HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By HiroSeven

Hey everyone,

In the past few weeks I responded to an article in our local newspaper. The article had to do with videogame violence and how we tend to become attracted to 'evil' things. I don't normally state my opinions on a public stage, but I guess I finally got fed up of people using my favorite form of entertainment as a medium for explanations of violence... especially without looking at the opposite view. My response was published in a later edition of the newspaper and I'm here to share that with everyone.

Without further explanation, here is the article and my response respectively, I've left out the name of the person who wrote the article and my real name, but I've provided links so if your so inclined to see the originals, you can follow the links.

___

Why is evil so attractive for so many?

(Name), The Times

Published: Friday, January 09, 2009

A few months ago, I was visiting my sister at her home on Vancouver Island and spent some time with her two boys who are in their late teens.

Apart from TV and soccer, they were especially absorbed by myriad video games, which they played for many hours, sometimes late into the evening.

We would have meals together but they would immediately disappear to play still another game.

I became intrigued with their choice of entertainment - I knew little of the games -and although I was aware of their popularity, I wanted to see for myself what made them so attractive.

One evening I found that one of my nephews had left his computer on: I discovered that I could easily access an assortment of video games using icons on his desktop.

One, in particular, Grand Theft Auto, located in Vice City, caught my attention; it turned out to be a disturbing portrait of an imaginary Florida city devoid of any morals or values.

A simulated tourist guide issued to users - presumably young males - caught my eye; it was included in the package of software issued with the game (which I did not view at the time).

In fact, Vice City was overtly a portrayal of evil. There was absolutely nothing wholesome, pure or selfless about the inhabitants of the imaginary community.

The economy, according to the guide, includes revenue from the black market. Politics is portrayed as toxic with a congressman subject to gossip regarding his affection for alcohol and young female interns.

The guide characterizes religion as money and refers to a TV preacher who promises heavenly rewards to supporters who fund his "ministry" with the right donation.

Tourists visiting Vice City are recommended to carry fake identification and a firearm at all times. Police are not to be trusted and, "even a minor infringement can escalate into a full-blown showdown."

Amoral, violent and abusive of women, the depiction of Vice City is entertainment at its darkest.

Unfortunately, much of what passes today as commercial amusement seems to dwell almost exclusively on evil. Lust, greed, pride, envy, gluttony, even extreme wrath (in the form of violence), are at the core of many movies and TV programs, for example. But why? Why do we appear to have an insatiable appetite for evil?

I believe such an attraction is found in our hearts - it may be stimulated through a video game, film, DVD or by some other means, but it is at the core of our being.

Parents and teachers don't have to be reminded that, in general, children and young people must be taught to embrace altruistic behaviour. The Bible speaks about this when it says, "All have sinned and come short of the glory of God." Sin - all the bad things we have done - separates us from God and his perfection.

You might have a sense of this in your own life - a covert temptation that you know is wrong and others might say is evil.

The Bible also emphasizes the power of evil: "But each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed; then, after desire is conceived, it give birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown gives birth to death."

But there is hope. This familiar Bible verse should encourage you: "For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:16).

Christ, who was perfect, accepted death on a cross for you personally. And he rose from the grave.

Why not make your decision for God today?

- (Name) attends church in Abbotsford and writes Faith That Matters for the Abbotsford-Mission Times every month.

Link: http://www.canada.com/abbotsfordtimes/news/faith/story.html?id=ae2cf83d-662e-4b10-a127-5d27e8db0551
   ___

Not all the video games that seem filled with evil are evil

The Times

Published: Tuesday, January 13, 2009

EDITOR, THE TIMES:

Re: Simon Gibson's faith column in Friday's Times entitled Why is evil attractive for so many?

I tend to agree with this article, but only to a certain point.

I believe it is immature to speak of a singular entity of a larger whole only because we've experienced small facets of that singular case (example, don't judge a book after reading just the first few pages).

That particular video game is one of just a few of its kind which seems to find its way into all sorts of topics related to video game violence and its "evil" effect on an individual.

The fact of the matter: There are more video games that have an enriched storyline and teach good moral values than those that are similar to Grand Theft Auto. The same can be said about movies.

I play video games on a semi-casual basis (about 10 to 12 hours per week) and the type of video games I play are indeed of a violent nature. I feel however, that I am not morally affected by these video games because they are simply a medium of entertainment.

Since people with little knowledge about video games like to spin them in the direction of evil with a related example, I will do the opposite and speak some good of them with my own example.

The Legend of Zelda series is about a young man who must go through arduous tasks to vanquish an evil bent on destroying all that is good. Among the game are various puzzles, interactive battles, endearing miniature games within the game, a beautiful landscape and an expansive storyline filled with wonder and fantasy.

Some of the moral values it teaches, especially in the more recent of the series, are hope, perserverance and courage.

Evil will find a way into the hearts of people, yes that's true. It's an unavoidable instance of life that is difficult to get away from. Not all things that seem evil are filled with evil however.

There is a greater good to be found in all things and we as believers of God and faith must embrace that idea.

Faith shouldn't be an object to be thrown around wherever we see fit.

Faith, like the good morality we want to instil within ourself, is something sacred that we should try and use when we feel hopeless and have no where else to turn to but God.

(My name)

Vancouver (Not Abbotsford).

Link: http://www.canada.com/abbotsfordtimes/news/letters/story.html?id=7b3cb814-9640-4ea8-bd6d-02eb51e79e4c

___

Well, I don't know if what I did was right or wrong and I'm not too satisfied with my response. It was mostly on instinct after all.

Also, to reiterate, I don't consider myself passionate about videogames, but it is my favorite form of entertainment. After seeing all the stuff in the media about violence in videogames, I just had to shed a different light towards it.

This thread is not just about me though; I want you guys to post anything you've done in a similar fashion, how did you stand up for gaming?

-hiro 

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

What's all this faith shit?

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By freezerr

Man, the anti-video games guy is a tool. He just wanted his local newspaper to give him a soapbox for a salvation message. His letter fails to sound genuine; hell, it sounds like copypasta from a thousand pastors' sermons.

OP, good stuff. It gets weaker at the end, but your use of Zelda as an example was well-done.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By shadows_kill

i hate people that think video games=violence=destroying kids minds. just stupid. i bet watching the most violent movies would effect a kid more than playing most violent video games if they would even effect the kid playing or watching the game/movie.

Da_Muffin_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Da_Muffin_Man
Jayge said:
"What's all this faith shit?"

I would also like to know.
Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Giantsquirrel
Jayge said:
That.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

What I would've liked to see you throw out there is this: what are the parents' thoughts on the game and the fact that they let their kid play it?

I've said it once, and I'll continue to say it a million times over:  any parent that lets their child play a game named after a felony probably doesn't give a shit about their kid in the first place.

The biggest problem you run into in modern times is that most parents are, what, 27 with a 12 year old?  Teen pregnancy now is higher than it ever was, and these folks are not mature enough to be parents.  Therefore, when the parent plays GTA, they think it's okay for their kid to play GTA.

Mind you, there is no scientific evidence that violent video games like Grand Theft Auto lead to any form of real-life situations...but at the same time...really?  Are we that naive that we continue to hide behind that stupid fucking blanket?  We're adults, and we know damn well that when we were kids, we were acting out what we saw.  When we first saw an uppercut on Mortal Kombat, we were playing pretend with our friends that we were uppercutting them.  When we saw Sub-Zero rip a dood's spine out, we emulated that...but in pretend.  The thing I find disturbing today, however, is that most parents fail to explain to their children that the world of video games is MAKE-BELIEVE!  It is NOT real!  When you, as a parent, do not distinctify the difference between fantasy and reality, but expect your child to do so for themselves, that's when you prove you are a bad parent.

Just some food for thought....
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PureRok

I had to roll my eyes at the mentioning of faith and God and "evil".

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince
PureRok said:
"I had to roll my eyes at the mentioning of faith and God and "evil"."
Ironically, this was your 666 post... XD

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gunswordfist
Jayge said:

I was going to say that too. The end of BOTH articles made me kind of sick. It seemed like pointless preaching. Well unless it was a religious newspaper (if they even have those)

ANYWAY, I love how the TC 'gives away' the guy who wrote that idiotic article's name within his first sentence.

I'm going to point out some dumb thing that Simon..er I mean (Name) said.

'I knew little of the games'

I knew EXACTLY where the article was going after that. lol

'In fact, Vice City was overtly a portrayal of evil.'

HAHAHAHAHA!!! The term evil cracks me up everytime I hear it. It's like the most ridiculous word ever. I think Disney movies and Saturday morning cartoon's version of 'evil' everytime I hear it. People try way too hard to see things in terms of black and white. That's why we get hilarious moronic articles like the first one here.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PureRok
LiquidPrince said:
"PureRok said:

"
That... is creepy.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude

My wife is a mental health therapist and she agrees that video games can cause aggressiveness in certain individuals, because of studies that have been done. I argue that parents are the ones responsible for the these individuals, but in a lot of cases the parents are at fault. This problem is circular and becomes obtuse. No science or instruction well end this and the end is not near.

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gunswordfist
PureRok said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"PureRok said:

"
That... is creepy."
lol It is. Also the fact that you posted 3 more times within minutes. Woo wooo wooo it's a ghost! lol
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_
Claude said:
"My wife is a mental health therapist and she agrees that video games can cause aggressiveness in certain individuals, because of studies that have been done. I argue that parents are the ones responsible for the these individuals, but in a lot of cases the parents are at fault. This problem is circular and becomes obtuse. No science or instruction well end this and the end is not near."
No studies have proven that video games cause aggressiveness, the closest thing to that assertion that has been found was that naturally aggressive people tend to continue being overly aggressive after long videogaming sessions.
HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HiroSeven

Thanks for the responses guys.

gunswordfist said:

"Jayge said:

I was going to say that too. The end of BOTH articles made me kind of sick. It seemed like pointless preaching. Well unless it was a religious newspaper (if they even have those)

ANYWAY, I love how the TC 'gives away' the guy who wrote that idiotic article's name within his first sentence.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! The term evil cracks me up everytime I hear it. It's like the most ridiculous word ever. I think Disney movies and Saturday morning cartoon's version of 'evil' everytime I hear it. People try way too hard to see things in terms of black and white. That's why we get hilarious moronic articles like the first one here."

Yeah, I didn't really want to throw in anything about faith in my response, but the dude used it as a contrast and comparison so I had throw my 2 cents about faith in there. I suppose the latter part of my response to the article wasn't really about videogames haha.

This is actually from a local newspaper; this article just happened to be in the 'faith' section.  

But yeah, I kinda think I should have used more examples of 'non-evil' (yeah that word makes me laugh too in this case) games.

@jakob187; I agree with your comments. Now that I think of it, putting in something about a parents influence would have made it better.

-hiro
Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stanford

Do you live in some really christan town or something, because people who are concerened about video game violence need to realize that THERE ARE BIGGER ISSUES IN THE WORLD THEN VIOLENCE IN VIDEO GAMES

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gizmo
Stanford said:
"Do you live in some really christan town or something, because people who are concerened about video game violence need to realize that THERE ARE BIGGER ISSUES IN THE WORLD THEN VIOLENCE IN VIDEO GAMES"
No, he lives in England.
Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aurelito
Stanford said:
"Do you live in some really christan town or something, because people who are concerened about video game violence need to realize that THERE ARE BIGGER ISSUES IN THE WORLD THEN VIOLENCE IN VIDEO GAMES"
Right. even parents don't care that much.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Snail

You fought the good fight son.

starfox444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By starfox444

There should be more stories about how people who often have the hand eye co-ordination to play video games, the ability to read instructions and in general use a piece of hardware for entertainment purposes also have the common sense to separate reality from fantasy. I enjoy playing shooters and killing things in videogames, that doesn't mean I'm going to go out and shoot real people for entertainment.

Thanks for defending the medium :)

HiroSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HiroSeven

Thanks again for the responses. =)

Stanford said:

I live in Vancouver BC 'Canada' which considers itself a building metropolis and is about 40 mins away from the town that newspaper is from. This newspaper is just something I found while waiting for the Skytrain like a few weeks ago.

Your absolutely right, there are far worse issues than video gaming violence; except this just happened to be the issue that the person brought up and hey, I was more than happy to show him the other side.

Also, this doesn't have much relation to the topic, but just so there is no confusion,  I'm not Christan; I'm Bhuddist.
Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Stanford

Well, people really need to just shut up and focus on really issues.  I mean, come on, THERES A WAR GOING ON RIGHT NOW!!!  SEVERAL, TO BE EXACT

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gunswordfist
HiroSeven said:
"Thanks for the responses guys.

gunswordfist said:
"Jayge said:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! The term evil cracks me up everytime I hear it. It's like the most ridiculous word ever. I think Disney movies and Saturday morning cartoon's version of 'evil' everytime I hear it. People try way too hard to see things in terms of black and white. That's why we get hilarious moronic articles like the first one here."

Yeah, I didn't really want to throw in anything about faith in my response, but the dude used it as a contrast and comparison so I had throw my 2 cents about faith in there. I suppose the latter part of my response to the article wasn't really about videogames haha.

This is actually from a local newspaper; this article just happened to be in the 'faith' section.  

But yeah, I kinda think I should have used more examples of 'non-evil' (yeah that word makes me laugh too in this case) games.

@jakob187; I agree with your comments. Now that I think of it, putting in something about a parents influence would have made it better.

-hiro
"

Hmmm..I see. It was like the guy was being wrong about religion and games at the same time and you defended both of that. I understand now. And the word evil cracks me up. People can be too insane and sensitive about things trying to turn people 'evil'.HiroSeven said:
"Thanks again for the responses. =)

Stanford said:
I live in Vancouver BC 'Canada' which considers itself a building metropolis and is about 40 mins away from the town that newspaper is from. This newspaper is just something I found while waiting for the Skytrain like a few weeks ago.

Your absolutely right, there are far worse issues than video gaming violence; except this just happened to be the issue that the person brought up and hey, I was more than happy to show him the other side.

Also, this doesn't have much relation to the topic, but just so there is no confusion,  I'm not Christan; I'm Bhuddist."

Really?! I thought you were Christian. lol Way for me to f that up.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Milkman

We're bringing God into the violent video games argument now? Really? REALLY?!

gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By gunswordfist
Milkman said:
"We're bringing God into the violent video games argument now? Really? REALLY?!"

Hey, I hear that Final Fantasy 13 will be so powerful that they will have God as the last summon in the game.
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I think its great that you took the time to write a educated response to the anti-gaming people out there.   Sure you could of added more, but hind sight is 20/20. (meaning when you look back on something you always see what you've missed).  Good job though.  As Snail said, you fought the good fight.

KingGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KingGeorge

It's important to take a stand for what you believe in. The Gaming community are grateful to have a neighbor-to-the-north like you.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By BiggerBomb
HiroSeven said:
"The economy, according to the guide, includes revenue from the black market. Politics is portrayed as toxic with a congressman subject to gossip regarding his affection for alcohol and young female interns.

The guide characterizes religion as money and refers to a TV preacher who promises heavenly rewards to supporters who fund his "ministry" with the right donation."

Apparently, the writer of this column does not understand what satire means. If you would, HiroSeven, write a follow up to your response, soley comprised of the
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By wefwefasdf
KingGeorge said:
"It's important to take a stand for what you believe in. The Gaming community are grateful to have a neighbor-to-the-north like you."
Oh the irony.