#1 Edited by Jackentrote (43 posts) -

Not The Walking Dead or Gone Home, etc.. please. I'm not talking about my mom's emotions when she watches her dramas.

I'm talking about that deep compelling feeling of uncertainty and dreaminess you get rushing under your skin and inside your rib cage while you travel through the forests of Alan Wake at night in silence. The feeling you get when good old CJ gets relocated to a mountain hideout in San Andreas, and you stand there watching the sunset and slow traffic in the distance after a bombastic mission.

Games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and The Witcher 1&2, with their music and slow pacing in a grim world filled with the unknown, make me revel in that feeling and forget the world. Assassin's Creed 2 and the second Mass Effect are full of this dreamy rush that grips the heart.

What I'm talking about is the feeling Bros describe as gay and call you a pussy for sharing it.

So yeah, I've played so many of them, I can't find a new rush. I need my fix, man. Examples:

• Max Payne 1&2
  • Thief: Deadly Shadows
  • Freedom Fighters
  • Call of Duty 4
  • Half-Life series
  • Dead Space 1&2
  • The Punisher
  • Psychonauts
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins
  • The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games
  • Tomb Raider (2013)
  • Crysis
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Metro games
  • The Saboteur
  • Arkham games
  • Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason
  • Mini Ninjas
  • Portal 2
  • most Rockstar Games games
  • Alice: Madness Returns
  • Bioshock
  • Alan Wake: American Nightmare

Basically the only condition is that they have good interactive gameplay and impressive level design, and not be interactive movies. And, of course, a compelling premise if not story.

I guess the first thing that comes to mind is horror games. I'm aware of most horror franchises, I just prefer to avoid them.

#2 Posted by Shadow (4981 posts) -

Last of Us and Spec Ops: the Line don't seem to be on that list

#3 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -

Dude, you're ridiculous.

But maybe play Shadow Complex?

#4 Posted by Humanity (9604 posts) -

@jackentrote: The original Castlevania: Lords of Shadow has some breathtaking level design. The game is a slow burn, with some initially lackluster levels at the forefront. Once you start unlocking new abilities that allow you to double jump, or break through walls and such the game starts hitting it's stride. The musical score is also quite spectacular and you can get the whole thing on Steam for cheap with story DLC that carries over into the second game.

#5 Posted by probablytuna (3732 posts) -

Dark Souls.

#6 Edited by Savage (338 posts) -

Kind of a tough type of recommendation to make, but here are a few great games that came to mind.

@jackentrote said:
... a grim world filled with the unknown, make me revel in that feeling and forget the world... good interactive gameplay and impressive level design, and not be interactive movies.

Dark Souls.

@jackentrote said:
... the feeling Bros describe as gay and call you a pussy for sharing it.
...with their music and slow pacing ... good interactive gameplay ... and not be interactive movies. And, of course, a compelling premise if not story.

Bastion.

@jackentrote said:
Games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution ... with their music and slow pacing in a grim world filled with the unknown, make me revel in that feeling and forget the world.
...good interactive gameplay and impressive level design, and not be interactive movies. And, of course, a compelling premise if not story.

Deus Ex (the original).

System Shock 1 & 2.

#7 Posted by noizy (681 posts) -

You know what I'm hearing? "I want to play a good game". Going with what seems to be a taste in first and third person games with a campaign, strong mechanics, and a decent setting.

I'd say Far Cry 2 and 3 if you haven't played them already?

#8 Posted by ShaggE (6555 posts) -

Sounds like you should look into some Myst-like adventure games.

#9 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3577 posts) -

Babysitting Mama. No, No, no! don't shake the baby.

#10 Posted by Pie (7109 posts) -

Far Cry 2 for sure

#11 Edited by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

So your dad's emotions when he watches his dramas???

#12 Posted by csl316 (8986 posts) -

Resistance 3. Really, it's fantastic.

#13 Posted by pweidman (2342 posts) -

Some ideas:

Mass Effect 3: If you liked 2, 3 grabs even harder.

Metro: Last Light: Immersive and super detailed world.

Bioshock, or Bioshock Infinite: Both will transport you away.

The Last of Us: Didn't play but most say the story is top notch.

Good Luck.

#14 Edited by CaLe (4021 posts) -

The obvious games have been mentioned so I'll suggest a less obvious one: BATMAN (Asylum & City)

Also, God of War / Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (first one).

But, I gotta say, I've never gotten the feelings you've mentioned from any of these games. In fact, I don't have the damnest idea what feeling you're even talking about. Bunch of bullshit if you ask me.

#15 Edited by Jackentrote (43 posts) -

@humanity: I've always imagined that as some NES reboot with bad gameplay, but I'll look into it thanks!

Dark Souls.

I thought the third time would be the charm, but it wasn't. I'm done trying with that game, not out of hate but out of failure.

@pweidman: Totally forgot about Last Light! I should hit that, it's probably more charming than the first. Thanks!

@cale said:

But, I gotta say, I've never gotten the feelings you've mentioned from any of these games. In fact, I don't have the damnest idea what feeling you're even talking about. Bunch of bullshit if you ask me.

It is a bunch of bullshit indeed, but I feel it and it possesses me, so that's what I crave, and I get hella satisfied when I land the right game for the job. The games I mentioned in the first paragraph made my heart orgasm.

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
Always the answer.

#17 Edited by xite (911 posts) -

If you want an emotional response from just playing the game the Souls series is probably what you're looking for. The guys on the podcast did a pretty good job of describing the turmoil you go through and the feelings of accomplishment you get from it.

edit: looks like you already tried it. The forum is acting weird right now and comments aren't showing up properly.

#18 Edited by bluefish (503 posts) -

@pie said:

Far Cry 2 for sure

Playing Far Cry 2 is like having to hog-tie a monkey without hurting it: It's a frustrating challenge but there is very little else out there like it.

I really like that game.

Along with that:

Journey - brings out more pure emotions than anything else I've played

Shadow of the Colossus - It's its own world, melancholic, serene, and then you fight massive stone creatures.

The Darkness - This game really puts you in a place. It's odd to play mechanically but satisfying and it's got TONS of weird, dark character in every detail.

Devil May Cry 2013 - an amazing mix of a fun story, insanely fun gameplay and amazing visual design. A great action game top to bottom

Bioshock - a little clunky but everything else in that game is phenomenal. Even the gameplay balance stays interesting on high difficulty.

#19 Edited by TheSquarePear (191 posts) -
#20 Edited by CornBREDX (5631 posts) -

I like how you consider The Walking Dead and Gone Home "mom dramas" and then talk about being called gay if you describe feelings to "Bros".

You seem to have emotional confusion. You should probably talk to a psychologist.

The "bros" aren't real. It was you the whole time.

Like someone else said you are basically just saying you want a good game to play and you prefer shooters (third or first person). It's weird that you can't just say that. Like, by definition- weird.

Uncharted 2 (PS3 only game)

GTA 5

Farcry 3 (no point in playing 2 first as 3 is an improvement over 2 in every way- including game play- although the story for 2 makes more sense)

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

Spec Ops The Line

Bioshock Infinite

Shadow Warrior (the new one although I did enjoy the original at the time)

Saints Row 3 then Saints Row 4

A lot of people like that Last of Us game (I didn't)

Sleeping Dogs

There are many more but that's enough. You can start finding "good games" on your own now.

#21 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5808 posts) -

A lot of modern games have been mentioned up till now, so I'll suggest something old school. Symphony of the night and Super Metroid. Both have impressive level design and relatively foreboding dreamlike atmospheres. The music in both games really compliments the tone of each and exploration and uncertainty are their bread and butter.

I'd also suggest Ico, as it has similar elements.

#22 Posted by believer258 (12000 posts) -

@csl316 said:

This doesn't get enough love.

A lot of modern games have been mentioned up till now, so I'll suggest something old school. Symphony of the night and Super Metroid. Both have impressive level design and relatively foreboding dreamlike atmospheres. The music in both games really compliments the tone of each and exploration and uncertainty are their bread and butter.

I'd also suggest Ico, as it has similar elements.

These can never get enough.

#23 Posted by DragonNinja789 (356 posts) -

The Last of Us was fantastic, mechanically it made me pretty uncomfortable in terms of gameplay with the aggressive violence. The story is also top notch.

Bioshock Infinite had unsettling moments due to the subtle racial undertones and crazy religious aspects of its story.

The Wolf Among Us- because it's clearly the best thing TellTale Games has ever made.

Spec Ops: The Line- I can't even really talk it about without spoilers. Except, emotional trainwreck.

If you enjoyed Max Payne 1 & 2 then I suggest 3 just to see what sort of state Max is in now.

Inversion- It had interesting cover mechanics due to situations with zero gravity(dead space) you also play as a cop in the middle of an invasion looking for his wife and daughter.

@bluefish recommended Devil May Cry(2013) and The Darkness. DmC had some brilliant, subtle, complex acting that reminded me of my old theater days. The story was also an interesting critique on society today. I much preferred the Darkness 2 over the first one, it had strong themes of loss, regret, and strength that really stuck with me. Though the last hour of the first game sums itself up perfectly. So both are good.

Remember Me- Because that was a surprise left field from Capcom, and it was genuinely honest and kind of sad in a weird way. Poor Nillian.

I found Infamous 2 emotional, at least in the first half of the game because your the ONLY superhero and the world is basically fucked.

Lost Planet 3- another Capcom surprise. If you liked Dead Space, then it's slightly similar but the main character is way more relate-able. The writing feels really natural and it also gets suuuper creepy, in a really dark way. And lastly...

@csl316 said:

^ Resistance 3, it really doesn't get enough love.

Hope it helps! Happy gaming.

#24 Edited by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@jackentrote: Superman 64 I guarantee that game will make you feel some emotions.

#25 Edited by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -
#26 Edited by Spoonman671 (4700 posts) -

I honestly don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but you should play Demon's/Dark Souls. Play the Tower of Latria in a dark room.