• 96 results
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By StarFoxA

I could use a really good RPG to play, as I haven't played through one in quite a while. I have a Wii, DS, and 360 (so no Persona 4), but I could also play stuff like SNES, NES, GBA, etc. RPGs... Naturally, I've already played through most of the big ones, so what are some more obscure RPGs that are really good?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

What about Mystic Ark? Yea, it isn't translated, but it's still decent.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By RedSox8933

Although I have not played it YET, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor just came out and all of my friends have been telling me how awesome it is. I ordered it on Amazon a few days ago, so it should come soon.

Also, I got Eternal Sonata a couple weeks ago, played through it, and it's one of my favorite RPGs on the 360.

A couple more off the top of my head...

• Lost Odyssey
  • Knights in the Nightmare
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
@RedSox8933 said:
" Although I have not played it YET, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor just came out and all of my friends have been telling me how awesome it is. I ordered it on Amazon a few days ago, so it should come soon.

Also, I got Eternal Sonata a couple weeks ago, played through it, and it's one of my favorite RPGs on the 360."
I would highly recommend Devil Survivor; it's possibly the best strategy RPG I've played on the DS so far, and I've played most of them.

Contrary to RedSox8933's recommendation, I would advise AGAINST Eternal Sonata.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Akeldama

not really an RPG, but it has RPG elements that I love. Ive gone back and played all the kickass castlevania games (SotN, CotM, HoD) etc. 

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By Atlas

Add another recommendation for Eternal Sonata. That game was amazing.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By dbz1995

This may seem really strange, but Sinjid the flash game is good for an hours play.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RedSox8933
@Sleepy_Insomniac: Care to elaborate why you did not like Eternal Sonata? I'm curious.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StarFoxA
@Akeldama: Ooh, I still have to finish SotN XBLA. I was also thinking of picking up Ecclesia.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Akeldama
@StarFoxA: i just last night started SotN. Fucking amazing game. I love the music (cant wait to see what konami and kojima are cooking up with this series) 
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
@RedSox8933:This. (There are spoilers in here StarFoxA, in case you're interested in picking it up.)

And there were also a number of responses that spoke against the game in this post as well.
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By CowMuffins
@StarFoxA: Ecclesia is difficult due to lack of money, and the need for potions in some areas. It's not like the other two Castlevania's for the DS.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel

I'm in the middle of playing Devil Survivor, and it is one of the best strategy RPGs on the DS, hands down.

As far as Eternal Sonata is concerned, I love that game.  I had the misfortune of being at a very low point in my life when the game came out, and the game made a big impact on me.  For an RPG, it's not very long, but I found it brilliant and filled with heart.  It helped pull me out of the decline I was in at the time.  Say what you want about its flaws, but if the debate is between Eternal Sonata and Vesperia (or really, any Tales game), I will side with Eternal Sonata every time.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ

Secret of Mana on the SNES/VC, Tales of Symphonia GC/Wii, Avalon Code DS, Fire Emblem DS, Luminous Arc DS, Knights in the Knightmare DS, Devil Survivor DS, TWEWY DS, Rondo of Swords DS, Sonic Chronicles DS, Suikoden DS, GOLDEN SUN!!!!!!! GBA

Is that enough?
Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kyle
@CowMuffins said:
" @StarFoxA: Ecclesia is difficult due to lack of money, and the need for potions in some areas. It's not like the other two Castlevania's for the DS. "
Yes, I would reccomend playing Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for GBA or Portrait of Ruin for DS over Ecclesia. It's super difficult, I didn't enjoy it at all. Aria of Sorrow is the best after Symphony of the Night, in my opinion.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Hailinel
@Kyle said:
" @CowMuffins said:
" @StarFoxA: Ecclesia is difficult due to lack of money, and the need for potions in some areas. It's not like the other two Castlevania's for the DS. "
Yes, I would reccomend playing Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for GBA or Portrait of Ruin for DS over Ecclesia. It's super difficult, I didn't enjoy it at all. Aria of Sorrow is the best after Symphony of the Night, in my opinion. "
Honestly, I enjoyed Ecclesia a lot more than the previous two DS games.  Dawn of Sorrow had that touch screen seal mechanic that was a pain to use in boss fights, and I never really got into the character switching in Portrait of Ruin.  Ecclesia struck the right note with me, though I will concede that it is a challenging game.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain

Ys 6: The Ark of Napishtim. Great little game, although its more Action/Adventure than RPG I suppose (Think Alundra or Zelda)

Failing that, Shin Megami Tensei, any of them.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kyle

Oh, not to mention you can pick up both Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance as Castlevania Double Pack for like $15. Cost effective awesomeness.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RedSox8933
@Sleepy_Insomniac said:
" @RedSox8933:This. (There are spoilers in here StarFoxA, in case you're interested in picking it up.)

And there were also a number of responses that spoke against the game in this post as well. "
I guess this is just a love it or hate it game. There's no way of telling unless you play it. I would still recommend it, StarFoxA. Although I would buy Devil Survivor AND Knights in the Nightmare over Eternal Sonata any day.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StarFoxA
@AgentJ: Secret of Mana and TWEWY are the only ones there that I've beat. :D
Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
@RedSox8933 said:
" @Sleepy_Insomniac said:
" @RedSox8933:This. (There are spoilers in here StarFoxA, in case you're interested in picking it up.)

And there were also a number of responses that spoke against the game in this post as well. "
I guess this is just a love it or hate it game. There's no way of telling unless you play it. I would still recommend it, StarFoxA. Although I would buy Devil Survivor AND Knights in the Nightmare over Eternal Sonata any day. "
Yeah, I assume Eternal Sonata's like that; I haven't seen anyone who thought the game was just okay. By the way, how's Knights in the Nightmare? I pick up everything Sting develops, but I haven't gotten around to picking that one up.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RedSox8933
@Sleepy_Insomniac: It's alright. The gameplay is new and fresh, but it is kind of crazy. Maybe a little too complex, even. It wouldn't be my first choice for a SRPG on the DS, but it's good.
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sabata

I highly recommend that you play Mother 3. There's even a translation patch out and everything.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
@RedSox8933: Sounds like a Sting game. Heh, I'll probably get it after I'm done with Devil Survivor.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
@Sleepy_Insomniac said:
" @RedSox8933 said:
" @Sleepy_Insomniac said:

I guess this is just a love it or hate it game. There's no way of telling unless you play it. I would still recommend it, StarFoxA. Although I would buy Devil Survivor AND Knights in the Nightmare over Eternal Sonata any day. "
Yeah, I assume Eternal Sonata's like that; I haven't seen anyone who thought the game was just okay. By the way, how's Knights in the Nightmare? I pick up everything Sting develops, but I haven't gotten around to picking that one up. "
I thought ES was just okay, actually. I loved the battle system, concept, and the music, but I found the game to be pretty easy, and the plot was okay until it steered towards the end of the game, at which point it felt like it derailed and fell off a cliff while backflipping. I also felt like Chopin became a random character in the background about a third of the way into the game. I still had a decent time with it overall, though.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By sjschmidt93

Chrono Trigger says hi.

Final Fantasy III (VI) also peeks his head in.

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Colonel_Cool

If you're into western rpg's then I would heartily recommend The Witcher.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By StarFoxA
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sjschmidt93
@StarFoxA:

Heh. Should've mentioned the once you have played.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RedSox8933
@StarFoxA said:
" @SJSchmidt93:Chrono Trigger eh? *lookatthetopeditors* "
Seriously.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sjschmidt93
@RedSox8933:

My bad for not staying on top of all the top editors for every game in the database.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RedSox8933
@SJSchmidt93: Chill, friend. I was only kidding.
Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Blubba

I would recommend Tales of Vesperia. Tales of Symphonia is also a good game for the GameCube. The original Paper Mario on virtual console or the sequel on the GameCube are also good choices.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Nasar7
@StarFoxA: Why not go off the beaten path? Keep it old school with Seiken Densetsu 3 or Tales of Phantasia, both for snes. Or Xenogears for PSX.
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#35  Edited By JackiJinx

Try out Eternal Sonata. It's still a JRPG, but it's just eccentric enough to be entertaining. Also, different battle system for the win.

Hughes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Hughes
Per...
 I have a Wii, DS, and 360 (so no Persona 4)
Nevermind.
Pavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pavera

Man, ever played FF7? thats a good one

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By penguindust

I always feel the compulsion to pimp Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Maiden for the DS.   It's an epic tale with lots of funny conversations presented at a reasonable pace.  This one is a great introduction to the Dragon Quest franchise if you've never played one of their games before.    

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Linkyshinks
@StarFoxA said:
" I could use a really good RPG to play, as I haven't played through one in quite a while. I have a Wii, DS, and 360 (so no Persona 4), but I could also play stuff like SNES, NES, GBA, etc. RPGs... Naturally, I've already played through most of the big ones, so what are some more obscure RPGs that are really good? "

Beyond Oasis (MD)? Star Tropics (NES)?

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Potter9156

If you haven't already played it, buy Morrowind GOTY. It's backwards compatible. And it's the only cRPG you will find on consoles, luckily it is easily the best ever released(PC, consoles). And you're not going to find any good obscure RPGs on consoles.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Potter9156 said:
And you're not going to find any good obscure RPGs on consoles. "
Huh? I can name tons of good obscure RPGs on consoles. Let's see:

Mystic Ark
Terranigma
Bahamut Lagoon
Crusader of Centy
Vay
For the Frog the Bell Tolls
EVO: Search for Eden
Treasure of the Rudras
Tear Ring Saga
Faria

Need I go on?
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MeierTheRed
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Potter9156 said:
Huh? I can name tons of good obscure RPGs on consoles. Let's see:Mystic ArkTerranigmaBahamut LagoonCrusader of CentyVayFor the Frog the Bell TollsEVO: Search for EdenTreasure of the RudrasTear Ring SagaFariaNeed I go on? "
You sir! you are awesome.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43  Edited By Suicrat

Am I the only one who liked both of the Baten Kaitos games?

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Potter9156
@Video_Game_King said:

"Huh? I can name tons of good obscure RPGs on consoles. Let's see:Mystic ArkTerranigmaBahamut LagoonCrusader of CentyVayFor the Frog the Bell TollsEVO: Search for EdenTreasure of the RudrasTear Ring SagaFariaNeed I go on? "

Of course the definition of a Role-Playing Game is different for everyone. Obviously what I believe makes a game an RPG is not what you believe makes a game an RPG. And with that said, those are not RPGs. To me.

EDIT: Whoops.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Potter9156 said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" @Potter9156 said:
Huh? I can name tons of good obscure RPGs on consoles. Let's see:Mystic ArkTerranigmaBahamut LagoonCrusader of CentyVayFor the Frog the Bell TollsEVO: Search for EdenTreasure of the RudrasTear Ring SagaFariaNeed I go on? "

Of course the definition of a Role-Playing Game is different for everyone. Obviously what I believe makes a game an RPG is not what you believe makes a game an RPG. And with that said, those are not RPGs. To me.

"
Damn it. I, a person who loves JRPGs, am dealing with a person who does not consider them RPGs. This cannot end well. Or at all.
Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Potter9156

JRPGs suck. Want to fight about it?

infekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By infekt

Have you played Baten Kaitos?  It's fantastic.  It's codeveloped by the makers of Xenosaga and Eternal Sonata, but it's much better than Eternal Sonata, imo. 

infekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By infekt
@Suicrat:
Sorry, didn't see your post!  Baten Kaitos ftw! 
A warning though, both games are very long.  My first playthrough of BK took me 80 hrs or so w/o doing sidequests.  BKO took me double that. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Potter9156 said:
" JRPGs suck. Want to fight about it? "
Yes, I do. What is it about them that sucks?
MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MeierTheRed
@StarFoxA said:
" I could use a really good RPG to play, as I haven't played through one in quite a while. 
I was in that same boat, so i just ordered
Demon´s Souls, after having looked and read about the title for some time..