I really hate reviewers/personalities with gimmicks.

• 89 results
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@mcghee:

I did no such thing. I did not state the reasons why it would be awkward; you filled that much in.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#53 gamer_152  Moderator

I have to disagree on this one. While I think there are too many angry, cynical, crass (usually white) guys reviewing video games, and a lot of people affecting personalities haven't pulled it off well, I don't have a problem with the idea in itself. The word "gimmick" has become a term that people have too easily fallen back on to criticise things in recent years (see: Nintendo), but one person's "gimmick" is another person's feature, or personality, or style, or whatever. If you go out and look at a lot of great stand-up comedians you could easily just label them as "the cynical guy", "the angry guy", "the surreal guy", and so on, but if they pull it off well, it really works, and it definitely does not act as proof that they have no personality. Some game reviewers are trying to put on a bit of a show, some are trying to be earnest, and I think both can work. Heck, Jeff often opts for comedy which depicts him as the awkward/creepy guy, but I don't look at that and think "Here he goes with the gimmick again".

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Video_Game_King
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

If only reviewers had a little more baby fat, we might want to protect them.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

MY GIMMICK IS THE TRUTH.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#59  Edited By Dagbiker

I found that people that like to be in front of the camera, like to stay in front of the camera. Also. people that like to be in front of the camera like attention. The very reason why I didnt hang out with theater peopl in high school

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By Bell_End

i hate things sometimes too.

not everything.

just somethings sometimes

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@brodehouse said:

You're on the site with the crazy loud guy, the crazier louder guy, the comically unfunny guy, the pretentious dweeb, the obscure interests guy, and the Vinny.

So it's what:

Jeff Ryan Brad Patrick Drew Vinny?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

You're on the site with the crazy loud guy, the crazier louder guy, the comically unfunny guy, the pretentious dweeb, the obscure interests guy, and the Vinny.

I don't really know who any of these are, except I'm pretty sure the Vinny is Drew.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By toowalrus

@brodehouse said:

I don't really know who any of these are, except I'm pretty sure the Vinny is Drew.

Don't be stupid.

...the Vinny is Dave.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@yummylee said:

@punkxblaze said:

I just hate the five billion ANGRY VIDYA GAME DUDE guys. AVGN, Annoyed Gamer, Irate Gamer, whatever. Stop. We get it, you're super cynical and video games all suck and that's edgy and cool.

AVGN should get a pass because he practically invented the trope, or at least was one of its pioneers.

Being the first doesn't make him the good one. He's super annoying, and not in an enjoyable way.

I like the dude what uses the yellow cartoon stuffs. Only because it's not reviews, it feels like an emphatic but genuine thing, and because it's a quick and clever bit of content that is amusing beyond being harsh.

@toowalrus said:
@mordeaniischaos said:
@brodehouse said:

Don't be stupid.

...the Vinny is Dave.

...Well fuck.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Video_Game_King
LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#66  Edited By LackingSaint

I like reviewers who seem like people I could meet and say hey and they would say hey back and I would feel like I had a nice time meeting them. It's why I love basically everyone on the GiantBomb team and really don't care for Jim Sterling.

It's basically the same principle as my friend group. If i'm going to go out of my way to watch somebody's content and more importantly spend my money based on their opinions, it seems like a no-brainer that I should like them as people.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Video_Game_King
2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

@brodehouse said:

I'm not sure I can figure out who's who. Except the Vinny.

It's Jeff, right?

espm400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally I dislike anything gimmicky regardless of context, *cough Wii U *cough, and this is doubly true when it comes to watching reviews/gameplay videos. There is one exception to this however, and that would be good ole 'Yahtzee' Croshaw on Zero Punctuation. His reviews are about as one-dimensional as it gets, yet I keep coming back every week.

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes, no one should ever do anything fun or interesting >.> Conform! CONFORM! One of us! One of us! This post has made me want to see if there is anything new on the AVGN site!

MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@video_game_king: What are you, my ex? Sheesh.

@john1912 said:

Yes, no one should ever do anything fun or interesting >.> Conform! CONFORM! One of us! One of us! This post has made me want to see if there is anything new on the AVGN site!

Is picking the most obvious and over-played gimmick in the entire entertainment industry some how not conforming? Being the annoyingly angry guy to get people to pay attention to you is about as old as jokes about Adam and Eve.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#77  Edited By Vonocourt

@yummylee said:
@punkxblaze said:

I just hate the five billion ANGRY VIDYA GAME DUDE guys. AVGN, Annoyed Gamer, Irate Gamer, whatever. Stop. We get it, you're super cynical and video games all suck and that's edgy and cool.

AVGN should get a pass because he practically invented the trope, or at least was one of its pioneers.

And any hate shifted from him should go toward the Irate Gamer.

Irate Gamer: Before "ripoffs" become "inspired by."

Didn't know that guy was still going, just remember him being really stiff and unfunny. Looking at his recent work, he seems to have fallen into recurring jokes being expanded into dumb, unfunny, convoluted stories, which seems to be a necessity for these types of reviews now.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This also applies to the "I'm the reviewer with the tits" or "I'm the reviewer that licks stuff" or "I'm the reviewer that plasters galleries or bikini-shots all over the place, because video games".

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@pr1mus said:

No Caption Provided

i have no opinions on this topic. i just wanted to quote this picture :P

madpierrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man you would hate Japanese comedians than. 95% of them are nothing but horrible gimmicks. Also doesn't help that they aren't funny and don't have talent. Than again their careers seem to be very, very short so I guess all is right in the world.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sort of agree, but it works for a few. AVGN has always been entertaining to me. It might be because he doesn't play the character throughout the entire of his episodes.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By matt_f606

My new answer to "What the F is Giant Bomb?"

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I've been watching a bunch of "Angry Video Game Nerd" lately and while the "act" is certainly that at times, I still find his stuff amusing. He has also been diversifying what he does quite a bit, featuring more and more stuff that isn't in that character. His latest video was actually getting some heat in the comments for not being angry enough, but I found it all the more pleasant for it. What I've seen of "Angry Joe Show" though definitely seems forced. He was one of those folks that was super irate over Bayonetta 2 being exclusive to Wii-U despite the fact the game literally wouldn't be financed were it not for Nintendo. Just angry for the sake of being angry, logic be damned. To some extent, I've grown weary of Jim Sterling's schtick as well. "I'm crude AND angry. Why? Its what I do" So yeah, having one stock personality trait that kind of defines your coverage does get tiresome.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I would rather they actually lived up to their gimmick. That Angry Joe fellow doesn't seem very angry in his videos. What a sham.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#86  Edited By Levio

My gimmick is that I hate the Godfather movie. Man was that a boring movie! Tons of talking and the action scenes are like 10 seconds each.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is called having a personality.

Yea this. In a group of people, and in front of other people, everyone puts on a certain persona (hee. hee. hee.) Its natural, its human.

Think you're just having a bad day, bro.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@zereta said:

@funkydupe said:

It is called having a personality.

Yea this. In a group of people, and in front of other people, everyone puts on a certain persona (hee. hee. hee.) Its natural, its human.

Think you're just having a bad day, bro.

There is a difference between having a personality and having a persona. What the OP was complaining about were people who put on fake personalities in order to have a gimmick that attracts viewers. James Rolfe, better known as the Angry Video Game Nerd, is not actually a big whiny baby with an uncontrollable habit of stringing together swear words like a parody of somebody with Tourette's. He is actually INCREDIBLY kind, very relaxed and has a genuine passion for video games and film. But nobody wants to see his actual personality tell them about video games cause it would just be some dude in front of a camera saying "yeah it was pretty okay, I enjoyed this part but sometimes it was frustrating so I dunno, play it if you're bored."

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: call someone out.