#1 Posted by Mark (84 posts) -

It was basically a lead-up to Fez.

It took me a while to find, originally I was just looking for how old he was, because he said something crazy in Indie Game the Movie. Thing is, I find it fascinating, with him talking about things from 2004-2007 from a few different points of view and how he landed on making Fez.

I'd like to avoid the bashing, but really:

Anyone around these parts know of Fish during the last 8 years? I'm sad to not have anyone to discuss this with.

Anyone know of any good blogs/journals/whatever of someone creative that leads up to their, uh, magnum-opus?

#2 Posted by TheHumanDove (2498 posts) -

This year long quest ended with you discovering his journal?

#3 Posted by ch3burashka (4991 posts) -

I'd like to imagine you snuck into his bedroom while he was out and stole his diary. The one with the voice-activated lock.

Also, a few pairs of underwear.

But really, what? What's this journal you're referring to? A blog of some sort? Because I'd like to look at that, maybe finally understand what his exact diagnosis is.

PS Totally nice of him fucking the rest of Polytron, the few that were employed. It's one thing to quit your own gig - it's another to leave your dawgs in the cold.

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

PS Totally nice of him fucking the rest of Polytron, the few that were employed. It's one thing to quit your own gig - it's another to leave your dawgs in the cold.

If anyone in the world can understand why he might get out of it all, it's those people working with them. I feel bad that the Internet's mob mentality and media sensationalism eventually screwed them out of their jobs. They've watched Fish be beat up for years, and it's little surprise to them why this might be the best decision for his life.

(Also, I'm pretty sure they're still going to be making Fez 2. They're just taking a much-needed break from the public eye.)

#6 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

@mark: You can find extensive blogging by the team behind Bastion, the man behind Dust: An Elysian Tail, and Team Meat.

#7 Posted by ryanwhom (290 posts) -

@ch3burashka said:

If anyone in the world can understand why he might get out of it all, it's those people working with them. I feel bad that the Internet's mob mentality and media sensationalism eventually screwed them out of their jobs. They've watched Fish be beat up for years, and it's little surprise to them why this might be the best decision for his life.

(Also, I'm pretty sure they're still going to be making Fez 2. They're just taking a much-needed break from the public eye.)

Fish pulled the trigger, nobody "forced" him to leave his company hanging in the wind. He made a choice. You want to make him a victim, fine, but let's not put ownership of his shitty choices on other people. As the lead creative, he could have allowed a bit of professional courtesy. He decided to take his toys and leave and fuck everyone no warning. That's on him.

#8 Posted by ch3burashka (4991 posts) -

@ch3burashka said:

They might understand it, but considering they were just as surprised as everyone else was when they found out (as in, they found out from blogs rather from him), it's still a dick move on his part.

And yes, they'll still make it, once Fish comes back from his spirit journey. I wish him well, in the sense that he gets well and stops being an asshole.

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

@ryanwhom said:

@truthtellah said:

@ch3burashka said:

Fish pulled the trigger, nobody "forced" him to leave his company hanging in the wind. He made a choice. You want to make him a victim, fine, but let's not put ownership of his shitty choices on other people. As the lead creative, he could have allowed a bit of professional courtesy. He decided to take his toys and leave and fuck everyone no warning. That's on him.

Yeah, he wasn't "forced" out; in the same way an abortion clinic isn't "forced" to shutdown by fanatical protesters ceaselessly harassing them until they can barely function. The mob may not "force" a business to shutdown through constant intimidation, but it might make sense for the business to shutdown. And someone doesn't -have to- leave an abusive relationship, as they can stick around if they still want to get beat up, but it doesn't mean they don't have plenty of reason to do so.

Fish is an unlikable fellow to many people, and he certainly puts his opinions out there without enough self-censorship that many would prefer. But the most disturbing aspect of all of this has been the level of unending hate and heartlessness poured onto him and anyone like him. No one is "forced" to leave gaming by hateful mobs, but they are certainly given good reason to think they might be happier just about anywhere else.

Fish is just one man in gaming, and while there might be concerns over what he says sometimes, he's still just a small fish in the sea. It's the uncaring and often vindictive masses within gaming which represent a much bigger concern. Gamers aren't affected by Fish every day, but we certainly have to deal with the more repugnant subset of the gaming community every day. That's what bothers me the most about all of this, and it bears much greater concern for the future of gaming.

#11 Posted by jerseyscum (861 posts) -

February 12th: Went to Tim Hortons. Ordered a coffee.

March 9th: Cried in the employee bathroom again.

#12 Posted by Mark (84 posts) -

@jerseyscum: He talked about dancing in-between those dates. Lots.

#13 Posted by jerseyscum (861 posts) -

May 7th: Went shopping again for trendy eyeware. For inspiration.

June 9th: Drank a bottle of Crown Royale. Rewatched Indie Game: The Movie. Sent weepy voicemails to Johnathan Blow.

August 1st: Mailed white powder to Marcus Beer's house.

#14 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4578 posts) -

Fez II is actually a ARG where we have to go through Fish's journals and mementos and find out where he disappeared to. Like a cross between Carmen Sandiego and Majestic.

#15 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2527 posts) -

No matter what you think of his attitude or his games, I think we can all agree the man is damn sexy. Those mutton chops and those glasses are very imposing. We should not treat him like a piece of meat; but, admit it, he is damn sexy.

...Well I left home just a week before
And I'd never ever played and Indie game before
But Phil Fish smiled and took me by the hand
And said dear boy I'm gonna make you a FEZ man

Well I'm not the world's most masculine man
But I know what I am and I'm glad I'm a man
And so is Phil Fish
Fee-Fii-Philly-Fishy Phil Fish
Fee-Fii-Philly-Fishy Phil Fish
Fee-Fii-Philly- Fish Fee-Fii-Philly-Fish

#16 Edited by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

@truthtellah: You realize that there's a big difference between having people forming a picket line outside your door and having people talking trash about you on a website you don't have to go to, right?