raycarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By raycarter

@

Got back to watching some of them, and brought back a lot of good memories. From the earliest ones like Max Payne to the Tron movie, I still don't get why these aren't made anymore. Ryan Davis was such a great, funny host, and he exercises his inner Angry Movie Nerd (esp. at director Uwe Boll, o' the horrors).

So just throwing it out there; what's your favorite TANG segment and why?

PS: In some part of your response please insert RayCarter (Shift 2, RayCarter, no spaces) so the site could notify me that you're posted something in this thread. Thanks.

RC

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

It's still my favourite feature on the site and is possibly their most creative endeavour they've ever done on GB. I've always wished for a new season, and there's certainly plenty of material out there, but with the way Giant Bomb is run these days there's an exceedingly small chance of it ever returning.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I don't know if I miss TANG or if I miss missing TANG. Probably the latter.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Who doesn't miss TANG? I realize it's a lot harder to produce a 5-7 minute video than say filming a 2 hour live stream where you just sit in front of a camera playing games and talking shit but damn it those videos were so good. It was one of the few things that helped give GB its identity back then. I still love this site but damn. :(

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By dropabombonit

Yeah I loved TANG, would love it to come back. Especially because there have been more horrible video game films since Ryan did the last one

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

You're so lucky you clarified which TANG you meant. I was going to GRILL you!

...and yeah, I just miss having a fun Ryan feature, if it was something else that'd be cool too. Jeff and Ryan have really deep knowledge of super weird things I'd never be interested in normally, so its always fun to get to explore that stuff with them.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Hunter5024

I don't feel like there are that many movies left to do.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThePaleKing

He kind of covered all the interesting ones. If it were a running feature he'd end up running through the dozens of live action versions of fighting games that seem to be bubbling up, and of course Uwe Bolls backlog of direct to DVD turds.

SerHulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By SerHulse
Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anwar: What was different before that they were able to produce both TANG and video reviews, but they can't do either now? I guess there were maybe less quick looks so they had more time to focus on editing?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@petiew said:

@anwar: What was different before that they were able to produce both TANG and video reviews, but they can't do either now? I guess there were maybe less quick looks so they had more time to focus on editing?

Live streams got real popular. They used to be something special that they'd do every once in awhile but now they're doing a live stream practically five days a week. Between Vinny and Drew, there's just not enough hours in the day to keep five live streams going and still have time to do all the editing and QA necessary to do video reviews and lovely features like WU-TANG. It sucks because I and I'm sure many other people would rather take a seven minute, well produced, well written and (here's the real kicker) funny video than a two and a half hour live stream that's just dudes sitting on a couch watching other dudes play video games without much commentary or reason for being there.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@petiew said:

Live streams got real popular. They used to be something special that they'd do every once in awhile but now they're doing a live stream practically five days a week. Between Vinny and Drew, there's just not enough hours in the day to keep five live streams going and still have time to do all the editing and QA necessary to do video reviews and lovely features like WU-TANG. It sucks because I and I'm sure many other people would rather take a seven minute, well produced, well written and (here's the real kicker) funny video than a two and a half hour live stream that's just dudes sitting on a couch watching other dudes play video games without much commentary or reason for being there.

Video Games Awesome can pump same amount of content with smaller crew (and budget), and still have more effort put into the videos than CBS packed GB. GB could do more if they wanted...

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Video Games Awesome can pump same amount of content with smaller crew (and budget), and still have more effort put into the videos than CBS packed GB. GB could do more if they wanted...

Looked at the site you linked, it doesn't seem like it backs up your claim. I don't mean that as a diss to the site you linked, but the videos and site don't look as well produced nor are the videos produced as regularly as Giant Bomb. Again though the aims of the two sites are different so I almost think that it is an unfair comparison.

Could GB do more? Sure. But I think that GB produces a good amount of great content already. That being said, TANG coming back would be nice and appreciated.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By AssInAss
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By McGhee

@petiew said:

Do you actually watch Unprofessoinal Fridays? To say they are unfunny and "without much commentary or reason for being there" is completely ridiculous. The GB guy's off-the-cuff humor is some of the best anywhere.

charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@c2c said:
@charlie_victor_bravo said:

Looked at the site you linked, it doesn't seem like it backs up your claim. I don't mean that as a diss to the site you linked, but the videos and site don't look as well produced nor are the videos produced as regularly as Giant Bomb. Again though the aims of the two sites are different so I almost think that it is an unfair comparison.

Could GB do more? Sure. But I think that GB produces a good amount of great content already. That being said, TANG coming back would be nice and appreciated.

Well, you got to factor that Video Games Awesome is basically made in someones basement/garage, so they might not have multiple prime lens cameras from the CBS, but they have costumes and are actively trying to make the show entertaining, like including the chat as much as possible (hence they put more effort into it). If you look weekly content in hours, VGA produces more of it.

What I am basically saying that there are small individual things like VGA and Classic Game Room who can go toe to toe with GB, which is some what worrying and telling that some people might not be putting their whole heart into their craft.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Tang was cool but you gotta look at how much editing and writing that thing took to produce it. If I had to choose between that or maybe lets say a random pc game from Vinny and co. I'd probably take the latter. Speaking of tang, would not mind if maybe Ryan, Alex, and Matt Rorie got together every once in awhile to discuss films in either video or audio form. I really enjoyed their insight on movie and pop culture stuff back at whiskey.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too, really miss TANG...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

RIP TANG.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By casper_

it was pretty rad.

im pretty amazed that they even were able to pull off tang in the first place with all that editing etc. with such a small crew. cant imagine that kind of thing coming up again unless giant bomb expands a bit and it seems for now they are more focused on livestreams/quicklooks than actual written/edited material.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

TANG was definitely a memorable, funny feature that the bastard known as "live streams" took away. I would do unspeakable things to have it back at some point, but I don't want Ryan phoning it in just because people want it back.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LiveBomb.com?

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bluefish

TANG was definitely my favorite feature on the site. I'd love to see it back.

sincerely,

me.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see any sort of produced video "thing" from the GB crew. I get that they need more producers like Vinny and Drew, because it's time consuming, but it would be a good change from the quick looks and constant live stuff.

Don't get me wrong! I absolutely love Unprofessional Fridays, and TNT is pretty fun when I'm interested in the game they play, but TANG was just so great.

I'm also not quite sure what Andy's job is at the moment. Is he sort of what Drew was at the start? Is he part of CBS in general, or is he part of GB specifically? Because it seems to me like he's becoming the third producer they need.

theuselessgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

I still go back and watch them from time to time. I was really hoping he'd cover Prince of Persia, at least.

He didn't do the Silent Hill movies either, which would have been good insult material. Those movies were pretty rotten.

Considering how much live content they're pumping out these days, I could see TANG maybe coming back. I guess eventually you just run out of content (ie movies based on video games), but if Ryan were to come and review new ones after the came out on DVD or something, that would be cool.

Also, Wreck it Ralph.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

TANG was pretty awesome, but I'm sure it makes economical and logistical sense to do a bunch of livestreams and quick looks instead, for as much as I'd really like to see Ryan skewer whatever else Uwe Boll has put out in the last 2-3 years.

BPRJCTX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

It's still my favourite feature on the site and is possibly their most creative endeavour they've ever done on GB. I've always wished for a new season, and there's certainly plenty of material out there, but with the way Giant Bomb is run these days there's an exceedingly small chance of it ever returning.

Yup, laziest big website on the internet.

There are people on youtube, doing more work alone, for free, and i mean, seriously not getting any money from it, not even from ads, than these guys with a big office, full team, and now backed by CBS's money and resources...

They're entertaining (when they don't come out like they're just bored out of their fucking minds), that's pretty much the only reason i still come here...

And because this is still, probably the best community on any gaming website.

Willtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@charlie_victor_bravo:

The Giant Bomb guys also cover video games. So they have to sometimes go... you know, cover video games. And that takes them out of the office, so they can't go do shit like TANG, because they're seeing games, because, hey, they're a bunch of professionals covering the video game industry. You're right. They don't do this shit in their garage. They're professionals. So they have professional things to do, which take up time.

Giant Bomb could certainly spice things up a bit, and at times after the CBS move, they've phoned things in. But Jeff also went through a lot of shit at the beginning of the year, the site was being relaunched, so there went Dave, so Flight Club was basically delayed, Vinny had a kid. They do a massively long podcast every week. So on, so forth. They've also changed the way they approach the site with more live-streaming and, again, they're kinda professionals, so their time is divided between doing dumb shit on-camera, editing quick looks, and being professionals.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

You know I never watched any of the TANG series. I just watched a few and holy shit I should be slapped for ignoring this for so long. On the upside now I have a treasure trove of videos to keep me occupied for a few hours.

raycarter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

@willtron: You know.... when they made TANG segments, they didn't all of a sudden stop doing reviews. Heck, they didn't stop creating some video reviews, which also seem to take a lot of energy and time to create. Writing reviews, making video reviews, quick looks, the bombcasts and TANG, they all co-existed. They showed that a balance could be achieved, doing both what is expected (quick looks, reviews) and what is beyond it; what's to stop them from doing the same again?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TANG was great. It's sorta sad that they're moving away from anything that "requires effort" like TANG and endurance runs. "Oh! it requires alot of effort, well we're not going to do that anymore then!".

The GB way....

charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willtron: I am gonna play the Patrick Klepek card here and say "look how much he is doing". He is not only covering games and producing actual articles, but is involved with good deal of the video content and he seems to respond to the community quite often.

"Too busy" is not really a good excuse when there is not that much other content coming out of "being too busy".

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I re-watched all of the TANG and WUTANG videos about a year or so ago and totally got bummed after watching the last one. They were really funny to watch and pretty accurate. I don't know about CBSi policies regarding clips and movies being shown on a website that they own, but I feel that TANG is pretty much done with. I'm just happy Ryan is alive after taking lethal doses of Uwe Boll awfulness.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ryan doesn't have time for this kind of shit any more since he went full time on his new job as a professional twitter-er

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time for some TANG, Ryan!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37  Edited By veektarius

Ryan is at his best in stuff that's pre-produced. I think he's the only member of the crew I can say this for, but while I like him, his value to the site hasn't been the same since his last pre-produced segment (ILM) got reformatted. Still, considering the relationship dynamic between the core group there, I really doubt that even if one of the crew agrees with me that Ryan's slacking... would anyone be willing to take him to task?

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Hopefully Ryan can do more with the newer game based movies out there that came out after the last TANG episode. Top notch fun to watch TANG & would love to see more.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Roger778

The Tang videos were always fun to watch,especially seeing how awful the "Uwe Boll" movies are, but I don't miss them. It's obvious to me that Giant Bomb is focused on doing Quick Looks for the games they are about to review.

Plus, seeing actual game footage is the main reason I love watching those videos.