I tried to get a 3DS just because I can

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By normalpants

I waited 45 minutes in my car before Best Buy opened this morning just to see if I could get 3DS and to see if there were other people doing the same thing.  I was the only person waiting for Best Buy to open, and when I finally walked inside, it looked like they had 30 or so on display, but I'm fairly certain they had more in the back-- I should have asked an employee.  I grabbed a black one and tried to decide which game to buy.  None of them looked good.  The more and more I tried to decide the less it made me want a 3DS.  I ended up putting the damn thing back on the shelf and walking out.  Thirty minutes after opening, I was still the only person in the store.  Is this a typical opening day for a Nintendo handheld? Maybe everyone is still at church...

Avatar image for championoftheworld
ChampionOfTheWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Or maybe people know if they wait a year, they'll have a better 3DS which can actually hold a charge.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sayishere

when i went to pick mine up there was noone, i think the handheld is not creating much buzz like the original DS did? that being said, i bought mine at a Supermarket which is hardly interested in gaming 

that being said, i dont regret my purchase

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By onarum
@ChampionOfTheWorld said:
" Or maybe people know if they wait a year, they'll have a better 3DS which can actually hold a charge. "
true, at least I know that's what I'm going to do.
ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By ssj4raditz

I should head over to my local BB and see if there's anyone getting it. They open in 20 minutes...

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Jayzilla

I feel the same. There is only one game that it has right now that I am interested in. THe rest of the games are reboots or children's stuff that i have zero interest in. TO me, it's a novelty item. For others it's the new hotness.

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By normalpants
@Jayzilla said:
" I feel the same. There is only one game that it has right now that I am interested in. THe rest of the games are reboots or children's stuff that i have zero interest in. TO me, it's a novelty item. For others it's the new hotness. "
Which game is that? Honestly I'm looking for any excuse to buy one but nothing in the game department is even remotely close to piquing my interest.   I'm one of the few who wouldn't be caught dead playing Street Fighter on a home console, let alone a handheld without enough buttons to play it.  I got very close to walking out with Sims 3 since I hand't played a Sims game since the first one, but I don't think I would have been able to forgive myself for paying 300 bucks to play the Sims.  
krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By krystians

There were maybe 60 people at the midnight launch. I bought one and love it. Ya the games are not the greatest, I got Pilotwings, but the purchase has not left me with no regret. LOVE IT!!!!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

We'll see what happens in a week before I make my call about this launch. I remember like a week after launch the DS was impossible to acquire, I went to like 6 different stores until I found one.  

But yeah I'm also waiting on a better version of it, and for a better catalog of games to show up. I have no real interest in the 3D outside of playing with it a bit as a gimmick, but I'm more interested in the 3DS as a follow up to the DS, which I love. And it all about the games, the DS hardware was ass, but the games were so damn good, it didn't matter. So hopefully when people get past the point of "Let's release the games we always release and then say 3D at the end of the tittle". and start making unique experiences for it, then I'm down for it. Took almost a year for the DS to get anything interesting for me.

normalpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By normalpants
@krystians said:
"I bought one and love it. Ya the games are not the greatest, I got Pilotwings, but the purchase has not left me with no regret. LOVE IT!!!! "
So you love it but you also regret it? That pretty much sums exactly how mixed I am on this whole 3DS launch in the first place.  The littlest thing could convince me to go out and buy one yet I'm utterly certain that is a horrible idea and I will surely regret it.  
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Kjellm87
@normalpants said:
" @krystians said:
"I bought one and love it. Ya the games are not the greatest, I got Pilotwings, but the purchase has not left me with no regret. LOVE IT!!!! "
So you love it but you also regret it? That pretty much sums exactly how mixed I am on this whole 3DS launch in the first place.  The littlest thing could convince me to go out and buy one yet I'm utterly certain that is a horrible idea and I will surely regret it.   "
All new consoles is scary, that is how it always goes.
Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sayishere

If you re@normalpants said:

" @krystians said:
So you love it but you also regret it? That pretty much sums exactly how mixed I am on this whole 3DS launch in the first place.  The littlest thing could convince me to go out and buy one yet I'm utterly certain that is a horrible idea and I will surely regret it.   "
If you even have the slightly doubt and regret i suggest passing on it, i was one of those people who never picked up a DS so i have a huge backlog of amazing ds games to play (yes i could of bought a regular DSI, but i didnt want to be restricted in terms of new games) so i had no regret in purchasing mine 

i think summer to the start of winter that the purchase would be more beneficial, if your interested in the NGP, they released a video of that in action, and i must say, it looks impressive, maybe opt for that instead? or even re consider purchasing 3ds during then 

its a shame theres no stand out release titles, nintendo would of benefited from that, its dumb more than anything.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By Little_Socrates
@Kjellm87 said:
" @normalpants said:
" @krystians said:
All new consoles is scary, that is how it always goes. "
I think krystians meant the purchase left him without regret. He accidentally put in a double negative, but the context his comment made it seem like he's very satisfied. 

I'M not getting one for a few months at least, as I've got a pretty large pack of DS games I never finished to begin with. My brother might be picking one up; if he does, I'll be getting Pokémon Black to play on my standard DS, which he's been borrowing to play White. Otherwise, HELLO HOT SPRINGS STORY!
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By Cube

Pretty bad for a Nintendo handheld launch. It's a bad combination all around, though. Bad games, bad battery life, bad price. No buzz.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By recroulette

The backwards compatibility killed it for me. So I'll wait until later on to pick one up.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By BrittonPeele

The original DS (and the Wii) came out right before the holiday season. I'm not at all surprised that there isn't the same sort of rush to get a million units as there was for either of those (not to mention that I think 3DS supplies are better than either of those other systems were).

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kjellm87
@samusaran253: I'm pretty sure someone is aware. To my understanding the pre-ordering skyrocket.
xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By xxNBxx

I got one today just for the fact that my DSi's shoulder buttions were broke, I traded in my DSi (which they took and gave me full value for it cause they didn't check the shoulder buttons) and a bunch of games I will never play again and only had to shell out 75 buck.  So for me it was worth it.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By DeeGee

I don't think that many people wait at stores these days when Amazon can have the thing to my house at launch day.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bybeach

SINNER! 

That or you made a wise choice, at least for the moment. I get the impression the games just arn't happening yet, and that money could go  towards a good gaming PC..not that I am pushing any bias hurk hurk.... 

The 3'D is more than a gimmick, I'm convinced. But at the end of the day, do you really want it for anything more than 'you could'. If the answer is more than in your initial explanation, than by all means do so now. Or later. 

I could afford one also, but to expend the energy would be laughable...
mattbirdy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mattbirdy1986

i picked mine up in the UK from GAME they only had 2 of the black ones left and this was the Day after Launch, got RR 3D with it, im happy so Far and the battery life isnt as bad as everyones complained about 

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By the_hiro_abides

SSF4 and that Tom Clancy strategy game looks like the most compelling reason to own a 3DS at the moment.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Lunar_Aura

You kind of know it was gonna be a lackluster launch if Nintendo had to release their dungeon women to deliver the press 3DS.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By JJOR64

When to my GameStop this morning and there wasn't anyone there.  When I was checking out, a mom and her two kids and two dudes came when I left.  I guess that's a few here in my town.  I think my Walmart may have done a midnight release for it, but I'm not sure.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bocam

There were a shitload of people at the walmart when I went to go get it

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

i didn't know that it came out today. i think it might be having to do with people not knowing. maybe a lot of people bought it online instead of going somewhere to buy it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27  Edited By crusader8463

I would take one if it was given to me, but I have no desire to buy one. When ever a new platform comes out I always wait until it has at least 4-5 games on it that I really want to play, and in the case of a Nintendo handheld I also wait for version 2.0.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28  Edited By nickux
@ChampionOfTheWorld said:
" Or maybe people know if they wait a year, they'll have a better 3DS which can actually hold a charge. "
This is my thing exactly. The EB Games near me has both colors of 3DS in stock right now but... I just don't care, really. Which is crazy to me. But between the $250 price, the shitty launch games, the weak battery, and Nintendo's legacy for redesigns, I just don't see why anybody would be crazy for one now.
C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By C0V3RT

I had one in my Amazon cart and was on the order page but couldn't pull the trigger. The battery life issue is the deal breaker but the underwhelming launch games and price don't help it's cause.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shirogane

Only people i know getting one are, my cousin, who has a pretty busted up launch Lite, and my friend, who has the original Phat DS. Both quite justified. 

Though i think it depends which store you go to, some stores will be sold out and others are gonna have heaps of stock leftover cause nobody ever goes there for this stuff.
Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By fenixrevolution

I know nothing of the current sales, but if they haven't picked up yet, they will. Honestly, given the games they've launched with, I think gamers will need more incentive to jump away from the DS which is full of quality titles. Nintendo launching this system without one of their games, ie Mario or Zelda seems like a bad idea, especially with Pokemon launching at the beginning of March. I'm going to hold off for the first redesign myself.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I got one just because I could and I love it so far. Ghost Recon is pretty damn good, but it's all about AR Games and Face Raiders.

Needle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By Needle

Some factors that may have contributed to the slow start:

The original DS came out in 2004 and sold out on the spot day one. Then, six months passed before any worthy software hit the shelves. I think (or would like to think) that game buyers are getting more savvy about this fact and holding off until the shelves fill up.

As a further point, the original DS came out while its predecessor, the GBA SP, was still in full swing. If you check sales charts, it does appear that the DS is on a decline right now, so there's not as much forward momentum driving this launch.

Similarly the original DS launched in November, a traditionally busy time for hardware sales. March hasn't seen the launch of many devices (granted the PSP's launch in 2005 was a March launch, but that handheld was a completely new competitor).

The great thing is, if you follow the original DS's 6 month game delay, that would put the 3DS's heavy game slate to hit in the fall, when the systems may end up being harder to find. By that logic, picking one up now while hype is low may actually work to your advantage by the time Thanksgiving rolls around.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By craigbo180

I was indeed at church. God does not approve of this newfangled technology.

Avatar image for championoftheworld
ChampionOfTheWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went to pick up some dog food yesterday at Wal-Mart and there were STACKS of 3DS's. It's simply not selling.