• 73 results
#1 Edited by Rebel_Scum (783 posts) -

What three games should I 'press start' with?

Keep in mind I have a 360 (regrets...sorry Sony) and assume I have played most AAA and top rated indie games on that. Also retro gaming is no problemo either as I grew up with the retro stuff.

EDIT: No strategy games, MMO's or multiplayer only games please :)

#2 Posted by TruthTellah (9484 posts) -

@rebel_scum: Do you want a game? Are you asking for Steam games?

uh... Well, it's hard to really peg down things without knowing what you're looking for. There are a heck of a lot of games on Steam. Are you just asking what the best three PC games are? A question which might implode the Internet?

In specific genres you'd be interested in playing?

#3 Edited by Pudge (925 posts) -

Audiosurf, Team Fortress 2, Dungeons of Dredmor. All cheap, all fun, and all doing things that console games don't. It's a great introduction to the service.

#4 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -

Team Fortress 2, Hotline Miami, FTL.

#5 Edited by Rebel_Scum (783 posts) -

TF2 I have with the orange box :)

@truthtellah said:

@rebel_scum:

There are a heck of a lot of games on Steam. A question which might implode the Internet?

In specific genres you'd be interested in playing?

Tbh I've never even searched the games library.

Genre wise, action/adventure, RPG, platformers (2D,3D doesn't matter), shoot em ups, horror, point and click.

If there's anything like the old Strike series on Steam I'd be up for that.

#6 Posted by MiniPato (2752 posts) -

Gemini Rue

And when you've gotten more accustomed to PC gaming, the STALKER series. Though go with STALKER: Call of Pripyat if you want the least buggy experience without having to install any mods.

#7 Edited by TruthTellah (9484 posts) -

@rebel_scum: Have you played the Witcher 2?

And I would second FTL and Gemini Rue.

#8 Edited by zFUBARz (637 posts) -

TF2 has changed alot since orange box came out, hell I think it's free now anyway so you already own it.

I'd say check out the under $10 tab, You'll find a huge number of games on sale all the time.

#9 Edited by Rebel_Scum (783 posts) -

@minipato said:

Gemini Rue

And when you've gotten more accustomed to PC gaming, the STALKER series. Though go with STALKER: Call of Pripyat if you want the least buggy experience without having to install any mods.

Gemini Rue...has an interesting ring to it.

I'm probably still looking at playing with a controller however I did grow up playing Wolf3D and Doom so what is there really to get accustomed to? Saving state every 30 secs? j/k ;P

EDIT: Stalker looks freaking good, nice pick!

@truthtellah said:

Havn't played The Witcher 2 yet. I'm probably gonna leave that and just start from The Witcher 3 when it comes out.

@zfubarz said:

TF2 has changed alot since orange box came out, hell I think it's free now anyway so you already own it.

I'd say check out the under $10 tab, You'll find a huge number of games on sale all the time.

Yeah I'll check that out after I've been given some recommendations from duders around here. As for TF2, I could never get into it but then I didn't devote much time to it either.

#10 Posted by Ares42 (2800 posts) -

Civ 5, FTL and Binding of Isaac. You're probably gonna hate all of them for being hard to get into though, but they are oh so great once you're over the hump.

#11 Edited by TruthTellah (9484 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

Havn't played The Witcher 2 yet. I'm probably gonna leave that and just start from The Witcher 3 when it comes out.

That's the craziest thing I've heard today. ha. If you haven't played the Witcher 2, you should play it. Just skipping it for W3 is like going into Empire Strikes Back and skipping A New Hope.

The Witcher 1 is good, as well, but it's a little more divisive control-wise. The Witcher 2 is a rather universally appreciated classic. And it's for cheap now. You have no reason to not play it.

#12 Edited by RPGee (763 posts) -
  • Audiosurf
  • Dota 2
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • Gemini Rue
  • Magicka
  • Civilization V
  • Surgeon Simulator 2013
  • Terraria
  • Torchlight 2
  • VVVVVV

Sorry, got a little carried away there looking through my library. But you should totally check out all of these, since they're all pretty cool.

#13 Posted by Winternet (8060 posts) -

There's so many games, that is impossible to name a few. Just go through the Steam library looking for the cheaper games. You're bound to find a few quality games there in no time.

#14 Posted by Sweep (8986 posts) -

Just wait until the steam summer sale then buy the Valve pack. Problem solved.

#15 Posted by evilrazer (498 posts) -

You want that Dota 2 invite?

#16 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@evilrazer Don't lead him down that path. He might never return...

#17 Posted by zFUBARz (637 posts) -

@rebel_scum: yeah i've never really gotten into TF2 either but it's good to have around. As for suggestions anything Total War is worth looking into if you've got an interest in strategy, and Amnesia is pretty sweet horror wise.

#18 Posted by Veektarius (5032 posts) -

Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom simulator? I still play it.

#19 Edited by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -
#20 Posted by EXTomar (4951 posts) -

I'm not sure what the question is. I hope you are not asking what you should be buying for the sake of buying.

#21 Posted by AlexW00d (6449 posts) -

Victoria 2.

#22 Posted by McTangle (157 posts) -

Great Odin's Raven! So many possibilities. Here are my choice picks:

Indie: FTL; Atom Zombie Smasher; Hotline Miami

Shooter: Counter Strike: Global Offensive; Red Orchestra 2; Left 4 Dead (1+2); Metro 2033; Spec Ops: The Line

Other: Company of Heroes 2; Hitman: Blood Money; Mark of The Ninja

#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@sweep said:

Just wait until the steam summer sale then buy the Valve pack there's a free giveaway on the forums or something. Problem solved.

NOW problem solved. (That reminds me: what happened to Gerstmas? Is that still going?)

#24 Edited by ajamafalous (12165 posts) -

@rebel_scum said:

TF2 I have with the orange box :)

Ah, so you haven't played TF2 at all, then.

#25 Posted by Laiv162560asse (486 posts) -

@rebel_scum said:

If there's anything like the old Strike series on Steam I'd be up for that.

The closest thing to the old Strike series to be released in years is Renegade Ops. One of the best games of 2011. Obviously it's multiplatform but it looks great on PC.

#26 Edited by jozzy (2035 posts) -

Think back of some stuff the crew played in QL's or other features that you thought: "Damn, I want to play that." Pick those up.

That's (one of the reasons) why this site is great right?

#27 Posted by ripelivejam (4919 posts) -

i probably went like 2 years with only the orange box on my steam.

then i saw Defense Grid was on sale for $2.50 and though "eh, why not?"

never looked back :'(

#28 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Just look on the GB forums for good games on steam to go after & wait for a steam sale that I'm expecting will hit sometime in the next few months if it's like last year.

#29 Edited by Live2bRighteous (315 posts) -

I'm just going to throw down a list of everything I've been playing for you.

Binary Domain

Max Payne 3

Kane and Lynch 2

Receiver

Cry of Fear

God Mode

GTA IV

Dues Ex: Human Revolution

I like all of them. Some, more then others. (MP3, K&L2, GTA IV to be specific.)

#30 Posted by Raven10 (1925 posts) -

Well if you haven't played any strategy games you could try some of those. The Total War series is pretty great. Galactic Civilizations is a great turn based strategy game, as are Civ IV and V. Some indie games I'd recommend are FTL, Hotline Miami, Antichamber and Amnesia. As far as shooters go, STALKER is a great choice for a PC exclusive series, and the Crysis series is loads better on PC. Evoland is interesting to play. Cool idea. No real replay value and not super long but really cool for what it is. Cart Life, To The Moon, and Kentucky Route Zero are really cool story based games. By that I mean they don't have much in the way of traditional gameplay but they tell really interesting stories.

I'd also highly recommend playing The Witcher and The Witcher 2. These are story based RPG's that build off each other. It would be like playing Mass Effect 3 without playing the first two. Yea you would have fun, but you'd miss a ton of what makes these games special. I would note that The Witcher 2 is a really horribly optimized game so if you don't have at least a semi-decent computer I would maybe hold off.

#31 Edited by Raven10 (1925 posts) -

@truthtellah: I honestly prefer the combat in the first Witcher. Anyone whose interested in the series should at least give the first game a try. The story is hard enough to follow as it is. Starting with 2 would make it even more confusing.

#32 Edited by BigJeffrey (5111 posts) -

Is it weird that I only like playing GFWL games. I'm playing GTA4 right now.

#33 Posted by Dogfisheckos (2 posts) -

Here's a code for Cave Story+

0LV9V-XK2II-NY7W4

#34 Edited by Dogfisheckos (2 posts) -

here's one for Cortex Command

V7G9Q-JYVEK-N3IKJ

Superbrothers Sword and Sorcery:

XC6GF-V8969-WPF43

Crayon Physics Deluxe:

PY8ML-6VL9F-VRBQ5

#35 Posted by Jrinswand (1711 posts) -

What three games should I 'press start' with?

Keep in mind I have a 360 (regrets...sorry Sony) and assume I have played most AAA and top rated indie games on that. Also retro gaming is no problemo either as I grew up with the retro stuff.

I've got a Dota 2 you can have if you want it.

#36 Posted by joey (987 posts) -

Faerie Solitaire

#37 Posted by Live2bRighteous (315 posts) -

@dogfisheckos: That was extremely nice of you, but you probably should have PMed that to him. Someone else probably stole those codes. :L

#38 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6405 posts) -

Just keep an eye on the daily, week-long, mid-week, and weekend sales. Their schedule breaks down roughly as follows:

Daily deals start each day at 11 A.M., GMT and last 24 hours.
Weeklong deals seem to start Mondays (though someone correct me if I'm wrong here). You won't see an advertisement for these - you'll have to look in the news feed down near the bottom of the Steam app.
Mid-week deals start Tuesdays at 11 and end by Friday.
Weekend deals start Thursdays at 11:00 and last until Monday.

Beyond that, there are numerous holiday sales throughout the year, as well as random publisher catalogue sales that usually last a few days. If you have the patience, those holiday sales are usually the best value, as they'll include lots of packs of games and the best discounts.

That said, if you want Steam games now, I'd say the following three are my all time favorites:

Civ V
Fallout: New Vegas
Space Rangers 2

There are also tons of great indie games on there, but wait for bundle deals on those.

#39 Posted by Nasos100 (727 posts) -
#40 Edited by Dalai (7074 posts) -

Play a ton of Team Fortress 2, wait until the Steam summer sale to start splurging.

• Valve complete pack
  • Audiosurf
  • World of Goo
  • Terraria
  • VVVVVV
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Anything Bit.Trip

Also, somebody will probably dump a Dota 2 key on you at some point.

#41 Posted by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

@sweep said:

Just wait until the steam summer sale then buy the Valve pack there's a free giveaway on the forums or something. Problem solved.

NOW problem solved. (That reminds me: what happened to Gerstmas? Is that still going?)

Really you don't even need to wait that long to have a chance at getting something for free, as the steamgifts thread is still going. Sure it's a mere steady drip as compared to sale season, when it's more akin to a roaring river, but it's still going.

And I thought I saw the Gerstmas thread on the front page sometime in the last couple days, so maybe?

But really if your Steam library doesn't already have hundreds of games you've never played in it your doing Steam wrong.

#42 Edited by Rebel_Scum (783 posts) -

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll just add these replies and let you know what sounds good to me from your recommendations. Again the whole idea was for people to recommend me games that I wouldn't have already played on 360. So if its been released on 360 or XBLA please assume that I've played it. Also I should mention that I don't really play strategy games or MMO's.

@pudge: @rpgee: @dalai: Audiosurf

@dogfisheckos: Cortex Command & Cave Story

@mariachimacabre: @mctangle: @raven10: Hotline Miami, also Antichamber, Amnesia, To The Moon from Raven10

@zfubarz: Amnesia

@extomar: No, if I was like that I would have a steam library backlog of 50+ like any other maniac

@truthtellah: Yeah well I did that with Assassins creed recently (playing through all to get the story) and it really burnt me out of the series. I don't want to ruin The Witcher 3 by playing the first two in the short span of time before release. Since I'm not invested story wise yet its not gonna really matter.

#43 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@pyromagnestir:

Mine doesn't even have a hundred games! I could bump it up to 100 if I included my Desura stuff, though.

#44 Edited by Snail (8662 posts) -

@rebel_scum: Regardless of whether or not you bought the Orange Box for the 360, you should still give Team Fortress 2 on the PC a try. The PC version of Team Fortress 2 has been heavily updated over the years, and features a lot more items and maps, including a co-op mode that pits players against waves of robot enemies.

It's free-to-play. Give it a shot.

#45 Edited by SMTDante89 (2588 posts) -

@rebel_scum: If you want it, I have a copy of the first Poker Night game that I got for free for pre-ordering the second game that just released. I already have a copy of the first and just want to give it to someone that might want it. You can win some free TF2 items in the game as well.

#46 Posted by Rebel_Scum (783 posts) -

@snail: Yeah but I never liked the game in the first place. Multiplayer isn't really my thing.

#47 Edited by Daveyo520 (7009 posts) -

When you have it for 8 you will get a ton. Trust me. Also want a Dota 2 key?

#48 Edited by believer258 (12212 posts) -

@rebel_scum: Has anybody asked what your computer's specs are? Not just any computer will run any game.

#49 Edited by Nightriff (5367 posts) -

Hotline Miami, FTL, Civ 5

#50 Edited by Raven10 (1925 posts) -

@rebel_scum said:

@truthtellah: Yeah well I did that with Assassins creed recently (playing through all to get the story) and it really burnt me out of the series. I don't want to ruin The Witcher 3 by playing the first two in the short span of time before release. Since I'm not invested story wise yet its not gonna really matter.

I don't think The Witcher 3 is supposed to hit until next year. There is also a big difference from Assassin's Creed. In that series pretty much every game, especially the middle three, are almost exactly the same from a gameplay perspective. The Witcher on the other hand plays completely differently from The Witcher 2. They are in the same series from a story perspective only. Pretty much every aspect of gameplay was greatly changed from the first to second game. The combat especially might as well be from two different series. The first focuses on rhythm based swings, mixing things up with spells and using potions, oils, and bombs when needed. In the second game combat is based on a two button combo system similar to a console action game. You can't use potions or oils during battle so combat is more about preparing for what is ahead compared to the first game which was more about responding to threats as they occurred. Trust me when I say that you will have no issue playing both games in a row if you so choose, but you could also split them apart by a couple months and still have plenty of time before the third game came out.