Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -

So, the most revered and historied gaming franchise is most likely the Super Mario games.  Everyone played them and loves them. I however did not get to play them in my youth, and you know what I really fucking suck at them. Well I am okay at the RPG's but they are not the platformers I am talking about. I am also not talking about the 3D Marios, no I mean the old school 2D ones. I have never gotten past the level after the 1st warp zone in the 1st one. I got the the end of 2, but that is not actually a Mario game, so I won't count it. I've tried to play 3, World, and Wii with my friends, all the time dying the most and doing bad enough to be laughed at. I feel very ashamed of myself for sucking at such a classic franchise. THEY AREN'T EVEN HARD GAMES! ;_; I guess I should go play a FPS somewhere or something...

#1 Edited by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -

So, the most revered and historied gaming franchise is most likely the Super Mario games.  Everyone played them and loves them. I however did not get to play them in my youth, and you know what I really fucking suck at them. Well I am okay at the RPG's but they are not the platformers I am talking about. I am also not talking about the 3D Marios, no I mean the old school 2D ones. I have never gotten past the level after the 1st warp zone in the 1st one. I got the the end of 2, but that is not actually a Mario game, so I won't count it. I've tried to play 3, World, and Wii with my friends, all the time dying the most and doing bad enough to be laughed at. I feel very ashamed of myself for sucking at such a classic franchise. THEY AREN'T EVEN HARD GAMES! ;_; I guess I should go play a FPS somewhere or something...

#2 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

The 2D Mario games are much harder than the 3D ones. Besides the final boss of Mario 64 when I was a child, I've breezed though Sunshine, Galaxy, 64 DS and am breezing through Galaxy 2 as we speak. Don't be too hard on yourself, it's a historic series but classic only in nostalgia.

#3 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@HandsomeDead: Thanks.
#4 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -

I never finished the 2D Mario games. I sucked as well. But I love me some Mario 64 and above, because I needed my Mario games dumded down. That goes for a lot of games. I like hitting that easy button.

#5 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@Claude:  Ya, they are not the same as the 2D ones. I should get around to playing Galaxy 2.
#6 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

Galaxy 2 requires good hand eye coordination, and the ability to judge your position depending on which hemisphere of a planet you are in, as well as doing it all in a fraction of a second.

Have fun!

#7 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3482 posts) -

I am also terrible at any type of 2D platformer :I

#8 Posted by TobyD81 (1227 posts) -

I played SMB 1-3 and World a ton as a kid (still play 'em, actually.) There's a certain rhythm that you'll catch on to if you keep at it.

#9 Posted by dantheman1515 (297 posts) -

I was introduced into videogames by Super Mario 64, which is my favorite game of all time to this day. So I have never even played a 2D Mario and really have never had the urge to do so. I'm not a nostalgic gamer. I grew up with all Nintendo systems. And now I own a 360 and PS3.

#10 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -

I have no troubles with the 3D ones, but I suck at 2D ones as well.

#11 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@dantheman1515: Old games can still be good without feeling nostalgic about them.

@SJSchmidt93:
I'm glad I am not the only one.
#12 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

here is one of my gaming confessions. I never finished any mario games before. I think my brain has a problem with timing with platforming. I keep dying and stuff and super mario 64, I didn't even know what the hell I was suppose to do. Maybe platforming isn't your genre either.

#13 Posted by Redbullet685 (6031 posts) -

The only 2d mario I beat is New super mario bros (DS)

#14 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -
@Redbullet685: Is that game easy? If it is, it might be the first mario game I can finish.
#15 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47:  No, no it is not. I haven't finished any true Mario game either.
#16 Posted by clarke0 (1077 posts) -

Mario games are DEFINITELY not hard as far as classic 2D platformers go. If you man up and keep playing you'll inevitably get better and learn to appreciate the challenge.

#17 Posted by Symphony (1912 posts) -

Those of us who grew up with them primarily became good at them because those were really the only games we had to play. I remember 2D platformers like Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers being unforgiving at times but I played that damn game till I beat it. Ducktlaes is still the best NES-era platformer  (besides Mario 3 which wins for the Giant World, alone. Gigantic Goombas wooo!) imo though it was quite a bit more forgiving than most.

So yeah, there's no shame in not being good at them right away. Practice makes perfect, as they say.

#18 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Modern gamers just aren't looking for challenge. They want a hard mode that still has regenerating health and "dead eye" and VATS and autoaim. Its all about feeling skilled, not being skilled.

#19 Edited by Power_and_Glory (65 posts) -

I am the exact opposite. I was one of the few that hated Super Mario 64 when it came out. I just could not get used to the controls. I just really sucked at it no matter how many times I tried. Have no problems with the Galaxy games so far though. In terms of the 2D games Super Mario World for the Snes was a cakewalk. Beat that many times during my teen years. Had no problems with it years later on the GBA either. With the cape or with a blue Yoshi you can make some of the hard stuff a breeze. Looking back it kinda breaks the game.

#20 Edited by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@Symphony:  I've heard good things about Duck Tales, but mostly the music.  I didn't have a home cosole till the N64 and mostly played Golden Eye on it. Well I did have a GB before that and did have the 2nd Mario game before it. I never beat it though. When I was a kid I played stupid educational games on the PC, also Lemmings (but that was good). 

I do feel somewhat ashamed because when ever I play them it is with people who played them a lot as a kid and are good at them. I guess I could practice, but that would take away from playing other games :P

@ryanwho:
I still like challenge, but at things that test my skills for thing I think I'm good at. Like i always try to play at the second hardest, or hardest difficulty for shooters.
#21 Posted by Lambert (404 posts) -

Well... Mario sucks, so I guess it is even.

#22 Posted by Landon (4132 posts) -

lawlz, you suck at Mario.

#23 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I suck at Mario because I grew up playing Sonic. I just rush through everything like its a speed run and get killed.

#24 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@Fragstoff: He is so cute!!!!
#25 Posted by amoremono1 (128 posts) -
@Symphony said:

" Those of us who grew up with them primarily became good at them because those were really the only games we had to play. I remember 2D platformers like Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers being unforgiving at times but I played that damn game till I beat it. Ducktlaes is still the best NES-era platformer  (besides Mario 3 which wins for the Giant World, alone. Gigantic Goombas wooo!) imo though it was quite a bit more forgiving than most.  So yeah, there's no shame in not being good at them right away. Practice makes perfect, as they say. "

Yes!!!  Ducktales and Chip n Dale RRs!!  Still two of the best platformers ever....

@OP, if you go play some of these two games, you will probably come back and kick Mario's ass.  At least youll get past the first warp....Its like boot camp for 2D platformers, which all of us old farts grew up with ;  P.... I swear, I spent so many hours as a kid trying to beat those games...

Speaking of hard old-school games, didnt Earthworm Jim just get a reboot?
#26 Posted by FiestaUnicorn (1577 posts) -

Have you considered sucking less?
#27 Edited by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@amoremono1: It got remade. I guess i could play Duck Tales.
@FiestaUnicorn:  only once.
#28 Posted by Spoonybard37 (300 posts) -

The one Mario game I truly had a hard time playing was The New super mario brothers for the wii (>_>)

#29 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@Spoonybard37: Suck at that one too :P
#30 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

Obviously I haven't seen you play or anything, but if you're anything like a friend of mine who wanted to like Mario but sucked at it, try this: Run more!

When I play Mario, I am pretty much always holding down the run button. It makes jumps easier and in midair you can move and switch directions more effectively.

#31 Posted by luce (4045 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" Modern gamers just aren't looking for challenge. They want a hard mode that still has regenerating health and "dead eye" and VATS and autoaim. Its all about feeling skilled, not being skilled. "
I agree

Maybe its a sign that we're getting old
#32 Edited by Claude (16255 posts) -
@Daveyo520: 

You suck up haters like a vacuum cleaner, good for you.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is too much for me on the VC. I suck.
#33 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@Claude: I can't get what random people on the internet say on my nerves. 3 is the 1st time it became noticeable to others how much I suck at it.
#34 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@Daveyo520: 

And don't get me started on how much I sucked at the NES and SNES versions of Zelda, not until the Ocarina of Time was I able to enjoy that series.
#35 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@Claude: I did about as well as other people on Zelda, maybe because I enjoy them more. Like I spent more time on them cuz I liked them and got better. I think I said the same sentence twice.
#36 Posted by SomethingClever (419 posts) -

Super Mario Bros is a very easy game for me.  I can get through it without dying (granted that is with the warps) which isn't exactly a miracle or anything but still, it's something.

Now, I'm not in any way bragging about that.  This comes from the fact that I played that game day in, day out for years and years.  Technically I've never actually stopped playing that game because I've always had an NES hooked up and I very frequently went back to it.  Then a SNES with the Super Mario All Stars and more recently the version on the Wii virtual console.  So basically me and Mario go way back.  Well, I actually was usually playing as Luigi as a kid because my older brother would play Mario.  I would learn by watching him, as my dexterity and mental abilities in general grew I was already mimicking what I had seen him do in the game.  It wasn't long before I got better than him at the game (a pattern that continues to this day really).  I swear there was a time I could have probably played the game blindfolded. 

I played nearly as much 3 and World and the same thing pretty much goes for them.  But if I take any time away from Mario (say even a couple of months) the first 15 minutes or so is still pretty damn rocky before my Mario muscle memory kicks back in.  While someone could laugh at you for not being good at them they really were well done but difficult games.  Nothing to be ashamed of.

#37 Posted by Kiera (245 posts) -

my wrist gets tired of the repetitive motion when im always spinning enemies in galaxy 2.

#38 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@Phunk_King: Every try playing rom hacks?
#39 Posted by Claude (16255 posts) -
@Daveyo520 said:
" @Claude: I did about as well as other people on Zelda, maybe because I enjoy them more. Like I spent more time on them cuz I liked them and got better. I think I said the same sentence twice. "
Well, I truly suck more than you. If it wasn't for sports games in the early nineties, I probably would have given up on video games.
#40 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@Claude: Well it's ok. I'm glad you didn't give up, cause games are great.
#41 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

#42 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -
@RE_Player92: What do I do to watch the video?
#43 Posted by sasnipes (109 posts) -

Thanks for reminding me about DuckTales guys! I'm going home to visit the family this week, so I might just have to break out the ol' NES and play some of that :D That was one of my favorite games actually for the system, besides Mario of course and the Castlevanias.

To stay on topic: old 2D platformers can try your patience, but once you get the timing down and a rhythm going, there'll be no stopping you :P

#44 Posted by Daveyo520 (6677 posts) -

Oh, I do like Mega Man, even if they are hard.

#45 Posted by 8bit16bit64bit (11 posts) -

well i always sucked at boss fights......... and i still do but i'm always really good at regular levels and rpg games

#46 Posted by Fallen189 (4976 posts) -

For all the crass dickheads who moan about how games are too easy, and Nintendo are too casual, Mario games are super fucking hard.