• 57 results
#1 Posted by Grambo (21 posts) -

This probably isn't the time to be asking for such a thing, considering how there are very few MMO's for PC that are worth playing themselves. But I really wish some developers would act upon the potential there is for the next generation of consoles. Only time will tell if my wishes will be answered. All I know is the time I had playing WoW is still some of the most memorable and entertaining times I have ever had on a game. What are your thoughts? Or maybe I just don't know about an MMO on console that's any good. Please let me know!

#2 Posted by Deusx (1902 posts) -

I don´t think thats going to happen. The MMO market is already on decline. I understand the sentiment though, I´ve had good times playing some MMOs. I hate them now but still, I had fun.

#3 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

ff14 is still actually coming 

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (35782 posts) -

Does Phantasy Star Online count?

#5 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

I'm with you.

#6 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1796 posts) -

you can still get in on phantasy star universe on the 360 before it shuts down in august

#7 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -

DCU is pretty fun.

#8 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1796 posts) -

@Landon: hey i forgot about that it is pretty good

#9 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1723 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that F2P games will become a big thing, even on consoles, next gen. Dust 514 on PS3 and Phantasy Star Online 2 on Vita will set the precedent of things to come. 

#10 Edited by Village_Guy (2478 posts) -

I would love to see some great unique MMO's for the consoles, I do think however, that they need to break out of the "classic" MMO-format and create something different before it would really work.

EDIT: Not just for console MMO's actually, I'm tired of games that just rips the gameplay from WoW.

#11 Posted by Grambo (21 posts) -

@Village_Guy: Well here's my thought's on originality. If you come out with an MMO on a console, you HAVE to be different than any other game ever made. New mechanics, new game play, and new end game PvE/Pvp.

#12 Posted by Jimbo (9767 posts) -

Don't worry, you'll get one.  It'll be The Next Big Thing when somebody (as in Activision) figure it out.

#13 Edited by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

You can still play it online, so yes.

And no I'm not wrong, there are ways to get online with your Dreamcast.

#14 Edited by WarlordPayne (694 posts) -

It's definitely not for everyone, but I had tons of fun with FFXI and that's on PS2, PS3, and Xbox 360.

Actually, I guess it only works on backwards compatible PS3s.

#15 Posted by DukesT3 (1888 posts) -

I think DCU is all you got homie.

#16 Posted by Kombat (2205 posts) -

Final Fantasy XI is pretty damn good, but those used to the much more dumbed down style of MMO found today will find themselves very quickly frustrated.

#17 Posted by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

Final Fantasy XI is (was?) pretty good. 

#18 Posted by EXTomar (4442 posts) -

The problem is that MMOs are notoriously expensive and take a lot of content and maintenance to run and currently the only "store" that is friendly enough to start trying an MMO is PSN and even then it isn't that flexible.

#19 Edited by Marz (5641 posts) -

DCUO is allright for PS3, there are some games that can transition pretty well to console like TERA and Final Fantasy XIV(coming out later this year for PS3, but the game sucks balls anyways :P) which have native controller support.

#20 Posted by Levio (1782 posts) -

The Next Blizzard MMO is very possibly a cross-platform since WoW already has the PC market cornered and beaten to death.

#21 Posted by DemBones (69 posts) -

Anyone else think that the OP was going to be all-caps?

#22 Posted by xbob42 (480 posts) -

C'mon, guys. I'm the biggest Phantasy Star Online/PSO2 fan in the universe (but not a big fan OF Universe.) but it isn't a friggin' MMO! It's a lobby/instance based online RPG! Kind of a really big difference, actually.

#23 Posted by Bratcher_Lev (269 posts) -

I've had this sentiment rolling around in my head for years now. A long time ago a game called True Fantasy Live Online was announced. It was a full MMORPG for the original XBox. I followed its development for a couple years. It was often announced as coming out "soon" but the release date kept getting pushed back. Then finally, inevitably, it was announced that the whole project had been scrapped. That was a pretty sad day, and one that's kept me skeptical about console MMO's since.

info page: http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/16/true-fantasy-live-online-xbox-cancelled/

#24 Edited by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -

@Bratcher_Lev: Yeah, I was so excited when that (TFLO) was announced. I still think MMOs on consoles are possible, but I'm not so sure about Microsoft consoles. They also signed up for but later axed Champions Online, Kingdoms Under Fire II and Age of Conan. I don't think they feel comfortable giving up control of XBL to maintain that type of game. Maybe with the next iteration of their system, they'll be a little more flexible, but for two generations now, they haven't really been all that receptive. I know there's FF11, but I believe that was done just to get FF on the Xbox and steal some of Sony's exclusivity.

#25 Posted by xbob42 (480 posts) -

Hell, I have played MMOs on PC for years and I was excited at how good TFLO looked! Never saw the light of day. :(

#26 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:
I'm pretty sure that F2P games will become a big thing, even on consoles, next gen. Dust 514 on PS3 and Phantasy Star Online 2 on Vita will set the precedent of things to come. 
Pretty sure MMOs have monthly fees in addition to the original cost. F2P?
#27 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4240 posts) -

FF14 is far, far from the abominaton it started out as. There's still quite a few problems with the game, but the new team has been doing great work and 2.0 looks like it's going to turn the game into what it should've been from the very start. So once that launches on PS3, I say it's more than worth it to start playing then.

Also, completely random tangent here, but didn't NCSoft and Sony sign a deal back in '07 or something? Obviously nothing came of that, but are there any rumors or anything floating around?

#28 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo: NC Soft have mentioned they're working on a Guild Wars 2 console port, but it's likely a long ways off, if it ever appears at all.

#29 Posted by ch3burashka (4991 posts) -

But why???

#30 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
#31 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Video_Game_King said:

I never got how you could have a solid online experience with that built in 56k Modem. Games must have had some god-tier netcode to deal with that shit.

#32 Posted by Bollard (5198 posts) -

@Hizang: I presume that isn't real? Cause I actually remember Jagex saying they were working on something real big for RuneScape.

#33 Posted by xbob42 (480 posts) -

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@NekuSakuraba said:

@Video_Game_King said:

I never got how you could have a solid online experience with that built in 56k Modem. Games must have had some god-tier netcode to deal with that shit.

No... It was just laggy as hell for anything the server had to handle and let most of the crap be handled locally. Which meant rampant cheaters. Also there was no cheat protection to speak of, so Gamesharkers ruined stuff starting with PKing teammates to turning characters into level 5 NPCs permanently (NOL fun!) to actually frying memory cards/Dreamcast systems in a few instances.

#34 Posted by yoshisaur (2606 posts) -

@Deusx said:

I don´t think thats going to happen. The MMO market is already on decline. I understand the sentiment though, I´ve had good times playing some MMOs. I hate them now but still, I had fun.

I use to think like this, but then I read this article and it changed my mind: WeflySpitfires.com

No, it's not my blog, but it pretty much lists a couple of reasons why the MMO genre isn't dying, it's just changing; And with change, comes a lot of negativity.

#35 Posted by Solh0und (1752 posts) -

Final Fantasy Xl on the 360 might be your best bet. DCUO is kinda stale.

#36 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1723 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
Um, free to play? 
#37 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Chavtheworld: Oh but imagine if it was real!

#38 Posted by Pazy (2559 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I'm pretty sure that F2P games will become a big thing, even on consoles, next gen. Dust 514 on PS3 and Phantasy Star Online 2 on Vita will set the precedent of things to come.

F2P stands for Free-to-Play, it indicates you can freely download and play a game typically with a "microtransaction" store along side it.

For example Allods Online is a F2P game, very similar to WoW, which lets you start playing for free, get to max level, dungeon , gear etc. completely for free but when you get higher level Blue Gear (high quality basically) and above will start out "cursed" so they provide, something like, 70% of the stats they do normally until you pay ~30p per piece of gear to get it too 100% stats. Typically they will also sell faster XP scrolls, extra pets and mounts in addition to what you can get in-game (through I find they reserve the cool stuff for the store and give brown horses in-game).

DCUO runs a F2P model where you can access, for free, all the content that was originally contained on the disk. That is the lvl1-30 content, including all dungeons, and inital set of raids. If you wish to access more dungeons and raids then you can either pay £8 per set, as well as 1 new class, or subsribe for your standard MMO amount to get all DLC as well as higher back/money limits.

#39 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

The only mmo worth it on the consoles.
Not its sequel PS universe however, what a piece of crap that was.
#40 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Vegetable_Side_Dish@Pazy: I know what F2P means :/ I'm saying MMOs have subscriptions, so whats F2P got to do with it?
#41 Posted by Pazy (2559 posts) -

Currently to my knowledge the only MMO's on, english, consoles are DC Universe Online, Free Realms (if you want to call it an MMO, and FFXI. Ignoring Free Realms, its a kids mini-game collection with a subsription fee, then the other two games are pretty solid.

Final Fantasy 11 is a little old and as such dosent quite fit with modern game ideas (the slow levelling speed, slow attack speed, slow skill regen (class skills are once every two hours), obscure mission design and extreme group focus) but if you can get into it then its a wonderful game. If you have friends willing to join you, or can make friends ingame, then FF11 is a great choice.

DCUO is a more modern MMO where you can solo to max level and then group find into dungeons (the game finds you a group and teleports you all there with your chosen roles). It has a more action system because you have your array of 6 chosen skills (out of 30 skills?) and can then use Square and Triangel to initiate melee and range combat with your main weapon. Its a fairly simple system, its not even God of War, but its enjoyable since it has a good feel to it. Especially since, unlike most current MMO's, you can knock the enemy in the air to stop them hitting you.

If you have a PS3 id suggest giving DCUO a try since its free to download from the PSN store. FFXI is a tougher sell due to its group focus, cost of entry and incredibly long download portion as well as install size (when I played in 2009 it took up the majority of my 20gb HDD).

Japan actually has a couple more MMO's on PSN. One appears to be IP locked, Uncharted Waters Online, and Angel Love Online which is an odd 2d MMO where you start inside a barrel and it directly mapped the mouse controls to your right analog stick.

We can hope that next generation games like Tera and C9 start to get ported due to their action style gameplay but currently the choices are very limited.

#42 Posted by Pazy (2559 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: @Pazy: I know what F2P means :/ I'm saying MMOs have subscriptions, so whats F2P got to do with it?

Its the most populer, and profitable, model outside of WoW and its gaining traction in most genre's on PC. Its provides a much lower barrier to entry and a much larger player base which makes it more appealing. Though things like Cod Elite and BF3 premium exists console owners arent really used to per-game subscriptions (its only really XBL Gold that does it) so F2P is a way to get the MMO model onto consoles.

#43 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Tons of MMOs dont have subscriptions and are considered 'F2P' even though you still have to buy a box up front. I get what you mean, there's no real term for a game like that (guild wars comes to mind.)

There's definitely room for a fresh, action MMO console game but the biggest hurdle is easily the lack of a full keyboard for communication.

There's a lot of smart devs out there and surely one of them can sort out the problem, but I wouldn't expect such a game to emerge until a few years into the new console's life spans at least.

#44 Edited by RIDEBIRD (1230 posts) -

@Levio: All of their current customers plus a loooooot of new people will jump to their new MMO. On PC they pay nothing to no one, and Blizzard loves money and open platforms. Unless nextgen is extremely different and promotes openness, expect Blizzard to stay on PC, even if consoles will very likely support F2P models.

OnT: FF14 is the worst game I have ever played, any category. DCUO is allright, try that out.

#45 Posted by Daiphyer (1301 posts) -

I KNOW ME TOO

#46 Posted by jakob187 (21640 posts) -
  • Final Fantasy XI
  • DC Universe Online
  • Everquest Online Adventures
  • Phantasy Star Online
  • Phantasy Star Universe
  • Free Realms
  • Dust 514

That's the only ones I can think of...so there ya go.

#47 Posted by WarlordPayne (694 posts) -

@Benny: Both consoles support usb keyboards.

#48 Posted by Benny (1947 posts) -

@WarlordPayne: The PS3 supports bluetooth headsets and you know how well that went for them. They either need to be included for free or design around it.

#49 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1723 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic: What Pazy said above me. Basically it's the most popular new business model for MMOs or just about any genre - sub free but supported by micro-transactions. 
#50 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Everquest Online Adventures!