I replayed all the previous Halos before H4.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By LongMasterWolf

So in the two weeks prior to Halo 4's release I played all the Halo campaigns on Legendary. I mean all of them, in Canonical Order because I'm a stupid fan boy.

• Halo Wars
  • Reach
  • Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary (I substituted this one for the Original)
  • Halo 2 ( Until about mid way)
  • Halo 3: ODST (After finishing this I switched back to H2)
  • Halo 3

Upon finishing H3 on the Monday prior to Halo 4's release I was pretty happy to have gone back to the campaigns, and while there were frustrating moments in each the overall experience was satisfying. The games definitely have different feels for each of them.

Now that Halo 4 has been out for a little less than a month I feel confident saying that the campaign in H4 is by far the most emotional of all the other Halos. This isn't suppose to take away from the others, but at the end of Halo 4 I actually felt connected to Master Chief as a character. Contrast that to the feelings of, "Oh Shit! Master Chief is a crazy badass, I can't believe he made it out of this one" that I felt in the others. Still not sure where it ranks with the other campaigns but I don't necessarily feel the need to do a ranking.

Has anyone else done something similar for other franchises? This past summer I played through all the Mass Effect games, but that was mainly because I hadn't touched one prior. I mean specifically replayed the previous game in anticipation of the new release?

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LongMasterWolf

So in the two weeks prior to Halo 4's release I played all the Halo campaigns on Legendary. I mean all of them, in Canonical Order because I'm a stupid fan boy.

• Halo Wars
  • Reach
  • Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary (I substituted this one for the Original)
  • Halo 2 ( Until about mid way)
  • Halo 3: ODST (After finishing this I switched back to H2)
  • Halo 3

Upon finishing H3 on the Monday prior to Halo 4's release I was pretty happy to have gone back to the campaigns, and while there were frustrating moments in each the overall experience was satisfying. The games definitely have different feels for each of them.

Now that Halo 4 has been out for a little less than a month I feel confident saying that the campaign in H4 is by far the most emotional of all the other Halos. This isn't suppose to take away from the others, but at the end of Halo 4 I actually felt connected to Master Chief as a character. Contrast that to the feelings of, "Oh Shit! Master Chief is a crazy badass, I can't believe he made it out of this one" that I felt in the others. Still not sure where it ranks with the other campaigns but I don't necessarily feel the need to do a ranking.

Has anyone else done something similar for other franchises? This past summer I played through all the Mass Effect games, but that was mainly because I hadn't touched one prior. I mean specifically replayed the previous game in anticipation of the new release?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By nightriff

I've wanted to do either a Zelda, MGS, Resident Evil and other games but usually after I beat one or two I need a break and play something else. Last year my goal was to beat all the Zelda games I owned before Skyward Sword, only got through OoT and LoZ.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Tylea002

I played through Mass Effect 4 times overall, twice in the week before Mass Effect 2?

That's the closest I can get.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Good for you.I just watched Drew and Alexis play on the stream.I ended up playing through ME 1 and 2 as a renegade femshep before ME3 came out.I also plan to play through Bioshock again before Infinite comes out.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nightriff

@Tylea002 said:

I played through Mass Effect 4 times overall, twice in the week before Mass Effect 2?

That's the closest I can get.

I did the exact same thing, ME2 looked awesome so I decided to get the first one, played the game like 3 times the weekend before and then picked up ME2 and subsequently beat it twice in the first few days.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Baillie

I played the Metal Gear series back to back, not in canonical order, though. MG1, MG2, MGS, MGS 2, MGS 3, MGS: PO. MGS: PW, MGS 4. Played through on the hardest difficulty on them all. It was glorious. I also played through the three mass effects in a row, on insanity. The games seem to get much easier on each iteration.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nightriff

@Baillie said:

I played the Metal Gear series back to back, not in canonical order, though. MG1, MG2, MGS, MGS 2, MGS 3, MGS: PO. MGS: PW, MGS 4. Played through on the hardest difficulty on them all. It was glorious. I also played through the three mass effects in a row, on insanity. The games seem to get much easier on each iteration.

I envy you and your skills, still need to beat half the metal gear games I will probably play them on normal or easy.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

I have enough trouble finishing one game that I haven't beaten; I couldn't keep my attention on five games that I have, even if those five are some of my favorites.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By duskvamp

and I did the exact same thing together leading up to the release.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

That's alotta Halo. Did you burn yourself out on the franchise before reaching 4?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Baillie

@Nightriff said:

@Baillie said:

I envy you and your skills, still need to beat half the metal gear games I will probably play them on normal or easy.

I wouldn't envy me, I've just played them enough to figure out what I'm doing at nearly every point. Still though, some of them are pretty infuriating at some parts. I'd say to avoid playing them on easy though, it's fun to go through but you also kind of miss the point of the stealth aspect. Normal is the way to go. It's what I prefer playing them on.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Baillie

@DuskVamp said:

Who are you replying to?

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By duskvamp

@Baillie said:

@DuskVamp said:

Who are you replying to?

The OP.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Baillie

@DuskVamp: I'm confused. Why did you say Wrighteous86 then? The OP is

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nightriff

@Baillie said:

@Nightriff said:

@Baillie said:

I wouldn't envy me, I've just played them enough to figure out what I'm doing at nearly every point. Still though, some of them are pretty infuriating at some parts. I'd say to avoid playing them on easy though, it's fun to go through but you also kind of miss the point of the stealth aspect. Normal is the way to go. It's what I prefer playing them on.

I believe I did normal on 2 and 3 but when I played 1 I went easy because the gameplay was awkward for me, played it for the first time last year.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Clonedzero

i did it with mass effect if that counts. i replayed ME1 in preperation for ME2, then i replayed ME1&2 with a fresh character to get ready for ME3.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Baillie

@Nightriff: Yeah, I have trouble going back to MGS myself. It takes me a while to get used to it, but when I do... IT'S ON. What games haven't you played then? I wouldn't say it's necessary to really play any other than the main numbered series.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By duskvamp

@Baillie said:

@DuskVamp: I'm confused. Why did you say Wrighteous86 then? The OP is

I was saying that Wrighteous86 and I played through them together, I just @'d him to call him out.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nightriff

@Baillie: MG 1 and 2, PW and I want to play MGS2 again just to figure out what the fuck is actually going on. Don't know if I will play the other PSP game....don't even remember the name

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Baillie

@Nightriff: Portable Ops. I realised after going back to MGS 2 that I really don't care for the story, which is strange considering how highly I used to regard it. The craziness that Jeff and others seem to love just flat out annoy me. MGS 3 is where my love for the series is, even though the bosses possess weird powers, the story itself is great.

Anyway, yeah. I guess it's up to you, but the story kind of changes a bunch from the MG games, so it seems a little irrelevant.

@DuskVamp: Yeah, sorry. I don't think my brain quite managed to read that right, even though I went over it a few times. It's weird when stuff like that happens!

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did the same thing before Halo 4, exactly the same thing, down to stopping in Halo 2 when Master Chief leaves Earth - playing through ODST - and then returning to 2.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By duskvamp

@Baillie: No worries, happens to us all!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nightriff

@Baillie: I didn't like MGS2 while I was playing it but looking back on it, it was just fucking weird and kinda just want to play it again to see if it's better and the sword stuff at the end was awesome. MGS3 is the best in the series (out of the 4 I've played). Just enjoyed everything about it for the most part, everything I didn't enjoy was usually my fault.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LongMasterWolf

@AhmadMetallic said:

That's alotta Halo. Did you burn yourself out on the franchise before reaching 4?

No I didn't burn out on them. I have played through them enough to know the shortcuts if i feel like just running through a mission I can. It was fun to sort of relive some of those games before I got to see the next iteration in the franchise. Online co-op also helped mix it up by playing with some of my friends on XBL.

@Village_Guy said:

I did the same thing before Halo 4, exactly the same thing, down to stopping in Halo 2 when Master Chief leaves Earth - playing through ODST - and then returning to 2.

Did we just become best friends?