• 51 results
#1 Edited by sthusby (382 posts) -

I just want a huge ass open world game in the vein of Red Dead Redemption. Setting and stuff isn't really important, but not something as shallow as Far Cry 2 for instance. Oh, and I want it for the current gen consoles, so no more Morrowind for instance. And for the record, I love that game!

Games I've played: Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed 1, 2, Brotherhood, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, GTA IV, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Fable 2, 3., inFamous, Saboteur.

Please help me, I want that feeling I got when first playing those games!

Edit: I've also played the shit out of the Mass Effects and Dragon Age, but those aren't open world, at least not what I consider open world.

#2 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

Crackdown? Not really many others I can think off I'm afraid.

#3 Edited by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

Just Cause 2 is a good pick from what I've heard.

#4 Posted by FreakAche (2951 posts) -

Batman Arkham Asylum has a pretty good open world. Also, Prince of Persia 2008 is a good one I've been playing through recently.

#5 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

Just Cause 2. Played some earlier tonite and it was great fun. Just driving around going mental off ramps in cars and blowing things up. 

It's great on a good PC. I dunno about consoles. Might be good.

#6 Posted by fazzle (302 posts) -

Saints Row 2?  It's not exactly what you would call...refined, but it is full of crazy off the wall fun shit to do.

#7 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1260 posts) -

Well, there's not too many left for you to choose. 

Off the top of my head I can only think of Prototype, Infamous, Mafia 2, Just Cause 2, The Saboteur, and GTA IV DLC.

#8 Edited by sthusby (382 posts) -

All those games are games that are open just for the heck of it. I want something with some real substance. Like in Red Dead, you can go hunting and stuff like that. Or when in GTA you do the Vigilante stuff or hang with your buddys.

#9 Posted by nukesniper (1312 posts) -
@sthusby: Saints Row 2 is my best recommendation. I love that game in 2 player coop. Also, it is stupid ridiculous, but yet it goes pretty serious at a couple points. It is just a fun fun game. I have spent over 100 hours with Saints Row 2, and I couldn't be happier.

Just Cause 2 was fun of what I've played as well. ^ 

Burnout Paradise is an open world driving game. Kind of joking suggesting it, but come on. That game rocks.
#10 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -
@the_hiro_abides said:
" Well, there's not too many left for you to choose.   Off the top of my head I can only think of Prototype, Infamous, Mafia 2, Just Cause 2, The Saboteur, and GTA IV DLC. "

Played all those expect Mafia 2, which does seem interesting. Is there a day/night cycle and stuff?
#11 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -
@sthusby said:
" All those games are games that are open just for the heck of it. I want something with some real substance. Like in Red Dead, you can go hunting and stuff like that. Or when in GTA you do the Vigilante stuff or hang with your buddys. "
inFAMOUS then, maybe?
#12 Posted by csl316 (8359 posts) -

Go with Red Faction: Guerilla.  That game's unbelievable fun and it's pretty smartly designed.  Watch the Quick Look, although it only shows a single mission.  The Demon of the Badlands video is good as well, but has some spoilers.

#13 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

Just Cause 2 
Without question.
#14 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -
@csl316: @csl316 said:
" Go with Red Faction: Guerilla.  That game's unbelievable fun and it's pretty smartly designed.  Watch the Quick Look, although it only shows a single mission.  The Demon of the Badlands video is good as well, but has some spoilers. "
Sure it's a good game, but do you really feel it is in the vein of Red Dead? I sure don't. I want substance and side activities, like the jobs in Fable for instance. I know, I'm picky as hell.
#15 Posted by csl316 (8359 posts) -
@sthusby: Personally, I do.  There's plenty of side stuff to do, including missions or collectibles, and the main missions are intense.  I've also sunk hours into the game just screwing around.  You can also upgrade weapons and get new abilities as you go, so there's a sense of progression.

Maybe the story isn't as in depth, but it's some of the most fun I've had with an open world game this generation.
#16 Posted by BaneFireLord (2918 posts) -

Just Cause 2 is a definite.

#17 Posted by JoeyRavn (4961 posts) -

Erhm, Minecraft? I know it has nothing to do with RDR, but you can do a lot of things and it's as "open-worlded" as it gets. Also, if you don't mind oldies, Fallout 1 and 2 are awesome. And if you liked Oblivion, Morrowind is great (and you can make it look like similar to a current-gen game with mods on PC!).

#18 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@csl316 said:
" Go with Red Faction: Guerilla.  That game's unbelievable fun and it's pretty smartly designed.  Watch the Quick Look, although it only shows a single mission.  The Demon of the Badlands video is good as well, but has some spoilers. "
Gah, that game bored me after a little while. All I was doing was blowing things up every mission. I don't k now if it gets different later or not.
#19 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5814 posts) -

Gothic I and II

It's not current gen, but it's huge.

#20 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Do NOT get Mafia 2. 

Just Cause 2 would be a good choice. So would Red Faction Guerilla. Fallout: New Vegas isn't all bad, either.

#21 Posted by sthusby (382 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" Erhm, Minecraft? I know it has nothing to do with RDR, but you can do a lot of things and it's as "open-worlded" as it gets. Also, if you don't mind oldies, Fallout 1 and 2 are awesome. And if you liked Oblivion, Morrowind is great (and you can make it look like similar to a current-gen game with mods on PC!). "
Played the crap out of Morrowind, loved it even more than Oblivion. Especially the Bloodmoon package was great. And that's kind of what I'm looking for. That huge open game where you just want to go to the nearest tavern when the night falls. Sit by the campfire and stuff like that.
#22 Posted by csl316 (8359 posts) -
@CL60: I dunno, everyone I've gotten to play it loved it.

If you play on hard the combat gets super tactical and intense.  Later on it gets pretty difficult, and I found that strategy was a lot more effective than sledgehammering everyone.  The different missions and restricted challenges made you approach the game a different way, putting different spins on the game.  Plus the multiplayer was fun, especially the competitive modes where you take turns demolishing stuff for high scores.

I can see it getting repetitive if you don't like the core gameplay, though.  But since I loved the feel of the shooting I had a damn good time throughout.

That's what demos are for, I guess.
#23 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -

Stalker, Just Cause 2 and Red Faction Guerilla

#24 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
@sthusby: Word of advice: Do not play Mafia 2 for it's open world.
#25 Posted by Moth_Pope (454 posts) -

Have to echo Saints Row 2. One of the best games on the 360 for me. Played the whole thing single player, then again co-op. Just Cause 2 is great, so I'd recommend that too. Haven't finished it, mind... but it's still awesome.

#26 Posted by eagles_band (159 posts) -

Risen and Gothic 3 for PC. Yea, there's bugs, but game is really open and looks amazing. 

#27 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

S.T.A.L.K.E.R., is it on consoles? I think its on consoles.

#28 Posted by natetodamax (19191 posts) -

Just Cause 2 is amazing; I highly recommend it. Just don't go for the collectables unless you hate yourself.

#29 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1260 posts) -
@sthusby:  I wouldn't recommend Mafia 2. For one, I haven't played it. I was on the fence about it when it came out until the reviews said there was absolutely nothing to do besides main story missions. So unlike how fleshed out and random RDR is, Mafia 2 is not. 
#30 Posted by jonteehx (1 posts) -
@sthusby said:
" All those games are games that are open just for the heck of it. I want something with some real substance. Like in Red Dead, you can go hunting and stuff like that. Or when in GTA you do the Vigilante stuff or hang with your buddys. "
It´s a game comming out in June 2011... It seems really cool. True crime:Hong Kong.  Its a greate story and your an undercover cop, trying to get deep in hong kongs mafia to get as much information as possible. 

When roaming, Its cool. Your a cop. So its minigames where you like gets reported if something has happend. So can you drive there to arrest the ppl, and try to be a good cop. Also its a cool melee system in the game. Where the fighting is fenomenal. And there is a very greate Free running system in th game that lets you move fast in the big city and take some shortcuts.  Also some ppl from need for speed is working on it. So its a really good game for driving as well.  

Check out some trailers: Heres for free running and driving:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb4qMpO7JPY  Here for the fighting:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L6aniAU2iE  Here for all the amazing stuff:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8vM6Fv3Upo       Here is the official trailer:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWagXEnK-2o   And heres an unrealesed trailer that my friend got and uploaded:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odLqbBykT5M
#31 Posted by Badhands (399 posts) -

Just cause 2 is great.

#32 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 

#33 Edited by Mikemcn (6968 posts) -

Just Cause 2 is amazing, play it now. It has the biggest open world i've every played in, and its pretty as well as interesting with lots of cool easter eggs and places to go to/jump off.  

@Aronman789 said:

" S.T.A.L.K.E.R., is it on consoles? I think its on consoles. "
Not on consoles yet, the next one should be though. 
#34 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

D&DO? I heard it's basically pen-and-paper D&D, but...y'know...a video game.

#35 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -

Hahaha. Not to necro, but this amused me because of how close to the Skyrim announcement this thread was. You ask, they deliver.

#36 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5373 posts) -

Assassin's creed 4 Black flag is pretty good. I've really been enjoying sailing and fighting on the high seas.

#37 Edited by believer258 (11775 posts) -

@jonteehx said:

@sthusby

said:

It´s a game comming out in June 2011... It seems really cool. True crime:Hong Kong. Its a greate story and your an undercover cop, trying to get deep in hong kongs mafia to get as much information as possible.

When roaming, Its cool. Your a cop. So its minigames where you like gets reported if something has happend. So can you drive there to arrest the ppl, and try to be a good cop. Also its a cool melee system in the game. Where the fighting is fenomenal. And there is a very greate Free running system in th game that lets you move fast in the big city and take some shortcuts. Also some ppl from need for speed is working on it. So its a really good game for driving as well.

Check out some trailers: Heres for free running and driving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb4qMpO7JPY Here for the fighting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L6aniAU2iE Here for all the amazing stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8vM6Fv3Upo Here is the official trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWagXEnK-2o And heres an unrealesed trailer that my friend got and uploaded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odLqbBykT5M

Hey, this is what became Sleeping Dogs. Wound up being a really, really good game, too.

#38 Posted by Veektarius (4746 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs.

#39 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

Ummm Skyrim??

#40 Posted by wewantsthering (1564 posts) -

Ummm Skyrim??

Exactly. You liked the two previous Elder Scrolls games. lol It will be 75% off at some point this week on Steam so keep an eye out for that.

#41 Posted by ShaggE (6402 posts) -
#42 Posted by Budwyzer (566 posts) -

The game of LIFE? And no, not the board game. If you want to go hunting, go hunting. If you're wanting to go round up cattle, go round up cattle.

You seem like the kind of person that would pour thousands of hours into a Sims game, and tell people about how "your Sim father is a big shot scientist and discovered the cure for cancer" and "your Sim wife is a smoking hot cover model for Low Riders magazine" and "your Sim child is getting bumped up a grade in school because you make sure to put forth that extra effort into his/her life" all the while completely ignoring and half-assing your own life. Letting your career die, settling for the first girl that would have sex with you, and letting your child go unattended and unloved.

Just sayin', you want open-world? Open the front door and walk through it.

#43 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -
#44 Posted by planetfunksquad (410 posts) -
#45 Posted by HellBound (1066 posts) -

I want an open world game where the money I earn in game gets transferred into my real bank account.

#47 Posted by wewantsthering (1564 posts) -
#48 Posted by HellBound (1066 posts) -

@shagge said:

@guesty_01: @wewantsthering: Skyrim wasn't out when he made this thread.

Wow, just realized this was made years ago. Seems like I am not the only one that did not read the date...

#49 Edited by wjb (1653 posts) -

After almost three years, this guy is still looking for an open-world game.

GO IN THE FUTURE AND GET SAINTS ROW 3, DUMMY.

Also, this thread began a month after the Skyrim announcement, so...good necro, bro.

#50 Posted by csl316 (8359 posts) -

Well, 3 years ago I recommended Red Faction: Guerilla in this thread, and I still stand by that.