• 71 results
#1 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

So last year a couple of cool duders and I made a Giant Bomb GOTY Community Podcast. I loved it and wished to do more with the same team. Unfortunately we never really agreed on doing another one. I've been waiting to do something like this for a long time now and I've finally decided to pull the trigger. I'd like to do a podcast that discusses video games and other things. Those other things could be Giant Bomb community related(like interviewing more well-known duders on the site or talking about Giant Bomb in general). The podcast would mostly be a couple of people just talking about games. This podcast doesn't have to be weekly as I understand that many of you are busy living your lives. I don't want to create a podcast that has to be a commitment. However, I'd like for the podcast to at least be done monthly. Games are a big enough subject to tackle so I'd like it to be focused on our play time with them and generally discussing the news around them. If you'd like to be a part of this then let me know in the comments below. Before doing that here's a handy list of things that you should have in order for me to consider you.

What you should have/know before being a part of this podcast

• In order to make things easy for scheduling it'd be ideal for you to live in the United States. It'd be perfect if you lived in the east coast.

• You should have a decent mic. Nothing fancy, but I won't be accepting laptop mics.
  • Must have a wide range of gaming knowledge(basically know what you're talking about when discussing games).
  • If you're good at recording audio through skype than that'd be great
  • Must play some games that have come out this year or at least play games. If you hate games then you probably don't want to be a part of this.
  • Please be active on the site and pay attention to your PM's. Don't leave us hanging when we have to record. If you want to be a part of this then try to make it for every recording.
  • We'll be using skype for the podcast so have an account for it.
  • Be sure that you have enough time to do this
  • Have fun, duder.
  • The maximum limit of people that I'd like to be on the podcast is 5.

If you're interested be sure to say why you'd like to be a part of this in detail(just saying yes won't cut it). We'll need someone that is great at recording audio over skype and making that into a podcast. Anyone that can do that should let me know. Please don't be a dick about this and try to post about things that don't relate to the main topic. I'd like to make this be as easy as possible. Hopefully I'll round up a couple of duders and post a podcast. :)

EDIT: This podcast will not be a GOTY. It'll be an hour gaming podcast based on our playtime plus gaming news.

#2 Edited by NoobSauceG7 (1247 posts) -

I would like to join you. I remember being part of the messages about the GOTY podcast last year, but I couldn't join you guys at the time. I listened to the final product you guys did and really enjoyed it. If you want to message me about what I have played and what now then please do!

Edit: Forgot to mention I am on the East coast too. I also play most of the big games and would love to share my opinion and talk to some other people about them.

#3 Edited by YI_Orange (1148 posts) -

I might be interested in this. I haven't been as active on the forums as I'd like to be recently, but I'm trying to remedy that.

I have a headset that should be fine, but if it's no good I could always replace it if I'm in included.

I don't have experience recording audio, but if needed I could dick around with things and see if I can figure it out.

As for time, I'm an East Coaster, but I guess it all depends when you want to record it.

Most importantly though(I think anyway), I think doing a podcast would be a ton of fun.

#4 Posted by mwjeffcott (40 posts) -

I would be all over this, except I'm taking a 2 month vacation next month, then moving to Melbourne, Australia. If you need more duders after mid-June, let me know. I've wanted to do something like this for a long time.

#5 Edited by ReddenBlack (123 posts) -

I would be totally down to be a part of this! I'm outspoken, intelligent (if I do say so myself,) and passionate about games. I play all genres, (even ones I don' t necessarily care for.) I can wax poetic about anything related to games, storytelling, tech. But also I try to think about higher things like philosophy and the place of narrative fiction in the human mind and civilization. Sadly, I don't have any experience recording audio, but I am currently in school pursuing a degree in Design and Media production, so if we keep this going I'll almost certainly be able to take a course or two that would be applicable here. I can get a decent mic, no problem there. I am on the east coast, but I also stay up late, so anytime works well. I'd love to do this, I think it would be a ton of fun, and a great way to interact with some duders I wouldn't normally get a chance to hang with.

In short, PM me!

(Edit: I know I don't have quite so many posts on the site. But I actually do spend most of the day lurking, and I've always been more focused on the videos and podcasts on the site. Thats kind of what inspired me to go back to school. Anyway, just want to say that small post count isn't really indicative of my heavy love of GB. )

#6 Edited by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

I'd be very interested in being part of this, sounds fun. The one thing I don't have out of that list of criteria would be experience recording audio, but I could probably learn it and hopefully find free software or something to allow for that. Besides that, I do have extensive game knowledge and I'm on the site all the time (not necessarily participating in the forum, but I'm always online).

And because of my username, I am from Alaska, so while there's a time difference I'm still in the US. 4 hour difference between here and the east coast shouldn't be too bad.

#7 Posted by mrfluke (5154 posts) -

id be down for this, but i have no experience recording audio and with my job im currently real busy atm.

#8 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

I wish you good luck once again, Phatmac! Now to flee before @ghostiet comes in and yells at me again.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@phatmac said:

• You should have a decent mic. Nothing fancy, but I won't be accepting laptop mics.

Can it be a mic that I've attached to a laptop?

I'm not actually doing it. I don't know what my microphone quality actually is, and I'm not very good at conversations.

#10 Edited by ShaggE (6454 posts) -

I'd love to. I've always wanted to do a podcast, but never had the opportunity. I'm afraid I'm not very handy with audio, but what I *can* offer is a fairly extensive knowledge of PC games and an almost embarrassing amount of 90s PC game minutiae. I've also done short stints as a writer for a couple of sites, so I have (a little bit of) insight from the press side of things. My console gaming knowledge is far more limited, but I can still contribute there as well.

I have a headset mic that should serve well. It's nothing amazing, but it's definitely better than a laptop mic.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm on the East coast.

#11 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

I've been on a game podcaststhat another group of friends have going on a bi-weekly basis. I can probably make some time for this if you need an extra duder to complain about things that only bother me in video games.

I'll probably be in a crunch for finals around the end of April, but I'm done with this semester about the third week of May so I'll have plenty of time then.

#12 Edited by Aegon (5638 posts) -

@video_game_king said:

@phatmac said:

Can it be a mic that I've attached to a laptop?

I'm not actually doing it. I don't know what my microphone quality actually is, and I'm not very good at conversations.

Finally, the voice of the shape shifting moon man shall be heard.

I might do it as well, but it depends on how long the podcast will be and when it'll be recorded. If this becomes a regular thing then maybe you can do some rotations and have some different people on here and there.

#13 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -
#14 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#15 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

It'd probably be easiest for everyone to record their own voices locally, and then combine them after the fact. Would make for better sound quality. But I'd be down I guess. I have audio/video production experience, and on-air/on-mic experience. I used to host a talk radio show at my college.

Just convinced DuskVamp to try recording a Giant Bomb Xtreme Girl Advice Line podcast too. Will probably start doing Let's Plays with a buddy someday too. So I'm into this whole internet talking thingy.

I play the big hits as they come out, but I'm also playing through my backlog, so if that's a problem, I guess I'm not your guy. Also, I'm in Chicago.

#16 Edited by MetalGearSunny (6992 posts) -

I'd be interested in doing it. I live on the east coast and have recorded stuff over Skype before. I like to keep up on gaming news as much as possible. I'm taking a course in journalism, and I think doing a podcast would be an awesome experience, not only because of how fun it would be, but also because it would help me exercise expressing my thoughts through speech and not just through text like I'm used to at this point. I tried several podcasts before which have failed either because of lack of commitment or because they just fucking sucked. But now, being more knowledgeable, I feel like if I gave it another crack, I would be pretty good at it. I have a blog up that showcases a little bit of my writing if you want to check it out. I should probably update that, though.

Also, I like video games, but that's probably not relevant.

#17 Edited by Atlas (2445 posts) -

I'm actually really interested in this. I've been bored as hell recently, and would love to try something new. I just have a Logitech headset mic, but I'd be willing to get something better if need be. I have zero recording experience, but would be eager to learn, and I have lots of time on my hands. I live in the UK, but I'm flexible in terms of hours, as I'm semi-nocturnal (if that's a thing).

I'm by no means a very active member of the community, but I've been around ever since the site launched. I'm mostly a PC gamer, favourite genres including strategy games, RPGs, driving games, and open-world games. If you need someone to articulate just how amazing Crusader Kings II is, then I'm your man. I haven't been playing many recent releases in the last few months, but I intend to rectify that pretty soon, starting with BioShock Infinite. I have a British accent, I'm opinionated and reasonably articulate, and of course down for a laugh as well.

#18 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I wish you good luck once again, Phatmac! Now to flee before @ghostiet comes in and yells at me again.

Haha, thanks cloud. ;)

#19 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

@aegon: If you're too busy than I'll pick someone else. Wouldn't want this to be too much of a time commitment for you.

EDIT: I'm going to PM people on here that I'd like to be on the podcast. If you've posted on here about being too busy and if you don't get a PM by me that means that I probably won't recruit you.

#20 Edited by TooWalrus (13198 posts) -

@phatmac I fit all of this criteria. Well, I've never recorded a skype conversation, but everything else. I've never podcasted before, it sounds like fun. If you find yourself needing someone reliable, let me know. PM me if you want my current and future schedule. I've actually been playing quite a few games lately- and I'll be done with school for good in May so that'll free up my schedule quite a bit.

Basically... Wake me, when you need me.

#21 Edited by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

I really wanted to get in on the GOTY thing until I had to bow out so I'm interested for sure. I can't say I have much experience recording audio on my end but I have done a podcast before with some guys. Small site/podcast I used to do called Game n' Talk with some other guys (well that is until our wordpress blog was hacked and we lost everything)

I have a turtle beach headset that I use for both gaming and talking on skype the audio quality is pretty decent on it. As for being active on the site well...being 8000 post deep I hope I'm considered one of the regulars around here.

#22 Edited by DonChipotle (2760 posts) -

I'd be interested in participating provided of course that there's room enough and all. The talking part, anyway, as I have no idea how to record Skype audio. Video? Sure. Audio? Nah. As far as gear goes, I've been using the same microphone that I've used to talk to teammates on various PC games over the years, though if that isn't up to snuff I can certainly run to the store 'round the corner. I've played a few games this year. So there's that. So, you know, consider this my application for your consideration and even if you have found your crew I still wish ya'll luck.

Fair warning, though, I will look for any opportunity to name drop a particular game whenever it is appropriate in conversation. No, I won't say which. Why ruin the surprise.

#23 Posted by Silver-Streak (1359 posts) -

So, I am interested in this a bit. A few questions that would be helpful for me, though:

Do you have an idea on the time commitment?

Are we just committing to this now, then we do the podcasts near the end of the year?

Is CST ok?

#24 Posted by envane (1163 posts) -

i have a shitty logitech webcam with inbuilt mic , and im also in australia ... i still bring a unique perspective to most things , and im alot more eloquent with my speech than i can be with my writing. that said im pretty sure you have enough interest for this already.. im familiar with skype audio but cant say ive ever mixed it into a podcast , but audio production is my forte. i wish you good luck anyway , enjoyed the last one.

#25 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

@eujin said:

So, I am interested in this a bit. A few questions that would be helpful for me, though:

Do you have an idea on the time commitment?

Are we just committing to this now, then we do the podcasts near the end of the year?

Is CST ok?

We'll agree on a time that is best for everyone(or mostly everyone). It'll probably be on the weekends.

I'll give you guys time to get ready for this by doing a testcast this weekend and seeing who actually wants to be in it. I'll probably start doing a regular podcast on April if I have enough duders on it.

It's fine. EST would be better, but I'd be fine with it.

#26 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

@envane said:

i have a shitty logitech webcam with inbuilt mic , and im also in australia ... i still bring a unique perspective to most things , and im alot more eloquent with my speech than i can be with my writing. that said im pretty sure you have enough interest for this already.. im familiar with skype audio but cant say ive ever mixed it into a podcast , but audio production is my forte. i wish you good luck anyway , enjoyed the last one.

Australia would be tough as most of us live in the USA. I'm sorry but I have a lot of other people interested in this. Thanks for being interested!

#27 Edited by believer258 (11909 posts) -

I fit all of those criteria except for Skype experience and playing current games. I'm definitely playing games, though, and have a good knowledge (though not Jeff-like) of games and the current events surrounding them.

But yes, I'd definitely be willing to join in on this.

#28 Edited by Silver-Streak (1359 posts) -

@phatmac: Thanks for the info. I guess I'd want to clarify: The idea is to do a community GOTY podcast for 2012 games, starting in April 2013. Correct? Or is it a 2013 GOTY podcast starting in April 2013? (Which would seem weird)

#29 Edited by envane (1163 posts) -

@phatmac: oh i mentioned the Australia bit because latency might affect the skype quality , at least it would fuck with things with the delay , my sleep patterns are pretty terrible from all the years i spent WoW raiding with americans , so meeting your time zone requirements is trivial to me ..

#30 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

@eujin said:

@phatmac: Thanks for the info. I guess I'd want to clarify: The idea is to do a community GOTY podcast for 2012 games, starting in April 2013. Correct? Or is it a 2013 GOTY podcast starting in April 2013? (Which would seem weird)

It's not going to be a GOTY podcast. This will be a weekly gaming podcast about our playtime plus news.

#31 Posted by Salarn (465 posts) -

I'd be up for taking part in this podcast.

#32 Edited by IrrelevantJohn (1072 posts) -

I would love to do this since I meet most of the requirements. The only thing that might be hard is playing new games. I occasionally play new games but I play a lot of the older stuff that I missed. Also would love to get some use out of my Blue Snowball microphone lol.

#33 Posted by TruthTellah (9082 posts) -

I just wanted to wish you good luck! I'll be interested to hear it.

Despite living in the US and liking games, I have a crappy mic; so, I think that disqualifies me. ha. I do hope you'll find someone who can be positive and have fun with it though! Can't have Giant Bomb just represented by the grumps. ;)

#34 Posted by Thompson820 (410 posts) -

I recorded my own gaming podcast about 5 years ago for a Call of Duty clan, me and another guy did it for about 2 years. It was a great experience and at some point I bought a professional quality microphone (Shure SM58) to double down on the quality. However, I'm going to assume I won't be able to participate in this thanks to living in Australia. Damn you time zones!

Still, I'm super happy for you guys. Doing community podcasts is great fun and can actually be very important to a community if done right.

One tip for you: If you want to improve the quality of the recording massively you should get each person to record their own microphone with Audacity and send you the file afterwards instead of recording the Skype call itself. Skype is a good solution for remote podcasting but the quality is fairly poor, if you can be bothered mixing the tracks together in Audacity you'll get a huge quality boost for free. (As a backup somebody should record the Skype call too, just in case.)

#35 Edited by Ghostiet (5275 posts) -

@phatmac, don't you dare do this without me! I'M ON LIKE DONKEY KONG

#36 Edited by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

Damn, I'd totally be down for this, as I do some semi-regular podcasting with a mate and love to talk about games.. unfortunately I live in Australia though..

#37 Edited by Brewmaster_Andy (521 posts) -

I'd possibly be down for this as well. I have experience recording and podcasting (as well as mixing). I used to host The Brewcast, which I started with Joey Fameli over at Tested. I am East Coast.

#38 Posted by FLStyle (4701 posts) -

Good luck with that, sounds like a good listen.

#39 Posted by NyxFe (248 posts) -

If you still need any more, I'd be interested in giving it a shot. I have a professional quality recording setup along with previous podcasting/speaking experience, and can record/noise cancel my own master (I am also willing to edit the tracks together if you are interested in independent recording). I am generally able to speak fluidly and fill dead air if necessary. I also live in EST and have a ton of free time as I am a freelance programmer.

I have played (constantly) written about (occasionally) and designed (a few) games over the last 15 years, and my general field of interests are Japanese RPGs and action games (DMC3, Monster Hunter, Demon's Souls). I would say I have a higher than average experience with games in general, and generally analyse them alongside playing them.

Let me know if you have any need for me, I'm always happy to talk about games.

#40 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

Will there be try outs?

I am greatly interested in giving it my all! >:3

#41 Edited by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -

@phatmac: I've wanted to talk to people about video games over the Internet for the past decade or so, outside of the two people that I do get to talk to about video games already. Real talking to really real people is both terrifying and terribly exciting to me, and I'd love to spit game/listen to yous guyses' opinions and thoughts on this cool new thing called video game.

I've played games very nearly every day of my life, and plan on continuing to do so. It'd be even sexier to actually talk with duders about all the things they love/hate/fear/enjoy/mock/feel inspired by regarding gaming. As an example of some games that I done played recently, please read past this lovely colon:

I have a Snowball microphone and a clip on lav for the recording my very own voice. I'm also able to record other people's audio/video too, and I'm familiar with audio/video editing. Mumble has (or did have, when I last checked) a nice feature where you can simultaneously record every individual's microphone at the same time, this gives you many more options when mixing.

Ich bin ein Englander, and as such I live in the one true time zone, GMT. However, I do keep late hours and most likely would be able to join you at your earliest time zone-based convenience.

If you want to know what I sound like, sound like, sound like, this is what I sound like/act like. Then please check out My YouTube/Radio Dave/Big Live Live Show Live/other call in type things that have gone up on the site. I'm the posh sounding English guy who calls in to nearly all of them. I also write a silly monthly blog thing on this here website, for which I'll presently show you the banner of:

Fatbomb: A Tale of Five Cities

See? I told you I would.

See? I am video games.

<>

(Plus, we already follow each other on Giant Bomb...so...we're like...family, right?)

(A creepy, creepy family)

#42 Edited by anywhereilay (145 posts) -

Completely interested. I know I'm not a regular poster on this site but I visit very regularly and would consider myself very versed in current gaming news/trends/etc.

As for recording equipment, I have a very high quality condenser microphone although I've never connected it for use with skype ( I can't imagine that being a problem though). So if you fancy a gamble, PM me!

#43 Edited by CornBREDX (5292 posts) -

I think Fattony really wants to be on your podcast.

Sorry the other podcast fell apart Phatmac, I know you really wanted to get her done.

I'll be closing on my house soon (Friday, YAY- this idiot somehow got someone to give him money to buy a house- WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!) so after that I'll have free time again.

Looks like you have enough people so I'm not auditioning again but wishing you the best of luck!

I'm going to start a podcast where we listen to your podcast and talk about how much we cant stand it =P

Jokes!

#44 Edited by notdavid (839 posts) -

I'd be into this. You should probably check out my dumb YouTube channel to get a feel for my audio setup and how I am on mic.

#45 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Fatcast

I think we have a podcast name.

#46 Posted by TooWalrus (13198 posts) -

Fatcast

Phatmac, Fattony, "Walrus" ...are you morbidly obese? Or just morbidly mocha?

I don't like where this is going.

#47 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

@morbid_coffee said:

Fatcast

Phatmac, Fattony, "Walrus" ...are you morbidly obese? Or just morbidly mocha?

I don't like where this is going.

The girth of the other three members makes up for me.

#48 Posted by phantomzxro (1577 posts) -

@phatmac: I would actually be very interested in this because as a person who listens to many podcast i often find reviewers have a different outlook because of their jobs. While normal gamers don't have to rush to beat games and often can be more informed because of it. I have a Skype account and an average mic but i can get a better mic if need be.

Also a cool idea would be maybe to have a rotating cast so if you do have more then 5 people join others can guest star on the podcast. This may also free up people if their schedule not flexible to do it every two week or every month.

#49 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Way too many people are interested in this! Thank you guys! :D The only problem is deciding on 5 people that'll be the main crew on the show. I may rotate out different people in order to find out the best team so we'll see! I've added duders on here to the PM thread so for those that aren't invited you probably won't be on the podcast. Thanks for the huge amount of interest in this guys. I'm honestly shocked. :)

#50 Edited by MarkOnFire (65 posts) -

This is an awesome idea! I can provide editing experience (I have two podcasts, one gaming, one not) that I edit mostly in Logic, which lends itself to Skype and remote GarageBand podcasts well. I also have decent home recording gear.

I could help out with hosting and editing as well, per need. Lemme know.

Suggestion: compile a list of potential cast members and guests on this thread, then start a recording schedule to lock down some committed recording dates. Once it's on the books, the rest of the work tends to get easier to pin down.