• 98 results
#1 Posted by brandonleedy (75 posts) -

Hey guys, while watching tonight's live show, I made some album art for the Interview Dumptruck!

**BEEP BEEP**

The cassette tape and dumptruck body were built in Illustrator and the texture was added in Photoshop. It doesn't use Giant Bomb's logo per se, but the idea was that this was one of those business monikers applied to the side of heavy machinery. So naturally the bottom has already got a bit of wear and the metal is starting to patina. But since this is still podcast album art, I tried to make it crisp and readable on the nice high-res screens we all carry in out pockets. Like my previous projects, if you duders and dudettes like it, I'll make it into wallpapers for phones and computers and such. Just holler out some screen resolutions!

As always, positive thoughts and constructive critiques always appreciated! Thanks duders and dudettes, hope you like it!

#2 Edited by Winternet (8025 posts) -

I like it. Especially the tape part.

But, ask the man who does them @patrickklepek

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (15010 posts) -

This is perfect!

#4 Edited by TooWalrus (13235 posts) -

Love it. Love everything about it. Well done.

#5 Posted by SlashDance (1827 posts) -

Approved !

#6 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4233 posts) -

I love it! Now Patrick just needs to get over saying. ~ Have him make this a badge, even.

#7 Posted by C2C (855 posts) -

I like it. The only thing that could have made this better is some reference to the truck beeping.

#8 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

When The interview dump truck collides with the nintendo download X-press it will be a sad day.

#9 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

Can't think of anything else to say other than perfect. Excellent work.

#10 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Duder, it's so perfect.

#11 Posted by mrfluke (5266 posts) -

perfect.

#12 Posted by Sanity (1937 posts) -

Nice, looks great!

#13 Posted by casper_ (907 posts) -

very good

#14 Posted by villainy (566 posts) -

@jz: Are you kidding? Hot burning dump truck X-press wreckage strewn across miles of this here internet super highway? That sounds fucking awesome!

#15 Edited by Kerned (1170 posts) -

The image is amazing! Your typography could use some refining though. Personally, I would reduce the leading and/or increase the font size. Also, consider adjusting the tracking so the letters are a bit closer together. Bring the ratio of positive to negative space on the top half of the image in line with what you have done on the bottom.

#16 Edited by brandonleedy (75 posts) -

Woah lots of positive responses already! Thanks so much everybody! I'll try tweeting it out to Patrick and the rest of the crew (though judging by that last shot of tonight's show, they may not be checking twitter for a while, haha). Phil Fish in a wig on Ryan's lap? IT'S WHY I'M A PAYING SUBSCRIBER. :D

@c2c I feel the same way! I keep trying to figure out a way to put it in without it looking like BEEP BEEP is part of the title, haha. I've got an iteration right now where it's on the cassette tape, I'm just trying to find a typeface that fits. I'll post another revision if I get it to look right. Thanks for the feedback! :)

#17 Edited by Hector (3365 posts) -

Perfecto!

#18 Posted by SlashDance (1827 posts) -

@brandonleedy: I was just about to suggest that. Make "BEEP BEEP" the album name on the cassette or something.

#19 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
#20 Edited by DefaultProphet (538 posts) -

This is pretty rad. I've got an idea for a logo but I can't draw so I couldn't do it, but it'd be the back of a dump truck, mudflats have GB logo, reversing lights are on, and there's tapes in the back of it.

#21 Edited by vorpalparasite (297 posts) -

That's pretty great! Nice work sir!

#23 Edited by probablytuna (3727 posts) -

Make that tape playable!

#24 Posted by brandonleedy (75 posts) -

@kerned Yeah it definitely needs something, I keep noodling with the tracking and leading. I'm an industrial design guy so it's a chronic problem, haha. I haven't had nearly enough practice with it. I'll try a rev with it more in balance, like you suggested, as opposed to more spread out for the sake of filling space.

#25 Edited by gla55jAw (2692 posts) -

Woah lots of positive responses already! Thanks so much everybody! I'll try tweeting it out to Patrick and the rest of the crew (though judging by that last shot of tonight's show, they may not be checking twitter for a while, haha). Phil Fish in a wig on Ryan's lap? IT'S WHY I'M A PAYING SUBSCRIBER. :D

@c2c I feel the same way! I keep trying to figure out a way to put it in without it looking like BEEP BEEP is part of the title, haha. I've got an iteration right now where it's on the cassette tape, I'm just trying to find a typeface that fits. I'll post another revision if I get it to look right. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Great work! I was going to say, it's perfect, but needs BEEP BEEP somewhere. It might ruin it though. As for tweeting, do that, but if you really want Patrick to see it, just send him a PM on here. He always checks his messages.

#26 Posted by Sergio (2160 posts) -

I could see the "BEEP BEEP" added almost as an act of vandalism.

#27 Edited by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

Great! Beep beep!

#28 Edited by extragingerbrew (210 posts) -

Cool!

#29 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

BEEP! BEEP!

#30 Edited by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@brandonleedy: Actually, you know what would be pretty funny: if the truck bed was in "dumping" position, and a bit of the cassette tape's tape was starting to unravel out of the back.

#31 Posted by gla55jAw (2692 posts) -

Just messing around.

#32 Posted by Sanity (1937 posts) -

Could have it so it looks like Beep Beep is coming out of the air horn.

#33 Posted by brandonleedy (75 posts) -

@sergio Ah yeah, I'll try one with a graffiti style typeface as well, thanks.

@kerned Ha you read my mind, I started with it in the dumping position, but it shrunk the truck and just seemed less impactful in the square of the album art. Having it tilted also made the cassette harder to identify if that makes any sense? I'll include it in the batch tomorrow to show you what I mean.

Thanks again for everyone's kind words and feedback! I'm taking all the great critiques from tonight and I'll post a few alternate revisions of the art tomorrow (It's 2AM in this duder's locale). Later, duders and dudettes!

#34 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@brandonleedy:

All right! Loving what you've got going on here.

One suggestion, though: Mess around with different fonts. The one in the image looks too clean. It's a dump truck, let's get messy with it!

#35 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4606 posts) -

Very clever and very well done.

#36 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

#BEEPBEEP

#37 Posted by AssInAss (2665 posts) -

@brandonleedy

What font is that? It's perfect for that educational safety hazard style poster. Is this style called something? What were you influenced by?

#38 Edited by selbie (1929 posts) -

Now slap a fat bomb icon on the side of the truck door and you're set.

#39 Posted by Krushr (54 posts) -

This is great. Fantastic work, duder.

#40 Edited by Bollard (5661 posts) -

@brandonleedy: I was just about to suggest that. Make "BEEP BEEP" the album name on the cassette or something.

But put it upside down like the cassette :P

#41 Posted by Redbullet685 (6053 posts) -

I love it. Someone tell Patrick about this on twitter or something.

#42 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

That is some swell shit.

#43 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6304 posts) -

Lovin' both the pictures in the thread so far. Anyone else got some Photoshop/MS Paint magic they want to throw in here for the ol' truck of dumps?

Moderator Online
#44 Edited by jesterroyal (353 posts) -

I really like it but it feels like something is off. I think there might be one too many wheels for my taste. I think its the second wheel from the right just makes it feel too evenly spaced.

#45 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11290 posts) -

This is fantastic.

#46 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2259 posts) -

I really like the simplicity of the artwork and the colors chosen.

#47 Posted by Humanity (9582 posts) -

@brandonleedy: Thats a nice clean logo and if anything I admire anyone who has the patience to work in illustrator

#48 Edited by golguin (3964 posts) -

@sergio Ah yeah, I'll try one with a graffiti style typeface as well, thanks.

@kerned Ha you read my mind, I started with it in the dumping position, but it shrunk the truck and just seemed less impactful in the square of the album art. Having it tilted also made the cassette harder to identify if that makes any sense? I'll include it in the batch tomorrow to show you what I mean.

Thanks again for everyone's kind words and feedback! I'm taking all the great critiques from tonight and I'll post a few alternate revisions of the art tomorrow (It's 2AM in this duder's locale). Later, duders and dudettes!

I would change the leading so that it reads:

Giant Bomb

Interview
Dump Truck.

You want to have those two items separated so mess around with the leading. The brand is Giant Bomb and the new product is the Interview Dump Truck. I actually like how the font choice contrasts with the clean vector of the truck and cassette and the grungy background, but people seem to want the letters to be more grungy.

Someone mentioned tightening up the tracking. I usually start at 0 and hit it with about 15 because a like a bit more breathing room with my letters.

#49 Edited by Chaser324 (6648 posts) -

Awesome work, duder. Some minor modifications to the text (typeface, leading, kerning) could possibly improve it a bit, but overall it's already really great.

Moderator Online
#50 Edited by brandonleedy (75 posts) -

Woo, thanks for all the feedback & comments! Glad everybody's enjoying it. I've got some revisions, and I think it's just about locked in.

So first, I tightened up the lettering. Cut the tracking by half and the leading by like 5pts (from Auto). Definitely more readable.

For those asking, the typeface is Proxima Nova (Bold).

Now, for some of those variants, adding the BEEP BEEP and trying out some grimy title letters.

I originally had it as #BEEPBEEP and it just seemed weird. So I tried *BEEP BEEP* and it seems more readable and sound effect-like.

Here's BEEP BEEP in Proxima Nova (EXTRA BLACK) and an (approximate) Atari screen font. I really like the Atari font, what do ya'll think?

[See Option 1 and 2 below.]

And then here's the same with some grimy title letters. I could give or take the grime to be honest.

[See Option 3 and 4 below.]

Thoughts on the grime, duders and dudettes?

I think Option 2 or 4 is cool with me, though 2 will be more readable on smaller and non-retina screens (since it's podcast album art).

Later tonight I'll PM Patrick one of these four officially (If he hasn't seen the thread already).

Option 1
Option 2

Option 3
Option 4