I need more games that make me cry

• 75 results
bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Shadow of the Colossus is depressing as hell but didn't make me cry (also the best game of all time).

Oh yea, Shadow of the Colossus is pretty damn fantastic. I wouldn't say it's a tearjerker either BUT it's a must play for all fans of games that make you feel stuff.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

• Brothers
  • Bastion
  • Papo & Yo
  • Journey
  • Bioshock 2 DLC: Minerva's Den

Those are pretty short, and can get pretty emotional near the end.

I would also recommend Final Fantasy X (there is an HD version for PS3/Vita) and Okami, but they are pretty long games that take a while before they get really emotional (great games, though). Okami is different that the rest because it gets emotional but not sad, more of an uplifting game.

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy Type-0 made me cry like a bitch

Avatar image for greencloversguy
GreenCloversGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Bastion was the first game to make me cry, so I really recommend that one. Also Infamous Second Sun, if you play the good karma path you'll definitely have your gut punched. And Lone Survivor, if you don't mind being scared and horrified. I think I had a bit of a weep at that one. And Save the Date, while not quite making me cry, did make me feel very emotional and strange. Worth a play through.

mynthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna have to echo the already-mentioned Bastion and Transistor. The soundtracks really hit it home on those.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Metal Gear Solid 3 really got under my skin with it's ending. The music went a long way in making it all the more depressing.

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, no new suggestions to add but I wanted to say this thread made me finally play To The Moon and oh man! I've never been so moved by a video game. I don't think you can even tell a more moving story in a 4-hour video game.

Gone Home still stands as my most moving 3-hour video game. I'm going to pretend those are different categories so I don't have to compare them. Similar story-driven casual gameplay, but affecting in different ways.

bgmnts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are plenty.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

No Caption Provided
pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Games that make me care about the characters and get to me emotionally hooked are the most memorable agreed. The ME series did that in spades and LoU is doing that now(first time 4 me on PS4), Holy shit, so much so.

If you haven't played Lost Odyssey yet, do that tc. It has some really great moments character wise and the poems about the main dude's past are gut wrenching..at least they were for me. Brothers was like that too, but overall a bit to short and thin to stick really. Still good. Sometimes it's just a game that blows you away because of lack of familiarity of the series. Oblivion had that effect on me because of never playing any ES games before it, and the massive commitment I put in before getting to the story end, not that it was great though admittedly. You know, Red Dead got to me too. That ending got me good. R*'s best imo.

Torbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kentucky Route Zero got me feeling pretty emotional.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Off the top of my head (and games that you didn't list):

• MGS 2
  • MGS 3
  • FFX
  • FFVIII
  • Okami

Umm... I think that's about it. I got kinda choked up during the dramatic arcs of those games. Also, they're all conveniently playable on a PS2. :P

Slade-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never cry in any game before.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

End of Final Fantasy X.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#65  Edited By Pepsiman

A handful of people have already endorsed Christine Love's work, all of which is emotional and I'm fond of dearly, but I'll chime in with Analogue: A Hate Story and, to a slightly lesser extent, Hate Plus, its sequel. The leading ladies have absolutely gut-wrenching stories that are worth seeing through to the end and the climax of Analogue is so powerful that I still cry every time I go through it despite playing through the game several times. Fantastic achievements in game writing all around with both of them.

Disaster Report and its sequel, Raw Danger, I feel are also really emotional powerful. Some people will argue that they're clunky games bogged down with dated mechanics and held back by the PS2 hardware, but they're so earnest about tackling the subject of surviving natural disasters without making a spectacle out of things that I can't help but love them dearly. Granted, I played them in Japanese and I mention that because the English edition was subject to some very strange localization changes that rob those games of that original identity, something that I can't imagine those games not having since they helped me cope with my memories of the Tohoku earthquake a few years back, but I know the games have their followings overseas still, so if you get the chance and can find them for cheap, it might be worth a shot.

You have a Chie icon, OP, so you might well have already played it, but I also found a lot of the side stories in Shin Megami Tensei IV to be touching. The main plotline is take it or leave it with a lot of people, but if you're one of those people that enjoys talking to NPCs and doing a lot of sidequests to get backstory stuff about the game, SMT4 will reward you in spades. You have to be pretty vigilant and talk to the same NPCs somewhat routinely since many of them ongoing plotlines that develop the further you get into the game, but there are definitely some in there that moved me quite a bit, especially when you get to the end of the game and everything is slowly coming to a head.

A lot of other great suggestions in this thread that I would echo, too, but even so, I'd still strongly suggest checking at least some of the games I've brought up here if you have time. :)

(Edit: Dammit, how could I forget Dangan Ronpa 2? The emotional payoffs at the end of the game will be bigger if you've already played the previous game, but having played it in Japanese, I'm not exaggerating when I say that Dangan Ronpa 2 is one of the best written and most emotional games I've played bar none. It's natural to go into the game expecting some pretty traumatic moments if you're already familiar with the original game, but 2 has such a profoundly lovable and relateable cast that when things go bad, you feel god damn terrible. There were a few scenes that were so hard for me that I actually had to put the game down and cry stuff out for a few minutes because of how intense it gets. I can only hope the English localization does it justice because the original Japanese is just superb and I love it so, so much.)

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Virtues Last Reward.

Most of the time you'll be alternating between confusion and anger (or a mixture of the two) but there is one ending that just about had me bawling.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Some of the text stories (I think they're called memories?) in Lost Odyssey are bizarrely poignant, probably the best part of the story

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not much of a crier myself over games, but games that really made me feel something beyond the satisfaction of beating a game at the end include:
Metal Gear Solid 3 (in the other Metal Gears I was far more interested in the story and all the twists, MGS3 I think is the only one that really has a strong emotional impact, especially with it's ending monologue. Because of its nature as a prequel, I think its possible to play through it without having played the others and still feel emotions at the end, especially since the character that is key to the ending does not really show up in any other Metal Gear game)
Bastion and Transistor
I can see what you mean about Persona 4 though. I jut finished it myself for the first time, and I thought the ending was really well done, especially with how the story was actually conveyed through the turn-based battle system. I thought that was pretty neat.

MaxOpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70  Edited By MaxOpower

Probably not that reverent, but her goes.

I cry pretty easily, I cry when I'm sad, but a lot of the time I cry when I'm happy too, and I'm especially touched by good visual art, by pretty stuff. Take me to a museum, a pretty film, a well decorated house, or even just a idyllic looking tree on a sunny day, and I'll be bound to cry.

So here are some games (from the last four years or so) that I were weeping playing through:

• Transistor
  • Hohokum
  • The Last of Us
  • BioShock Infinite
  • Proteus
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Tearaway
  • Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
  • Journey
  • Fez
  • Dyad
  • Botanicula
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Limbo
  • Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
  • Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties

WalkmanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By WalkmanBoy

You know Call of Duty 2: Big Red One actually made me quite emotional when I played it, it's obviously trying to be Band of Brothers (I think some of the VO is from Band of Brothers actors) but I think it had some great emotional punches.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

Baldur's Gate as a saga would be a ridiculously long burn, but the places the story goes (even with the new Enhanced Edition characters) will leave you teary, and the length of time you spend with them will only contribute to that.

I'm nowhere near finished with it, but Always Sometimes Monsters has a purposefully oppressive story beat that's already left me teary. The only reason I haven't marathonned it is because I'm addicted to another game series right now.

I'll try to pipe in when I have a better list.

Datajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm not really much of anything, except for the Opera scene in SNES FF3...a bit odd, that.

Torbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Torbot

Kentucky Route Zero is probably one of the best-written video-games i've ever played, and that really comes through with how it handles the player's emotions. Those heartfelt and bittersweet moments REALLY sneak up on you.

I totally agree. Kentucky Route Zero is awesome.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm receptive to being emotionally impacted by games, but so many of them (including some on your list) I'm just not able to be impacted by. They feel . . . very lacking. The same stories, in a movie, would fall flat. The only part that really did anything for me in Last of Us was the part where one character is harmed and you begin to take over as the other. It was a moment that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. It was remarkable. This moment of "oh my god, is this me transitioning from having a companion to being alone and taking care of myself, using the skills I learned from the other person?". It was masterful and very moving.

The only other title I can think of that impacted me (though I may be forgetting some - I dunno) is The Walking Dead's first season. That ending. Holy fucking hell. I bought completely into it in a way I haven't since. The shitty broken save system and tired game mechanic drove me away from bothering with any more Telltale games and I was not interested in more Clementine; I wanted new characters to tell a new story in the same world. That ending had me sobbing like a broken-hearted school-girl and I could barely even see the screen as I played the last couple minutes of it.

Oh - a third one that someone mentioned - Red Dead Redemption. At the end, I was like "does this just go on forever? Is it just giving me a taste of farming life or something on the range?". I was about to finally just quit and then... mind blown. It was unexpected and cleverly done, even if just slightly heavy handed.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get this "games make you cry." nonsense but I did feel like The Last of Us hit some notes.