• 108 results
Posted by Hamst3r (4563 posts) -

I like how video games look, so I made a video about video game graphics, using squares and cubes. The video is called Cube: A Video About Video Game Graphics. That is the name of the video.

Here it is. This is the video. You can watch it now. Right here:

EPILEPSY WARNING: There are also some rapidly flashing lights in this video.

That was the video. Did you watch it? I hope you did watch it. The video, I mean.

...okay I'll stop typing like this now. Really. Like, right now. Okay. Done.

This idea has been rattling around in my head for about a year now. I started writing the ideas down back in April and the idea has seen many permutations since then. Once everything was (pretty much) locked down it only took about a month to animate the video and score the audio.

It was primarily done in Adobe After Effects with a bit of Adobe Premiere and Source Film Maker usage. The audio was done in Reaper with various VST plugins and samples. The end sequence was done by strapping an iPhone to my forehead...

In fear of setting the bar too high for myself, creating more work than I could possibly do, I had to draw the line somewhere, so a lot of games I had ideas for didn't make it into the video. Stuff like Vectorman, Starfox, Doom, Parappa, and CandyBox had to be left out. I guess there's nothing stopping me from making a sequel at some point though.

Anyway, that's Cube. I can stop thinking about cubes now and go back to just playing video games.

#1 Edited by RawknRo11a (568 posts) -

Very cool. So many references. In particular I really liked the Silent Hill one. got a good chuckle out of me.

As usual, your stuff is super talented. Keep it up duder!

#2 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I came in here to say, and i quote '' If this isn't space invaders transforming into modern day graphics, you lost me.''

I was not disappointed.

#3 Posted by WalkmanBoy (81 posts) -

Cool stuff Hamst3r, as always!

#4 Posted by Aetheldod (3721 posts) -

Were was you when Nintendo needed a ad for the cube???

AKA Good vid duder. :D

#5 Posted by Hamst3r (4563 posts) -

Thanks, duders! :D

I made some GIFs for Tumblr:

#6 Posted by ThunderSlash (1952 posts) -

Very cool. I can't tell if the music you used are all original scores you made to emulate the games reflected in the vid. The Silent Hill and Mirror's Edge ones were my favorite bits of that vid.

#7 Posted by TruthTellah (9471 posts) -

Oh wow! I get so many of the references! Very nicely done!

(and thanks for the epilepsy warning. I knew to look away at certain points)

#8 Posted by 49th (2844 posts) -

You totally should have changed it into the companion cube during the portal segment. You should also post this on reddit.

#9 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -

Holy shit this is so good.

#10 Posted by AMyggen (3630 posts) -

That's awesome!

#11 Edited by Hamst3r (4563 posts) -

@thunderslash: The sounds/music are indeed original pieces made for the video.

@49th: That's a good idea. Any suggestions on which sub-reddit? There are like...a billion of them. I'm guessing just "Video Games" if there is such a section.

#12 Posted by LeSieg (14 posts) -

This is really really good! Incredible job capturing the essence of each game in such a brief time. It looks/sounds great.

#13 Posted by rmanthorp (4054 posts) -

Raaaaaaddd! Grats on the Kotaku pick up as well @hamst3r I don't like to overstep here but I say to the front page with this beauty! @marino ??

#14 Posted by TruthTellah (9471 posts) -

Came here to mention that it appeared on Kotaku. They seem to dig it! :D

#15 Edited by 49th (2844 posts) -
#16 Edited by Bollard (5838 posts) -

Dang, awesome concept and execution.

#17 Edited by TheHT (11775 posts) -

Fan-fucking-tastic.

I'm a bit confused about the reference at 1:25. I thought it was Portal based on the music but then you had an obvious Portal reference later. Funny enough, the "obvious reference" was also lost on me.

The Silent Hill and Mirror's Edge ones are totally my favourite. Did not expect to see those. You did a great job with the music, but that should be no surprise. :P

#18 Edited by Fattony12000 (7559 posts) -

Now make a game about making a video about video game graphics.

#19 Edited by Fear_the_Booboo (586 posts) -

This is great. Congrats !

#20 Posted by probablytuna (3822 posts) -

This is pretty freaking great duder, nice job!

#21 Edited by Jack_Lafayette (3463 posts) -

This video feels artisanal. Thanks, Hamst3r!

#22 Edited by Thiago123 (496 posts) -

Hamst3r is back at it again.

#23 Posted by forteexe21 (490 posts) -

I always enjoy your videos and this was no exception. Should have had a curiosity (that molyneux "game") reference somewhere or did i miss it?

#24 Posted by MormonWarrior (2661 posts) -

I'm getting Fez, Twisted Pixel and Media Molecule flashbacks watching this.

Also, seizures.

#25 Posted by ch3burashka (5245 posts) -

You're on Kotaku. That's dope.

#26 Posted by Christoffer (1921 posts) -

Some pretty awesome work.

#27 Posted by Random45 (1279 posts) -

Virtual Boy, Amnesia, Minecraft, Portal... Haha, wow.

That was an interesting video, though I'll be honest and admit that I didn't get very many of the references, only the more obvious ones.

#28 Edited by bybeach (4994 posts) -

Very nice art. Has a professional feel about it in presentation.

#29 Posted by Nightriff (5335 posts) -

That was really cool, nice job.

#30 Posted by Scrawnto (2466 posts) -

@theht said:

Fan-fucking-tastic.

I'm a bit confused about the reference at 1:25. I thought it was Portal based on the music but then you had an obvious Portal reference later. Funny enough, the "obvious reference" was also lost on me.

The Silent Hill and Mirror's Edge ones are totally my favourite. Did not expect to see those. You did a great job with the music, but that should be no surprise. :P

I think "obvious reference" is a reference to those old Unreal tech demos that just had rotating cubes with bump-mapping and such to show off their new shaders. I could be wrong, though.

#31 Posted by FLStyle (4916 posts) -

Amazing as usual!

#32 Posted by Hamst3r (4563 posts) -

Woo! Thanks, duders! :D

@rmanthorp: oh my!

@theht: 1:25 is And Yet It Moves. "Ob-Ob-Obvious Reference" is Unreal Tournament. :)

@forteexe21: No Curiosity cube in this one, but I've made note of it for the future.

#33 Posted by Glottery (1388 posts) -

Stylish!

#34 Posted by SAKUNO (2 posts) -

Where is Intelligent Qube?

This is bullshit.

:)

#35 Posted by Bamsen (347 posts) -

Awesome video duder

#36 Edited by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

Great video, well done.

Edit: Oh! You're the guy who made Dick Kicker! It's been in my favorites forever. You earned yourself a new subscriber.

#37 Posted by guanophobic (329 posts) -

So goddamned talented.

#38 Edited by Fobwashed (2228 posts) -

I am amaze. You are amaze. Amaze.

#39 Edited by TriBeard (134 posts) -

My take away was the apparently Windows Vista can actually be used for something entertaining. Who knew.

Cool video though. More talent that I have, for sure.

#40 Posted by Hamst3r (4563 posts) -

Thanks, y'all!

28,600 views so far. :O !!

#41 Posted by TehBuLL (613 posts) -

Wasn't a companion cube that fell through that portal? No Q-Bert? Still fantastic as always!

#42 Posted by Quid_Pro_Bono (324 posts) -

This is fuhhhhhh kiiiiiiihhhnnngggg awesome

#43 Posted by Hamst3r (4563 posts) -

@tehbull 0:35 would be the Q*Bert nod. :)

With this color scheme:

#44 Posted by fisk0 (4469 posts) -

The part with adlib music made me very happy. FM synthesis is the best.

#45 Posted by BeachThunder (12407 posts) -

I like the implication that Braid is the pinnacle of video game evolution.

#46 Edited by Cubical (637 posts) -

I have a thing for cubes.

All the 3d models I make for games start out as cubes. (yes really it is almost the only primitive you need for everything even balls.)

#47 Posted by EVO (3941 posts) -

Fuck yeah dude.

#48 Edited by me3639 (1849 posts) -

Nice job. Near the end it reminded me of Sony's Greatness awaits where i was trying to reference the games in the video.

#49 Posted by jkz (4058 posts) -

That was really neat duder! S' a real fun idea. I quite like the sound design work in it too

#50 Posted by TehBuLL (613 posts) -