I really don't get the Wii U hate...

scaramoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just sees to me that the media are just reporting doom and gloom on the console without any real basis. This in turn just puts of people buying the console and with so much wide spread hate it makes the situation look far worse than it is. People always go on about their lack of third party support, but really when has Nintendo ever been about third party games? I for one have only ever bought Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles, third party games on their consoles just does not interest me in the slightest, even if they're highly reviewed.... I just do not care. It is the same for every single person I know who has ever owned a Nintendo console, you're only interested in their products.

I'm a PC gamer and I own an Xbox One and PS4, yet there is nothing on either platform that excites me, I cannot name a single game for the PS4 that I care about that is exclusive. The Xbox One has Gears of War, Halo and Forza, but tbh the last Gears of War I liked was the first one on PC, Halo I haven't cared about since the first one and Forza needs to improve their menu design badly. When I think about Sony... like what is their identity at this point? Apart from MGS4 I just couldn't give a shit about the PS3, Socom should have been a big highlight, but they failed to deliver on that. Sony was always about Third Party, they lost their crown with the PS3...

For me when I look at the Wii U.. Pikmin 3, WW HD, Super Mario 3D world and the upcoming MK8 and SSB game I can already think of way more games I care about that Xbox One and PS4 combined. All Nintendo have to do is show Zelda, show the first proper fully 3D Mario and then prove they can create new IPs again and they have my money!

If I'm going to play third party games I will choose PC these days, the PS4 and Xbox One are basically just under powered PCs. So far I've not seen either of them perform and tbh it looks like we'll have nothing for the rest of 2014. Nintendo had their rough post launch year with the Wii U, this is the year they show us why it is worth it, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. The 3DS had the same post launch rough year, it was only 2013 when the 3DS actually became worthwhile and 2014 is that year for the Wii U.

The only thing I wish'd Nintendo would do is sort out their stupid account stuff and how purchases are console bound.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'll admit mine's been gathering dust but not really for lack of anything to play on it, just so many games on my list so little time and other games have my interest more atm (DkS2, Mario Golf lol)

i still dig the crap out of it overall and am sure it'll be seeing a ton more action with Mario Kart 8 and SSB, but i can see this thread devolving pretty easily.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#3  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I don't see all that much hate for it, more confusion. I think the biggest issue for their poor sales is that they did a terrible job in informing the casual players, which was a huge part of their Wii audience, what made the Wii U different from the console they already owned. A huge part of that is the confusing name. The U does nothing to convey that it's something new, the way Super (like the SNES) or 2 would. Even more than a year after release I still keep hearing parents asking the store clerks if the Wii U games on the store shelf can be played on their regular Wii's even if they don't own the "add-on gamepad". Nintendo failed at making it clear that the Wii U is actually the successor to Wii, not just another peripheral for it.

Other than that, I think they generally made the right choices when designing the Wii U. Many don't seem to understand that evolution in technology doesn't only mean that stuff gets more powerful, but also more cost and energy efficient. When designing the Wii U Nintendo chose to go with the most energy efficient solution, rather than the most powerful - they've built a capable machine that does not run hot and can stand some of the punishment you can expect from kids or non-tech savvy people, which I expect will mean that your average Wii U will have a longer life than the previous gen PS3's and 360's, which were notable for their loud fans and overheating issues.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Doom and gloom isn't Wii U hate and it's based on the Wii U's sales, or lack thereof. Also, I see way more people complaining about Wii U bashing then people bashing on the Wii U. Most of the bashing is usually in jest at how poorly Nintendo has handled it especially with the naming and marketing which Nintendo only has themselves to blame. Everyone knew what the Wii was, no one knows what the Wii U is.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By CaLe

They are reporting doom and gloom on the basis of sales figures of the console, which have been terrible. That's not even up for debate.

I was going to buy one earlier today but the site selling it wanted me to come up with a password that contained a symbol, a number, and an upper case character. EFF TH4T NOI$E.

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jeddy201

The real problem with the Wii U was its name. Casual gamers who just owned a Wii didn't know it was different.

Honestly, the Wii U is my favorite current-gen system. It has best average of game quality, and it's just well put together overall. It almost always has one or two really good games a month, it's just those are the only games that come out that month.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Brendan

I don't think there's a lot of hate for the WiiU, just disinterest and acknowledgement that its Nintendo's least successful console to date.

kcp12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo fan's seem to cry "Nintendoom" every time some one criticizes the Wii U or the company. There are reasons why the Wii U isn't selling and there is no sense in Nintendo fans burring their heads in the sand when someone makes a legitimate criticism of the company. The Wii U has issues with the lack of of software, third party support, price, marketing, and a whole bunch of other issues.

The casuals don't see the appeal of the gamepad. They and kids seem to be hooked on tablets/phones. The hardcore gamers aren't impressed with the tech and the lack of third party support. The reason I personally own a 3DS and not a Wii U is because of third party support as Nintendo games don't do it for me alone. Third party support matters (the Gamecube had it) to many people. Nintendo fans aren't happy with the rate of Nintendo games coming out and the franchises they have ignored. The Wii U library isn't horrible but I still think it not at the level it needs to be. The Wii U only has a handful of games (most of which you've named) that are notable and even many of those games are not everyone's cup of tea.

They've basically alienated many of their audiences (casuals, kids, hardcore gamres, Nintendo fans).

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Sometimes when I buy Wii U games at a brick-and-mortar store, the clerk feels the need to inform me that it does not run on the original Wii. Of course I know this, but apparently it's a misunderstanding that happens a lot. How can Nintendo sell Wii U systems when people don't even know what the Wii U is?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Any console with Bayonetta on it is a damn fine console.
Any console with Bayonetta on it is a damn fine console.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Tom_omb

As a Wii U and PC owner I'm not clambering to buy a PS4 or an Xone right away. As a Nintendo fan that felt burned by the Wii, I think the Wii U has done plenty right. It feels like a bit of a homecoming. I wish the sales reflected how I feel about it so Nintendo could return to a time where they weren't third party poison.

The Wiimote wasn't ideal for all gaming input needs and the Wii's whole hog approach to motion control lead to some design decisions that weren't necessarily the best fit for many games Nintendo learned from their mistakes and offered more control options, although it might have lead to some confusion. But, let's face it, the grandmas that bought "Wii bowling," not realizing it played other games, weren't ever going to buy a Wii U.

We'll see how it plays out as the generation goes on, but this time the lower power of the 3DS doesn't seem like such a big deal. The other new machines are at a point of diminishing returns in terms of graphics. A lot of the big new games are coming out on the old consoles with negligible differences. Maybe one thing is the result of the other, or vice versa. Or maybe Nintendo made the right decision for this generation.

Plus something as cool and dumb as the Miiverse is just one of those things only Nintendo can offer.

No Caption Provided

PS: I think Mario 3D World is the next evolution in the flagship Mario series. It's a stronger game by the team that made the Galaxy series. It combines elements that made Mario games great from every era into something new. Plus multiplayer just for kicks. If I'm wrong and we see a return to a Mario 64 or Galaxy style game, I'll be happy to play that too.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a fan of Nintendo, love the 3DS, but I hesitate to get a WiiU because of its lackluster hardware, and doesn't seem to have much on the horizon in terms of games. More Zelda or Metroid? Meh, I don't have any feelings for either of those franchises.

I think also developers don't like the Wii U much, so it's kind of an ugly duckling all around.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#13  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

People who don't have gaming PCs have a weird view on consoles. For whatever reason they want their hardware to be as powerful as possible, but at the same time write of the PC as not counting for various reasons despite actually being the most powerful. To them the Wii U is a joke because it's not going for the power angle, and there's some kind of arbitrary link between the cost of a system and the level of the hardware, so you get people saying things like "Why would I pay $300 for a console on par with the Xbox 360?". You aren't paying for access to a game's library, you're paying for raw potential. For people with PCs though there's nothing special about the PS4 and Xbone, so stripped of that factor you just see the systems for the games, and in terms of exclusives the Wii U is far and away the best of the three. If you have a PC there's really no reason to buy either of the other consoles.

As for game journos bashing Nintendo that's just something that gets clicks, which gets them ad revenue.

UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

It's not a well thought out machine. The Gamepad is an answer to a problem that doesn't really exist for most people outside Japan, so from the standpoint of most people, all they did was make their SKU $80 or so more expensive than it needed to be and all they have to show for it is Baby's First Tablet. And that it's been out for almost 2 and a half years and that ZombiU is still the only game that utilizes it in an interesting way is damning.

I think a lot of people, myself included, love Nintendo games. We have nothing to apologize for if we take the position that if Nintendo is still going to make hardware, they need to stop being god awful at it and remember that they are a global company and drop their obsession with ruling the declining Japanese market(unless the Quality of Life initiative is about getting the Japanese to start having kids again).

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The "doom and gloom" is based on the factually terrible sales number. Nothing more or less. Well maybe that and a vague sense that Nintendo is just grasping at straws on the home console front.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I would describe my feelings towards the Wii U as apathy rather than hate.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

You know why I don't own a WiiU? I didn't own a Nintendo system as a child. Since they are only making those same games again that I have no nostalgia for then why would I need one? It will never have a superior version of a third party game because it's not a capable piece of hardware. Nintendo hasn't shown any new original ideas that are pushing gaming forward. The tablet has been a dud that they don't know what to do with. Their internet infrastructure is a mess. I already have more games than I can play on PSN and Steam. Why would I buy a Wii U? Nintendo doesn't have an answer to that and that's their problem.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#18 FinalDasa  Moderator

Mine is gathering dust at the moment. Like the other consoles it hasn't had a lineup of games I'm clamoring to play.

I purchased because I knew there would be games I'd want to experience. For the Wii I didn't get one until just last year. While I do like it I can't recall every game I ever wanted to try out, so my library for the Wii is low.

For the Wii U I want to keep up with it and make sure I get the games I'm honestly curious about instead of just the greatest hits further down the line.

I think it's easy to pick on the little kid. The Wii U certainly doesn't seem modern when directly compared to the One and PS4. And with Nintendo on the ropes financially its clear what one of the main failures for their company is, the Wii U. So for gamers who are keeping up with this information the Wii U quickly becomes an outcast in a two horse race.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

(I'm speaking for me not anyone else)

I could forgive the weak hardware if the console had games that interests me. Most of their games are kiddy and look unappealing to me.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when has Nintendo ever been about third party games?

Anytime pre-Game Cube era.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bluefish

@brendan said:

I don't think there's a lot of hate for the WiiU, just disinterest and acknowledgement that its Nintendo's least successful console to date.

This. Exactly. People kind of like it, but not enough.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Zevvion

Just sees to me that the media are just reporting doom and gloom on the console without any real basis. This in turn just puts of people buying the console and with so much wide spread hate it makes the situation look far worse than it is. People always go on about their lack of third party support, but really when has Nintendo ever been about third party games? I for one have only ever bought Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles, third party games on their consoles just does not interest me in the slightest, even if they're highly reviewed.... I just do not care. It is the same for every single person I know who has ever owned a Nintendo console, you're only interested in their products.

And you and the people you know are the exception to the rule. Yes, of course you want to play Nintendo games on the Nintendo console. But wanting that isn't excluding you from also wanting third party games. Do you not want to play GTAV? Do you not want to play Call of Duty? Do you not want to play The Witcher 3? Do you not want to play Dark Souls II? It's completely fine if you do not, but you have to understand that many people do want to play at least one of those. They either can't on the Wii U, or it is a horribly performing version of it.

I'm a PC gamer and I own an Xbox One and PS4, yet there is nothing on either platform that excites me, I cannot name a single game for the PS4 that I care about that is exclusive. The Xbox One has Gears of War, Halo and Forza, but tbh the last Gears of War I liked was the first one on PC, Halo I haven't cared about since the first one and Forza needs to improve their menu design badly. When I think about Sony... like what is their identity at this point? Apart from MGS4 I just couldn't give a shit about the PS3, Socom should have been a big highlight, but they failed to deliver on that. Sony was always about Third Party, they lost their crown with the PS3...

Again, you are the exception to the rule. Most people buy a console to play all their games on. Some have one additional console, but that's really about it. I own 360, PS3, PS4, XO, 3DS, Vita, good PC myself. But I am probably among the 1-2% that do. The only argument for a Wii U is the prospect of Nintendo games. And I say prospect, because they haven't even made a game for all the core franchises yet. I like Nintendo games, but honestly, if I had to limit myself to 2 consoles/PC, which will be the case (if that) for most people, I'd go with PC and PS4 probably. The prospect of true next gen exclusive PS4 titles excite me much more than that of the current Nintendo ones.

For me when I look at the Wii U.. Pikmin 3, WW HD, Super Mario 3D world and the upcoming MK8 and SSB game I can already think of way more games I care about that Xbox One and PS4 combined. All Nintendo have to do is show Zelda, show the first proper fully 3D Mario and then prove they can create new IPs again and they have my money!

Speaking of which, you just finished saying that you buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. This thread is called 'I really don't get the Wii U hate', and then you post this. I'm sure you get it by now? Yes, you are correct: people do buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games... and where are they? Of course there have been a couple, but what will get people's attention is the next Zelda. The next 'real' (I'm not dismissing Mario World, but many people just want a full fledged 3D Mario game) Mario. Where on earth is Metroid? Prime was one of the best games on the GameCube. Both in critical reception and sales. Of course it didn't perform as well as a Mario or Zelda, but it was up there. It didn't work on the Wii, but it can work very well on the Wii U. Where is Super Smash Bros? Mario Kart? Yes, they are in development or nearing release, but the Wii U has been released over two years ago. I'll reiterate: People want to play Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles. And they are barely coming out. It takes so long. This is what the problem is and why the Wii U gets hate. Nintendo seems disconnected from the core audience. Metroid should be a thing. It should've been nearly released. Zelda should've been released already, if not soon. And I'll bet you'll see more sales when Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart will be released. Nintendo is just slow and doesn't deliver (timely) what people want. And I say again: people want Nintendo games. And they are barely coming out. Of course there is hate.

If I'm going to play third party games I will choose PC these days, the PS4 and Xbox One are basically just under powered PCs. So far I've not seen either of them perform and tbh it looks like we'll have nothing for the rest of 2014. Nintendo had their rough post launch year with the Wii U, this is the year they show us why it is worth it, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. The 3DS had the same post launch rough year, it was only 2013 when the 3DS actually became worthwhile and 2014 is that year for the Wii U.

The only thing I wish'd Nintendo would do is sort out their stupid account stuff and how purchases are console bound.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think the WiiU is getting a lot of hate to be honest, rather it hasn't seen a lot of success for a lack of a better term. If anything, I see a lot more "hate" thrown towards the Xbox than the WiiU.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- The fairer statement is that no one is talking about it. When any show I listen to talks about next gen/current gen they don't even mention the Wii U. If they do it's to say something like "Well, I guess technically current gen includes the Wii U." It's not hate, it's indifference.

- There are a few types of people who really have no interest in the system: Gamers who grew up without Nintendo, and gamers who most definitely grew up with Nintendo, and are tired of them recycling the same franchises that were fresh 25 years ago. At some point I just decided I really didn't care to play another Mario or Zelda game. There are a lot of other people like me.

- It's a death spiral. Lack of sales is quickly followed by a lack of 3rd party support. EA went from talking a big game about their presence on the WiiU to canceling a bunch of games. This is exacerbated by the gamepad. Comapnies don't want to have to jump through hoops to dream up some additional content for that screen when no one is going to by the game anyway. It's easier to just cancel that version and save yourself the financial risk.

- Nintendo has made a lot of strange decisions in regards to what franchises they develop on the 3DS vs Wii U. It's mind-boggling that they didnt' start development on a WiiU Pokeman game that was a Skylanders ripoff the second they saw it. I know i'm not the only one who said someting like "Holy shit, if this was Pokemon it'd be the biggest money maker ever" the second they saw Skylanders a few years back. But they keep clinging to some weird ideal that Pokemon be a handheld only game.

- Other stuff

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I don't think people hate the WiiU. I think people were saying some pretty silly things though when it first came out. the reality of the hardware and the industry is just taking hold finally. i'm sure they'll limp it along with some rehashed first party stuff. nintendo's next console move is going to be very interesting though.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bigsocrates

I considered buying a Wii U when they first came out. Even ordered one at one point and then canceled the order. I still don't have one and ultimately that comes down to a few things

1) Not enough games. Other than ports there's only one game every few months that's even interesting. Since I don't want to play all of the interesting games that leaves me with a very slim library I'm interested in.

2) Feel burned by the Wii. I got a Wii when they were still hard to find and then beyond Wii Sports I barely used it, and when I did use it it was for Virtual Console stuff. Wii games just didn't do it for me.

3) Nintendo's backwards anti-consumer policies. Why doesn't Nintendo have a unitary account all your digital stuff is tied to like Sony and Microsoft? Why when a Wii U or 3DS release of a Virtual Console game I bought for the Wii comes out don't I get automatic or at least discounted access? Why does the online friend system still suck? Why is the HD only 32 gigs, making the development of a digital library impossible?

I want to want a Wii U but I just don't.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I bought my Wii U for Bayonetta 2, nothing else on the console interests me. I am tired of Nintendo and it's franchises(except Punch Out).

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By agentboolen

@scaramoosh: I agree that the press can make the system look dead, so you have a point there. For me I'm a Nintendo fan and really like to buy it but I just feel like there asking for to much for it. Basically it seems in line with the ps3 and xbox 360, and those machines give more value for there systems.

$300 for a 32 gig system is not up to today's standards. I do feel like there controller is probably bring the price up, which makes me wonder how much cheaper can they charge with out the controller, besides I really just want the pro controller.

For 3rd party support, back in the nes days Nintendo was the system to bring games out on, even the SNES had 3rd parties interest. The fact is the N64 lost there support because of the high priced cartridge, Nintendo tried to make the GameCube more appealing to 3rd parties but the ps2 was such a dominate force. The fact is Nintendo kind of ditch 3rd parties somewhere around the 1st Wii system, there was support but they were usually bad games that didn't sell and most 3rd parties didn't think it was worth investing in the Wii... Maybe if the N64 wasn't a cartridge based system maybe this would have never happened, for allot of gamers Nintendo systems have been a disappointment since the N64 and on.

Can Nintendo ever rebound? Probably not, eventually they'll probably go 3rd party and more gamers will be able to enjoy there games which will be a big win for them. The fact is they'll never be able to compete with Sony and Microsoft when building systems, I'm sure both of those companies have more connections with parts manufactures.

For Sony not having any good games that's your opinion. For me the God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Little Big Planet and Motorstorm series have held my attention, just as much as Nintendo's series. Not to mention some might even get tired of Nintendo always bringing out the same series out on every new system, there starting to wash and repeat a little much for some. Some might even think that there more about gimmicky game designs then creative new games. Gimmicks can only get you so far, sure Wiis motion controls sold millions but Wii U's touch screen controller might be killing the machine in the end imo.

And let's be honest motion controls sold because lots of gamers where expecting so much, but 99.9% of people were just disappointed with them in the end. Nintendo's motion controls feel so bad that I'd wish I could play games like Mario galaxy with out them, and worse part is that they have just given us equally bad motion controls on both Sony's and Microsoft's systems. Will the motion controls ever die, does Sony have any real interest in the move for the ps4, will Microsoft eventually put a fork in Kinect, do they just bring these motion controls out for a small small knitch group of people that might not even exist? Will motion controls ever go away? Your guess is as good as mine, but I think we all hate these motion controls.

For me I only found gyroscoped steering to be the only good to come out of motion controls. It seemed to work quite good for steering when in Mario Kart or in Forza 4 with Microsoft's speed wheel. I do hope motion controls fade away but I do hope Gyroscope steering stays. I'm currently hoping for Gyroscope steering wheels for both ps4 and xbox one, so for me it seems like the less appreciated feature from these horrible motion controls.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main problem with the WiiU is that pretty much every game Nintendo has released and announced are all sequels to games I was already playing at least ten years ago. The constant nostalgia plays just seem really boring and kinda desperate to me. The only games that break that rule are the Platinum games which I am personally not a fan of ( though I would snap buy a WiiU for Vanquish 2). I need something new to excite me, and there just isn't anything there.

Bombanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bombanana

Great thread. I don´t get it either. i am playing games since they have been invented really - on almost all the platforms we had since the 80´s. I just love games in general but i admit that i have a soft spot for Nintendo games. I wasn´t a huge fan of the Wii though and i was very sceptical about the WiiU too but now, i think that it´s one of the most enjoyable systems Nintendo has ever made and their current software is better than ever before. They really nail it recently. It´s crazy.

I am personally not excited about the Xbox One or the PS4 yet. I bought a PS4 at launch but i didn´t enjoy it much. I traded it in already. At the moment i game on the PC, WiiU and the 3DS and for me, this is perfect right now. We´ll see what happens. A PS4 exclusive Demons Souls will probably make me buy a PS4 at some point :) I am a huge Halo fan but with Bungie going multiplat and a rumored PC release for Destiny, i think i´ll wait this out a little more. I did not enjoy Halo 4 much tbh. But back to the WiiU...

The WiiU is an exciting concept and it has great games too. I can´t understand why the mainstream games media and many dedicated gamers do not fall in love with the system. As a videogame console it is amazing.

I also can´t understand the neverending: "Nintendo are so backwards and outdated" criticism. Imo the WiiU is a very modern and innovative concept really. Miiverse is fantastic too and in fact makes the PSN and XBL community features look like ancient services to me in some ways. I mean i can´t draw a masterchief wielding a gears of war chainsaw? peeew: How outdated. Unacceptable to me now. I mean, seriously.

Sure, Nintendo need to fix their account issues. Cross buy bewtween 3ds and WiiU, especially for VC must be on top of their priority list - unified accounts in general - that stuff is just crazy. Untolerable...but it looks like they are finally really working on that now. The pricing for the VC games is alright in my opinion and if they will really implement the DS as well soon, it´ll be crazy good. Overall Nintendo have come a long way and there are a lot of things that Nintendo has done just right with the 3ds and the WiiU, things that make the system feel much more next gen to me than the so called next gen machines. I think that Iwata did a lot of great moves for Nintendos future despite struggling WiiU sales. i do believe that in the long run Nintendo will really benefit from these steps he made, that the risks will pay off, that trying to differentiate more rather than to adapt to the competition will turn out to be the right move in the longer run and i really wish that games Journos would finally realise that as well and start writing about it.

The WiiU is a combination of old and new and it´s an exciting and refreshing new concept that really works. I also do believe that the dual screen gaming in combination with Miiverse was a very clever thing to do. It works and it will pay off for Nintendo in the long run, with their next system which i expect to be a dual screen handheld/ homeconsole hybrid with advanced Miiverse functionality. Even with a struggling WiiU i don´t think that the WiiU was a mistake at all. it was a logical, necessary step to make for Nintendos future.

Gamers shouldn´t believe all the internet drama, the narrow minded, short sighted focus on only sales sales sales and buy into a WiiU and enjoy some good old console gaming that feels superfresh too - that´s a great achievement...at least in my book.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Doom and gloom = ratings. Twenty-four hour news networks drum up controversy between parties and game websites predict the death of platforms/genres/gaming in general. It's the video game equivalent of "if it bleeds it leads". Then, some of them more impressionable members of the gaming community echo it in forums across the internet. Worry not, my broduski. Just stop listening to the Wii u duum and gluum.

No just kidding. The Wii u is crappy and dead! EVERYONE PANIC!!!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sinusoidal

I don't really see any WiiU hate. Mostly indifference. Which I can understand. In its 1.5 years of life, there are exactly two games I'm vaguely interested in playing on it. That kind of support isn't going to sell me a console. According to the sales numbers, I'm not alone.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I want to make this abundantly clear. There is a difference between not understanding a point of view, and disagreeing with it.

For instance, I love my WiiU; however, I am totally aware of all the issues with it (name, frequency of content, menu system, the lack of adventurous design, to very limited use of the gamepad, etc...). I disagree with the prognosis though that the console's problems retract from its strengths to the point of making it a bad console. I agree with the prediction, though, that if Nintendo doesn't work incredibly hard at utilizing the gamepad, the console will not succeed. They can bring it back and make it successful, but they haven't done enough yet to make that possible.

It's the reason why the announcement of the NFC integration they are planning to do is so promising - it shows that they need to utilize the features of the gamepad and are trying to do so (since their original pitch wasn't that they would use the NFC chip, but it was put there so others - mostly Ubisoft - could use it).

They did enough for me to get the console, and they are enough for me in the forseeable (not including things they've only implied but not seen) future. But they need to do more to change the overall public perception.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

3) Nintendo's backwards anti-consumer policies. Why doesn't Nintendo have a unitary account all your digital stuff is tied to like Sony and Microsoft? Why when a Wii U or 3DS release of a Virtual Console game I bought for the Wii comes out don't I get automatic or at least discounted access? Why does the online friend system still suck? Why is the HD only 32 gigs, making the development of a digital library impossible?

I want to want a Wii U but I just don't.

They do exactly this for virtual console games you've already purchased on Wii. It's not perfect, and there's certainly room for improvement. Paying $2 to upgrade Super Metroid to the Wii U version is a step in the right direction. Nintendo has now unified your account balance between Wii U and 3DS, but I would also like to see a world where they take Sony's cross-buy/play approach.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I find it to be in the exact same, maybe worse, position that the Wii was in my gameplay habits; it does not exist. I own a WiiU, the Zelda Wind Waker edition, and it just sits there. I never have a good reason to turn it on and there aren't better options for me to play anything on the WiiU opposed to my PS3 or PS4.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I just played mine for the first time in months. Know what hot game got me to go back to it? NES Castlevania on Virtual Console...

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Devil240Z

does a complete lack of interest count as hate? I haven't played one or even seen one up close but nothing I have seen has made me want to.

But after my experience with the first wii (playing a ton of wii bowling and then not much else) I'm not suprised at my level of interest.

at least the friggen wii u is HD, thats one of the main reasons I didn't play my wii cause my "tv" didn't support SD resolutions.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So you play everything on the PC?

Yet you also spend large amounts of money to buy the brand new Xbox One and PS4?

.... but you don't think there's anything to play on them and won't be until 2015 at the earliest?

.... and you think the Wii U has more games that you want to play now and in the future but you don't own one of them?

HMMMM.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Anund

The problem with the Wii U, for me, is that I haven't cared about a single Nintendo game since I sold my SNES. Not even one.

shozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shozo

just reporting doom and gloom on the console without any real basis

• Nintendo just reported a loss of $456 million.
  • Their projected world wide sales were $9 they only hit $5.6
  • Projected sales of the WiiU were 9 million and they hit less than a third of that goal.
  • Nintendo is trying new sales models including free-to-play & season passes.

There is a real basis for concern. Even the Nintendo investors are afraid of casual players that are being consumed by the mobile market. That's why we're seeing Mario Kart TV.

It just feels like the news media is talking about the doom & or gloom because the financial loss is a news story that will be picked up by news sites. Forbes, Business Weekly and other sites will only talk about games when there is a business story at the core. And they would do the same if business is good.

Uppercaseccc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like now more than ever a lot of people who grew up with Nintendo are getting tired of the core Nintendo experience, and don't see Nintendo games alone. I am one of those people (despite being 20) I grew up with a NES in my home, my grandparents house, and my great grandparents trailer on the beach, my first console I purchased was a Gamecube, I have a 64 , a DS, a 3DS, and a launch Wii because I was hyped for the Wii. But I got burned on the Wii because there went any game being made on that console I cared about so I got a 360 and loved that because I got exposed to a wide world of games and a variety of games I haven't experienced before and so I became tired on Nintendo. The problem with the WiiU is the fact that there aren't going to be games on it and the games that are on it are just better version of games you've played before (some literally high windwaker) and that there won't be a variety there is sad and makes the WiiU seem like not really a good purchase. And ya you can say the same thing about COD or any other property that transcending generations that are coming for the thePS 4 and the one. But the thing about the PS4, the one that I cant about the WiiU is that even though I don't know the games right now there are games I definitely want to play there which will be there in the future. Also Nintendo is not doing a good job at all trying to make the WiiU look appealing to people outside of their core audience who most likely already bought a WiiU, which is a problem because that means the WiiU won't sell ever because the people who want one have one and the people who don't see no reason to get one. Well that my thoughts anyway, also don't have a PS4 or a one right now because I've got no money and my PC is not that great but if I did have the money I would get a PS4 mainly because I never really liked playing games on a PC vs a console.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real problem with the Wii U was its name. Casual gamers who just owned a Wii didn't know it was different.

Honestly, the Wii U is my favorite current-gen system. It has best average of game quality, and it's just well put together overall. It almost always has one or two really good games a month, it's just those are the only games that come out that month.

The name was one thing but thinking that casual gamers who picked up a wii just for a couple of party games were going to buy a new console was a bigger problem.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By EXTomar

You mistake ignoring and disinterest for hate. Many have moved on due to getting tired of waiting where another promise of another focused effort and another game isn't going to work (that well).

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I don't think there's a lot of hate for the Wii U, but it's in the interests of gamers for the company to switch to a software-based model, as it would represent a smaller drain on their wallets to have to buy fewer consoles. So that may be while people are so happy to root for its poor sales numbers.

Bombanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bombanana

Thing is, i really really cannot see what´s exciting about Assassins Creed, Far Cry, Battlefield, Bioshock, COD, even Watchdogs, Second Son, Knack, Evil Within, Titanfall...All this stuff feels to me like i have played those games in a different coat a million times over and over again. While Nintendo recycle their IP´s they reinvent the gameplay within their IP´s and make them feel all new again. It´s a different approach in gamedesign but it´s not lazy design at all. People who are saying that they just keep releasing updated versions of the same games haven´t played these newer games i think because i am often impressed about how well they redesign their games and make them feel new. On Sony and Microsoft platforms you might see more new IP´s, sure but these new IP´s very often recycle gameplay elements from other franchises. If anything i am getting tired of the average triple A third party game or even the next Uncharted or Halo game - It all feels the same to me. Link between Worlds felt like a fresh game to me though, Super Mario 3D world as well. Mario Galaxy and NSMB - completely different - then there´s Paper Mario too. Metroid other M or Prime, so different to the classic Metroid games, Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword, i could go on forever. These are all new games using existing, well known characters...you know, that´s Nintendo. Games that made me excited besides some Wiiu and 3DS games recently have been the Souls games and DayZ and War of the Vikings, as well as some Indies. To me personally, the X1 and PS4 are in a crisis. I know, that´s not represented by the sales, it´s just me, as a lifelong gamer, getting bored with what these systems have on offer.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By Corevi

Not hate in the slightest, just apathy. The only games on the console I want to play are Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 and X. There's still no new Zelda, Kirby or Metroid game for the system which are the only Nintendo IPs I care about. It not getting any new multiplatform games isn't helping either.

Party

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hurgh. Everyone talking about the next great Nintendo game whether it be a mario or a zelda or a metroid or a whatever depresses me. When is the last time Nintendo introduced a new IP as a major release?