#1 Posted by Kane (317 posts) -

So i have a old Dell optiplex GX240, yeah its old, but im planing on upgrading it to the max, only 1gig of ram =( but i also need a graphics card, i know it has to be a APG and a low profile card, will this one work with my pc? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121273

if not, what one should i use

#2 Posted by Xero (159 posts) -

it should work

#3 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

I'd be careful upgrading old Dell systems. I've had experience with trying to do so and some of their stuff is proprietary and causes the system to stop working if certain things are fiddled with. Just a warning.

#4 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
PureRok said:
"I'd be careful upgrading old Dell systems. I've had experience with trying to do so and some of their stuff is proprietary and causes the system to stop working if certain things are fiddled with. Just a warning."
I agree with him. Dell systems are made just ever slightly off from the norm that even opening the case makes you think you;re stupid.
If you're gonna upgrade, you should have bought or made a custom one initially so that everything is a simple bolt on replace and upgrade.

Dell components are made to work with Dell components.
#5 Posted by pause422 (6178 posts) -

I really don't think upgrading an old Dell is the best idea, the performance increase will barely be noticable at all, if any. I think you should wait until you can just build a brand new PC honestly, spending money on an old Dell is really a total waste of money.

#6 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I agree, build another.

There was nothing worth keeping in my last Dell 2 years ago.