#1 Edited by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

I'd say the jewel case is my favorite case for games. least favorite is actually the PS3 case, because it does not fit an any rack. It's too short to go in a DVD rack and to fat too go in a CD rack.
Also remember bizarre huge boxes first gen PS1 games came in, what was up with that?

#2 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

I miss when games came in actual DVD cases instead of those shitty eco-cases.

#3 Posted by bybeach (4832 posts) -

yeah I'm all for eco this and that, but what do those eco-cases do? Seems like lousy protection for the disk, their primary goal.

#4 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@musclerider said:

I miss when games came in actual DVD cases instead of those shitty eco-cases.

PS3 games don't have eco cases, not that I've seen at least.
#5 Posted by bybeach (4832 posts) -

Oh and I liked jewel cases also.

#6 Posted by ajamafalous (11999 posts) -

I like the DVD-shaped cases, but fuck those eco-cases.

#7 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

they should make cases like the ps3 ones. they're small cases, they protect the disc. the eco friendly cases are stupid because they can scratch the disc. somebody was stupid to put no plastic where the disc can spin. they should put it where the manuals would be, and outside of where the disc part is. that is just my little rant on the eco friendly cases since everyone is talking about them.

#8 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

I really hate jewel cases because you can accidentally step on them and break them.

#9 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

I don't understand when people complain about the Eco cases and how they can scratch the disc. Can someone explain this to me because it makes no sense to me.

#10 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

I don't understand when people complain about the Eco cases and how they can scratch the disc. Can someone explain this to me because it makes no sense to me.

Less plastic to protect the discs makes them more susceptible to scratches.

#11 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@chrismafuchris said:
I really hate jewel cases because you can accidentally step on them and break them.
Don't put them on the floor, for starters.
#12 Posted by Three0neFive (2293 posts) -

I love the shit out of PS3 game cases. No puke-green plastic, no bullshit eco-cutouts, no wasted space - these fuckers get right down to business.

#13 Posted by lead_farmer (1041 posts) -

I do miss the fat cases for the Playstation. Ridge Racer and Raiden Project, son.

#14 Posted by davide (35 posts) -

The double jewel cases that multi-disc PlayStation games came in were great. I miss those.

#15 Posted by Muerthoz (350 posts) -
@laserbolts: It's OK for there to be no plastic on the side where the manual is but the disc needs to have something protecting the the data side of the disc. Otherwise, what's the point of having a case.
#16 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1766 posts) -

I miss the goddamn enormous boxes that PC games used to come in. 

#17 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@davide said:

The double jewel cases that multi-disc PlayStation games came in were great. I miss those.

yeah those were great
#18 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
@bybeach said:
yeah I'm all for eco this and that, but what do those eco-cases do? Seems like lousy protection for the disk, their primary goal.
I stand by what I say. Feel free to quote me.
 
"The ecomentalist movement is just an excuse for companies to justify the ineffectiveness of lousy products, then charging the public more for said crap." -Me. 
 
I'm a die-hard liberal, but this is one area where I strongly disapprove. Environmentalism is for chumps.
 
@Muerthoz said:
@laserbolts: It's OK for there to be no plastic on the side where the manual is but the disc needs to have something protecting the the data side of the disc. Otherwise, what's the point of having a case.
I never understood why they have to put the bloody recycle symbol on the left.  Who here, honestly, buys a game or DVD, takes the case and tosses it in the rubbish (let alone recycling it)?
#19 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -
@DivineCC @Muerthoz I guess I get your point but I wonder what people are doing with their cases that could potentially pierce through that making the disc scratch. Personally my cases are either in the rack or if I bring a game somewhere it's in my backpack.
#20 Posted by Muerthoz (350 posts) -
@Aus_azn: There are people out there who throw away the cases and store their games in those CD binders or wallets.
#21 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

I have quite a few eco cases and I don't seem to understand how you guys have such a problem with them...I mean do you often take your fingers and purposely push on the open areas to touch the disc or something? or take screw drivers to it? 
 
Seems to me the protection for a dvd is because its kept from touching the surface of the case...in reality if you had non eco cases and the spindle the dvd sat upon broke you'd have even more problems since the disc is rubbing against a complete hard plastic case.....as long as one treats their cases okay and their discs then eco cases provide more then enough protection one should be more worried about inferior make spingles and teeth that hold the disc. 
#22 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Muerthoz said:
@Aus_azn: There are people out there who throw away the cases and store their games in those CD binders or wallets.
monsters
#23 Posted by CrazyBagMan (842 posts) -

@chrismafuchris said:

I really hate jewel cases because you can accidentally step on them and break them.

Do DVD style cases not break if you step on them?

#24 Posted by Brendan (7811 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

@DivineCC @Muerthoz I guess I get your point but I wonder what people are doing with their cases that could potentially pierce through that making the disc scratch. Personally my cases are either in the rack or if I bring a game somewhere it's in my backpack.

Same here. I put my game on a shelf and it stays there unless I take it out to play the game. I don't know how people are finding ways to break their games.

#25 Posted by Muerthoz (350 posts) -
@kingzetta:  Yeah, I know. This weekend, Jeff was Tweeting about trying to get all of his games to fit on a shelf and somebody suggested putting them in a wallet.   What's the point of having a collection if you don't have them on display?
#26 Posted by AURON570 (1674 posts) -

I have bad memories of those jewel cases always cracking or getting out of their sockets, or getting cracked. It also reminds me of the days when I didn't care about piracy and copied lots of games for my ps1, and had to buy a cd binder for them, which actually ended up scratching the discs. My games still work but nowadays I think each game deserves it's own case.

#27 Posted by SSully (4192 posts) -

How could you miss Jewel cases? Those mother fuckers always broke from the smallest fall. I am very careful with my games and all of my belongings, but it is safe to say I broke the hinge of 75% of every jewel case that my PC games came in.

#28 Edited by YukoAsho (2054 posts) -
@Aus_azn said:


I never understood why they have to put the bloody recycle symbol on the left.  Who here, honestly, buys a game or DVD, takes the case and tosses it in the rubbish (let alone recycling it)?  

 
Me, actually. :P  I usually throw them out because I buy.... CD cases!

#29 Posted by bybeach (4832 posts) -

I know there were flimsy jewel cases out there. I've seen and used good ones, even if they be the thin design. I do respect the 'treat your games well arguement, I do so because of the $ investment.

#30 Edited by DocPorpoise (111 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker said:

I have quite a few eco cases and I don't seem to understand how you guys have such a problem with them...I mean do you often take your fingers and purposely push on the open areas to touch the disc or something? or take screw drivers to it? Seems to me the protection for a dvd is because its kept from touching the surface of the case...in reality if you had non eco cases and the spindle the dvd sat upon broke you'd have even more problems since the disc is rubbing against a complete hard plastic case.....as long as one treats their cases okay and their discs then eco cases provide more then enough protection one should be more worried about inferior make spingles and teeth that hold the disc.

you make a good point but i think the problem comes from tossing a game in say a backpack as it takes less pressure to squish the eco case or even pierce the open part (how ever unlikely that may be). personally i say fuck all cases give me digital. but then again i'm old and can't make anymore room on my shelves cause of these damn nintendo tapes.

#31 Posted by LeetBalla (698 posts) -

@SoldierG654342 said:

I miss the goddamn enormous boxes that PC games used to come in.
#32 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

I miss these

#33 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -
@SoldierG654342 said:
I miss the goddamn enormous boxes that PC games used to come in. 
Big PC boxes are the greatest. 
 
Jewel cases are terrible.
#34 Posted by Khann (2852 posts) -

@Aus_azn said:

Environmentalism is for chumps.

Hope you're around in 60 years to see what your attitude has done to the world

#35 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -

I love the fuck out of Steam because I don't have to put up with that old-fashioned physical bullshit. Now if a friend asks to borrow a game (you know how that goes) I can punch them in the face for being stupid. I've repurchased almost my entire physical game collection on Steam and tossed the old physical copies to friends who would have borrowed them and lost/damaged them anyway. 
 
Seriously, most of my friends just throw their game DVDs on their desks in a pile with other crap flowing over onto them.

#36 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

I hated jewel cases personally. Always cracked to hell for no good reason. 

#37 Edited by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:

I love the fuck out of Steam because I don't have to put up with that old-fashioned physical bullshit. Now if a friend asks to borrow a game (you know how that goes) I can punch them in the face for being stupid. I've repurchased almost my entire physical game collection on Steam and tossed the old physical copies to friends who would have borrowed them and lost/damaged them anyway.   Seriously, most of my friends just throw their game DVDs on their desks in a pile with other crap flowing over onto them.

Steam and all digital stuff can go fuck it's self
#38 Posted by redbliss (647 posts) -
@musclerider said:

I miss when games came in actual DVD cases instead of those shitty eco-cases.

Yep. The ones today are way too fragile. I have even picked up cases new in store that ended up being cracked. Plus you cant hold the case when you get the disc out because the case will bend, so you have to set the case down or risk damaging the disc/case. The thicker, sturdier cases of last gen were much better.
#39 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
@Fajita_Jim said:

I love the fuck out of Steam because I don't have to put up with that old-fashioned physical bullshit. Now if a friend asks to borrow a game (you know how that goes) I can punch them in the face for being stupid. I've repurchased almost my entire physical game collection on Steam and tossed the old physical copies to friends who would have borrowed them and lost/damaged them anyway.   Seriously, most of my friends just throw their game DVDs on their desks in a pile with other crap flowing over onto them.

Steam and all digital stuff can go fuck it's self
You'll say that the day both our houses burn down, and I still have ALL MY GAMES!!!!!!one!1!ieleven!!!!!
#40 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim said:
@kingzetta said:
@Fajita_Jim said:

I love the fuck out of Steam because I don't have to put up with that old-fashioned physical bullshit. Now if a friend asks to borrow a game (you know how that goes) I can punch them in the face for being stupid. I've repurchased almost my entire physical game collection on Steam and tossed the old physical copies to friends who would have borrowed them and lost/damaged them anyway.   Seriously, most of my friends just throw their game DVDs on their desks in a pile with other crap flowing over onto them.

Steam and all digital stuff can go fuck it's self
You'll say that the day both our houses burn down, and I still have ALL MY GAMES!!!!!!one!1!ieleven!!!!!
I just won't have my house to burn down
#41 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
@Fajita_Jim said:
@kingzetta said:
@Fajita_Jim said:

I love the fuck out of Steam because I don't have to put up with that old-fashioned physical bullshit. Now if a friend asks to borrow a game (you know how that goes) I can punch them in the face for being stupid. I've repurchased almost my entire physical game collection on Steam and tossed the old physical copies to friends who would have borrowed them and lost/damaged them anyway.   Seriously, most of my friends just throw their game DVDs on their desks in a pile with other crap flowing over onto them.

Steam and all digital stuff can go fuck it's self
You'll say that the day both our houses burn down, and I still have ALL MY GAMES!!!!!!one!1!ieleven!!!!!
I just won't have my house to burn down
Yeah, I had an argument with lightning one time when it wanted to burn my shit down. I punched that shit in the umm...hunh...
#42 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Fajita_Jim: can you handcuff lighting?
#43 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Jewel cases break so easily that I'm not very fond of them. They're just as bad as these eco-cases. I like the concept behind being more environmental and cutting costs... but it defeats the purpose of a case if it doesn't protect the bloody disc.

#44 Posted by Fajita_Jim (1463 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
@Fajita_Jim: can you handcuff lighting?
Probably. You'd have to distract it first, however.
#45 Posted by ShaggE (6456 posts) -

I miss those ludicrously huge "collection" boxes with five or six PC games in them. The Duke 3D Kill-A-Ton collection comes to mind.  

#46 Posted by BeachThunder (11948 posts) -
@SoldierG654342 said:
I miss the goddamn enormous boxes that PC games used to come in. 
Yes, this; those boxes were always so much fun to open up =D
#47 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
@davide said:

The double jewel cases that multi-disc PlayStation games came in were great. I miss those.

yeah those were great

Legend of Dragoon anyone?