#1 Posted by Vivek (646 posts) -

So I've decided to take the plunge and want to get a NEOGEO and a copy of Wind Jammers.

I'm confused as to what I should get and look out for. Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 Posted by crithon (3529 posts) -

well, there is a copy of it on Wii Virtual Console

But neo geo systems are still a bit pricy in most ebay scenes. You might be lucky finding them in flea markets or other sales in smaller shops. Plus there's also playing them on HD TV your better off getting what the Giant Bomb crew uses.... what is that thing they use to play their carts on.

Also you might want to play emulators, the Neo Geo emulators runs well because chip wise it's the sega master system on steroids.

#3 Edited by Arabes (372 posts) -

@vivek

Well, if you want to buy a neogeo and a copy of windjammers then you will need to buy a neogeo and a copy of windjammers..... Hmm that wasn't much help really was it :) What's your question dude, I don't understand what the problem is? You seemed to have already correctly identified the two things that you need (although why you would buy a neogeo and windjammers is seriously beyond me). You just need to find them and buy them

#4 Edited by fisk0 (5208 posts) -

I think as Jeff has said, you shouldn't get an regular home Neo-Geo AES, he has recommended the Omega Entertainment Machine (I think that was the one at least, I remember Omega being in the name), which accepts both arcade MVS and retail AES tapes, and for the most part the arcade tapes are cheaper than retail ones (and contain the same data).

He goes into some detail about that in some of the Neo Geo streams they've done, I think he may have been more specific during the Extra Life stream and the special holiday show:

Loading Video...

#5 Edited by Wolfgame (975 posts) -

@fisk0: wow is that Omega machine really cheaper than trying to get a home neo geo console at this point?

#6 Edited by fisk0 (5208 posts) -

@wolfgame said:

@fisk0: wow is that Omega machine really cheaper than trying to get a home neo geo console at this point?

Maybe not the NeoGeo itself, but it sounded like the AES tapes are a lot more expensive than arcade (MVS) tapes, upwards of twice as much.

#7 Posted by Yesiamaduck (1448 posts) -

You need a million dollars in order to get 2 controllers, a neo geo and a copy of the game.

Glad I could be of service.

#8 Posted by Chaser324 (7121 posts) -

In case it isn't already obvious from these other posts, the main thing you're going to need is a willingness to drop a lot of cash.

I can't really offer any specific advice though. I've looked into getting some NeoGeo stuff in the past, but I've never taken the plunge.

#9 Posted by noizy (811 posts) -

If you watch Jar Time, that question has been asked and Jeff provides a detailed answer.

#10 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (870 posts) -

Lots and lots of money. Neo Geos and their games are EXPENSIVE.

#11 Posted by psylah (2273 posts) -

You could probably get a Neo Geo cabinet off of Craigslist cheaper than a consolized MVS (or AES, even)

#12 Posted by Wolfgame (975 posts) -

I can't even find a copy of WIndjammers or Flying Power Disc listed on ebay right now. If there is one down side to all the windjammers coverage you know it will undoubtedly impact the going rate for the game on ebay. I bet it may cost as much as the system itself either from Omega or official options, but that's just my speculation.

#14 Edited by Fattony12000 (7946 posts) -
@vivek said:

So I've decided to take the plunge and want to get a NEOGEO and a copy of Wind Jammers.

I'm confused as to what I should get and look out for. Any advice would be appreciated.

Omega Entertainment Machine

• Fully enclosed consolized MVS system
  • Instant access to MVS exclusive titles
  • AES inspired design
  • Custom molded enclosure constructed with ABS plastic
  • Spring loaded cartridge flaps
  • Composite / S-Video / RGB / Component Video
  • Internal power supply, Worldwide voltage support

What's Included

• Unibios 3.1
  • Stereo Sound Support
  • Composite/S-video Cable
  • Power Cable

$499.00

http://arcadeworks.net/hardware/omega-entertainment-machine.html

Omega Entertainment Machine VMC

VMC stands for Virtual Memory Card. This model has integrated memory (no physical slot or cards used) that allows you to save your progress in many titles as if a memory card were inserted to a cabinet.

• Fully enclosed consolized MVS system
  • Instant access to MVS exclusive titles
  • AES inspired design
  • Custom molded enclosure constructed with ABS plastic
  • Spring loaded cartridge flaps
  • Composite / S-Video / RGB / Component Video
  • Internal power supply, Worldwide voltage support

What's Included

• Unibios 3.1
  • Stereo Sound Support
  • Composite/S-video Cable
  • Power Cable

$524.00

http://arcadeworks.net/hardware/omega-entertainment-machine-vmc.html

Walnut Analogue CMVS Slim

Includes:

• Walnut Analogue CMVS Slim (100% Walnut, hand crafted)
  • S-Video, Composite and Stereo Sound Cable
  • Power Supply (compatible worldwide)

$649.00

http://analogueinteractive.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/walnut-analogue-cmvs-slim

Walnut Analogue Arcade Stick

Includes:

• Walnut Analogue Arcade Stick (100% Walnut, hand crafted)
  • Removable Controller Cord

$199.00

http://analogueinteractive.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/walnut-analogue-arcade-stick

Windjammers

£94.36+ (Buy It Now)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=neo+geo+Windjammers&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2

Other things...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Consoles-/139971/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Neo+Geo&LH_PrefLoc=2

• Neo Geo CD Console Japanese with 4 games = £140.00 (Buy It Now)
  • Japanese Neo Geo AES console system SNK With1Game import Japan Good = £180.05 (Buy It Now)

www.neo-geo.com/forums

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

#15 Posted by Nightriff (6364 posts) -

@noizy: Do you remember which Jar Time?

#16 Posted by Cupids_Hitman (172 posts) -

For some reason, my mind replaced Neo Geo with N-Gage. I was really confused for a few seconds.

#17 Edited by MormonWarrior (2817 posts) -

@crithon said:

well, there is a copy of it on Wii Virtual Console

It's only on the Japanese VC. I know, I checked. :(

Or, at least, it's not available in North America. I can't really vouch for Europe.

#18 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1230 posts) -
#19 Edited by Sammo21 (4164 posts) -

You know, for all that money I am going to say "emulators".

#20 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6274 posts) -

You want to look for a modified MVS system that can work as a consolized setup. That's where a majority of your budget comes in. Unless you are an arcade enthusiast, multi-slot MVS units are unnecessary and something like the Omega MVS setup should suffice.

As for arcade sticks, that walnut stick is a waste of money since you are buying for the casing more than the parts and the PCB. You might as well buy an arcade stick from Mad Catz/Hori/Eightarc/etc and mod it for DB-15 compatibility. At the least, you might need the DB15 connector and wires from your stick. Not only you might save some money, you might also have your stick work on both your NG setup and console/PC! If you rather get the immediate compatibility, then go for the walnut stick. If you need to, do some research on these mods!

Don't get anything Neo Geo CD and the CD version of Windjammers/Flying Power Disc, it's a waste of money overall since you will be irritated by the insane loading times. I wouldn't recommend getting an NG AES system and an AES version.

Or you can be lazy and take the emulation route and the ability to play online well through GGPO but that's territory I cannot detail here. There is that virtual console version too though...

#21 Posted by Nightriff (6364 posts) -
#22 Edited by tbennett5438 (7 posts) -
#23 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6274 posts) -

It seems that Jeff also uses this. http://unibios.free.fr What is that?

Well you linked the site... Unibios allows you to access stuff in an MVS cart including changing regions (since most if probably all carts also have different language support), music access, cheats, advance settings, etc.

#24 Posted by Belegorm (979 posts) -

Also keep in mind that if you got an actual, working AES home console it wouldn't be able to play everything released in MVS (arcade) format, whereas if you got a consolised MVS you would.

Also if you get a neo geo machine it would be nuts to only get windjammers, you'll be wanting to get some more games, like KoF '98

#25 Posted by SpaceRunaway (892 posts) -

I posted this as a reply to Thecreamfilling on Jeff's Jar time video, so I'll repost it here. Basically, there are cheaper ways to do it piecemeal and still get a nice looking setup, and I don't really recommend anyone buy a new consolized MVS, just because the mark up on those is really crazy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A consolized unit is going to be real pretty, but there are some easier and probably cheaper ways to go about it. I'd suggest you go to the forums on neo-geo.com, which are a little anarchic, but in the good, Giant Bomb sort of way.

I'd look for a used supergun, which will plug into your TV and then connect to any JAMMA compatible motherboard (e.g., Neo Geo, CPS-2, most late 80's-mid 90's arcade games). A bare 1-slot Neo Geo motherboard, depending on the revision will go for about 40-100 dollars on ebay (I just sold a couple). A used supergun, depending on how nice it is will probably go anywhere from 100-250 dollars. These usually have an assortment of video out options, so look for one with component.

Then there is the universe bios, which is an awesome chip made by a good dude named Razoola. It's 25 euros and you can buy it straight from him. Despite the homegrown looking nature of his website, this is the universe bios guy. Most (but not all) of the Neo Geo motherboards have a socketed BIOS chip, so it's completely a plug and play swap.

At the top end, you'd probably be spending near to the same amount for a consolized set up, but deals can be found, and in the end it gives you a lot more flexibility if you want to go deeper down the dark path of playing arcade games at home.

Anyway, Neo-Geo.com is the place to ask questions, and there's a lot of info to get started. There's also a sales forum, so you might be able to find a complete package. Another thing to note is that there are a ton of bootlegged MVS carts out there, but they are super easy to spot once you know what you're looking at.

Also, about the serial numbers on the carts. Arcade operators often removed these once they left their possession. They didn't want the carts to be traced back to them, since these weren't supposed to be available to the general public. Nowadays, no one really cares. If you want good looking carts with clean labels, they're out there, it's just a matter of digging.