thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thomasriis1987

Hi everybody!  

It's a shame that RE has become a fun rather than scary game. Sometimes it's just like playing Dead Rising.
It's a shame that RE has become a fun rather than scary game. Sometimes it's just like playing Dead Rising.
Say, how come that (almost) all horror game developers have become convinced that fast pace encounters with hundreds of zombies/monsters is scary? I mean, I don't find stuff scary when it's being presented over and over again, in the hundreds, with 200+ ammo.... opposed to when you have to look out for every single corner, encounters only a few enemies and has 1 clip and a knife left. 
It's like they followed the rest of the gaming industry, where everyone has to be nursed through the experience and they don't want to challenge the gamers too much in fear of it becoming a niche game. - Yeah! Those kinds of games can be fun, but scary? No way, I say! 
Let's just take the obvious as an example: Resident Evil. 
I nearly pissed my pants when I was a child playing the first of the series on my old PC. I know, I know - things were different back then, and graphics weren't that important (or developed), but there was something about the atmosphere and the locked camera-angels which was scary as hell! I could go on and on, but the fact is that an action/horror isn't a survival/horror, and those don’t exist anymore... (Please enlighten me). 
The best thing that happened in years for the RE series, was the remake of the original on the GameCube, dammit, why couldn't there be a remake of the sequel too? Well, we can only hope i suppose. 

All in all, I don't like the trend... For things to be scary you need atmosphere, few but deadly monsters, preferable locked camera-angles and limited ammo and health.  - You guys might say; "turn dead space up to Hard", but you know it's not the same... not at all. You always end up feeling that it was scary at the beginning, but repetitive towards the end.  
Maybe it isn't possible at all to recreate that kind of games, maybe those times has passed and the game industry has spun itself into a web where there is a textbook for making games, a template even.

I might just be nostalgic today, but I need someone to reinvent the genre, or maybe just uninvent it. 

Have a fantastic day, I love you all! (Insert: brain hungry zombies, sexually frustrated monsters and a red ball jumping down the stairs)        
thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By thomasriis1987

Hi everybody!  

Say, how come that (almost) all horror game developers have become convinced that fast pace encounters with hundreds of zombies/monsters is scary? I mean, I don't find stuff scary when it's being presented over and over again, in the hundreds, with 200+ ammo.... opposed to when you have to look out for every single corner, encounters only a few enemies and has 1 clip and a knife left. 
It's like they followed the rest of the gaming industry, where everyone has to be nursed through the experience and they don't want to challenge the gamers too much in fear of it becoming a niche game. - Yeah! Those kinds of games can be fun, but scary? No way, I say! 
Let's just take the obvious as an example: Resident Evil. 
I nearly pissed my pants when I was a child playing the first of the series on my old PC. I know, I know - things were different back then, and graphics weren't that important (or developed), but there was something about the atmosphere and the locked camera-angels which was scary as hell! I could go on and on, but the fact is that an action/horror isn't a survival/horror, and those don’t exist anymore... (Please enlighten me). 
The best thing that happened in years for the RE series, was the remake of the original on the GameCube, dammit, why couldn't there be a remake of the sequel too? Well, we can only hope i suppose. 

All in all, I don't like the trend... For things to be scary you need atmosphere, few but deadly monsters, preferable locked camera-angles and limited ammo and health.  - You guys might say; "turn dead space up to Hard", but you know it's not the same... not at all. You always end up feeling that it was scary at the beginning, but repetitive towards the end.  
Maybe it isn't possible at all to recreate that kind of games, maybe those times has passed and the game industry has spun itself into a web where there is a textbook for making games, a template even.

I might just be nostalgic today, but I need someone to reinvent the genre, or maybe just uninvent it. 

Have a fantastic day, I love you all! (Insert: brain hungry zombies, sexually frustrated monsters and a red ball jumping down the stairs)        
galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#2  Edited By galiant

Did you try Silent Hill 2? Still some of the best atmosphere I've ever experienced, even with outdated graphics. It's got a very slow pace, though.

FrankWeidner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By FrankWeidner

All hyperbolic thread titles SUCK! 

Seriously, if you want people to read your thread, don't be so childish in your subject line.

thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thomasriis1987
@Galiant:
Dude, yes! never got through the whole game, but yes, it was actually pretty good, - it was hard as hell as far as i remember. THe last of the series that i fully enjoyed
mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mattbosten
@Galiant said:

" Did you try Silent Hill 2? Still some of the best atmosphere I've ever experienced, even with outdated graphics. It's got a very slow pace, though. "

Was going to post this. Silent Hill 2 is probably the greatest 'horror' game I've played. The horror game genre does seem to be dead now though, developers prefer to make 3rd person action/adventure games. 
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@thomasriis1987: You should definitely keep an eye out for Asylum.
clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By clarke0
Amnesia and the Penumbra games are both good examples of recent survival horror games. They're both made by the same developer. So yeah, check that shit out.
thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By thomasriis1987
@mylifeforAiur:
Thanks for the heads up! - This looks really interesting, i played through scratched, awesome!   

@clarke0: 
I got through Amnesia, cool game! i actually liked it alot, the thing with 1 monster chasing you, shit, THAT was scary!... hope they will make more like that, but something about the game was off too... maby the budget. BUT! I loved it, but i think, only because there is really nothing like it out there    
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder

I, for one, welcome our new Frictional overlords.

Also, the only thing scary about fixed camera angles is the fact that anyone could possibly believe it's a good idea.

@mylifeforAiur:

" @thomasriis1987: You should definitely keep an eye out for Asylum. "

Have you played scratches? If so, what did you think? I was thinking about playing it but I've heard all sorts of mixed things about it.
thomasriis1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thomasriis1987
@BeachThunder:
I played it some years ago. It was not THAT scary, but it was good and it had a good atmosphere. 
When it was done I was like... well was that it?, but a good experience, no doubt
Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I always thought Silent Hill 3 was scarier than Silent Hill 2.  I may be alone in that opinion.  Still, if you want horror games, and you aren't afraid to go to older ones, pick up the fatal frame series.  Playing through the first one gave me the same feeling I hadn't had since the first Resident Evil- wishing that instead of continuing the story I could just turn and run the hell out of the mansion.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By McGhee

The most scared I've been in a game in a long time was Demon's Souls. Even the smallest enemies can easily kill you if you're not careful, and the consequences from death can be extremely high. The only way to approach a new area is to inch your way forward, shield held in front of you. Almost all of the levels were dark and oppressive. There is one enemy that is a huge ball of corpses that shoots lasers at you. When I came around the corner and saw that thing writhing in the room it scared the shit out of me. Also, I hate those fucking squid head wizard guys with the bells and the magic. What the fuck?

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By BombKareshi

Let me use this opportunity to mention Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth again. It only gets weird near the end of the game where you get like a lightning gun or some shit.

Oh, and have you ever checked out Alone In The Dark? It's got plenty of running from monsters... and awkward camera angles to boot.

@BeachThunder said:

" Also, the only thing scary about fixed camera angles is the fact that anyone could possibly believe it's a good idea. "
Well said.
fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fraser
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" The most scared I've been in a game in a long time was Demon's Souls."
This.

But also with regard to your point about the repitition in titles like Dead Space. I totally agree with you but I think it's also there in the older Silent Hill/Resi games only with puzzle solving instead of action, which I suppose you could deem more worthwhile and interesting.

The scariest 'horror' game I've played of the recent generation is Siren Blood Curse but ony for one level. I think the game is average at best on the whole, but there's a level in which you play as a young girl with nothing but a torch. You start off at the top of a zombie-hospital and have to get to the bottom. Scary as fuck.
LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By LackingSaint
@samusaran253 said:
" Horror games started to suck once RE4 came out, which was a horrible game. "
Resident Evil 4 was amazing, it's just that anything that's tried to mimic anything about it has been awful.
Jozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jozo
@LackingSaint said:
" @samusaran253 said:
" Horror games started to suck once RE4 came out, which was a horrible game. "
Resident Evil 4 was amazing, it's just that anything that's tried to mimic anything about it has been awful. "
I agree, Resident Evil 4 was fantastic. All though I wouldn't really think of it as a horror game, it had some pretty tense moments.
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By carlthenimrod

Are Resident Evil games less scarey or did you just get older? I was scared of the original RE on PSX but the REmake on GC didn't scare me all that much. Of course, I enjoyed REmake thoroughly regardless, but I was much older at the time and not as easily scared.

Edit: One other thing I'll throw out there is that RE needs new characters and a new story. It is hard to be scared when playing as Chris or Leon because those motherfuckers have already seen a ton of shit and you feel super empowered at that point. So in order to make it more scarey they need to put you in the shoes of someone who doesn't look like he has hit 70 home-runs for the San Francisco Giants.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Contro

Revelations looks like it's a return to form.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Games that are designed to become unwinnable don't interest me anymore.  If you need to resort to broken mechanics to push your thematic elements, you need to try again.

And making the player character weak is actually the worst thing you can do.  The more often I see the game over screen, the more often I'm redoing checkpoints and seeing the same dog jump through the same window, the less scared I am.  The ideal is to keep the player character alive but low on options, not dead or incapable of completing the game.

No Caption Provided
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By Icemael
@BeachThunder said:
" Also, the only thing scary about fixed camera angles is the fact that anyone could possibly believe it's a good idea. "
They're great when used properly. 

Problem is, they practically never are. The only horror games I've played that have used them well are the Project Zero games. Silent Hill, Resident Evil and all the others would be better off with player-controlled camera angles.
Jozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jozo
@Icemael said:
" @BeachThunder said:
They're great when used properly. Problem is, they practically never are. The only horror games I've played that have used them well are the Project Zero games. Silent Hill, Resident Evil and all the others would be better off with player-controlled camera angles. "
It does become a problem when you cannot shoot the enemy because you can't see where it is, even though it's walking down a narrow corridor right in front of your character. I think when used right, fixed camera angles can really help give a cinematic feel. They are not necessary for horror though.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#22  Edited By Icemael
@Jozo: I have never played a scary game without set camera angles.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wrighteous86
@thomasriis1987:  I would love a modern horror game where you have no weapons, you just have to use the environment to avoid monsters or enemies.  I think I heard that Amnesia was like that, and maybe the Clock Tower series.    
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories attempted this, you're defenseless and have to run from the enemies, but those are scripted events so you feel safe until they pop up.  I didn't find that game scary at all, I just really loved the "personality test" that the game became. 

One of the best horror moments I ever experienced was in Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth.  It's a first-person shooter, but the weapons are realistically inaccurate, take a long time to reload, and there is a scarcity of ammo, but there's a point where you have no weapons and are being chased and must maneuver through the environment, not sure where to go or what to do, and just do whatever you can to slow down your pursuers.  If there are any people interested in a horror game that can suffer a little bit of jank, I'd recommend that game to them.  Amnesia also seems pretty hot.
QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By QuistisTrepe

This thread topic seems pretty misguided and one-dimensional, but here's my .02. The better horror games were the ones that had their own identity and didn't borrow from what we've already played through. Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, and yes, Dead Space distinguished themselves in this regard. They didn't try to be Resident Evil, they weren't necessarily original, and some of them even had spots of slightly busted gameplay, but those other series just brought something different into the horror game genre and carved out their own respective places.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By CL60

Am I the only one that wants a zombie game that isn't batshit insane like Dead Rising and is like the old RE games, but without a fixed camera, maybe FPS, that is actually scary? Zombies may be getting old at this point. But I still really want a Zombie game that is scary, and is not just ridiculous like Dead Rising, or fast paced action like Left 4 Dead.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Akeldama

I can't help but shake my head at almost every post in this thread. Survival Horror is dying.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wrighteous86
@CL60: I was really excited about Resident Evil Outbreak when it was first announced, because I thought it was going to be like Night of the Living Dead: The Video Game. I thought that the game was going to revolve around survivors working together to look for supplies and barricade a safe-haven that would be tested on a regular basis. I thought you could get bitten and turn into a zombie, and you could keep the information hidden. That's what I want from a zombie game. It'd be hard to design well, but I want a game where you're all but helpless against the zombie hoards, and you have to scavenge and try to cooperate to survive, but that trust and betrayal would play a big part as well. 

Also, the scariest enemy I've ever seen in a video game is Twin Victims from Silent Hill 4: The Room. 

No Caption Provided
When they spot you, they freeze and point at you, whispering "Receiver" over-and-over-and-over. They keep pointing at you as you move around the room, and don't attack until you get too close to them or show aggression towards them. They scare the hell out of me, because once you piss them off, they can move around on those huge arms fast as shit and are strong to boot. When you kill them, they sound like a crying little kid. Nightmare fuel.
Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fenixrevolution

It is easy to dislike horror games now, but I've began accounting it to the same reason I dislike professional wrestling; I grew up. When I was a kid, Silent Hill and Resident Evil were the kings of this genre, in my heart anyway. Silent Hill was at that time, the most terrifying game I had ever played and even today, I still get the creeps playing it, but I no longer lose sleep over it. Resident Evil though, is to this day my favorite game and while it never held any horror for me, it nailed the survival aspect. If you went through wasting everything in your path, you weren't making it to the guardhouse, so you had to think of ways to dodge zombies, or toss a GameShark in first. Now, if we skip forward to present times, there are a lot of games that can be classified under the horror genre, but very few to none of them would be scary.  Resident Evil as a franchise has broken my heart, Silent Hill is more or less dead to me. I'm not sure what happened, but horror is the saddest genre to look back at. What it was and what it has come to be, it seems like a somewhat logical progression, but a few things got skewed.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#30  Edited By BeachThunder
@Wrighteous86: You sir really must pick up Penumbra and Amnesia, stat! They're exactly the kind of games you would be interested in. Also, DCOTE, had a lot of jank, not just a little =( There were several game breaking bugs (well, at least, the PC version), heaps of glitches and lots of generally poorly designed stuff. There were some really great, creepy parts though =D
golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By golguin

Try some Fatal Frame II or III. Till this day they are the only games to have made me scream at something DURING THE DAY. It wasn't even an in game scene or anything. I just happened to be looking through my camera lens and a random ghost type I had never seen before spawned right in front of the lens.

The Silent Hill series is also good. I played SH3, SH4, and SH: Shattered Memories and can vouch for the three, but SH4 was the weakest.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By wrighteous86
@BeachThunder: I'm definitely interested in those two games and will probably pick them up soon.  Especially Amnesia, after hearing Dave's impressions. 

It's been a while, but yeah, Dark Corners had a lot of jank.  I do think it's worth it to see some of the early parts of that game, though.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iam3green

i agree, horror games aren't scary anymore. resident evil 4 tried to be scary but i didn't feel scared, i just felt pressured. there were times where i ran out of ammo so i panicked and felt pressured of what to do. there were also times where they made it easy to kill a boss. the two el egonte's were easy to kill. all you had to do was run shoot one run shoot, and then there was a zip line. shoot zip line shoot zip line.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By wrighteous86
@iam3green said:
" i agree, horror games aren't scary anymore. resident evil 4 tried to be scary but i didn't feel scared, i just felt pressured. there were times where i ran out of ammo so i panicked and felt pressured of what to do. there were also times where they made it easy to kill a boss. the two el egonte's were easy to kill. all you had to do was run shoot one run shoot, and then there was a zip line. shoot zip line shoot zip line. "

I'm sorry, not to to nitpick, but you spelling El Gigante like that makes me envision two giant Egons from Ghostbusters tearing shit up.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iam3green
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @iam3green said:
" i agree, horror games aren't scary anymore. resident evil 4 tried to be scary but i didn't feel scared, i just felt pressured. there were times where i ran out of ammo so i panicked and felt pressured of what to do. there were also times where they made it easy to kill a boss. the two el egonte's were easy to kill. all you had to do was run shoot one run shoot, and then there was a zip line. shoot zip line shoot zip line. "
I'm sorry, not to to nitpick, but you spelling El Gigante like that makes me envision two giant Egons from Ghostbusters tearing shit up. "
sorry, i don't really remember what the games of the them were. i tried spelling the best i could from memory.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By wrighteous86
@iam3green: Oh I don't actually care, I'm just thanking you for that mental image.
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By cornbredx

Resident Evil and Dead Space are not Survival Horror games. Maybe people see them that way, and maybe to someone playing one of these for the first time with a low tolerance for gore and scares may think so, but the older of us here (i'd wager) would not see them this way.

For me at least RE and Dead Space are solid action games (well dead space is, i haven't played resident evil since Resident Evil 2- which was scary at the time but i hear and have seen in videos the franchise seems more action oriented now). Dead space has some horrifying ideas and a creepy atmosphere but nothing about the game is particularly scary. As a action game in space, though, it's pretty solid.

I think games like Amnesia, Penumbra, Silent Hill 2, the original F.E.A.R, Call of Cthulhu, the original Bio Shock, System Shock, Sanitarium (a highly under rated adventure game masterpiece), S.T.A.L.K.E.R shadow of chernobyl, Phantasmagoria, 7th Guest, and in a lot of ways the original Myst are good examples of scary games. In my opinion most of them hold up still (except maybe the FMV ones and some other older ones I didn't mention).

Frictional made this comment about how it seems to be more difficult to get people to buy scary games. I think this has a lot to do with why the mainstream scary games aren't all that scary. On top of that it probably helps to sell you're game if it's empowering, and most horror does not adapt well to that at all (as the best horror is helpless and alone as proven by Frictional). I do believe you can use empowerment and still tell a freaky story (F.E.A.R. being the highly debated one). I guess it's all in how the story is told, and the tone is set; although when it comes to empowerment the longer you are left to confront your fear the less likely you are to be afraid anymore.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wrighteous86
@CornBREDX: I consider games like RE4 and Dead Space to be "survival action".  It's obvious that they have a lot of roots in the "survival horror" genre, and the emphasis on resource management and crowd management emphasizes the "survival" aspects along with the feeling of dread, but the games have pretty clearly sloughed off the feeling of helplessness that horror requires with a more action-heavy focus.
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By cornbredx
@Wrighteous86:  Fair enough, the survival part may be more capably given then the horror part. I like that actually- "survival action". Never heard that before, has a nice ring to it. I think I will stick with that =)

On that note, I wanted to mention I really like the psychological horror stuff (like Amnesia, Silent Hill 2, in some ways the newer Silent Hill: Shattered Memories just as examples) and I hope they expound on these ideas more. I don't know how well shattered memories did (i honestly haven't played it, i just watched a let's play of it and it seems pretty decent), but this type of game play is something that hasn't been really touched on that much and has always been something I found intriguing. Generally, it's my favorite type of horror- when done well. To often, though, when they try to do it they end up copying System Shock which is ok but needs to be changed up from time to time (see Dead Space as a good example of overplaying that formula).
Jozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jozo
@Icemael: It's been mentioned a few times, but I recommend Amnesia: The Dark Decent, I played through it recently and it's pretty good. It has a 1st person perspective were no weapons can actually be gained, your only hope is to hide from the monsters. Pretty creepy stuff.