#1 Posted by Dudacles (1618 posts) -

So I bought a Japanese fat, 3000-series PS2 off of Ebay, mainly because I wanted to play the Persona games in Japanese. The thing is, I'm in Europe (Belgium) so when I opened up the box I remembered that the plugs are shaped differently. This didn't seem much of an issue at the time, and I simply bought a plug that allows for American appliances to be plugged into the mainland European sockets. It's not a voltage convertor though, and I suppose that is where the problem lies, considering I tried hooking up the PS2 and found that it doesn't boot up at all. There's no light indicating it's on or in stand-by, and it doesn't respond at all.

Now, at first I feared the console was broken, but now I've come to believe it had to do with the fact that we deal with 230V here in Europe, whereas Japan apparently uses 100V (or 110?). My question to you, and I hope that you will be able to answer it, is this: would the solution lie in buying a voltage convertor? Is there anyone who has experience hooking up a PS2 in a region where the voltages are different?

I was looking at this convertor from the German Amazon. Do you reckon it would help?

http://www.amazon.de/Lianlong-TC1000-Auf--Ab-Spannungswandler-1000W/dp/B000L99ZLA/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1375710846&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=japan+voltage+convertor

Any help would be very much appreciated, considering the whole thing gives me a bit of a headache.

#2 Edited by Rahr012 (50 posts) -

I don't want to alarm you, but you might have already fried the PS2 by putting it in 230V.

Also that converter should defiantly do the trick as long as it converts 230V to 100V (not 120V like in american plugs)

#3 Posted by Dudacles (1618 posts) -

@rahr012 said:

I don't want to alarm you, but you might have already fried the PS2 by putting it in 230V.

Also that converter should defiantly do the trick as long as it converts 230V to 100V (not 120V like in american plugs)

Yes, I was mulling that possibility in my mind already. I don't suppose there's a way to tell though, is there?

I guess I should get the converter, see if it works, and if not, buy another used PS2 and use that with the converter. Gah, what a money sink this is turning out to be. It's my own fault though, I should've thought about it more.

#4 Posted by Rahr012 (50 posts) -

There's always emulation, I know it's a gray area but as long as you have the original game it shouldn't be problem.

#5 Posted by Dudacles (1618 posts) -

@rahr012: I suppose that's always an option. I'm going to see about trying to get my PS2 working first though, considering I've come all this way now.

I have a final question: I've been looking up voltage converters and none of them seem to mention 100V conversion; they all start at 110V. I've read 110V works as well though: can anyone confirm this?

#6 Edited by Rahr012 (50 posts) -

If you scroll all the way down on the product listing it says:

Top-Features

• 110V-240V oder 240V-100V-Konvertierung

So it should be a-ok

#7 Posted by Dudacles (1618 posts) -

It doesn't mention that anywhere else on the box itself though, which makes me wonder whether that might just be a typo. :/ I'm just worried about spending 70 euros (like 90 dollars) on a converter that might end up being the wrong kind.