I still don't understand why Halo receives scores of 10s and 9s?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By vidiot

Like the recent debate on Final Fantasy VII, that I decided not to butt in because I think I would have killed someone. In regards to Halo, like Final Fantasy VII, we all need to take a step back and look at the context regarding the release of the original product.

FPS were still not a driving commodity on consoles as they are today. To give you some perspective, we still to some degree considered GoldenEye to be the poster child of console FPS at the time. Halo brought a PC level of quality to a FPS for a console, mostly in part of the Xbox itself. It handled like how a FPS should with a controller no less. It brought multiplayer modes, again ripped from different sources and that were common on a PC, to a console in a format that was acceptable for a console.

In terms of what Halo inspired: Halo brought great seamless vehicle handling to the FPS genre. It defined for better or worse, the rechargeable health system's in most of our action games now. And it's solid set of multiplayer options, while had been done before, became something of a standard for most action games.

It was the only title worth playing in my opinion during the original Xbox launch, which was (don't kid yourself) a big reason for it's immediate popularity, and why Microsoft hyped it so much. From the perspective of long term PC gamers, Halo was an alright shooter. It had a solid single player campaign with a spotty story. Halo has a good back story from the books, but the games have a severely difficult time trying to explain it. I think the series lowest point was probably Halo 2, with Halo 3 expanding on the high points of the first game.

It's very difficult to jump into Halo 3 and understand anything.
I don't really know why you would do such a thing to begin with, it's illogical. That would be like, starting to read a book from the third chapter. It doesn't make any sense, and seeing how everyone knows storytelling is not Halo's strong suit, it really doesn't make any sense.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By Video_Game_King
vidiot said:
Like the recent debate on Final Fantasy VII, that I decided not to butt in because I think I would ... [more]
Wow, you actually phrased this neutrally. Points for that. Wait, that system was removed weeks ago :P. But still, I made my point before, and I stick by it. Besides, I disagree with Halo not being known for the story, since I've seen people praise that from here to the end of the universe, and the game was advertised as "Finish the Fight," which at least hints at some sort of story. Minus points for slight run-on sentence :P.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By kmdrkul
Video_Game_King said:
CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: CL60 said: Video_Game_King said: ... [more]
lolwut
chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By chililili

Well I don't own the Halos but I've played them a lot, and can honestly say that the games as a whole are not a 10, however certain parts of them are a 10 to me,

Matchmaking System and online play: 10 Definitely the best in all consoles, its fast, consistent and has a thriving community. Now if it only was an interesting shooter (like Team Fortress 2) and wasn't completely generic this pretty much would kick ass.

Sounds and Music: 10 I very much like the dialogue and am a fan of the Gregorian Chants so that gets a 10 on my scale.

Story is 8-9 (too high for most people's standards) but I am generous only because I tend to not consider it very important to a shooter.

Mostly Halo for me from a general shooter perspective is completely generic, it has nothing that sets it apart from any other generic alien vs. marines shooter. No truly original weapons that you cannot find the equivalent of in other games. So I would expect it to get 7-8 scores on single-player or LAN experiences, however the online multiplayer really sets it apart and might push the score to a high 8, but not the universal 100s it receives everywhere (and it should never be in a discussion of best game ever)

But remember gaming media is still majorly enthusiast press and they get flamed if they don't give certain things a ten. 8.8 Anyone?

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By End_Boss

No Caption Provided

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#56  Edited By Sooperspy

I would say that the first two deserve the scores they got, but three no. Maybe an 8.5 or somethin like that

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#57  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Yep. Another one of these fucking topics. We get that you don't like Halo; Video_Game_King, and the fact that you get into a pointless argument with CL60 every time some troll posts this shit is really starting to get annoying.

Also, I guess asking people to stop posting on these kinds of threads is pointless, because some idiot will inadvertently necropost and put us back to where we started, and so my faith in humanity dwindles

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Brendan
@dogoo:
Even though it was only a few years ago, nobody seems to remember that Halo 1, at least, was revolutionary in it's time in that no console shooter had proven to be succesfull (in that day only PC FPS's were thought to be any good).  Of course after Halo 1 came out, tons of others followed suit and in some ways improved upon it's formula over the years.  When Halo 2 came out it's run and gun was still good fun (ha) and it's multiplayer was so slick and newthat it was still revolutionary.  Halo 3 was the same as the others, but Bungie chose to keep on with the familiar formula (which provd to be wildly successful) even though over the years other console shooters have since ecpanded upon it's first step. To be fair, Halo 3 was my least favourite, I had done it all before I guess.
strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#59  Edited By strangeling

jagt707, is that you?

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#60  Edited By Captain_Fookup

The masses enjoy mediocrity. The series sells well because anyone can pick it up and become good at it.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
Captain_Fookup said:
The masses enjoy mediocrity. The series sells well because anyone can pick it up and become good at it.
Wow. That is one of the most un-informed statements I have heard today.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
StarFoxA said:
Video_Game_King said: Agnogenic_delete said: @Video_Game_King: I played Halo 3 first before the others and the story is quite easy to ... [more]
actually it does if you want to know any thing truely about the story then yeah.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Diamond

The fact that this thread isn't locked yet doesn't bode well for the future of this forum :X

Centurion11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64  Edited By Centurion11

I agree with you, it is an overrated shooter.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
Captain_Fookup said:
What is your gamertag? I want to look up those stats.
Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Captain_Fookup
Agnogenic_delete said:
Captain_Fookup said: The masses enjoy mediocrity. The series sells well because anyone can pick it up and become good at ... [more]
What's your address? I'd like to sneak into your race car bed in the night and sodomize you.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By turbomonkey138

Not another halo flame thread :(

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By lord_canti

i like halo its a good game but a mid level shooter at best  its fun and a  good game with a alright story i still go back to it  on the pc but  there are a lot better ones around  im sure a lot of people would say the same about half life 2 or resistance 2  or killzone or any other shooters out there but there are better ones than halo but theres still something about it and i cant but my finger on it but i still play it and enjoy it and i gess thats what matters

gormers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By gormers

Threadstarter (and everyone else):

If you dont understand why they got so many 9s and 10sss, read and watch the reviews and then come back and point out what points in the review you disagreed with.

edit: to the guy over.... punctuations....?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Captain_Fookup said:
Agnogenic said: Captain_Fookup said: The masses enjoy mediocrity. The series sells well because anyone can pick it up and become ... [more]
Translation: i cannot give it away cause it will prove i play halo 3 constantly concreteing my self as the majority i claim to be mindless.
Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Captain_Fookup
WilliamRLBaker said:
Captain_Fookup said: Agnogenic said: Captain_Fookup said: The masses enjoy mediocrity. The series sells well because anyone can pick it up ... [more]
Nope, played the game for a month when it came out, then traded it in for the far superior Call of Duty 4. I ended up picking it up again about three months ago and pop it now and again to play custom games with some friends from real life.
hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By hexogen

Why does everyone have issues with other people liking games?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By get2sammyb

Halo 2 was genuinely good though (the multiplayer).

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By CL60
Hexogen said:
Why does everyone have issues with other people liking games?
Because they like trolling. Nuff said.
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By thebeast
I thought Halo was a pretty revoutionary advancement in how we play FPS' and the evolution of the games industry - sure, it dumbed things down a bit for a lot of us - but I forgive it.

Oh, and you guys rock - I'm amazed this turned in to a decent discussion rather than constant "OMG TROLL!" posts.
bulletbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By bulletbeast

i dont get what the big deal is with halo either. Sure its a good shooter but its not that good. i always feel im missing something when i play. u probably have to read the books to get the storylines fully.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By The_A_Drain

Why is this thread even getting the bumps? It's clearly troll feeding time at the zoo and you guys just keep shovelling.

I despise Halo but anyone who was going to startup a serious thread slagging it off would come up with a half decent reason for disliking it over "I hates it, so should you" so it's clearly designed to squeeze a response out of you, and a nice juice one it's gotten too. So can we just let it die?

Ignore it, and it will go away.

Edit: "I'd like to sneak into your race car bed in the night and sodomize you"

You want to sneak into his bed and be an unwelcoming neighbor to him? Well shucks. (That was after all, the great sin commited by the inhabitants of the cities of Sodom and Gommorah, being unwelcoming and rude, not buggery and other sexual acts as is commonly beleived.)

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By crusnchill
@dogoo:
Dude, you have to take into consideration, the times these games were released.

At the times of release of 2 of these games, there quality level was enough to impress everyone blind.
I mean there wasn't much else out, that was any good that is, when Halo 1+3 (excluding halo 2, since it came out later on in the original XBOX's life-span.) came since they were released near enough when the console's were first released.

Now however, looking back, I have to admit, they were big bangs and flashy special effects, but not a whole lot else.
I still really like the multi-player though. What can I say, I met a few good friend's from playing halo 3's multi-player, and now I don't mind just fucking about on other game's with them too.
dogoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By dogoo

people are agreeing with me? awesome!

Railer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Railer

My guess is that the Halo games recieve good scores because the games are damn good. Even though i felt the Halo 3 singleplayer wasnt top notch, the multiplayer part of Halo 3 was so damn fun and addicting.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Hitchenson
dogoo said:
people are agreeing with me? awesome!
That doesn't mean you're 'right', it just means some people share your opinions.
Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Hairydutchman

I've only played the Halo 3 beta. It was prety good, but the community sucked.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#83  Edited By EpicSteve
dogoo said:
Yeah I now understand that the reason a lot of people play Halo is because its simple and streamlined but ... [more]

You really have nothing better to do, do you? I don't like Zelda, but you don't see me trolling on forums bitching because I got shot by too many 12 year olds.
carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#84  Edited By carlthenimrod
Captain_Fookup said:
Well, according to your Bungie.net profile, you have played 209 games online. That is a lot of fucking games buddy. Guess that makes you part of the masses that enjoy mediocrity.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By crunchUK
carlthenimrod said:
Captain_Fookup said: The masses enjoy mediocrity. The series sells well because anyone can pick it up and become good at ... [more]
By halo 3 standards that's nothing at all.

Anyway what i don't understand are why "GAYLO IZ OVERAITID" threads are popping up almost 2 years later. If it was overrated, surely everyone would have gotten over it by now? ;)
Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Lowbrow

The games, whether anyone likes to admit it or not, are built rock fucking solid. Especially the last one. It plays very well, offers some replayable features( for the achievements and the like) clan support, smooth multiplayer, tons of maps, weapons, good lobby support - all of these things, other games totally lack - the games are polished, and tons of people love them - if you don't its ok.

Simes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Simes

To answer the question in the thread's title:

Because other people have different opinions to yours.

MarcusOfLycia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MarcusOfLycia
@Simes: Not to come across as a jerk, but I don't think anyone is unaware of that fact. I really don't care what the reason is for the topic post, but there should be some discussion on it because it is more dividing than people think. The Halo series, on its own, is made up of great games. The problem so many people have is that its not on its own. With games like Half Life 2, Call of Duty 4, and others, its hard to justify giving the game consistently amazing scores as though it was redefining the genre. The first Halo definitely did quite a bit, and to its credit, helped move console shooters forward. But we aren't on the first Halo anymore, and they are still recieving the scores. The second and third games seem to me to be in the 8/10 range. Again, not bashing the games, but in order to recieve a 9/10 or a 10/10, I'm a personal believer that you need to really push the limits and redefine the genre for the better.

This is an interesting topic that should be discussed, especially considering the sheer quantity of shooters.
TC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#89  Edited By TC

I thought the campaign was hella boring, and although there are some epic moments, I have to agree I don't see much of the appeal...

But it got me my gamerpoints!
and you can't beat the multiplayer!
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Captain_Fookup said:
WilliamRLBaker said: Captain_Fookup said: Agnogenic said: Captain_Fookup said: The masses enjoy mediocrity. The series sells well because anyone can pick ... [more]
lol 209 halo games and you purchased it a 2nd time, yeah your part of the mediocritic majority. *specially if you like cod4*
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By crunchUK
Agnogenic_delete said:
Shhhhh

Don't correct the troll!
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't like the gameplay that's completely fine, I don't too much either (since 1 at least) but acknowledge its an EXTREMELY well made product.  The multiplayer in 3 is fantastic.  The split screen options for playing on LIVE, party system, replays, Bungie website features, Forge, etc.   I mean there's a lot there and Bungie does a great job.  I'd rather play Call of Duty but I'm impressed by what Bungie has done with Halo and I'm looking forward to what they do next because they have some serious chops.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By pweidman

LOL, some people seem to harbor some deep inner resentment about a game so many have enjoyed for years, and yet, somehow they didn't get to realize the greatness and joy of say Halo 3's mp, and feel the need to seek similar opinions about  the Halo series that dropped years ago.   Just tragic really;(

Simes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Simes
@MarcusOfLycia: But again, your opinion that games shouldn't get 9/10 or 10/10 unless they redefine the genre is your opinion. Some people think games shouldn't get a ten unless they're absolutely perfect, which means no game would ever get one. Some people just think that games which are awesome fun should get a ten for their awesome funnitude.

Whether a score is judging the game on its own merits or comparing it to others in the genre is, again, down to the individual's opinion; and the reader's opinion on whether the review is doing that will often be different from the reviewer's opinion.

Say an utterly awesome genre-redefining game comes out. You think it's clearly a ten game, so you score it ten. Then three months later another utterly awesome game comes out in the same genre, redefining it once again, and doing it better. That's obviously a ten game too. Is the previous one now not a ten game? If we're rating games by comparing them to others in the genre, clearly scores for games should decline over time as better ones come out.

Review scores are not objective valuations of what the game is worth to everyone in the entire world. There's no way they could possibly achieve that because someone who hates shooters is never going to rate CoD4 as highly as someone who loves them.

My opinion is that far too much time is wasted arguing about the goddamn numbers.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By maxszy

Are we really going at this again? Plus, who really cares about the scores? I think the actual number has way too much emphasis that it honestly deserves.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#96  Edited By Black_Rose

People like it, that's it. It doesn't make you or them wrong, you just have a different opinion.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Diamond
TheBeast said:
I thought Halo was a pretty revoutionary advancement in how we play FPS' and the evolution of the games industry ... [more]
I'm amazed you aren't locking an intentional troll thread...  When someone is creating new accounts to make a single trollish thread, why shouldn't that be locked?
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By crunchUK
Diamond said:
TheBeast said: I thought Halo was a pretty revoutionary advancement in how we play FPS' and the evolution of the ... [more]
Because trolls are funneh
thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By thebeast
@Diamond: Because I'd much rather see everyone turn the conversation in to something decent rather than lock everything which might cause a more immature community to go a bit crazy.
MarcusOfLycia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By MarcusOfLycia
@Simes: I suppose I was assuming a standard of some sort. Without any sort of standard when it comes to rating games, I see no reason to include numerical ratings at all, and the entire concept becomes self-defeating. Also, anyone giving a game a rating is merely giving their opinion. This whole idea of self-interpretation has to either go both ways, or neither way.

I don't bash games, I don't think the Halo series is particularly overrated, and I enjoy a number of different genres. Games that are good don't generally need an introduction, and games that suck follow that process as well.

When you rate a game numerically, you have to take into account other games, because these things (just like movies), are not created in a vacuum. If the last shooter to come out was Goldeneye for the N64, and all of a sudden Halo 3 was released, it would clearly be a 10/10. But Halo 3 was created with many other games at the same time, all of which are similar. It's not to say its a bad game, as its clearly a very good game. But if ratings are to mean anything, the highest of ratings must go to the highest quality of games. I don't know if Halo 3 legitimately makes it into the "highest of the highest" 9-10 range in comparison with other games, as the original title in the series did.

I think the main point here, if the original post had any merit, is that sometimes a series recieves a score based partially on people's inherent love for the series instead of comparing the game with its contemporaries. Granted, it can't always be helped, but sometimes its misleading.