#1 Posted by DarkbeatDK (1284 posts) -

So, here in The Year of Luigi there has been a lot of talk of women and video games.

I don't really want to open the whole can of worms on that subject, but rather take a look at some otome games that have been coming out in the west this year.

It's mainly thanks to Aksys who has been releasing these title in collaboration with Otomate, but with with very little media coverage apart from a few written reviews here and there. For this reason I thought I'd take it upon myself to put some video on the internet about two of them, despite not quite being in the target demographic:

Here's Sweet Fuse: at your side.

And here is Hakuoki: Warriors of the Shinsengumi

#2 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3740 posts) -

An entire game mechanic about starting fights and getting men to apologize to you?! That's priceless!

I was laughing so hard that I had tears in my eyes.

#3 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac said:

An entire game mechanic about starting fights and getting men to apologize to you?! That's priceless!

I was laughing so hard that I had tears in my eyes.

That is really sexist,...

But joke aside. I only played one Otome game so far I think. It w called. Yo-Jin Bo The bodyguards and if I can remember correctly I really liked that one.

#4 Edited by Karmosin (214 posts) -

Played sweet fuse some time ago and I thought it was quite a charming little game. I had hoped that it could've gone a route more in the VLR fashion with the puzzles though, a little more interactivity you know. It's pretty cheesy, but whatever, it's all in the name of feelgood. Love some of the music too, shame you can't find it anywhere on the web.

#5 Posted by Hailinel (24809 posts) -

I've bought Sweet Fuse and the PSP and 3DS versions both of Hakuoki Demon of the Fleeting Blossom/Memories of the Shinsengumi. Haven't had a chance to start Sweet Fuse yet, but Hakuoki is pretty cool, even if it is a romance visual novel about vampires. I'd love it if someone would localize Princess Arthur, though, because that game's premise sounds amazing.

#6 Posted by DarkbeatDK (1284 posts) -

There was a chart topper in Japan recently called Uta no ☆ Prince-Sama: Music 2, which sold three times as much as Splinter Cell: Blacklist that was released in the same week, which certainly says something about the popularity of the genre in the East.

It's an rhythm game with a bunch of hot dudes, neither of them who are Prince, which seems a bit misleading to me. It is based off a long-running series of PSP Visual Novels with it's own anime series and everything.

According to YouTube it's even known in Sweden, so maybe one of the games in the series will eventually get localized for the West?