• 122 results
#1 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

Based on what Ive seen between the two, my gut tells me to go with playstation but it seems that all my mates are getting the xbox meaning I won't be able to play with them on the next gen. Do you think this is a good enough reason to go for the xbox one? Im not looking to start a fanboy bitchfest so please be nice! :P

#2 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

You game where your friends game, especially if you're a big social multiplayer/co-op person. My gamer friends are leaning on the xbox like me so I don't have to worry about this issue but if they all went PS4 I'd get a PS4 as well

#3 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Give them the finger

#4 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

@supamon: exactly. I think if i just played mp without friends on the ps4 i would be pretty miserable.

#5 Edited by VoleMaulder (63 posts) -

Find new friends that will go for a PS4, that'll show 'em! :P

Seriously, though, it all comes down to how important co-op or multiplayer with your friends is for you. If that's where your priorities lie, then, the answer is obvious. If not, go with your gut.

#6 Posted by Ransnack (18 posts) -

Personally I do not think it's a good enough reason. There isn't even a good enough reason to buy the xbox one in the first place, it has weaker hardware and is 100$ more expensive.

#7 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

@volemaulder: the thing is they havent presented reasons that convince me to get the xbox. One friend is getting it just for ryse, another is getting it just for halo and another is getting it just to keep his gamerscore and launch lineup looks better but honestly they arent very convincing reasons for me. Thing is if i go for ps4 i hope i dont regret it, tho chances of regretting any console are slim since they both seem like good systems anyway.

#8 Posted by isomeri (1244 posts) -

Buy the system which has the games you're interested in. Having different consoles among friends has never been such a big deal in my opinion, and we've even traded consoles from time to time so that I could for example play all the good exclusives on the GameCube while lending my Xbox to a friend.

#9 Edited by Kidavenger (3527 posts) -

Any particular reason your friends are leaning towards XB1?

#10 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

@ransnack: this is why im more compelled towards ps4

#11 Posted by Ransnack (18 posts) -

So why exactly do your friends want it ? And are you sure they won't budge if you try to convince them otherwise ?

What games do you guys even like to play in general.

#12 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

@kidavenger: " @volemaulder: the thing is they havent presented reasons that convince me to get the xbox. One friend is getting it just for ryse, another is getting it just for halo and another is getting it just to keep his gamerscore and launch lineup looks better but honestly they arent very convincing reasons for me. Thing is if i go for ps4 i hope i dont regret it, tho chances of regretting any console are slim since they both seem like good systems anyway". They dont really believe me that the ps4 is more powerful and they are convinced that cloud computing is something that will make the xbox more powerful than the ps4

#13 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1237 posts) -

Most of my friends are more interested in the PS4, but my one friend wants to get an Xbox One since his friends at college all play xbox together and they don't really do research when it comes to games (they only play CoD). I am going with PS4 anyway for now since the only reason I would want an Xbox One is Titanfall and that is a timed exclusive.

#14 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

@ransnack: tried convincing them but theyre pretty dug in. I play most games i dont just stick with COD etc.

#15 Posted by probablytuna (3600 posts) -

Get better friends.

Seriously though, if you play games predominately with your friends and they're going Xbone then I guess you have no choice.

#16 Edited by isomeri (1244 posts) -
@ransnack said:

@krazy_kyle said:

So why exactly do your friends want it ? And are you sure they won't budge if you try to convince them otherwise ?

I would strongly advice against pushing your consumer choices on others. I've had friends telling me how wrong I am to pre-order an Xbox One when "the PS4 is clearly the only console anyone could want". That shit gets really annoying really fast. I mean it's totally OK and really interesting to talk about the differences of the consoles but don't try to push your agenda too much.

#17 Edited by VoleMaulder (63 posts) -

@krazy_kyle said:

@volemaulder: the thing is they havent presented reasons that convince me to get the xbox. One friend is getting it just for ryse, another is getting it just for halo and another is getting it just to keep his gamerscore and launch lineup looks better but honestly they arent very convincing reasons for me. Thing is if i go for ps4 i hope i dont regret it, tho chances of regretting any console are slim since they both seem like good systems anyway.

Yeah, I wouldn't call these reasons convincing, either. Especially considering the price difference. Plus, like you said, at this point it doesn't seem all that likely that you'd regret getting a PS4. In any case, I would wait until Gamescom before making any final decisions. Maybe they'll show something there that's gonna make your friends' case more convincing, or easier for you to convince them to get a PS4 instead.

You should also consider the fact that having a different console from your friends could mean that none of you would miss any exclusives, which is a plus on the side of you getting a PS4.

#18 Posted by Ransnack (18 posts) -

@ransnack: tried convincing them but theyre pretty dug in. I play most games i dont just stick with COD etc.

If they are into shooting games then consoles are a dumb choice to begin with. You can't really get a good FPS experience on a console.

#19 Edited by Ransnack (18 posts) -

@isomeri said:
@ransnack said:

@krazy_kyle said:

I would strongly advice against pushing your consumer choices on others. I've had friends telling me how wrong I am to pre-order an Xbox One when "the PS4 is clearly the only console anyone could want". That shit gets really annoying really fast. I mean it's totally OK and really interesting to talk about the differences of the consoles but don't try to push your agenda too much.

Talking about it and informing them about things they may not know is not exactly pushing an agenda.

#20 Posted by jimmyfenix (3851 posts) -
#21 Posted by markini6 (445 posts) -

I'm getting a PS4, but maybe you should just go with the flow and pick up a PS4 a couple of years down the road after a potential price drop, enjoying multiplayer with your friends on the Xbox in the mean time.

#22 Posted by Winsord (1199 posts) -

It's too situationally sensitive to be able to give a good answer. For as much as I enjoy playing co-op with some friends, I wouldn't get the console I'm less interested in so I can play a game I don't really like with them. Do you weigh playing Ryse and Halo with friends as being more important than the platform you're on and the exclusives you'll get? Personally I'd just stick with the platform I wanted, but depending on how often you guys play together and how much that experience matters to you, you may be better off getting the Xbox One. Would there ever be any chance of your friends wanting to switch platforms down the line, or does it seem like more of a brand affinity thing than a level-headed decision?

#23 Edited by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

@krazy_kyle: If you get a PS4 you might be able to convince your friends to do the same. $100 is a big deal in terms of price.

Also Ryse looks like it's going to be shit. I know I know, don't judge a game until it comes out but if we're all honest with ourselves we're pretty accurate when it comes to judging games based only on trailers and previews.

#24 Edited by Karkarov (3056 posts) -

Your friends reasons are pretty much crap. One guy cares about an exclusive.... the other two are just silly. Gamerscore? Really?

Give it time and wait for the exclusives to start showing up, then do research and find out how exclusive those exclusives really are. When you are closer to release date make your decision. Personally though there is no good reason to get an Xbone right now unless you just love gears of war, halo, or think Titanfall is the greatest thing ever. Though frankly I can't understand why people are not done with cover shooters and halo by now, they have been run into the ground.

#25 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

The thing is i dont think any of them are getting the xbox on day one so maybe when reviews come out the decision will be more obvious for me. I think i will leave the preorder business and wait for those.

#26 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1053 posts) -

You need to remember that buying a the consoles is gonna be at least a 7 year commitment. Do you think you or your friends will keep playing that long? Make sure you buy what YOU think you will use.

#27 Posted by jayu26 (50 posts) -

This is a tough one. But markini6 seems to have the right idea if you are willing to buy two console which are going to have same third party support (I'm assuming of course). But in any case I don't think Xbone will be a bad console, so you should have fun time on it.

Personally, I just don't trust Microsoft and really liked Sony's first party output this gen so that just makes it an easy choose for me...despite what friends are doing. And it gives us something to talk about when we get-together or something.

#28 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

@karkarov: yeah. I want to try different exclusives and honestly i grew up with ps1 and 2 and then i switched to xbox 360. Every thing from the playstation reveal, xbox reveal and e3 is just pointing me towards ps4. If MS make a more enticing offer before launch then ill definitely consider xbox one but for now im definitely leaning towards ps4.

#29 Edited by Blastroid (257 posts) -

If they do not enjoy the same exclusives as you are they really your friends?

#30 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

Calmly explain that they are idiots and that you can no longer allow yourself to be dragged down by their poor life choices.

#31 Edited by TheHT (11090 posts) -

Tell Jack Tretton, he'll come down to your town and set em straight.

#32 Posted by believer258 (11773 posts) -

Buy what you want.

Also, buying the PS4 before any of your friends get a Xbox might help sway them otherwise.

#33 Posted by Brendan (7734 posts) -

Regardless of the consoles differences, if you play MP with your friends a lot, and you are pretty sure that this situation will continue into the future, then you will have more fun with the Xbox. That the endgame, right?

#34 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Find new friends.

#35 Posted by Rafaelfc (1324 posts) -

Get them both. One can be the social gaming machine, the other can be the antisocial one.

#36 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Get the Xbox One, games are so much more fun when playing with friends.

#37 Posted by Zelyre (1166 posts) -

Buy them both.

If you can only afford one, buy the one that makes -you- happy. If all my friends only listened to dubstep and only went to Skrillex concerts, I just wouldnot go with them. They're still my friends, we all enjoy music, we just don't enjoy the same music.

Also... Ryse? Huh...

#38 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

You know, people on your friendslist don't have to be real life friends, right?
So like, you can play online and make new fake-friends on the PS4 as well and just play games with those people and have fun.

#39 Posted by Hunkulese (2694 posts) -

Do you really want to play infamous? If not go for the Xbox. They've royally fucked up their marketing but it is far more "next gen" than the ps4. You probably won't regret buying either but the ps4 is really just a suped up PS4.

If you play a lot of multiplayer games with your friends it should be an obvious choice and Titanfall is looking to be the predominant multiplayer game.

#40 Edited by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

You should get the one you want, and not the one that your friends want, especially when it comes to spending that much money.

#41 Posted by Reisz (1478 posts) -

I can't see you regretting it either but just remember, keep your box, all the manuals and covers nice and crisp and you'll easily be able to sell it to someone for full price before the holidays are over. My advice is pre order both and cancel the one you decide not to get. I don't play with my mates on consoles so that is the depth of my advice. In the end do whatever will make you happiest.

#42 Posted by ajamafalous (11938 posts) -

Personally, no, I would choose the system that interested me the most, not what my friends were buying.

As some other people said earlier, as it currently stands, the PS4 is more powerful hardware, is $100 cheaper, and (for me, at least) has significantly more interesting exclusives. Imagine how shitty you'll feel in a year or two if the PS4 does end up being the better system and you're stuck with the shittier console that you paid an extra $100 for and has less games that you want.

#43 Posted by RonGalaxy (3060 posts) -

Get new friends

#44 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2662 posts) -

This is literally, "If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you jump too?"

This is a choice you don't have to make until November, so don't try to make it now. If you want a PS4, then just tell your friends that is your plan. Don't be surprised when one, then two, and then a few people start to agree with you. But again, that choice does not really have to happen for MONTHS.

#45 Posted by Nictel (2399 posts) -

@kidavenger: " @volemaulder: the thing is they havent presented reasons that convince me to get the xbox. One friend is getting it just for ryse, another is getting it just for halo and another is getting it just to keep his gamerscore and launch lineup looks better but honestly they arent very convincing reasons for me. Thing is if i go for ps4 i hope i dont regret it, tho chances of regretting any console are slim since they both seem like good systems anyway". They dont really believe me that the ps4 is more powerful and they are convinced that cloud computing is something that will make the xbox more powerful than the ps4

Get better friends or convince them in the coming months. Ryse is a kinect game where they replaced all the kinect-stuff with QTE, does that sound appealing in any way? And as for gamerscore, tell him a big gamerscore doesn't compensate for women.

Finally I really hate that they made the 'cloud' in to a magical marketing term that somehow makes everything better and more powerful. It's not like you can download extra memory or processors from the cloud.. The cloud for Xbox One is just dedicated servers for developers. That's great and can do nice things but it does in no way make it more powerful.

This is not fanboy rhetoric, the 360 did online better than the ps3. But unless you really, really, really like Halo (which probably won't come out until at least holiday 2014) I see no reason to get a Xbox One over a PS4.

P.S. $100 dollars can get you two additional games.

#46 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Call dibs

#47 Posted by spraynardtatum (2788 posts) -

Your friends are morons. Sorry but anyone who wants to buy the Bone at this point is lying to themselves or too optimistic. People should be hiring lawyers before buying a Bone.

#48 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4184 posts) -

XONE. Playing with friends is better than playing alone.

#49 Posted by Vod_Crack (712 posts) -

Thanks Kyle! I do use Giant Bomb too you know :P

I can't give you a good reason why I am verging towards Xbox One for now. Being able to carry over my achievements is a big deal for me and people will think I am a dumb shit for saying that. I love looking back over all of the games I have played and having evidence for doing stupid things like getting the full 1000G on Rogue Warrior. I don't actually care about the achievements strangely, I just like having a history of all the games I have played over the years. I don't like the trophy system on PS3 nearly as much but I am sure it will be better on PS4. I also LOVED my Xbox 360 and it is hard to give up Microsoft when they haven't screwed me over yet.

#50 Posted by Veektarius (4745 posts) -

Based on the arguments presented here, I'd buy an Xbox just because people who are opposed are sanctimonious assholes.

In all honesty, you'd do best to delay your decision until the consoles are actually out, I think. Then you can get a feel for whether those performance issues really are alleviated by "the Cloud" or whether PS4 versions consistently look like the better games. Playing with friends is important, but if it does turn out that time after time, you can expect to read in reviews "the PS4 is the superior version" then I think that might win out and might win over some of your friends as well. It sounds like they aren't planning on waiting, though.