I think overpowered characters in videogames should...

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jay444111

Go the way of text games. Extinct. Harsh yes, but let us all be honest here, some characters in some videogames are so damn overpowered that you can solve anything with anything. (literally.) They mess up the story of the videogame and often times are braindead stupid when in cutscenes! However, I think that devs are finally learning that overpowered characters make the game totally unfun and unintersting. but let's take a look at a couple of overpowered charactors from this gen alone.

The Main character from fallout 3, with broken steel and all avaliable perks gotten. This single character can literally PUNCH 15 deathclaws and 5 mutant overlords to death without ANY healing at all. I mainly blame the totally design messups from bethesda on this, i could literally talk my way out of any situation and even kill everything just by looking at it. (literally, anything can die just from looking at it once you are totally maxed.) Also, being unholy amounts of rich shows that this single character can buy the entire wasteland with just 25% of his own money. This guy is just plain overpowered and it ruins the depth of being in a wasteland filled with monsters after you pretty much can kill deathclaws without any allies helping you, you start to realize how overpowered you actually are.

Alex Mercer, my goodness, this guy is like John Carpenters The Thing but with human thought. This guy goes faster than a freaking train, can literally eat people in less than a heartbeat. disguise himself as anyone he freaking wants, and absorbs giant monsters on a regular basis! If that is not overpowered, I don't know what is. Also consider he is the smartest human being on the freaking planet for absorbing so many people, he practically knows everything. Wanna know if aliens are being hidden by the government? *alex mercer eats a CIA agent just to find out.* "Yep, They do!" also considering the fact that he is in a practical God-mode throughout the game, he is a unstoppable monster of death and destruction! and about a story with conflict involved, I think that kinda lessens the atmosphere of being threatened constantly by giant monsters.

Also, let us not forget a level 35 dragon origins awakening hero... "the keep is in danger? what ever will we?-" *main charactor busts in with his dual swords killing everything in about one hit already. using haste, spirit warrior, and champion, he literally becomes a living wood chipper and kills everything!* "How ever will we thank you hero of... whatever?" *Hero of... selects* "You, and ogrehn, in the other room, NOW!" The main charactor of the expansion is so damn powerful in this game that if we just went here instead of defeating the final boss of the main game, you could literally kill it in a single hit with the overpowered charactor in this game. literally zero threat from anyone at all. elemenating the feeling of dread when you have to fight all the main enemies of the game.

Thankfully all of these have been insanely critisized by the gaming public and the critics. Now some games like in one of the half life episodes where your gravity gun becomes awesome, that is what a good overpowered feeling should be! make sense in the story, but still feel vulnerable if you don't pay attention.

What is your opinion on said characters that are overpowered and how they should be done better in videogames?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By napalm

Dude, what?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By donchipotle

I think that if I can make my character up to be this killing machine, more power to me. Going from weak dude to badass death machine is cool with me. I rather liked being able to one hit kill darkspawn in Awakening since it made my Warden feel like the badass Hero of the Blight he should be. Alex Mercer being super powerful made sense, at least it did for as long as I played it. I like seeing my character evolve.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Please stop making threads titles that end with "...". Also you might want to rewrite some of what you wrote because I have no idea what was your point in all of this.

Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fontan
@Napalm said:
" Dude, what? "
My thoughts exactly.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust

Dude, stay away from my overpowered characters!!! I love them! 

I think some games are meant only for them, for the main character to completely dominate the world to awesome and terrible consequences. Games like The Force Unleashed, Prototype and Infamous are example of it. If I'm a super powered god, I want to feel like one, and not like I'm struggling to reach the goals the game as set for my character.

In those games, I think that the fun factor isn't found in dificulty, but elsewhere. In the ways you can affect the world, and how those effects are displayed.
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JasonR86

I think if you spend enough time in a game to make a character over-leveled you should be allowed to do things that break the game.  It should be a reward for those dedicated enough to stay with a game that long.  If you spent enough time in Fallout 3 to reach a level high enough to punch 15 Deathclaws and 5 Supermutants in the face and not die than so be it.  That's your reward. 

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Thats the point of some characters dude and others where they eventually become overpowered is a good feeling.  I want to get to a part of some games like Fallout or Origins where I am pretty much God because I've worked hard to get to that point.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

You literally used the word "literally" way too many times in your post.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Ben99

You typed Literally seven times . I'm bored  .

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AlexW00d
@Mr_Skeleton said:
"

Please stop making threads

"
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

And why the hell are you bitching about Alex Mercer being to powerful?  That games all about punching tanks to death and hijacking helicopters by jumping on them.  THATS THE POINT!

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By gamefreak9
@JasonR86 said:
" I think if you spend enough time in a game to make a character over-leveled you should be allowed to do things that break the game.  It should be a reward for those dedicated enough to stay with a game that long.  If you spent enough time in Fallout 3 to reach a level high enough to punch 15 Deathclaws and 5 Supermutants in the face and not die than so be it.  That's your reward.  "
what he said... what i don't like is my character in ff13 being maxed and still getting one shotted, by not a boss, but a regular SPAWN!If you can't enjoy being overpowered in video games, where can you? Though i do think Alex Mercer was too much... instead of exploring a power very deeply and seeing how far it could take them, they just gave him infinite powers... which was bullshit. 
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By wrighteous86
@OneKillWonder said:

" You literally used the word "literally" way too many times in your post. "

...and incorrectly, unless there's some move in Fallout I'm not aware of where looking at an enemy kills it.

@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" I thought you were sick of all of us jerks and were going back to Gamespot. "
GameFAQs, and he's decided to continue to torment us, it seems.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McGhee

I thought you were sick of all of us jerks and were going back to Gamespot.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zeforgotten
Wasn't it "Gamefaqs" since nobody here could understand how he felt and his life and junk like that and how he's an amazing writer and.. stuff?
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AlexW00d
@ZeForgotten said:
" @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
Wasn't it "Gamefaqs" since nobody here could understand how he felt and his life and junk like that and how he's an amazing writer and.. stuff? "
Literally.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McGhee
@ZeForgotten said:
Wasn't it "Gamefaqs" since nobody here could understand how he felt and his life and junk like that and how he's an amazing writer and.. stuff? "
Oh, was it Gamefaqs? That just shows what a jerk I am. Can't even get my tauntings straight.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zeforgotten
" @ZeForgotten said:
Oh, was it Gamefaqs? That just shows what a jerk I am. Can't even get my tauntings straight. "
You jerk! 
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Slaker117
@ZeForgotten said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
Oh, was it Gamefaqs? That just shows what a jerk I am. Can't even get my tauntings straight. "
You jerk!  "
To be fair, GameSpot and GameFAQs boards are literally the same thing.
wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wrighteous86
@Slaker117 said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
You jerk!  "
To be fair, GameSpot and GameFAQs boards are literally the same thing. "
Literally.
unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By unchained

It's fun to have a character who is overpowered. Especially in the games you mentioned, Fallout 3 and Dragon Age. Considering these are characters who can progress (to a degree) as much as you see fit, it's really your own fault for making them "overpowered". If the player has the freedom and time to create a character who is powerful enough to take on very difficult opponents with ease, that's awesome and I'm grateful the developers gave me that option. 

If you don't want overpowered characters, turn the difficulty up or create a character from a more challenging class.  There are many people out there who like to feel empowered through their videogames and feel like the protagonist of a game is a badass. 
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jeffsekai
@ZeForgotten said:
NO ONE EVER UNDERSTANDS ME
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@AlexW00d said:

" @ZeForgotten said:

Literally. "
He reminds me of Lights Camera Jackson.    

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25  Edited By JasonR86
@SethPhotopoulos said:
"
@AlexW00d said:

" @ZeForgotten said:

Literally. "

"
Literally?
beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By beforet

Some of us like feeling, literally, like a God. Don't take that away from us!

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#27  Edited By Dimsey

Except when it unbalances multiplayer I'm generally fine with overpowered characters.
You think being able to PUNCH 15 deathclaws and 5 mutant overlords to death without ANY healing at all is a problem, I think it's bad ass!
There are enough games out there to play if I want a challenge, but being nigh indestructable and being able to kick the ass of all that cross my path is pretty fun too.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By beej
@Jay444111: Uh, when I've maxed out a character in falllout or oblivion I want them to be a god among men. That's half of the fun in RPG's sometimes. 
Oh and I meant that literally.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

There is this thing in the options called difficulty, you can usually slide it to the left or right...so...yeah, great thread.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
@JasonR86 said:
" @SethPhotopoulos said:
"
@AlexW00d said:

" @ZeForgotten said:

Literally. "

"
Literally? "
The literally stuff reminded me of a review of Inception he made where the quote was "Dreams within dreams within dreams, LITERALLY"  But that was a misquote looking back and now the joke doesn't work.  However when ever I read his posts the kids voice plays in my head.  The condescending, I'm correct voice.
Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Ubik
I don't think you've really thought this idea through, Jay.

Since most video games are empowerment fantasies anyway, why would you want to take out the "empowerment" part?  However, if you're still itching to know walk a mile in those under-powered characters' shoes, you could try this:

1. Find someone who's insanely good at Street Fighter, or Star Craft, or CoD, etc.
  2. Play against them.
  3. Get your ass handed to you.
  4. Savor that feeling of overwhelming defeat.
  5. Rinse, repeat, as necessary.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#32  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I like being an overpowered character. It's only so much fun being a character that need to hide behind a car and bandage the paper cut he got on his finger.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By beej
@Ubik: Hey I occasionally love getting my ass handed to me in ridiculous ways, that's why I play stalker sometimes. I just think that taking it out totally is fucking stupid. 
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Example1013

Superman would totally lose to Goku.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Slaker117

I think someone put forth the idea that you keep posting despite constantly threatening to leave because you like feeling victimized. This desire to rid games of powerful protagonists seems to fit with that theory.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ShaggE

Every time I see a new Jay thread, I simply must click it. It's like having a court jester who thinks he's a king. 

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By wrighteous86
@Slaker117 said:
" I think someone put forth the idea that you keep posting despite constantly threatening to leave because you like feeling victimized. This desire to rid games of powerful protagonists seems to fit with that theory. "
Or he's the best damn troll I've ever seen. I couldn't intentionally write or think like this if I wanted to.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By beej
@ShaggE said:
" Every time I see a new Jay thread, I simply must click it. It's like having a court jester who thinks he's a king.  "
Literally. 
Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Ubik
@beej: True.  I have a similar masochistic love for Demon's Souls; my affection for that game reminds of people who stay in abusive relationships.  

That being said, the ability to be a completely over-powered tank in a game is one of life's great pleasures.  Don't mess with a good thing.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Example1013
@Wrighteous86 said:
" @Slaker117 said:
" I think someone put forth the idea that you keep posting despite constantly threatening to leave because you like feeling victimized. This desire to rid games of powerful protagonists seems to fit with that theory. "
Or he's the best damn troll I've ever seen. I couldn't intentionally write or think like this if I wanted to. "
Like I was saying this morning.
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By McGhee
@example1013 said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
" @Slaker117 said:
Or he's the best damn troll I've ever seen. I couldn't intentionally write or think like this if I wanted to. "
Like I was saying this morning. "
Instant Giant Bomb infamy! He should pick an avatar and stick around. I'm enjoying this a lot.
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I think we've all gone to far!  Self destruct imminent!

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Slaker117
" @example1013 said:
" @Wrighteous86 said:
" @Slaker117 said:
Like I was saying this morning. "
Instant Giant Bomb infamy! He should pick an avatar and stick around. I'm enjoying this a lot. "
I feel bad for finding him amusing, but I do find him amusing. I'm happy that he hasn't actually left yet, his threads have been the most fun for the past couple of days.
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Kjellm87

There is a reason this guy never got a sequel.
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By habster3
@VelvetLore04 said:
"I think that if I can make my character up to be this killing machine, more power to me. Going from weak dude to badass death machine is cool with me. I rather liked being able to one hit kill darkspawn in Awakening since it made my Warden feel like the badass Hero of the Blight he should be. Alex Mercer being super powerful made sense, at least it did for as long as I played it. I like seeing my character evolve. "
Same here. I have absolutely no problem with reaching a new level of power after dedicating myself to a game; I don't really understand the reasoning of the OP.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By mike

I actually like becoming overpowered, especially in RPG's...case in point, using rain of fire or chain lightning in Dragon Age II on a large group of enemies and watching them all pop like watermelons filled with ground beef.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jay444111
@MB said:
"

I actually like becoming overpowered, especially in RPG's...case in point, using rain of fire or chain lightning in Dragon Age II on a large group of enemies and watching them all pop like watermelons filled with ground beef.

"

True, but it does kinda ruin the atmosphere of some videogames and their stories however, where you are basically a God in the gameplay, but in the cutscenes you are vulnerable. It wasn't the way that devs meant it to be played.

Personal opinions anyway, it just kinda ruins the expierence for me personally.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jay444111

Oh, and can the people here PLEASE stop acting like jerks for once? Please, My God, the mods here are lazy. espically considering on how much I am being harassed ON EVERY ******* BOARD!!!! and by the same people no less. Just shows ya who is the real immature kids on this site. (looks at a good 75% of posts filled with childish moronic stalkers.)
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Slaker117
@Jay444111 said:

"True, but it does kinda ruin the atmosphere of some videogames and their stories however, where you are basically a God in the gameplay, but in the cutscenes you are vulnerable. It wasn't the way that devs meant it to be played."

This is actually a good point, but I don't feel like it was an issue in any of the games you mentioned. In RDR where Marston gets downed by one shot and has to be tended to afterwards is a little ridiculous when for the rest of the game he soaks up bullets like he doesn't care and heals from gunshot wounds by simply not being shot, but that's a sacrifice you have to make to keep both story and gameplay interesting.

Oh, and you never followed through with my short story idea. I think it's a legitimately solid jumping off point.
sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sparklykiss
@Jay444111 said:
" Oh, and can the people here PLEASE stop acting like jerks for once? Please, My God, the mods here are lazy. espically considering on how much I am being harassed ON EVERY ******* BOARD!!!! and by the same people no less. Just shows ya who is the real immature kids on this site. (looks at a good 75% of posts filled with childish moronic stalkers.) "
The reason you run into these people so much is because they probably visit the Off Topic/General Discussion boards frequently or check out the latest topics link. Calling them stalkers is just silly.

" @ZeForgotten said:

Maybe the people there found him to be a jerk and kept telling him to go to Giant Bomb instead. Since you know, this is where jerks post.

And if you dare take away my ever-so-lovingly-built-up, overpowered Roland from me, I will not be a happy camper. Saying that super strong and practically almighty charactors (lololol) need to be extinct is so lame. If I wanted to be a weakling, who after all kinds of work and trials and whatnot, still doesn't get anywhere or improve at all. I wouldn't be playing video games.