I need some help with interviewing people.

invadernick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hi guys, I'm starting a blog about interviews with interesting strangers I come across in my everyday life. The problem is, I have 0 experience with professional interviewing and writing. I mostly record the entire interview and come out with question off the top of my head. But I'm pretty sure there are better ways of doing that. I also have no idea what notes I should write. I'd really appreciate it if I had some guidance from anyone with some experience!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

First of all, I think you need a topic you're going to interview people about and then you can branch off from there. If you came up to me to interview me and I asked you what it was about and you didn't have an answer, I would tell you to go pound sand.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well, your whole premise sort of goes against traditional customs regarding interviewing. I mean, normally, an interviewer knows who they're going to interview beforehand, giving them time to think of important questions and to research the individual. But if you're just interviewing "interesting strangers [you] come across in [your] everyday life", then you're not going to have that time. So, really, there is no better way to come up with questions with the style you've adopted.

Just take notes of what you find important or interesting. Paraphrase and summarize key points.

And always (can't stress this enough) ask if it's okay for you to record the conversation.