I need help regaining hope from PC users. You can't all be dirty!

• 60 results
kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By kingofpeanuts

Please read this article. It has made me lose all faith in most PC gamers. Please tell me a feel good story about PC gamers.  
They can't all be this heartless, I was so disgusted by this article I bought the package for 25 dollars.  

EDIT: I was very angry when I wrote this. Sorry to the good PC gamers out there.

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By kingofpeanuts

Please read this article. It has made me lose all faith in most PC gamers. Please tell me a feel good story about PC gamers.  
They can't all be this heartless, I was so disgusted by this article I bought the package for 25 dollars.  

EDIT: I was very angry when I wrote this. Sorry to the good PC gamers out there.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By armaan8014

I was gonna make a joke... but that's disgusting. Really, I feel sad for the poor guys who made such a good offer.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

well if you read the article they mentioned, they put out a number of different reasons why; not all of them bad:

"

• "Some might want to donate, but it seems a whole lot easier to just click on a hyperlink than it is to enter a credit card number. Sure, it only takes a couple seconds, but for many, this is a few seconds too long. The most successful online stores all allow one-click buying, including Amazon, Steam and iTunes. In the words of one gamer, Steam showed him that he "wasn't cheap, just lazy," and I'm sure he's not alone in that realization.

• Some users may want to share the bundle with their friends, and decide that it's easier to just make one donation for a larger amount than it is to make separate gift donations.

• Some users may live in countries where none of our three processors (PayPal, Google Checkout, and Amazon) are accepted. These users might pay if they could, but they feel that they have no choice but to search for shared copies."

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingofpeanuts
@Laketown:  I understand, but the concept of stealing from a charity is unthinkable to me.
LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Wait, someone help me out here: There's no minimum price for the package. It's being made available through Wolfire for free. How does one pirate something that is free?

(For the record I donated $10 of my last $30.)

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DCFGS3

Well I bought the bundle. But I agree with the laziness thing, that's probably the issue. Incidentally, I fully endorse the OP's avatar.

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kingofpeanuts
@LaszloKovacs: I thought the minimum  was a penny.
bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bjorno

I am disgusted.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By armaan8014
@DCFGS3 said:
" Incidentally, I fully endorse the OP's avatar. "
I'm with you there!
Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nime

That's not cool, but I could see the convenience factor. I still haven't bought it simply because as soon as I see billing options, it always makes me lose interest. 

On another note, don't act like it's pc gamers as a collective that do this. It's just people. Bad people. If there was an easy way to pirate for consoles, people would likely do it just as much. Don't peg this on the pc gamers as a whole.

kingofpeanuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kingofpeanuts
@Nime: That's very true. I was very angered when I read this.   
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ch13696

I totally support charities like this. Even though I already own World of Goo on Wii and Steam, then there was no other point in me downloading the package. So I donated anyways. I wish I can donate more, but I just threw in $20. 

Let me tell you something about pirates though. I'm a pirate. I fully admit it. Though if they do bring me a good game then I will definitely buy it. Basically, if the company is making less money than what they put in to porting it over from the consoles then what's the point of doing it. What I'm saying is that they are still making money. Yes, it's a shame that these people are taking the game for free, but c'mon, if they want people to donate to charity then they should  have posted that any money that they make from the games will be donated to charity.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By meteora

Wow. This is a new low for PC gamers...

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Jadeskye
@kingofpeanuts: They raised 700,000 dollars for Childs play. A very good amount of money for the sick children don't you think? =) 

the charity has raised 7 million dollars for hospitals all over the world at this point. Thanks mostly to penny arcade and developers like these.
cancerdancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cancerdancer

What if people are simply picking this up on a torrent site, not knowing that it originally came from a site for charity.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Jambones

It is pretty poor taste to pirate a package meant for a charity. When world of Good was previously released under this pricing scheme I paid 13 cents... but that's only because it was all I had left in the world at that point. I couldn't pay less then $15 for all those games, simple because the charity aspect, but also since they are great games.

The whole concept of pirating is a bit lost on me, I am afraid. I want to encourage the developers, not drive them out of business. It does seem like an awful lot of PC gamers pirate titles, whatever the actual statistics may be.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Arrrg, it's the pirate way, take everything, give nothing back. I don't condone piracy, well of pc games anyways.

ColMirage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ColMirage
@Meteora said:
" Wow. This is a new low for PC gamers... "
Ah yes, let's put all of us in the same boat shall we? A boat flying a pirate flag at that, to increase the funnies.
Rehehelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rehehelly

To be fair, most people who browse the sites wouldn't realise it was from a charity and just download it as it's a bundle.  

Also, you seem to be ignoring those who don't have a credit or debit card.  
I'm not gonna be a hypocrite and say that pirates are disgusting for pirating this. Is a nice idea though, even though i've not heard of the charities before in my life. 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By BeachThunder

This is obviously not a good thing, but at the same time it seems like just another example of people blowing something out of proportion and completely over-reacting. I doubt most of those people did this as a malicious act and I hardly see how not donating to charity is the equivalent of stealing from a charity, otherwise everyone in the world is a thief.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By ApertureSilence

I am a PC gamer, and I haven't pirated a game since a friend of mine gave me the original Wolfenstein 3D on floppy disk when I was 10. 

So there.

Fuzzled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fuzzled

Just purchased this, thanks for the heads up. It really does suck that people feel the need to rip off these games, especially when it's for a worthwhile cause like this.
I gave what I could.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shirogane

I'm gonna bet that most of the people who did this aren't really gamers as such, and just were looking for random games to download. Also, i bet most of them were kids/teenagers with no access to credit card/paypal/ whatever other options there are for payment.
Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dedodido

25% of downloads being pirated is much lower than a typical pirating rate for games these days, they've actually done pretty well.
And I agree with @dudeglove, it isn't PC gamers that are the problem, its that they have the opportunity to download games for free, while console gamers don't. If you could easily (without modding) pirate games on consoles, the piracy rates would jump through the roof.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dark_Jon

Well, some people are saying they paid money but are using the torrent to save them bandwidth. I don't know if I buy that though. Seriously though, you can pay a penny, it would still be a jerk move but it would be better than pirating.

Hey if you look at the bright side, there were a few people who donated a couple hundred including one who donated a thousand.

I paid $3. I'm poor and since the bundle ends today, it's better to pay something than nothing. Also, I already own World of Goo.

NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NoXious
@kingofpeanuts:
Wrong topic name, has nothing to do with people that consider "their platform" to be PC. Chances are most of the pirates are scumbags no matter what platform, might even be MAC users! Oeh let's burn those witches!
To top it off, unless you are some God-like entity which I highly doubt, who the hell are you that I want you to have faith in me?
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gunslingerNZ
@dudeglove said:
" I don't think it's anything to do with PC users per se, just wankstains with no morals who happen to have internet access. "
I agree, the same thing would happen on consoles if they weren't closed platforms. To be honest though the people paying just 1 or 2 dollars for the package aren't much better though, that's just abusing the gesture, $10 minimum seems like a fair amount to me.
PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PillClinton
@kingofpeanuts: go to Tested.  there are some really nice pc gamers there.
Slaneesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Slaneesh
@cancerdancer said:

" What if people are simply picking this up on a torrent site, not knowing that it originally came from a site for charity. "

These figures does not include torrent sites. The study explicitly states this. Which means the number of people pirating this could be way higher.
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By warxsnake

The assholes who pirates games from torrent sites all day just see a game and download it, they don't do their research and look if its an indie game or wtvr, they just care that it's been cracked by Reloaded or wtvr, whether it's a AAA, AA or indie game.  
I'm not trying to defend pirates, just saying they probably don't even know it's an indie game. 

The FBI should just hunt down anybody who cracks games, i.e. Reloaded and similar groups. No crackers = no pirated games.

Soulglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Soulglove

I support anything that comes on Steam and the mod community, even though I don't like Steam running in the background of everything.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust

I think for some people, pirating is just how they get all their entertainment media.  They know how to operate those channels and so before they even bother to see if there are legal ways to acquire their music, movies or games, they turn to the pirate sites and let the downloading begin.  It's nothing against the cause, it's just how they function because it's familiar. You might not recall, but Radiohead's album In Rainbows was originally offered exclusively from their website and the public could set their own price for the download.  Later it was revealed that despite having a potential price tag of $0.00, people still pirated the album from the various torrent sites. 2007 Forbes article

mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mrariscottle
@BeachThunder: You freaking suck. You're wrong. You can make a donation of your choice and you must donate in order to get the product, so just taking the product without donating is stealing.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By artofwar420

Well I never pirated a game. Ever, I just consider it a dick move and there are plenty of demos out there for me to try a game out, so no point in supporting that argument. I mean a group of people/dude spent a shit load of personal time doing something that could potentially entertain me and possibly teach me something? That should go unrewarded? I don't think so.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Al3xand3r
@kingofpeanuts said:

Please read this article. It has made me lose all faith in most PC gamers. Please tell me a feel good story about PC gamers.  They can't all be this heartless, I was so disgusted by this article I bought the package for 25 dollars.

How about the other three quarters and the pre-bundle sales which made some of those indies, notably the World of Goo dudes (2D Boy), freaking rich?
HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HaroldoNVU

Thanks to the OP for letting me know about this. I'm making a donation now. Also, douche bags will be douche bags, no matter which is their platform of choice. I heard even some of them don't even play games.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Al3xand3r
@HaroldoNVU said:

@Al3xand3r:  damn those game developers getting money for their work. sell-outs!

Um, what the fuck are you talking about? He asked for "good" stories citing that article as bad, I provided "good" stories from that same article or related to it.
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By h0lgr
@cancerdancer said:

" What if people are simply picking this up on a torrent site, not knowing that it originally came from a site for charity. "

Quoted for truth, being a (formerly) seasoned pirate I can assure you that such a deal is NOT presented on the torrent sites themselves very often.
Most pirates (at least around here) are fairly open-minded and only pirate because of the jacked up prices on games, and if they were to be presented with
this awesome deal, most of them would probably pay a few dollars instead of pirating.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By Brendan
@h0lgr said:
"@cancerdancer said:

Quoted for truth, being a (formerly) seasoned pirate I can assure you that such a deal is NOT presented on the torrent sites themselves very often. Most pirates (at least around here) are fairly open-minded and only pirate because of the jacked up prices on games, and if they were to be presented with this awesome deal, most of them would probably pay a few dollars instead of pirating. "

I know you don't pirate anymore, but that is just another lame excuse to steal.  Did you know all clothes at retail have at least a 100% markup on them?  Does it make it ok to grab a bunch of t-shirts when no-ones looking?  Theft has no gray area, and I wish a significant chunk of PC gamers would realise this. 
h0lgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By h0lgr
@Brendan: I never said it was fucking okay, all I'm saying is the pirates you guys are raging on might not even be aware of the deal going on
under the hood. I'm saying IF they knew, they would (at least most pirates I know) most likely donate a few bucks for the developer's sake.
But right now, especially in Sweden, prices are jacked waaaay high. A console game runs at around 90 dollars new. A PC game around 70-80 and 
people are just not willing to put up with that shit anymore. But if people were to be more informed, deals like these would probably flourish!
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#42  Edited By BeachThunder
@Fudgeman7: Firstly, take a chill pill, no need for name calling because you disagree with what I said.

I think you have misunderstood. It is not stealing from a charity, as the charity were never set to gain from the people who pirated. Chances are, those who pirated the games didn't care about donating to a charity anyway. The people who were interested in donating were the ones who paid far beyond what the games were worth, keep in mind that almost $1 million has been donated thus far, with an average of about $9 per customer.

These games have all been around for quite a while and up until this point purchasing them hasn't provided any money to charity. In fact, I have purchased most of these games (all of them, with the exception of Lugaru) prior to this offer. No charity received any money from my purchases. Does that mean I stole those games from charity? Of course not! The organisations involved not receiving any money from these games is not a reason to claim people have been stealing from charities, if you look at the site you will notice that there is in fact an option to give all money to the developers and none at all to either charity. Surely you wouldn't claim that to be stealing from a charity? 

As I have said, I am not condoning people pirating this, but there is a distinction; the charities involved have not been fleeced, nor have they had their property taken from them. No one has removed any money from its rightful owner, nor any physical object. These people, likely would've paid 1 cent if they were to pay anything at all. Like I stated in my previous post, a lot of this is just blown-out-of-proportion sensationalism.
fastidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fastidious
@kingofpeanuts said:
" Please read this article. It has made me lose all faith in most PC gamers. Please tell me a feel good story about PC gamers.  They can't all be this heartless, I was so disgusted by this article I bought the package for 25 dollars.   EDIT: I was very angry when I wrote this. Sorry to the good PC gamers out there. "
You've lost all faith in most pc gamers when the article states 25% pirated? That leaves 75% that did the right thing...
Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Rockanomics

While a bunch of PC users may have stolen this cool thing, a bunch of PC users also donated almost a million dollars. 

I think that gets us out of the red, yeah? 

Also if pirating console games was super easy it would happen like crazy there too.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By yinstarrunner

I'm surprised a higher percentage of people didn't pirate it.

It's perhaps the easiest set of games to pirate ever made, since there's no need to look for torrents or cracks.  No hassle. Just following a link.  I respect the fact that they went this route, though.  They understand that a lot of people are going to get their hands on their software without paying, and while they aren't exactly stoked about it, at least they aren't making it a hassle for those who contribute to play these awesome games.

It's just the reality of the situation.  It's easy to download, so it's easy to pirate.  There's always going to be people who prefer to get their stuff for free, and there's also going to be underage kids who don't want to bother asking their parents to use their credit cards.  It sucks, yeah, but what can you do?  The only way to completely prevent PC piracy is to stop making PC games.

Also, your thread opener is horrible.  Acting like all PC gamers pirated the bundle when the article clearly says that 75% of the people who downloaded the games paid for them. Tsk tsk.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CL60

People here need to get rid of their "holier than thou" attitude..It's not PC gamers that are at fault for piracy...it's people in general..

If pirating on consoles was as easy as PC, console piracy would be the same, if not worse. People who yell at all PC gamers and say they are all "dirty" need to get over themselves.

Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Tirrandir

I'm primarily a PC gamer these days, and I purchased the Humble bundle despite already owning half the games from previous purchases.  I also don't pirate games, though, so ... /shrug 

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By dystonym

That's a pretty dickish manoeuvre. I payed $5 which is a measly sum that made me feel bad for paying it, now I feel a little less guilty.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HandsomeDead

And people really wonder why PC gaming is in decline?

HaroldoNVU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HaroldoNVU
@Al3xand3r:  I'm sorry, I misunderstood you. I'll edit the original comment. But seriously, that's hardly a good story. In fact that's the same story. Off course you can focus on the good side, but still 1/4 pirated.