said somewhere that it was spoiled for them.

On topic, they got tips by the community and they definitely used google on the test answers. But I think the only time they looked up important stuff was when the choices for the good/true ending took place.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

There were definitely a bunch of instances where they used a guide that had the answers for the test questions.

For the rest of the game? Nah.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@jay_ray said:

@yummylee: There were plenty of signs pointing to that person being the culprit so I am not surprised they deduced who the culprit was; unless they said somewhere that it was spoiled for them.

On topic, they got tips by the community and they definitely used google on the test answers. But I think the only time they looked up important stuff was when the choices for the good/true ending took place.

Oh, I know, it's a pretty obvious twist all the same and they would have figured it out anyway. But I do remember reading someone say that... someone spoiled the ending for them via a fanmade comic or something. It was a looong time ago, though, and I never saw any actual confirmation, just that one rumour.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

@yummylee said:
@jay_ray said:

Oh, I know, it's a pretty obvious twist all the same and they would have figured it out anyway. But I do remember reading someone say that... someone spoiled the ending for them via a fanmade comic or something. It was a looong time ago, though, and I never saw any actual confirmation, just that one rumour.

It's entirely possible, but if their deduction was an act then it was a pretty convincing one to me. I only just now finished watching it and, no, I don't feel like they cheated their way through it. Well, OK, they did a little but I don't think the plot was spoiled for them a whole lot. I know they got some gameplay help here and there, just not necessarily story spoilers.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#7  Edited By StarvingGamer

Not a FAQ per se, but I doubt they managed to reach the true ending by pure happenstance. It's way too obfuscated for that.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By bigjeffrey

Yes, they used them for the test. But who wouldnt they are hard

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: I think the main reason to use a FAQ in Persona is to figure out what personas to fuse and how to beat bosses. And from what I recall I doubt they used a FAQ for either of those. And I agree, if the story was spoiled for them and they faked the deducting then it convinced me too.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They had a little help but it's fine. I don't think they would have gotten the true ending otherwise and it made for better content.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By eskimo

If you freeze frame you can clearly see Charlie's head move back... and to the left.

Back, and to the left.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Hunter5024

I think Jeff knew who the culprit was, but Vinny seemed genuine.

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mustachio

@believer258 said:

@yummylee said:
@jay_ray said:

It's entirely possible, but if their deduction was an act then it was a pretty convincing one to me. I only just now finished watching it and, no, I don't feel like they cheated their way through it. Well, OK, they did a little but I don't think the plot was spoiled for them a whole lot. I know they got some gameplay help here and there, just not necessarily story spoilers.

Jeff mentions in an episode late into the game that since the recording of the previous episode he'd been linked to the Hiimdaisy comic that both spoiled who the killer was and also revealed the gas station attendant twist. As far as I can tell he didn't tell Vinny, though, and you can see during some of the endgame deliberations that Jeff was trying to steer Vinny in the right direction in some cases while being very careful of his wording.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I don't really care, but hey if they did I appreciate the extra effort to make our entertainment better.

Chtasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chtasm

Wasn't Jeff specifically looking up test answers on his phone?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they probably had some shit spoiled in the comments.

and i know jeff looked up answers to those stupid tests, cus why not?

in the end, who really cares? i wouldnt blame them, playing a game as long as that in such short bursts often times with long periods between playing. yeah, i'd forget wtf i was doing too.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By envane

id asuume if they had looked at a guide they would have realised how off-track they were ( for the completionist run those faqs tend to promote) and stuff like missed social links etc .. id say a faq was used to understand some game mechanics but the rest was winging it.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They got blasted by so many people trying to guide them that some things might have fallen through (even though missing the key moments would only require a reload of the last save), but they aren't the kind of guys to feign ignorance I would think.

@eskimo said:

If you freeze frame you can clearly see Charlie's head move back... and to the left.

Back, and to the left.

High five~

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There really should be a "Caring about this is stupid." option.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just curious really. No harm in that. Don't take this topic as "grrrrr they cheated I'm angry". It's more how many people think they happened to stumble into the right answers against that being unlikely. Also I should've specified but I meant using an FAQ for getting the True Ending, not really test answers and stuff.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TruthTellah

@kishinfoulux said:

@truthtellah said:

I'm just curious really. No harm in that. Don't take this topic as "grrrrr they cheated I'm angry". It's more how many people think they happened to stumble into the right answers against that being unlikely. Also I should've specified but I meant using an FAQ for getting the True Ending, not really test answers and stuff.

Ah, it's hard to tell by the original post what the intent was. It did just come off as some kind of complaint about a rather old topic, but I suppose it's a fair curiosity. Though, I thought Jeff has been pretty clear about this. They did get help to get the True Ending, as enough people were tipping them off to it the whole time. Heck, people spoiled all sorts of things in the story, but they still tried to be surprised at times. That doesn't mean they used a FAQ, but they certainly used some information provided to them and online help with a few things. They tried to do the best they could without assistance, but it was clearly necessary a few times. The Endurance Run was entertainment, and they did eventually use some resources to make it more entertaining and give people the best experience possible.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_ray said:

@believer258: I think the main reason to use a FAQ in Persona is to figure out what personas to fuse and how to beat bosses. And from what I recall I doubt they used a FAQ for either of those. And I agree, if the story was spoiled for them and they faked the deducting then it convinced me too.

I'm like 99% sure they used a guide/FAQ/detailed instructions from a user to properly prepare for the fight against Yukiko's shadow. I remember them reading out specific instruction on how to fuse a particular Persona that would have fire resistance.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_ray said:

I'm like 99% sure they used a guide/FAQ/detailed instructions from a user to properly prepare for the fight against Yukiko's shadow. I remember them reading out specific instruction on how to fuse a particular Persona that would have fire resistance.

Yeah, I don't think they ever set out to use FAQs, but when they hit difficulties like that, they made the right decision and used some help to keep the Endurance Run going at a good pace. It would have hurt the run for them to be stuck at one part for too long or for them to get to the end of the game and have people say the game wasn't truly "complete" until they got the True Ending.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I think so to get the true ending. They did it for the people!

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

jeff had the true ending revealed to him through a spoiler link. He kept a straight face and tried to guide Vinny to the true ending without telling him what was going on. They used a guide on the test, because that test is not made for Americans.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Only for the very end to find the true ending. Really hard and random to do everything they did to get it. Otherwise no.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Some users were trying their hardest to spoil it for them, especially with a certain comic strip showing that the gas attendant was the "real" culprit, which Jeff saw early on by accident. And if they cheated their way to the true ending...does it really matter that much? It gave us another 40+ episodes, which I'm only happy about.

I'm fairly confident, however, that the only parts they cheated on were the tests and funky student questions, which in my book was totally understandable. I remember one of the weird school questions was about some Japanese author, and when Jeff googled it the first hit was to a Persona FAQ (which says a lot about the questions that were in the game, haha).

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Winternet

Your question is ambiguous and there's room for more than an yes or no answer.

The right answer is that they did not use a FAQ to play the game, they only used external help for the school exams and Funky's riddles and also to not miss the True Ending.

But, this is not a matter of debate really. They were pretty straightforward with this.

@bisonhero said:

@jay_ray said:

Yeah, I don't think they ever set out to use FAQs, but when they hit difficulties like that, they made the right decision and used some help to keep the Endurance Run going at a good pace. It would have hurt the run for them to be stuck at one part for too long or for them to get to the end of the game and have people say the game wasn't truly "complete" until they got the True Ending.

They got help with the Yukiko fight from some comments in a previous video, not from going to a FAQ themselves. And also, if you remember it correctly, it was a 2-part plan. Get Red Wall to cast on Chie and Tap Sodas to replenish their SP. Of course, they only realized that you can't use Taps in battle when they were almost out of SP during the battle and that almost cost them the fight, but somehow they did it. I'm sure that if they were following instructions from a FAQ, there wouldn't be a Tap Sodas plan to fight Yukiko's boss.

And I don't recall them using any other help to fight bosses in the game apart from that first one. In fact, the next boss they fought, they got their butts kicked.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Even if they looked up how to get the true ending, I'm glad that they did. Otherwise, not at all. They stumbled their way through the game and missed out on a gigantic amount of (mostly needless) side content. Even the path to the "true ending" is obvious if it's something you're expecting, and possibly even if you aren't (I guess I can't remove myself from the game enough to say so). It's a little less obvious than the path through Persona 3, but not impossible to figure out.

I mean, after 100 hours, to not get the true ending would have been a disappointment.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they had used one for Naoto's social link. They picked the only choice that reversed her romantic entanglement with Charlie at level 7. Also, Vinny could of maxed out with fox by fishing during a sunny day. So, no, they did not use a FAQ consistently.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winternet: The funny thing is, they messed up the red wall part of the plan too. They were supposed to have Senri inherit it from Slime, Senri is resistant to fire and Slime is weak to it, but they just kept switching in Slime to cast it instead.

Makes the fact they actually won even better.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Winternet

@petiew: Yes. Just one of the many times that they almost inexplicably survived an encounter.