#1 Posted by EricSmith (316 posts) -

A lot of you guys are some depressing motherfuckers who apparently want half the world to burn, as long as it isn't your half of the world. The problem is, you are split about 50/50 at this point, so you basically want the whole damn world to burn.

I've bought both consoles already, and in the past few days no information or fun has been gleaned from either side in a thread.. It is a bunch of people taking potshots at each other and their console of choice. Just relax, and have some fun playing games instead of hating everyone else.

I'm playing Battlefield 4 on PC if anyone would like to join me.

#2 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

@ericsmith: We're talking about two competing consoles here, fun doesn't factor into the equation - it's all about being able to make another human being feel like a piece of shit for making a choice other than the "right choice"

#3 Posted by isomeri (1226 posts) -

@ericsmith: I totally understand your frustration, but I have a morbid curiosity towards these sorts of things which keeps me scrolling through all the shit. It's kind of like watching Fox News from time to time.

#4 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

People need to know the differences especially if they are that big as right now. Why would you not want any more infos before you spend 400 or 500$?

#5 Edited by AMyggen (2605 posts) -

@ericsmith:

I think it's too easy calling all the people who post in such threads fanboys who want to see the other side fail. Some are, but I'd say that most (like me) just like to speculate and are interested in what these things will actually look like. I'm not gonna buy any next gen system before march next year at the earliest, just no games I care about in the launch window, and that console will probably be a PS4. But that's not because I'm a Sony fanboy, the 360 was my console of choice most of this generation, but because the PS4, right now, seems technically superior, and looking at the past three years, I have more faith in Sony's first party studios.

To just say that people want to see "the whole damn world burn" is way too simplistic. And I'd say that some informations has been gleaned from these past threads, mainly that the Xbone is coming in extremely hot, and will have performance issues compared to the PS4, at least at and near launch.

#6 Posted by joshwent (2143 posts) -

I've bought both consoles already...

Okay. Maybe, consider that the majority of us are not wealthy enough to buy both. Though at the same time, many of us are passionate about games and want to experience the beginnings of this new console generation as best as we can. So we try to find out as much about what they will be like as possible. So there are (and will be) tons of threads about the XOne and the PS4.

Maybe, consider that not everyone who's discussing these two gizmos is a jerk, and that no one is forcing you to read the discussions if you don't like them.

And maybe, don't start a thread, that presumably you want responses to, by baselessly insulting everyone.

Thanks, but I really don't want to join you.

#7 Posted by xxThe_Goatboyxx (1 posts) -

Brand loyalty is a cult and I think video game sites hold some partial responsibility in their reporting by fanning the same damn flames.

#8 Edited by Nictel (2385 posts) -

Good for you being able to buy both, not everyone can. They want to know which is better to get for them. Also on the GB forums it is way less bad than at say a neogaf or, save us all, a gamefaqs.

#9 Edited by AMyggen (2605 posts) -

@nictel said:

Good for you being able to buy both, not everyone can. They want to know which is better to get for them. Also on the GB forums it is way less bad than at say a neogaf or, save us all, a gamefaqs.

I'm guessing that Gamespot's System Wars section is even worse than it usually is right now. I don't dare to look though, I'm afraid the fanboyism will kill me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: How Gamespot has the nerve to lament the level of online discussion in their comment section/forum and at the same time keep open a forum section that's named "System Wars" is beyond me. And it's the most popular part of their forum!

#10 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

I find it all WILDLY Amusing, but honestly PC gaming has always been Next Gen. They had to create a new system to get a better Minecraft experience.

Actually to be honest, it's fun to watch Microsoft and Sony both back peddling on each of their own designs.

#11 Posted by SamStrife (1282 posts) -

Not going to read any more, just going to write one last one and come across as both ignorant and arrogant...

If you really want to rise above these types of thread, you wouldn't raise one to stir the pot some more.

#12 Posted by TheLastGunslinger (211 posts) -

Guys...guys! What if we just play the video games and have fun?

#13 Posted by Drekly (154 posts) -
#14 Posted by shinjin977 (748 posts) -

why are people even buying console at this point? Let the whole world burn and play on pc motherfuckers!

#15 Edited by bigjeffrey (4809 posts) -

are these "video games" native 1080p at 60 FPS?

#16 Edited by falserelic (5334 posts) -

Its the internet, it's to be expected.

#17 Edited by SharkEthic (1007 posts) -

Duly noted, Eric. Not sure why you felt the need to make a thread, that serves little other purpose than to put yourself on some kind of a douchey pedestal.. I mean, you could just not read threads about the console wars, and just let people who enjoy that kinda thing have at it, but to each his own.

#18 Posted by ftrevelin (70 posts) -

All those posts are just people trying to justify why they already bought/want to buy this or that console, when everyone knows it's not a wise decision to buy them right now, when there are so few games and so many unforeseen problems both companies will have to tend to right after launch.

And also a good old touch of fanboy-ism...

#19 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5268 posts) -

Has it really been that bad here in the GB forums? As far as I've seen, most everyone's been civil. I personally think the console wars are fucking dumb and never take part in the madness. I only watch from afar with a morbid curiosity. Are you maybe referring to the rest of the internet right now and simply decided to throw your thoughts in the oasis that is this place?

Whatever the case may be, I don't think all of us here fit in your extremely generalizing statement. I will say that you have the absolute right attitude about going into this new generation and I agree completely that all of us shouldn't partake in the vitriolic discussions going on right now regarding the console wars. Video games are solely about fun for me and yelling at someone else about their purchasing decisions and console of choice is the absolute furthest desire I currently have.

On a tangential note, I hope we get some launch day streams for both consoles by the staff. Some of you might have missed the magic that was the Wii U stream and if so, here's what you can probably expect.

#20 Edited by tescovee (353 posts) -

I just stop reading Sonygaf shit

#21 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@tescovee said:

I just stop reading Sonygaf shit

Neogaf is not pro Sony. They are pro gaming....

When Sony does something bad they will call them out just like they did this a ton of times this gen. Sony right now is the lead position and does almost everything right. and that is why people love Sony on Gaf right now.

#22 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (340 posts) -
#23 Edited by EXTomar (4518 posts) -

A noble goal but in that case you may not want to visit Giant Bomb or Game Spot or any other sites or Youtube for a bit then.

Also I'm not saying you should take everything you see seriously but you shouldn't give it so much attention. Relax and be happy with the games you are playing instead of worrying about why some other guy is fighting with another guy over trivial things.

#24 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@extomar said:

A noble goal but in that case you may not want to visit Giant Bomb or Game Spot or any other sites or Youtube for a bit then.

Also I'm not saying you should take everything you see seriously but you shouldn't give it so much attention. Relax and be happy with the games you are playing instead of worrying about why some other guy is fighting with another guy over trivial things.

Since these forums are mostly used by men it is easy to say why:

Men are competitive in everything. Sports, cars, women, and also video games. It is in our nature to cheer for the team we love and like and to trashtalk people who are not for us. Is it stupid? Yeah sure but also it is pretty harmless and entertaining for many people so why not^^

#25 Edited by Sammo21 (3214 posts) -

I am kind of in the same boat, but I did watch the video comparing PS4 to Xbone Battlefield 4. PS4 looks better but Xbone has contrast maxed out and has more noticeable aliasing.

#26 Posted by Aviar (414 posts) -

I think both consoles are going to be successful. I will be very surprised if there is a runaway console winner any time soon. I think the PC will definitely continue to become more prominent in the game-space especially with these consoles just being mini-pc's now more then ever.

As far as all the fan-boy's trash talking goes, just ignore it. Sooner or later it will quiet down as everyone will be busy playing all the good games coming out soon and won't have time to post constantly in the forums.

#27 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

It reminds me of the good old days. Remember those.

#28 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@thelastgunslinger said:

are these "video games" native 1080p at 60 FPS?

They're running 865.2p scaled up and sometimes dip to around 45.64265987 FPS. So, they're hardly video games at all.

#29 Posted by RonGalaxy (2910 posts) -

Welcome to the Console Wars.

Seriously though, this isn't new, This happens EVERY fucking time new consoles launch. Either ignore it or... I don't know? Just fucking ignore it. Actually, I kind of think it's hilarious!

#30 Posted by RonGalaxy (2910 posts) -

They're running 865.2p scaled up and sometimes dip to around 45.64265987 FPS. So, they're hardly video games at all.

lol to the fucking MAX

#31 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4331 posts) -

I'm sure you gave a lot of thought in avoiding those topics by creating yet another one that is only going to bring those people into one place. Great job!

#32 Posted by Marokai (2819 posts) -

Good for you, then.

Look, I get that certain people get carried away, and that everyone is hyper-tuned to "console war bullshit" these days, but comparisons of the systems' tech and game performance are important and worthwhile things that should be done and it's completely fair to take them into consideration. Just because it's ammo for fanboys that can be easily ignored, we have to pretend like there are no differences whatsoever and play the false equivalence game?

Can there not be a middle ground, here? Some people genuinely want to go where the best looking and best performing games are. That was never crazy whenever people mentioned they played games on the 360 because that's where games performed and looked best on consoles. That was always a fair and totally legitimate reason for sticking to that platform. I don't get why it's suddenly illegitimate and indicative of "the console wars" to say the same about the Ps4. And if a game looks better on one platform? Admitting that fact doesn't somehow give ground to the idiots getting into console war arguments; that's an observable truth.

The fanboy types get on my nerves, but I'm not so bent out of shape about them that I'm now incapable of having an honest conversation about platform differences and leaning toward wherever the best versions of games are. If you're that sensitive to this stuff that you're letting the system-wars folks have that much power over you and how you process information, you're just as much part of the problem.

#33 Posted by RazielCuts (2940 posts) -

I'm tired of the little scraps of info sites try to pass off as headline news. '1080p vs 720' 'No Real Names at Launch' 'Digital Buttons' 'Symmetrical Buttons.' Like come on. I don't know whats worse, the fact they publish 'news' like that or the fact that people will click on it.

#34 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2232 posts) -

OP won't be able to read this thread because it's a PS4/XB1 thread.

It's a console war, there's going to be fanboys bitching about the other console any chance they get. And you know what? That's actually a good sign, because it means both consoles stand a chance. Instead of it being 75%+ in favor of one console, it's 50/50 as you said.

#35 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4331 posts) -

@marokai said:

Good for you, then.

Look, I get that certain people get carried away, and that everyone is hyper-tuned to "console war bullshit" these days, but comparisons of the systems' tech and game performance are important and worthwhile things that should be done and it's completely fair to take them into consideration. Just because it's ammo for fanboys that can be easily ignored, we have to pretend like there are no differences whatsoever and play the false equivalence game?

Can there not be a middle ground, here? Some people genuinely want to go where the best looking and best performing games are. That was never crazy whenever people mentioned they played games on the 360 because that's where games performed and looked best on consoles. That was always a fair and totally legitimate reason for sticking to that platform. I don't get why it's suddenly illegitimate and indicative of "the console wars" to say the same about the Ps4. And if a game looks better on one platform? Admitting that fact doesn't somehow give ground to the idiots getting into console war arguments; that's an observable truth.

The fanboy types get on my nerves, but I'm not so bent out of shape about them that I'm now incapable of having an honest conversation about platform differences and leaning toward wherever the best versions of games are. If you're that sensitive to this stuff that you're letting the system-wars folks have that much power over you and how you process information, you're just as much part of the problem.

It's easier for some people to just stick their fingers in their ears and ignore the comparisons. There is certainly a lot of hyperbole being thrown around but if people are smart and go to places like Digital Foundry where they are being as objective as possible with comparisons then I don't see what's the problem in bringing up the weaknesses of each version.

Also some people just want to have the new shiny machine for the sake of having the new shiny machine so I guess it might make people uncomfortable if they're starting to have doubts over the ridiculous $900 that some people are dropping to be all in on next-gen

#36 Posted by spraynardtatum (2628 posts) -

Congratulations

#37 Posted by geirr (2483 posts) -

I think it's called growing up. I'm not sure though.

#38 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Shit is getting real now that even older people have enough....

#39 Posted by Mcfart (1561 posts) -

A lot of you guys are some depressing motherfuckers who apparently want half the world to burn, as long as it isn't your half of the world. The problem is, you are split about 50/50 at this point, so you basically want the whole damn world to burn.

I've bought both consoles already, and in the past few days no information or fun has been gleaned from either side in a thread.. It is a bunch of people taking potshots at each other and their console of choice. Just relax, and have some fun playing games instead of hating everyone else.

I'm playing Battlefield 4 on PC if anyone would like to join me.

Welcome to a console launch cycle! I personally enjoy the fanboyism (and they aren't even out yet). You only get dis intensity once every ~8 years!

#40 Posted by Luzifer77 (1 posts) -

Since I am one of those people who cannot resist shiny new things and especially electronics, this console-launch feels both the same and totally different to past generations.

There always have been multiple camps and I remember enjoying the "war" quite a bit, as it was mostly magazine-articles and then you either argued with friends (loved my N64) or later on, did the same thing with strangers on internet-forums. But this time it has become more violent and often bizarre.

Everyone's connected all the time and as soon as someone has finished counting pixels, it gets tweeted and one minute later you have the first thread up with 50+ posts soon after, weighing each and every word some exposed person says and calling BS all around.

I feel with a lot of you here, I simply stopped reading that, will wait until I get my hands on both new consoles myself and in the meantime, play BF4 on my PC just like OP

#41 Posted by JoeyRavn (4949 posts) -

I'm a PC gamer and I'm running dangerously low on popcorn these days.

#42 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

LoL. Stupid $ony and M$ losers. Ouya 2 is where it'll be at!

#44 Posted by PandaBear (1310 posts) -

So you're not reading anymore console war forum posts ... but you'll start your own to tell us how you won't be doing that despite the fact it will BECOME a console war thread? Brilliant.

#45 Edited by Levio (1784 posts) -

I'm an iOS gamer. Most of my games are free, umadbro!?

#46 Posted by marc (492 posts) -

Welcome to the Console Wars.

Seriously though, this isn't new, This happens EVERY fucking time new consoles launch. Either ignore it or... I don't know? Just fucking ignore it. Actually, I kind of think it's hilarious!

THIS! As silly as I find the arguing and bickering over the consoles, it always makes for a fun read.

#47 Edited by McLargepants (362 posts) -

Instead you've decided to create the topics yourself! Very clever.

#48 Edited by Milkman (16541 posts) -

I thought console wars weren't really a thing anymore outside of the more rancid parts of the internet but boy, I am real dumb. These last couple months have sure proved me wrong.

#49 Posted by Slag (4075 posts) -

Awwww man but it's just getting good now.

Still aint' nuthin compared to the last 4 launches. Remarkably civil around the Gb forums compared to what I was expecting.

#50 Posted by Andorski (5204 posts) -

Steam Machines motherfuckers!