I put a Gameboy emulator inside the Oculus Rift

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

So yeah, someone released their Gameboy Emulator for Unity this morning, it used a a Render to Texture so I tried it with the Oculus Rift and the results were amazing!

I did not code the emulator at all, I simply threw some 3D models into a scene and make it look nice!

You can get takohi's gameboy emulator here: https://bitbucket.org/takohi/unitygb/wiki/Home

The project you see in the video you can get from my github page: https://github.com/ShaneOBrien/unity-oculus-gameboy (Requires Unity Pro)

You need to provide your own roms etc

If people want to use my scene and models to build a version out that allows them to import their own roms, by all means do! This would remove the Unity Pro requirement.

Here's a build with no licensed roms, but there's a public domain rom called bpong in there. So you can get an idea if you don't have Unity Pro

http://shaneobrien.ie/prog/oculusGameboy.zip

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That's so stupid and pointless I love it.

Money well spent!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's super meta.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's real dumb, but so awesome. Nice job!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

do this but with virtual boy

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Virtual reality put to good use! Someone should make a game where you've got to play a puzzle game while crazy shit is happening around you.

Throw it into the roller coaster demo or something.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UncleBenny

THE BEST.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I really love this. I want to see a lasertag game for this where you use or gameboy as the gun but you play in a fully rendered version of you and your friends houses as the maps.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's almost like a game inside of a game.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idea: Game where you are playing tetris on your gameboy. You may look away from your gameboy at any point to see a woman or man, depending on your choosing, getting undressed. You cannot see both the sexy, sexy person and the gameboy screen at the same time and if you lose a game of tetris the person puts all their clothes back on. Will you look up to see how naked the sexy, sexy person has become and potentially lose your game and have to start over?

Get on it homie.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

What you're saying is that we could have a whole suite of Oculus emulators that place you in a room with a TV and cartridges representing ROMs sitting in front of you? And you could get up and change games when you're done?

Motherfucking sold, I will pay money for that.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's cool!

The obvious next step would be a simulator where you play that you put on an occulus headset and play a game where you sit on a couch playing on a virtual console @_@

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Oculus Rift: Finally out-does the Virtual Boy.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By finstern

@dussck: Oh I like that Idea, different levels! "8 hour plane ride", "3 hour bus ride" etc. Would be easy to do!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I guess we really are living in the future now.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#16  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@dussck said:

That's cool!

The obvious next step would be a simulator where you play that you put on an occulus headset and play a game where you sit on a couch playing on a virtual console @_@

That particular game kinda exists. There's a short oculus rift horror game named Alone where you sit on a couch in a living room playing a game on a TV screen before you, and see weird shit happening in the periphery of your vision. Sadly it isn't a very good execution of that concept, but it's a really neat idea.

What you're saying is that we could have a whole suite of Oculus emulators that place you in a room with a TV and cartridges representing ROMs sitting in front of you? And you could get up and change games when you're done?

Motherfucking sold, I will pay money for that.

I'd be into that as well. Could be something for C64 and Amiga emulators too, Amiga emulators already go through the effort of playing sampled floppy drive sounds when loading games, having to actually put the floppes in the drive, being able to look at the box art and manuals and that stuff from a kinda natural point of view within the emulator would be amazing, as well as being able to set up the general ambience of the room you're playing in - time of day (shut blinds in either case of course), some room layout and maybe era appropriate music or sounds playing from some adjoining room.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

do this but with virtual boy

Now there's an idea.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points