I no longer have the time or money to play a lot of video games.

Hangid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Hangid

I just kind of realized this, and its kind of sad. However, I still enjoy keeping up with latest gaming/industry news. Is anybody else in the position as I am?  

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Yup, I am, and ready to kickstart my gaming again with the purchase of a PS3 slim

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By breadfan

I've cut back on buying new games at full price.  Actually I've only purchased three new games this year.

The last game I payed full price for was Resident Evil 5 back when it first came out.  I still poke around Steam and find deals on games whenever they have them, you can save a lot of money that way. 

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By angelkanarias

I have a friend who knows stuff about videogames, but can't afford them. I have discussions with him and it's cool. I would probably continue enjoying videogame news even if I couldn't buy one single game.

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By nixium

Its kinda weird but I almost enjoy the culture around games more than the games itself. 

That being said I am hopelessly addicted to Dragon Age right now but before that I had just putting around with Borderlands and a bit with Killzone 2.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ieatlions
@nixium said:
" Its kinda weird but I almost enjoy the culture around games more than the games itself.   That being said I am hopelessly addicted to Dragon Age right now but before that I had just putting around with Borderlands and a bit with Killzone 2. "
YEP!
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm currently on a four year university course which is going to get VERY busy. Currently I don't actually have the cash to buy any new games as much as I'd really like to and in the future I may have very little time to play them as well. But dammit, I'm a gamer and I'm going to do everything I can to make the most of every opportunity I get to play.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Azteck

Alas, I can't afford a lot of games. Well I could, but I don't like spending all my money on games so I rarely buy any. And if I buy them it's usually a couple of months or a year after the release so the price is lower.

I've bought maybe.. 2-3 games this year. Picking up MW2 tomorrow probably.

angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By angelfan91

I know how you feel.  I am in the process of finding a job and I literally have no money.  I don't want to trade anything in either because everything I have I want to keep playing.  MW2 comes out tomorrow and sadly I will have to wait.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By maxszy

Yeah, I am with you especially the money for games front. Time, I do have a good chunk of that.

As others have stated, I actually have only bought 3 games at full price this year. Granted, they've all been within the last 3 weeks (FIFA 10, Borderlands, Dragon Age) but that will about do it for me for the whole year so I figure its ok. There's much more I would have liked to buy throughout the year but that just didn't happen. May get MW2, probably... but we'll see.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By penguindust

I don't buy as much new as I used to.  I have discovered patience and find that I can often pick up 3 or 4 titles for the same price of one if I am willing to wait a year or so.  Most of the games I play are single player, so being in the midst of a multiplayer community is not often a factor.  For games where that might be an issue, I usually break down and pick up the game (MW2).  Then there are those games I doubt I'll spend more than 10 hours with.  For them there is Gamefly.  I rent a few titles each month to get a taste for many of todays offerings even if I don't always bother to finish the title. 

Time is something that I can't manage though.  As an adult, I have a myriad of responsibilities that must be met before I can spend my time freely.  And, even then, I am not always in the mood to actively play a game in the evening.  Sometimes, I just want to turn off my brain and watch TV until I fall asleep.  But, I find that reading and writing about games will often excite me for play when the time becomes available.  Here again, I've learned patience.

tayruh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By tayruh

Working 40 hours a week while trying to maintain a social life and paying about 2/3 of your monthly income in bills really takes a lot of your ability to buy and play games, but I sure try! My main problem is that my inability to dump serious time into games causes me to stop playing a game in the middle when the next greatest thing comes out. I have a really hard time creating a forward catalogue of new games, but I don't mind going back to half finished ones (even though I forget some of the story). I wish I had the patience to do it the other way around..

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

I keep myself up to date but I don't play many games anymore. Not because of time or money but relative disinterest in the product. I think Infinity Ward, Kojima Productions, Epic and Rockstar are the only companies whose games I even consider buying unless I know for a fact it's something good, like with Arkham Asylum. Even then, it's a handful of games a year.

sirkibble23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By sirkibble23

Christmas money has never been so appealing. I do wish I had more time to play games though but it is what it is. 

Madyew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Madyew

While I'm playing quite a few games now, I went through a phase where I didn't play a lot of new releases. I was able to find fun downloadable games that gave a lot of bang per buck off Steam and other places.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Same here, lack of cash flow. 
But its nice to hear about the industry. 

Best part? Being all hyped up for a game, wishing so much you could buy it, then hearing it sucks. 
Brutal Legend, I'm looking at you.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Rowr

I hear you. Just no time.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Black_Raven

For me it's not so much the time that's the problem, I just haven't had enough motivation to play a game and stick to it. Schools finishing soon though so I'll have a lot of time just to play games so hopefully and I can get back into it.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake

I've been reduced to buying second hand games so yes. In fact, it's been like this since I've gotten my PS3 two months ago. Although I won't be able to play new games as I wish I could, I still play all my old games (some of which I find better then these new games) and when I'm not gaming, I talk about them. Non-stop on the internet since most of my friends aren't that "hardcore" as I am. I think I'm the only one who has actually played games from X-Com to Thief to Arcanum.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By m1k3  Online

I hear ya when it comes to not having time to play games. Just too much on my plate.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PureRok

I have all the time in the world. I just don't have any money.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Seedofpower

Yes, I am in the same boat. I just realized this since I've been talking to this girl.  Oh well, I still enjoy it as a hobby.

Avatar image for dancedancekennypants
DanceDanceKennypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer.

kira112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kira112

no money right now to buy games, waiting till my college funding gets sorted out then ill spend spend!
VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VanderSEXXX
@Hangid:  Yeah eversince I graduated college and I was never able to find jobs that actually gave me enough time for a break especially here in Japan where many of these guys dunno how to give a break. I mean jeez I only bought 2 games up to now for my PS3 eversince i bought it in 2007.:o *sniff*
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By Siphillis

I usually am.  Every once in a while, a game (Half-Life 2, Super Mario Galaxy, Grand Theft Auto IV) will reignite my interests for a while, but I will always retreat in the end.  I prefer films, books, and music anyway.

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fbomb

It's not that I don't have the money, it's that I don't have the time. It's really not a priority anymore. The only game I've played since I received my Demon's Souls preorder, is Demon's Souls, and I have yet to finish it (not because I'm bad at it, but because I only play in spurts).

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Never had enough money for video games as I am 15, but I have plenty of time for video gaming as I am 15.  Gaming's my life and it trumps all else in priority (except for school) so I doubt I'll ever put myself in a situation where I can't play to my leisure.

hwarang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By hwarang
@Hangid said:
" I just kind of realized this, and its kind of sad. However, I still enjoy keeping up with latest gaming/industry news. Is anybody else in the position as I am?   "
How did you realize this. Did you make a budget or something? 
By the way I agree about buying or renting games much later. I just got Mass Effect for $10 on Steam. That's awesome. I want to support the industry and everything but if I buy 10 games a year that's over $600 bucks. Who does that any more, especially in this economy.
drew327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By drew327
@nixium: I feel the same way.  I have a lot of downtime at work so I have plenty of time to listen to gaming podcasts or read about games.  However, I don't have a ton of time to play them on my own.  However, money left over after the bills are paid still seems to all go towards games.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iam3green

that sucks but from my mom telling me how many games i have it made me realize i should cut back on some games. i counted how many games i paid full price for and i have around $500+ on xbox 360 games. the sad thing is that  a lot of them i haven't beaten either. i've also been working on beating the games.

Lavender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lavender

Usually i just hold the urge of buying new games and wait couple months for the price to drop..  59.99 for a Game is pretty crazy to me.