#1 Posted by Sanryd (1361 posts) -

It's been quite a while since I've posted here on GB, but I figured if anyone could help me it'd be you guys: Outside of a few games that I absolutely love to death, I can't play a single player game and enjoy myself anymore.

I think it's a problem with immersion. The only single player games I can enjoy are the ones I enjoy so immensely that I don't even think about why I'm playing them. That, or handheld games when I'm out and there's nothing else I could be doing anyway. When I'm at home playing a single player game, other things I could be doing start to nag at my mind. When I'm playing a multiplayer game, the other people keep me there. I'm playing with them so I feel like it's worth doing. Now that I think of it, the same thing happens with TV shows. If I'm not watching with other people I find myself asking: why am I doing this?

Is there anyone here with solid advice for me?

#2 Posted by procrasturbate (277 posts) -

Yo! Take a break from playing games for a bit. Go out, hang out, watch a movie, read a book, get laid. Pursue a hobby or a passion of yours that you might have neglected. Good luck.

#3 Posted by JoeyRavn (4888 posts) -

Going by what you're saying, I guess you've lost interest in single player games *gasp!*

No, really, it's fine and natural. If you've got things that you deem more worthy of your attention than a video game, then it's only logical that you think that you're wasting your time playing said video game instead of doing said things. I wouldn't force myself to play something that I'm not enjoying* just because I don't want to lose my "gaming pedigree" or something like that. I would suggest that you play what you want, when you want. If you fancy playing some online FPS or MMO instead of single player games, go for it. Gaming is all about enjoying yourself.

*Blatant lie. I've finished and S-Ranked countless games that I thought were utter shit. But you're you and I'm me.

#4 Posted by soul101 (104 posts) -

maybe you don't like games anymore. I personally go threw fits and starts with PLAYING games, I however find the gaming community to be where I find myself most comfortable. For months I'll stay up to date with all the news etc, playing only the top tier games casually then go hard for a couple months 'till I burn out again, its MY process, try and find yours.

#5 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

I dunno man, maybe you're just a social gamer. The best moments of my life so far have mostly had to do with playing games with my best friends. Nothing wrong with just wanting to play with duders and dudettes and not finding singleplayer stuff engaging.

If you want to get into singleplayer games more often, try new genres. You'd be surprised how addicting something silly like Zoo Tycoon can be if it hits you right.

#6 Posted by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -

Just out of curiosity, what do you enjoy doing by yourself? What happens during your "alone time"?

#7 Posted by believer258 (11057 posts) -

Do you do things, by yourself, that don't have anything to do with video games? Is there something you feel like you need to do (i.e. the laundry, a report, some work, etc.)? And have you tried any new genres of games? I used to play a whole lot of shooters and got really bored of games until I started jumping into some RPG's and the occasional racing game.

@Sanryd said:

I think it's a problem with immersion.

I wouldn't say that. I don't really buy into the whole idea that "you can forget that you're holding a controller and become part of the world". You can be so focused on something that you don't pay much attention to anything else around you, but you're still playing a video game; this is why games like Dragon Age Origins still get called "immersive". You get so focused on the story and combat but never forget that you're playing a game because you spend a lot of time pausing, looking at menus and numbers, deciding who is going to attack what, etc.

For that matter, Just Cause 2 and Far Cry 3 aren't really "immersive", but it is pretty entertaining to see and do some of the crazy shit in those games.

#8 Posted by Sanryd (1361 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you enjoy doing by yourself? What happens during your "alone time"?

@believer258:

Hmm, what do I do by myself... browse reddit (only to pass the time though, I don't actively say 'I think I'll browse reddit for an hour now!'), watch streams of League of Legends, I'll go for a run or walk while listening to the Bombcast.. that's all I can think of. Apparently I'm terrible at being alone..

#9 Posted by Athadam (638 posts) -

Maybe it's the quality of the games you've been playing?

Do you enjoy watching certain television shows (Breaking Bad, Modern Family), do you still watch movies, or read books?

If you've been having a problem with immersion, I suggest games like The Walking Dead, Mass Effect, Far Cry 3, Saints Row 3. I personally really enjoyed all of those and they sucked so much time out of me.

#10 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Call of Duty...it's all you need.

#11 Posted by Majkiboy (939 posts) -

@Sanryd: Maybe try board games with friends since you seem to like social gaming :)

#12 Edited by The_Hiro_Abides (1231 posts) -

I have similar feelings sometimes. Mostly I get bored or feel like I can better spend my time. Anyway, lately what I've been doing (for games that don't require my full attention) is play the endurance run on laptop nearby or listen to a podcast while I play. Apparently I need to feel like I'm multitasking while I play.

EDIT: I've used this method to play through Halo 4 and Reach on legendary and finish my 2 year old save on Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

#13 Edited by Sanryd (1361 posts) -

@The_Hiro_Abides said:

Anyway, lately what I've been doing (for games that don't require my full attention) is play the endurance run on laptop nearby or listen to a podcast while I play. Apparently I need to feel like I'm multitasking while I play.

I do the exact same thing. Unfortunately it doesn't work for games I'm playing through for the first time, like you kind of said, but I think I actually enjoy something like leveling in WoW with the Bombcast more than playing through a lot of games fresh.

#14 Posted by Sanryd (1361 posts) -

@Castermhief117 said:

Maybe it's the quality of the games you've been playing?

Do you enjoy watching certain television shows (Breaking Bad, Modern Family), do you still watch movies, or read books?

If you've been having a problem with immersion, I suggest games like The Walking Dead, Mass Effect, Far Cry 3, Saints Row 3. I personally really enjoyed all of those and they sucked so much time out of me.

I can read without a problem. It keeps my mind occupied enough where I don't think of other things. Plus, if I'm learning new words it seems like it's worth doing. As for movies and shows I don't ever want to watch them unless it's with someone. (or in the rare case that there's a show I watch along with my friends every week, I'll watch it solo, but I get to talk about it with them later and that's fine)

#15 Posted by MonkeyMitcho (113 posts) -

Play some MMOs or something, we don't judge. Whatever floats your boat.