#1 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

I've really enjoyed a few handheld titles in my past, especially when I was a kid, but I've never truly been a game player that has cared for the platform as a main source of gaming. It's most definitely not been my sole platform, but my Vita and 3DS (as well as the Neo Geo X (yeah)) have pretty much been my go to systems so far this year. It's main due to my lifestyle at the moment, with college and work and many family outings that I've found the convenience favorable; but I still have absolutely loved Persona 4, Sound Shapes, 999 (thanks GB community for that one), Crimson Shroud, Kid Icarus: Uprising and I still have Fire Emblem: Awakening and Etrian Odyssey and Virtues Last Reward to get into. So have you been interested in these handhelds recently, if not, what area of gaming has been your go-to this year?

#2 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

I see no problem with this. The 3DS alone is a great little system. I don't think I've spent half as much time on another system as I have on my 3DS this year.

#3 Posted by Chop (1965 posts) -

Yup, me too. The 3DS has been stellar this year.

#4 Posted by Nightriff (4349 posts) -

Same, mainly cause I can't play as much at home so I play in between classes or at work when it is slow

#5 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

@fancysoapsman: The "What's up with that?" wasn't a statement of questioning, it was a reference to Superbrothers for the iPad that I thought fit and was wondering if anyone would get.

#6 Posted by GunstarRed (4733 posts) -

I think I have played with my 3DS more than both the 360 and PS3 combined in the last couple of years.

#7 Posted by StarFoxA (5123 posts) -

Yeah, I just picked up a 3DS and I've been sinking some serious hours into that thing. Now I'm kinda interested in getting a Vita too to complement it, although I'm not convinced that system has enough exclusives to warrant a purchase.

#8 Posted by jewunit (1051 posts) -

I got a PSP not too long ago. I have played Corpse Party, The Power Stone Collection, Gitaroo Man, Blood Bowl, and Persona 2 on it. The system battery is a little short, but the games have generally been excellent.

#9 Edited by Leafhopper (227 posts) -

I noticed the last few years, this generation in particular that we are about to leave, that the handheld library, in my opinion has been some of the most fun I have had with most of the home consoles.

#10 Edited by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

@leafhopper: For me, it's been the RPG's game bevy of unique experiences. It seems as though with Microsoft and Sony messing around with the Kinect and Move which arguably didn't go anywhere, all the while, the handhelds were pumping out quality role-playing experiences that were all about the game-play and experience and for the most part, devoid of gimmicks.

#11 Posted by Leafhopper (227 posts) -

@mrpilkington: I completely agree with you on that. RPGs, in my opinion, have been much better in recent years on handhelds than the home consoles.

Sadly everything needs a gimmick now a days apparently.

#12 Posted by Wheady (106 posts) -

yea, some people r surprised when i tell them i play handhelds at home. i guess they r mostly looked at as something to play every once and awhile, not as a primary console. but there r plenty of high quality games out there for handhelds, so i could see how u could focus on those instead of other home consoles

#13 Posted by oldenglishC (859 posts) -

It's been the same with me the past couple of years.

If RPGs are your thing, handhelds are where it's at this generation. Looking at the games scheduled so far for the rest of the year, that isn't going to change anytime soon.

#14 Posted by believer258 (11047 posts) -

It should be noted that the handhelds are the place for JRPG's. Western ones are still best played on the PC.

Also, I have really been playing my 3DS lately as well. Thank you, Atlus!

#15 Posted by awesomeusername (4057 posts) -

I don't sink as much time onto my Vita as I'd like to but I really love it and some of the games for it are great like Gravity Rush, Frobisher Says!, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Sound Shapes, Retro City Rampage, Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, Persona 4 Golden, When Vikings Attack!, etc. etc. It's what I use for my Cross-Buy indie titles also. Indie games feel a million times better on it then on PS3 and I'm glad more indie titles are coming to it. If Bioshock Infinite didn't come out, I wouldn't have broken my "April is my Vita month!" promise.

#16 Edited by CaskStrength (14 posts) -

Add me to the list, loving my 3DS this year. Fire Emblem: Awakening, Etrian Odyssey IV, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate have actually made me look forward to my commute.

#17 Edited by casper_ (882 posts) -

vita is becoming a cool little system as well.

#18 Edited by bgdiner (249 posts) -

I read the thread title in Kenan Thompson's voice. Thumbs up if you agree