I think I'm getting bored with video games/life in general.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Raspharus

Don't get me wrong. I love video games. I did since I was a kid. But since I finished high school and exams I've been having a lot of free time. Free time that I spent well, gaming. Only gaming. I don't have any real life friends so I can't say I talk to many people. Sure I do have my steam friend list but... people never talk to me. This coupled with the fact that my parents work all day means a lot of silence in my house.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not much of a social guy, and usually I feel tired after I socialize with people, but, idk what to say, I need to interact sometimes with someone haha. Also playing only video games is nice and all, but sometimes it gets boring. I used to have a couple of friend some years ago, that I played WoW with but I haven't talked to them in like 2 years or so. Making forum friends doesn't work either. Mainly cause the forums that I post on are mostly formed of american users. I don't have a problem with americans but I live in the eastern part of Europe and the time zone difference is very big. It got tedious even trying to play good games like xcom, or dying light or even The witcher 3.

I do have my books to read, but I'm also bored of them. Heck I don't even know what to do. I'm keeping my TV on just to hear someone talking. And I have to finish LA noire but even the thought of clicking the shortcut makes me ugh..

I tried picking up streaming, but I don't have a webcam and I dont even get viewers at all.

I used to talk a lot and play with my cousin but now, he is not paying any attention to me. If I tell him something about games or just talking I just receive monosyllabic answers.

Can you guys help me somehow? Maybe im doing something wrong...

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By a_e_martin

You're not doing anything wrong. I've been going through similar feelings for some time now, and I too posted about it here on forums about a year and a half ago. A lot of people said it sounded like depression, and though I pretty much dismissed the idea at the time, it turns out they were right.

Now, in your case it could just be that you are lacking a direction in life (and I guess that's something that a lot of people go through at around the same point in their lives), but it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd suggest seeking out a professional, be it for study/career/general life advice, or even a doctor if you feel like you need mental health advice. It's best to start working on these issues as soon as possible. I learned that the hard way.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By chu52

Everyone hits phases where they lose intrest in things they enjoy, I love reading but haven't touched a book in a month.

What scares me is that you said you are also bored with life in general. As someone who struggles with depression, that sounds like a warning sign. I hated the idea of therapy and counseling for years, then after only a couple months of going I actually started to feel great about myself.

I think you should find a professional to talk to, many work on a sliding scale based on what you can afford. Help is out there.

I have great hope for you. The fact that you are reaching out means you can get through this. The Giant Bomb community is a great place to find some support. They helped me through my darkest period, and that makes me want to help you.

Lastly to anyone reading this who feels like harming themselves, please seek help immidetly. Suicide only ends the possibility that life will get better.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're not doing anything wrong. I've been going through similar feelings for some time now, and I too posted about it here on forums about a year and a half ago. A lot of people said it sounded like depression, and though I pretty much dismissed the idea at the time, it turns out they were right.

Now, in your case it could just be that you are lacking a direction in life (and I guess that's something that a lot of people go through at around the same point in their lives), but it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd suggest seeking out a professional, be it for study/career/general life advice, or even a doctor if you feel like you need mental health advice. It's best to start working on these issues as soon as possible. I learned that the hard way.

What this guy said. Been there, done that. Talk to somebody about your problems. Be it a professional, or just a family member.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I get what you're feeling. As previous posters said, it sounds like you are in need of a new direction in life. Some new experiences. Getting bored of things is natural if you do them for too long. You may be too dependent on gaming as your hobby being your identity, and now that you're losing interest in it you don't feel like you have anything anymore. I'd recommend challenging yourself to try things you've never done before. Find things you enjoy to help you diversify who you are and to help you meet others with similar interests. But also, it sounds like you may be entering into a depression, so I would highly recommend seeking someone out if you can. You said you don't have any real life friends, but do you have any family who you could talk to? Definitely let your parents know you're feeling this way at least. Maybe they can help you find the help you need.

At the start of the summer I was pretty down on everything, even games, because of some things going on in life that I can't really change. I had those exact feelings where I felt like I should have some kind of desire to play a game or finish something, but when it came down to actually loading up the game or doing anything at all I'd just say fuck it instead and sit there stuck in my head. Usually pretending to nap so no one would bother me. I never got to the point of talking with a professional because I (luckily) got out of it due to my sister and a few of my friends. They helped me get out of the house and experience new things to take my mind off of the boredom and everything I was dwelling on. It sounds like in your case you may be even more isolated, though, so definitely go find a professional. They're here for this kind of thing. They'll point you in the right direction to finding things that'll make you happier.

Bottom line is you aren't alone and this isn't anything that strange really. It's just something that happens. Particularly if you're young and transitioning between phases of your life. It's easy to feel lost, bored, and alone. You aren't doing anything wrong. Just work on finding the next enjoyable part of your life whatever that may be and making sure you have someone who can support you. You'll get there in time.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who has gone through and is still going through some shitty depression, albeit a somewhat stable version (whatever that actually means for me somedays) it sounds to me that talking to someone might not be a bad idea. Getting to the root of why you might be bored with life could maybe clear some things up for you and to allow you to tackle other problems in stride. It at the very least could make you more willing to be sociable with strangers and meet new people so you don't feel so alone.

Whatever is the root of what ales you, I wish you the best friend. It can be a difficult task to sort out your inner demons and get on a steady footing. But if you have only just graduated high school and don't have any steadfast plans in motion on what you want to do with your life career wise. You could put yourself in a position of trying to get a handle on this stuff before you really get out in the big wooly world out there.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take it from an older guy: life's too short to be bored.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#8  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Don't you have any creative interests, like playing music, painting/drawing, writing or programming? If not, I'd suggest you try to pick something like that up.

jackburtonme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First: This isn't because you are doing anything wrong. It's can be easy to get in to a cycle of feeling like you feel the way you do because you have messed something up, which leads to feeling worse than you did before. Try not to think like that. The world today is a pretty crazy place for humans that are basically the same as they were 10,000 years ago in terms of evolution. The technology we have today makes it really easy to get into a living situation that is quite alien to the lifestyle that our minds and bodies have evolved to perceive as satisfying, so it's important to consciously take some steps to counteract that weird feeling.

A couple suggestions: I don't know what kind of living situation you are in, but it's super important to get some kind of exercise. Even if it's just walking or running for half an hour, try to do some physical exertion at least 3 days a week. It sounds dumb, but it's amazing how much this by itself will make you feel better, even mentally. Also, pick something that you like or that interests you and create a concrete goal for yourself, then work towards that goal a little bit every day. Even if it is just for 15 minutes, decide you are going to work on it for a certain amount of time and then do it. It's important for your mental health to feel that you are accomplishing something that you value. It can really be anything: studying something, learning to cook, woodworking, creating art, whatever. Working with your hands is especially satisfying. Finally, connecting with other people is important. It's helpful to learn that other people are probably more similar to you than they are dissimilar, and that most people struggle with a lot of the same feelings. So like some have suggested, talk to someone and make it a point to seek out other people (even just a little bit if you are more introverted). Talk to someone that you trust about these feelings you mention specifically in your post. It's important to be honest and open with them. Don't feel ashamed at all for needing help.

I hope this helps some. Remember:

1. This isn't something that you did wrong.

2. You are a valuable person.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By bceagles128
@raspharus said:

I don't have any real life friends so I can't say I talk to many people.

@raspharus said:

I'm not much of a social guy, and usually I feel tired after I socialize with people, but, idk what to say, I need to interact sometimes with someone haha.

@raspharus said:

I'm keeping my TV on just to hear someone talking.

@raspharus said:

I used to talk a lot and play with my cousin but now, he is not paying any attention to me. .

It sounds like the problems here run a lot deeper than video games,so you may want to speak to a therapist. Video games are a cool hobby but they shouldn't be your sole form of interaction with others. I think you need to unplug for a bit, seek out some real life interaction with others and try to make some friends. I can totally relate to you when you say that it feels like a chore sometimes, but if you make friends with the right people, you can hang out with them without feeling like you need to make fluffy conversation all the time.

You mentioned graduating from high school recently... Are you going to university? That would certainly help you to make some friends. Otherwise, I would suggest trying to pick up some hobbies and joining groups that relate to them to meet similarly minded people (for example, running, cooking, art. travel, beer/wine tasting). There's a lot to this world aside from gaming.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First: This isn't because you are doing anything wrong. It's can be easy to get in to a cycle of feeling like you feel the way you do because you have messed something up, which leads to feeling worse than you did before. Try not to think like that. The world today is a pretty crazy place for humans that are basically the same as they were 10,000 years ago in terms of evolution. The technology we have today makes it really easy to get into a living situation that is quite alien to the lifestyle that our minds and bodies have evolved to perceive as satisfying, so it's important to consciously take some steps to counteract that weird feeling.

A couple suggestions: I don't know what kind of living situation you are in, but it's super important to get some kind of exercise. Even if it's just walking or running for half an hour, try to do some physical exertion at least 3 days a week. It sounds dumb, but it's amazing how much this by itself will make you feel better, even mentally. Also, pick something that you like or that interests you and create a concrete goal for yourself, then work towards that goal a little bit every day. Even if it is just for 15 minutes, decide you are going to work on it for a certain amount of time and then do it. It's important for your mental health to feel that you are accomplishing something that you value. It can really be anything: studying something, learning to cook, woodworking, creating art, whatever. Working with your hands is especially satisfying. Finally, connecting with other people is important. It's helpful to learn that other people are probably more similar to you than they are dissimilar, and that most people struggle with a lot of the same feelings. So like some have suggested, talk to someone and make it a point to seek out other people (even just a little bit if you are more introverted). Talk to someone that you trust about these feelings you mention specifically in your post. It's important to be honest and open with them. Don't feel ashamed at all for needing help.

I hope this helps some. Remember:

1. This isn't something that you did wrong.

2. You are a valuable person.

This is all really great advice.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ehbunner

I want to first echo everything everyone else has said, it's all very good advice, talking to a professional, especially when you don't know what 100% is bothering you can never hurt, I'm also not a doctor but in case you get one that is hell bent on just medicating you, try to first try some of the alternative ideas mentioned in this thread, getting out and meeting people, picking up a hobby etc can make a large difference, the best I ever felt in life was when I was working toward a goal which happened to involve lots of working out.

I should add that if you're thinking of harming yourself in any way and the doctors want to medicate you then listen to them! What I'm saying is more if you just feel in a big funk than it might be better to first try other things and then if it doesn't work then medicate.

I really wish I could add more but honestly I feel like if I talk about this too much and how I can relate and how I feel about life I could potentially make your problem even worse and that's the absolute last thing I want to do, from what you've said I have great hope for you, you don't sound like your mindset is nearly as much of a problem as mine and you're just in a bit of a rut. I hope that you are able to make a few life changes and feel better

It sounds like you are primarily a pc gamer so I can't offer to game with you as all my gaming is done on the ps4 however I am an insomniac, often awake at all hours and have steam installed, if you ever need someone to bounce your thoughts, ideas, fears, hell it doesn't even need to be about anything, we can just talk about whatever, learn about each others countries and cultures or literally anything, judgement free, god knows I could use more friends myself!

steam username the same as my forum name: EhBunner

And if anyone else is reading this and feeling the same way as the topic creator and wants to take me up on that offer feel free, maybe I could do something positive with my life for once!

Hope everything works out for you Raspharus, we are all here and rooting for you

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Maybe it's a matter of being bored of entertainment because you subconsciously feel like you're wasting your time with entertainment mediums. Maybe you just need something to work towards so you don't flood all of your free time with entertainment.

Also, you're sounding lonely. Having goals you work towards, such as a profession will get ya to meet new people, just don't be afraid to be social. Just talk to people.

Go out and try something new every so often. Maybe travel.

Avatar image for generic_username
generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

I'm in a similar place right now. The only thing that has kept me sane is playing Magic: The Gathering because it forces me to go out and socialize every Friday night. I don't know what the scene is like in your area, but having a hobby that requires interaction with someone else and havnig a place to engage in said hobby helps a lot.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By laserbolts

Go out and meet some people. A lot better than sitting around posting on a video game forums about how bored you are with no friends. I don't know what you expect to happen if you don't put in any effort to change things. Getting a job wouldn't hurt either. Thank your parents for putting up with you any chance you get.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Raspharus

Guys guys. Im okay, im not depressed or whatever, just all around bored. Regarding exercise, unfortunately I cant. I had a surgery 5 years ago and since then I cant make any form of exercise besides idk walking(pertitonitys and sepsis)

Its just that I havent talked to someone in a long time and i've got a lil bit lonely/bored. Nothing to be afraid of. But GOD what reactions, I never knew people were such caring(apparently lol). If anyone wants to talk with me just add me, my steam user is the same as here.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#17 FinalDasa  Moderator

Take a break.

Sometimes even if I just spend a day away from the internet, away from games, away from my normal day to day it makes me feels better. No one can only have one hobby or spend all their time on one or two things. Try and explore your city, or find new things to do. Diversify your interests and activities and maybe when you come back to video games you'll feel better and energized.

chrjz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Guys guys. Im okay, im not depressed or whatever, just all around bored.

This may be true... but chronic boredom can easily lead to depression.

Do you have a job? If not I would highly recommend looking for something that will put you in contact with people. It will fulfill some of your social interaction requirements and you might even make friends. It should also help you value your free time more and maybe make you look forward to an hour or two of gaming.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You sound like an introvert and I can personally relate to how hard socializing can be for introverts. If you can't handle parties, festivals and other gatherings without a purpose then focus on specific activities related to your interests where you might find like-minded people.

Apply for an education or a job, buy a plane ticket to somewhere or join a society for your hobby. You will get more long term fulfillment from that than video games.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You sound like an introvert and I can personally relate to how hard socializing can be for introverts. If you can't handle parties, festivals and other gatherings without a purpose then focus on specific activities related to your interests where you might find like-minded people.

Apply for an education or a job, buy a plane ticket to somewhere or join a society for your hobby. You will get more long term fulfillment from that than video games.

I second this. Find a job, save some cash (should be easy since you're living with your folks) and use the money to fund a trip somewhere. South East Asia is cheap and beautiful, could be a real life changer for you adventuring in the real world as opposed to the virtual.

Good luck duder!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

If you have the ability to go out, I would do that.

- Get a job...you meet people, earn money, and have something to do.
- I would then join a club or an adult sport: D&D, softball, soccer, etc? (Guaranteed way to meet people without much pressure because you are all there to play.)
- Take a class at a community college: literature, cooking, drawing, programming - ANYTHING. (Guaranteed way to meet people without much pressure because you are there for a class.)
- I would stay with a gym membership and go five days a week. You won't necesarily "meet people" in the open sense, but you gte to know people and you chat between you reps.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get a dog or make a baby. Then your life won't be boring.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Yeah sounds maybe like depression to me. I do not think you should dismiss the notion. Being bored with life and lonely are both negatives and that's what it sounds like, whether you realize it or not. Hell, maybe you really aren't but I don't think you should dismiss it and you should definitely take people's advice because it's been pretty good.

I had this issue when I hated a lot of things in my life (mainly, my confidence, my job, the place I lived) and I just kind of couldn't or wouldn't spot the causes and felt pretty powerless to change these things. I always had the power, but I was someone who would just keep doing the same. But I changed that and things have been better since.

I think you should make a change. Be willing to make a big one. Be willing to find a new job, something new and challenging, meet new people, move somewhere new. Anything that gets you out of your norm, because right now your norm isn't working.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

I've grown up with video games and lately i'm pretty bored with them as well, I've taken more to the hobby of board gaming though and it's slowly replacing my interest in modern video games. If you think it's something worth checking out go to meetup.com and look for some board gaming groups to see if you have any locally. What i like about board games is the fact that anyone can add to the design of them, even to the narrative, and anyone can make their own. Most modern videogames, to me, are leaning on linear narratives, the illusion of choice, or just rehashing worn mechanics.

So that's my suggestion; Board Games. There are a few of us, here in the forums, talking about our favorites. And i find the guys at Shut Up & Sit Down to be both entertaining and do a good job of encapsulating the feel of the games they play while they explain how the games play.

Board GAMES!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people in this thread don't seem to realize how hard it can be to just "go out" and "get a job." Especially when you're like me and live in a shitty town where unless you're a pretty, young girl with connections your best chance of employment is at the local McDonald's.

With that being said, they are right in the sense you should try to get out of your house more. If you're unemployed, maybe take a look at some potential places of employment, or hell, do volunteer work if you can. (It's good because you'll get connections and experience to use on actual job applications) Take a break from video games, or at the very least try to play them less. If you've ever had an interest in another hobby like drawing, music, whatever, maybe give it a shot and see if they stick. If you have supportive parents, maybe try talking to them about what's going on if you don't have friends to talk to.

I'm in a similar position as you and it suuuuucks. I'm not depressed, but I'm just so unenthusiastic and detached from stuff sometimes. I do keep in contact with a small circle of friends, which is nice.

Raspharus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys as much as i want(and trust me I want) I can't get a job because there aren't any kind of jobs for people that haven't finished university here in my country. The only job that I can pick up is carrying different things(hard labour) for a company(like a supermarket or so). I would've loved to make some cash this summer break but no one is gonna employ you unless you have some people to talk for you or until you bribe someone. And if lets say this doesn't happen most of the time you can't even find a working place cause all of em are full already.

I was amazed when I saw your reactions because here in my country people are assholes. If I would've posted on a romanian forum people would've put me down or ignore me because that's how they are. Maybe because of the shitty social situation, it makes them behave like assholes.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thesquarepear

Sorry that you're in a tough situation with your health and the conditions in your country. Being part of the EU should bring opportunities because I've met plenty of your countrymen at education institutions in my country that were competent and friendly.

Regarding finding decent jobs I have trouble personally fighting my own pride that's held me back from asking for help but everyone needs to start somewhere and most of us learn by making mistakes in our first jobs. Try to imagine a career like a skill tree where the lucky few get perks like social connections or education that let us skip some steps but usually it is a life long progression where you build on your experience.

You come across like a well written duder so maybe try out some of the many free resources online to learn foreign languages, programming etc and hopefully something will grab you. School provided me with the social pressure that I needed to push myself in productive direction but I guess it comes naturally to those talented guys like Palmer Lucky.

Good luck!

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Get creative, duder. Draw, paint, write, compose, build, make, learn, experience. There's so much out there that you could be doing. A lot of which you can do for free. Free graphics editors, music sequencers, tutorials, example files, tools.

aiomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Try a social hobby: Boardgames, Magic The Gathering etc? I too found games were starting to be lonely, but I started playing a lot of games like Magic, and I've found that since it's a social situation based on a game is super easy to just partake in with very little energy required. And it's super easy to make friends when you all have a common interest.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Can you guys help me somehow? Maybe im doing something wrong...

You aren't really doing anything wrong, most anybody will get bored doing the same thing and only the same thing over & over.

All you need to do is take a break from games and maybe get some variety in your life in terms of activities. Since you've mentioned a job or other such things is not on the table for you (i'd still keep trying if I were you), you can always try a different hobby. I'd still encourage trying to get involved in some sort of social diversion, whether that's a book club or volunteering a museum or participating in civic stuff or something else. Just something that gets you out of the house occasionally and socializing a little. That will help give you a bit of variety.

fwiw I find I have the most fun playing games, when I'm doing it at the end of a long day at work/school or a vacation. Sometimes Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FacelessVixen

I'm pretty much going to echo those that are saying "get a job or hobby." Working on something in either Photoshop or Vegas Pro give me something that feels meaningful and enriching to do when I'm feeling aimless and lethargic.

Next year I'll finally buy a guitar and start taking guitar lessons, finally. Shit's gonna be so cash! :D

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

@raspharus: In regards to Steam friends, I ended up with about 500 people on my friend list and only about 15-20 of those talk to me regularly. It's usually a good idea to seek out interesting people on steam. Those who have fun profiles and have a good sense of humor in their posts. Or those who are looking to play the same games you play (you can usually find a few on the game's Steam forum). Then just keep chatting them up whenever you see them online. Something as simple as what's up, did you see this funny video or did you hear about this news can start up a whole conversation. Not everyone you add will be talkative and friendly but the more you add people, the more likely you'll end up with a group of friends that you like to talk to regularly. :)

Supajohnson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds a lot like me, man. I lost contact with my friends out of high school and have filled the hole with games and online media. 7 years later and it's starting to weigh pretty heavily on me. I can still enjoy them, but there's always this nagging thought that I should be doing something else, something more social. I've found myself playing less games and just spending all my waking hours at work so I don't have to think of things to do...

I am seeing a psychologist, and his basic advice was that I need to try to be more social. Force it, even. Doesn't matter if you get shot down or rejected, not trying is infinitely worse. It's hard at first; really hard. I'm just starting to try and I notice my hands shaking and mind racing trying to think of things to even type to people online, let alone in person.

Anyway good luck dude.