#1 Posted by projectino (27 posts) -

I've been playing videogames for as long as I can remember and for a very long time it was my number one hobby by far. But, one day it just stopped... Games just stop clicking with me and I have an incredibly hard time playing ANY game for more than 20 minutes at a time without feeling completely bored and uninterested. I can honestly say it started with Skyrim, but I don't really understand why. When the game first came out I LOVED it and was having a great time playing it, but one day I popped the game in and just lost all interest and to this day I still haven't completed it.

Ever since then I just can't get excited for a game or play games for long stretches of time. This is completely bizarre to me because I used to marathon games for 5-6 hours at a time and now I can't play more than 20 minutes without feeling like Im forcing myself.... This is incredibly depressing to me because I feel like Im slowly losing a small part of my childhood(that sounds ridiculous I know).

All that side, I want to know if anyone has any advice to remedy this gaming slump I'm going through right now. I've tried taking a break from games all together and even tried branching out to different genres to spice things up and nothing seems to work... Am I just growing out of gaming all together?

I have a ton of other hobbies that bring me joy, but I just miss the fun I used to have playing games.

Sorry that this is poorly written... I've never been great at expressing my thoughts into words... :(

#2 Edited by Pezen (1594 posts) -

I've had friends who simply stopped playing video games in favor of other things in life. Some of them recently got back into it casually and others simply didn't. So if you're not feeling it, just do your other hobbies and don't sweat it. If anything, I am sure gaming in general will be more fun once you actually feel like playing them again some day in the future.

And if not, it's no big deal. Life is too short anyway to waste on forcing yourself to enjoy things you're not enjoying out of some weird sense of duty to your past likes and dislikes.

#3 Edited by CaLe (3959 posts) -

If you have other hobbies you enjoy more then there's no problem here. You'll have to get rid of them or enjoy them less for gaming to even have a chance of meaning something to you again. Life is about balancing time and you will naturally wanna use that time doing what you enjoy most. If you get more time, or lose something that is currently taking up that enjoyment time, games can slip back in.

This non-problem is with you btw, not games. They get better all the time.

#4 Posted by kaos_cracker (579 posts) -

Happened to me. Took me about a year to start playing again, and when I do it usually isn't more that 2 hours or so, and maybe only a few times a week. What I did to get back is just want to be back in it and have fun with games, I used to get frustrated with games sometimes, but now I just enjoy playing through games as I feel I accomplish something. Also, I now enjoy playing as a reward after I feel I did really well on something in college or at work.

#5 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

I've been having the same problem lately, but its usually because there's no game to catch my interest, but soon payday 2 will drop and I'm going to be all up in dat action.

#6 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5424 posts) -

Never force yourself to do something you don't enjoy in regards to a hobby. Go ahead and take an indefinite hiatus on video games and if something grabs your interest in the future then great and If not, that's fine too. People change, as do the things they enjoy.

#7 Posted by Sjaak (7 posts) -

When you have other hobbies that make you feel happy, don't force yourself playing games. I read and watch more about games than actually playing games and I feel fine about it. Playing 6 hours in a row is really hard for me now, maybe two hours when I really want to.

#8 Edited by sonicrift (296 posts) -

It sounds crazy to me now, but I took a break from games for about a year when I was in college. Part of it must have been a lack of time and money. A dying PC and my switch to Mac played a part, too. I had all my systems hooked up, but I'd play, like, 15 minutes of Super Mario Bros. 3 or Vice City, and then I'd just turn it off and watch a movie instead.

I was a huge Metal Gear Solid fan, and I couldn't believe that a 3rd one of those had come out and I'd completely ignored it, along with all games. I felt I owed it to myself to play through it, and it had even been long enough that the thing was $20 used. That was at the tail end of the last gen, I guess, so I started playing discount bin catch-up, and I think when I got back into games, I enjoyed them more than I had before.

#9 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

If you do not have fun just don't play anymore. If you have stuff that is fun to do. Do these instead. Forcing you to try it over and over again is not helping you. Just stop playing games.

#10 Edited by Timing (619 posts) -

Have you tried Demon's Souls, Dark Souls or any Monster Hunter? These games will force you to look at and play games differently than you've probably grown accustomed to over the years. I suggest you try them.

#11 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4202 posts) -

I have a friend like that all of a sudden got into hunting rifles. "I bought this rifle for like $200, and it has a bayonet! Its illegal in the US, but its cool to look at. You could take it off, though."

But no, I haven't got tired yet. Go outside and find stuff to throw rocks at.

#12 Edited by sir_gunblade (122 posts) -

I have periods where I focus on one hobby over another. I've been playing video games for over 20 years. I got burnt out on them in 2004, and got heavy into DnD. Devil May Cry 3 brought me back. Same thing happened over this past year, and I got heavy into board games. A combo of Walking Dead, Dust and Elysian Tale, Sleeping Dogs, and Dwarf Fortress have brought me back in.

It's crazy how little video games, at least mainstream ones, evolve, and it can be easy to burn out. Going outside of your comfort zone as far as genres is good, but you may just need to switch mediums for a bit. You could also try playing old favorites with friends. Finding a game that takes dedication to get into has helped me get back into the swing of things, DMC3 and Dwarf Fortress.

#13 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@timing said:

Have you tried Demon's Souls, Dark Souls or any Monster Hunter? These games will force you to look at and play games differently than you've probably grown accustomed to over the years. I suggest you try them.

What? No.....

#14 Edited by mercutio123 (471 posts) -

The same thing has happened to me. I'm sure we've all experienced the looking at the shelf full of games and nothing is remotely interesting. But I've just fallen off it. I probably just need the kickstart of a new console generation but as I'm going to uni in 2 months I'm exploring different things in life.

Though even though I may not play them, I continue to listen to the Bombcast etc. because I just like the guys on this site

#15 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Take a break man; perhaps in a couple of months you can enjoy a game here and there again. Otherwise, trying a completely different genre might spark an interest. For example, have you tried Dark Souls, Disgaea or Yakuza?

#16 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

It happens. I've distanced myself from them almost completely, but still enjoy the occasional youtube walkthrough and of course, the Bombcast.

#17 Posted by IBurningStar (2164 posts) -

I too almost lost interest in games completely. And then I played Dark Souls and fell in love with gaming all over again. Sadly, not many other games are anywhere near as exciting and satisfying to me. I think it may just be that I find modern games do too much hand holding or are too focused on giving me a movie like experience. I liked the hands off, adventurous feel Dark Souls had. I wasn't directed where to go or what to do, the game allowed me to pick my experience and discover everything naturally. If the game had been clearer about how some of its core systems work and why things like humanity matter then I would say it is the best game of the console generation.

#18 Posted by tysonwritesel (90 posts) -

give it time... sometimes you have to be patient

#19 Posted by projectino (27 posts) -

To those suggesting Demon souls/dark souls I have actually given the series a shot and got semi back into gaming for awhile. But sadly I crashed out on that too... ive been meaning to give monster hunter a shot, but I have no platforms to play it on. My girlfriend does have a 3ds so I might give it a shot on there.

#20 Edited by SomberOwl (653 posts) -

I can honestly say it started with Skyrim, but I don't really understand why. When the game first came out I LOVED it and was having a great time playing it, but one day I popped the game in and just lost all interest and to this day I still haven't completed it.

It's the loading screens, Its what got me to stop playing. Hopefully next gen will drastically cut down load times.

#21 Posted by EternalVigil (239 posts) -

I had a year where I was looking for work and I had a lot of spare time where I played a lot of games and after a while I eventually burnt out on video games. Went of and did other things for a while. I then went back to Uni so I've been to busy to play, but I'm slowly been regaining interest, especially when games came out I liked, like Bioshock Infinite.

Give it time, go do something else for a while, and see if you want to go back in a few months time.

#22 Posted by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

I have been craving a good racing game lately but hopefully the ps plus offering of need for speed most wanted will help me fill that void but i occasionally get jaded from games but i take a break from it for a couple of days then im back in it!.

#23 Posted by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

Me too! Im going through the same thing sadly

#24 Edited by HouseOfBalloons (46 posts) -

There's been periods where I haven't turned on my console for several months. I never thought that I was losing interest in games, just didn't feel like playing them for a while. Eventually, there's gonna be a game coming out that will grab your attention and you'll find yourself playing once more. Until then, enjoy doing all the other things you love doing.

#25 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Maybe try the reverse, grab a ton of demos of games in assorted styles (or cheaper indie games). Try out the demos & see if something completely different grabs your attention more.

#26 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3201 posts) -

How about hitting up a local arcade and seeing how empty it is.

#27 Edited by Hemmelight (163 posts) -

@jimmyfenix said:

I have been craving a good racing game lately but hopefully the ps plus offering of need for speed most wanted will help me fill that void but i occasionally get jaded from games but i take a break from it for a couple of days then im back in it!.

Have you tried Forza Horizon?

It is one of my favourite games to come out in a LONG while. I was between that and Most Wanted, but I tried the demo for MW and hated it, then I bought a 360 and had a blast with Horizon. :P

edit: Just saw you mention PS Plus, sorry, didn't catch that before. If you have access to an xbox, definitely try it!

#28 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The answer is Animal Crossing.

#29 Posted by Melos (239 posts) -

Don't waste your time and energy trying to keep yourself from changing. Letting go of the past is ultimately a healthy process, and will open a lot of doors for you in life. I know that sounds like a bunch of fortune cookie schlock, but you are going to have to deal with this dilemma many times over, beyond your issue with video games. I fully empathize.

#30 Posted by believer258 (11797 posts) -

Why do you have to play video games? Just because you thought they were great at one time doesn't mean that you will constantly love them.

Give them a break for a while and when you get back into them, search for something different. Try JRPG's or RTS's or TBS's or sports games or racing games or stealth games or classic shooters or first person dungeon crawlers. Hell, if you would have told teenage me that I would have played a turn-based first-person dungeone crawler called Strange Journey for thirty hours and counting, I would have laughed at you.

#31 Posted by DrFlapjack (233 posts) -

@falserelic:

Heck yeah! I have a hard time playing games lately unless I'm co-oping with buds.

#32 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

You might benefit from trying a genre change. I am coming up on 30 this year and my tastes now are considerably different than they were 10-15 years back. I used to like long complicated RPG's with a lot of story. Now I'm mostly interested in simple games that revolve around a few finely tuned mechanics. And driving games on the simy-side of things are good too.

I no longer like games that demand a huge time investment, or prevent me from saving my progress for upwards of 30 minutes at a stretch. I won't put up with mediocre controls just to see the story unfold. Ten years ago I would have played all the way through the Last of Us at least a couple times. This year I played about 50% through and opted to watch the rest on youtube.

#33 Posted by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

@jimmyfenix said:

Have you tried Forza Horizon?

It is one of my favourite games to come out in a LONG while. I was between that and Most Wanted, but I tried the demo for MW and hated it, then I bought a 360 and had a blast with Horizon. :P

edit: Just saw you mention PS Plus, sorry, didn't catch that before. If you have access to an xbox, definitely try it!

Yeah i definitely need to play horizon. I had a blast with Forza Motorsport 2 back in the day. I will download the demo for Horizon tomorrow and check it out !. Hope forza 5 is good so i can pick it up when i eventually get a X1.