I want to finish my backlog or at least some of it before I get a PS4. Help decide the order?

kangaroosam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll I want to finish my backlog or at least some of it before I get a PS4. Help decide the order? (133 votes)

God of War: Ascension 1%
Pikmin 3 2%
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD 7%
Borderlands 2 2%
Uncharted 3 4%
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch 9%
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare 2%
Assassin's Creed III: Liberation 0%
Ragnarok Odyssey 1%
Need for Speed: Most Wanted 0%
Jak and Daxter Collection 2%
Just Cause 2 2%
Rayman Origins 5%
Ratchet and Clank Collection 3%
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots 26%
Mass Effect 3 19%
Halo 4 1%
SSX 2%
Fallout 3 15%

I have just finished Portal 2, inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood, Tearaway, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. I am almost done with Tomb Raider on PS3. This is a list of games I have paid for and want to finish. I also have a lot of games from PS Plus but those are free and therefore not included, although they may be good. I would like to feel like I have gotten my money's worth out of these purchases, is all. Platforms include PS3, Xbox 360, Vita, and Wii U. Also, I'm not even sure if I want to get back into Dark Souls; I feel like it would take me far too long. Anyway, I will most likely choose the most agreed upon game as my next. Perhaps I will even play them in order of this list. Thank you for the help, it is appreciated!

• 
bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By bigjeffrey

from the looks of it you dont even need a new console.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

Random.org is how I have chosen backlog games in the past, when I can't decide. At a point, you just have to focus on one game at a time and methodically move through them.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@bigjeffrey said:

from the looks of it you dont even need a new console.

Also if you want I'll hold onto your next gen console until you finish those games

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I chose Fallout 3 because it's a personal goal for me next year. I tried it out for the first time for Extra Life last month, and I can tell that it's good and I'll really like it, but I worry that it's going to feel dated to a newcomer like myself if I don't get to it soon. I played about 4 hours but lost my save after a PC format. I'm so used to every game having steam cloud save support but there's always one I forget about.

emoney244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can safely say throw God of War and Borderlands 2 in the trash and focus on the other games.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would you even buy another system with all these great games still to play? If I have more than one game at a time to choose from, which is rare because I play one and finish it before I buy another, then I always play the shortest game first.

SubwayD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Too many awesome games to play! Oh, what a problem to have.

Well, a good idea is to alternate long games with short ones to prevent any burnout, while playing something less story based on the side.

That said, pretty much all those games are kinda epic in length.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why oh why anyone would subject themselves to the whole idea of 'the backlog' is beyond me... That being said, I think you should play MGS4, it's a flawed game, but there's some pretty cool stuff in there if you like MGS.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can easily strike a couple of games from that list. SSX, for example, is garbage. Don't waste your time with it.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your backlog is totally fucked. Go for Ni No Kuni and get lost in the magic.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By LackingSaint

Play The Jak & Daxter Collection because the first two games are better than all the other bullshit in this poll.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlexGBRO

you listed something like 20 games and some of them big open world games you have good stuff there for 2014

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Halo 4 and Uncharted 3 are among the ones you listed that are a) Short enough, and b) Decent Enough.

Forget about God of War Ascension, Ragnarok and SSX. They are not that long, but they are not worthy... Other than that, go to howlongtobeat and sort you backlog from shorter to longest.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Fallout 3, but it's like other Bethesda games in that finishing the game isn't really the objective. Just play and explore and build a character the way you want. F3 for me was the first game of this gen that I got lost in, that I could keep playing and playing. It's got so much to do and it's go so many stories to see that aren't related to the main game.

It can take a little bit to get going, but after that you've got an amazing game. I wouldn't worry about a backlog if you've got a game you're really enjoying. Also - play Dark Souls and if you're really struggling, look up Vageta311's videos for tips, especially "Everything before Gargoyles". There's lots of help online and I understand about it tough and not wanting to play it (I was saying "fuck this game) - but if you get past that, you'll experience probably the best game of the generation.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I can safely say throw God of War and Borderlands 2 in the trash and focus on the other games.

I was going to say the same thing.

Also, having finished Uncharted 3 and Golden Abyss I'd say Uncharted 3 is the worst Uncharted game, from a plot stand point. It has more loose ends and unexplained bullshit than Heavy Rain. It's totally skippable.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy shit! You're good for the next two years! I recommended Fallout 3 btw.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

It's gonna take you some time. I would recommend to mix SSX with some other game since some "deadly descents" can be frustrating.

kangaroosam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for the help, everyone! There are some great suggestions in here. Since MGS4 is winning so far here's one thing to mention; I've never played a MGS game before. They intrigue me, obviously, but I do not feel like completing the whole series from start to finish. I've done some research and I was wondering, would watching the Metal Gear Retrospective give me a good enough grasp of the plot before diving into MGS4?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I picked Ni No Kuni but honestly I can't really give any good advice for this. My backlog is about twice as long and even includes some PS2 games for christ sake! Thankfully it will be a very long time before the new systems have anything worth playing, so I got another year or two before I will get tempted. Unless I win the lotto or something and then fuck it I'm buying everything ever.

Why do I have to like RPGs so much? So much of my backlog are super long RPGs!

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

My personal favourites from that list are Ni No Kuni, Wind Waker, MGS 4 and Uncharted (provided you leave quite a gap between that and the superior Uncharted 2). As the Wii U is gonna be sticking around for a few more years (I imagine), I'm not sure I'd rush Wind Waker or Pikmin, and instead maybe focus on a specific platform so you can retire it. You've only got Halo 4 for the 360, perhaps play that first? That, of course, requires the desire to play another Halo game which is something that I lacked. And the absence of the series' usual composer was too big a blow.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Seems like no one cares about Borderlands 2 that much. That said, now that I voted and saw results I must agree that MGS4 is a great next choice.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Thank you for the help, everyone! There are some great suggestions in here. Since MGS4 is winning so far here's one thing to mention; I've never played a MGS game before. They intrigue me, obviously, but I do not feel like completing the whole series from start to finish. I've done some research and I was wondering, would watching the Metal Gear Retrospective give me a good enough grasp of the plot before diving into MGS4?

Play the series from start to finish.

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The easiest thing is to just forget the HD Remakes for now.

I would go with MGS. The game is actually fairly short in terms of actually playing the game. So it would go by quickly.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Why can't you just come back to them sometime after you've got a next gen console? If it's worth playing now, it will be worth coming back to a year or so from now if you really feel a need to finish it. If you never want to come back to it, then it probably wasn't a game that mattered all that much in the first place.

Forcing yourself to go through a backlog, especially one that large, in a certain time period is a fantastic way to start hating games. You should never feel like you need to finish a game or a certain number of games.

All of that said, I don't actually have a suggestion for you to start with. I think that the Ratchet and Clank collection is the best thing on that whole list. If I'd actually played Wind Waker, then Wind Waker would probably come second just because the PS2-Gamecube-Xbox era of gaming is by far my favorite and exploring weird, colorful worlds full of treasure is right up my alley. So, yeah, I suggest playing PS2 games before jumping into the PS4.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mosespippy

If I remember correctly they put out a Metal Gear Encyclopedia on PSN when they put out MGS4. Anything related to MGS4 is blacked out and it'll read your save file so it can reveal only information up to as far as what you've played. It should be able to provide you the info you need regarding the rest of the Metal Gear universe, not including anything released after the fact. I don't know if it's still available though.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Really? MGS4 in the lead? Ugh. I'm not sure if you've played the original Wind Waker, but if you didn't, play that damn thing right now.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, whatever you do don't play God of War Ascension, that game is really shit (and I liked the other games in the series).

dkessler175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dkessler175

I am just about to finish Fallout 3 for the first time...I know...I know... But even 5 years later it has me completely wrapped up in its world. 68 hours later I still find myself checking every square inch of the map uncovering everything I can and then I plan to roll on right into Fallout: New Vegas.

JesterArbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By JesterArbo

I personally like to mix it up when I'm playing all my "backlog". Judging from the games that you recently finished, why not play SSX, Jak & Daxter or Pikmin 3? Those games are a little different that the ones you have recently finished. Sure you might have some stinkers on there but if your like me, then you need to play them for yourself to form your own opinion.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By chiablo

I'd put them in order from oldest to newest. Playing a game that came out recently, then going back and playing an older one can be really painful.

This week, I tried playing Alan Wake for the first time after finishing Assassin's Creed 4; I couldn't get past the second chapter. Alan Wake feels like such a bad game after playing something recent, it's shocking to see how far we've come in just three years in terms of graphics and gameplay.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@bigjeffrey: Pfft...If I went by that logic I wouldn't be getting a new console until 2018. People just need to give up on their backlogs and just embrace the fact that they'll never finish all of that stuff.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I voted for Jak and Daxter because those are some awesome fucking games. You should go play MGS4 though, that is also cool.

Ignore the rest, not worth it. :D

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since you haven't played the Metal Gear series, go with Mass Effect 3. All of the shit talked about that game was completely false. Literally all of it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

MGS4, because it was a seminal game a couple years into the gen and worth experiencing. The story stuff is crazy, but I thought the gameplay was super solid.

And Mass Effect 3 is in my top 10 games of all time, so there's that.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some good games on that list, but holding yourself to beating all those games has the danger of turning you off in general. Play one thats fun, but your backlog will always be there. I voted for MGS4 because out of all of those, I think that's the only game you NEED to play. The rest of them are good, well most are, but if you don't play them, you'll be fine. I did just read that you said you haven't played the MGS series at all, so I probably wouldn't even recommend that game. My real vote is move on, and in the future only buy games you're going to play immediately.