#1 Posted by Drekly (150 posts) -

Hey, duders!

My fiancee is a huge horror fan, and she's at a point where very little scares her - in fact the only thing to scare her recently was the first Amnesia game. She is constantly looking for something to make her feel that awesome horror vibe, and I plan on finding something!

I downloaded Outlast, because I played it at a friend's house and it can be pretty creepy, but was hoping y'all could give me some games that creeped you out?

Thanks!

#2 Posted by SunBroZak (981 posts) -
#3 Posted by Popogeejo (601 posts) -

Funny you should ask, Daikatana just came to steam. Get ready for spooooooky times.

#4 Posted by Drekly (150 posts) -

@sunbrozak: Gone Home is a fantastic choice, I played that whole game scared shitless.

@popogeejo: Never pegged Daikatana as a creepy game!

#5 Posted by Marcsman (3094 posts) -

Catherine. Oh wait a minute that will scare the shit of you, my bad.

#6 Posted by MikeJFlick (435 posts) -

First deadspace can be unnerving.

#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -

I find mind games work best when trying to scare my girlfriend. Passive aggressive ones work best.

#8 Posted by JasonR86 (9587 posts) -

So will you be like masterbating in the corner while she's playing or something? Because this is a weird thing to ask so I imagine there's some deviant shit happening here. Or maybe I'm an idiot.

#9 Posted by Drekly (150 posts) -

@jasonr86: No you've got it completely correct.

#10 Edited by Vermisean (154 posts) -

There's a rad 2D downloadable game called Homesick that got me good. I think it was on indiedb. I recommend it for the jumps.

Another good indie one is DreadOut, which is also free.

#11 Posted by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -

Actually you know what, serious answer; make her play Eversion. It's a free game that I think they've made work in browsers. Google it. It will at least surprise her.

#12 Posted by Pie (7035 posts) -

Siren Blood Curse is a pretty scary and tense game that has some of that Japanese survival horror thing going on. Has some pretty interesting things going on it

Controls might be a bit funky for someone not used to games though

#13 Posted by Drekly (150 posts) -
#14 Edited by Video_Game_King (35835 posts) -

Dodge the Knife.

#15 Posted by Jeust (10452 posts) -

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

#16 Posted by Intro (1205 posts) -

Condemned: Criminal Origins is one of my favorites.

#17 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1726 posts) -

I think we need a better idea of the kinds of games she's already played before we go suggesting. Has she already played the mainstays like the Silent Hills?

#18 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5138 posts) -

Marriage is the scariest of games.

Really though, I suggest Silent Hill 2, Dead Space, Amnesia A machine for Pigs and Fatal Frame

#19 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

@duskvamp is a chicken, so this summer I tried playing through some horror games with her. Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame 2 were both busts. She wasn't scared at all, just bored. She fell asleep during SH2. I guess they're a lot less scary when you're not actually playing and someone else is in the room.

#20 Posted by Drekly (150 posts) -

@wrighteous86: My girl is the same, she was bored of SH and I think it's exactly for the reason you said. The only reason Amnesia scared her is I told her to play it with headphones on and kinda left her in the room sometimes. Maybe it's hopeless :C

#21 Posted by Nictel (2365 posts) -

Recent events make me suggest getting her an Oculus Rift.

#22 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1726 posts) -

@wrighteous86 said:

@duskvamp is a chicken, so this summer I tried playing through some horror games with her. Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame 2 were both busts. She wasn't scared at all, just bored. She fell asleep during SH2. I guess they're a lot less scary when you're not actually playing and someone else is in the room.

To be fair, SH2 isn't that scary. If you want to try and scare someone with a Silent Hill game, you use 3 (or 1 if they are willing to look past it's visuals). Also, you can't ride shotgun for horror games; they have little to no impact unless you scare super easily.

#23 Posted by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -

@wrighteous86 said:

To be fair, SH2 isn't that scary. If you want to try and scare someone with a Silent Hill game, you use 3 (or 1 if they are willing to look past it's visuals). Also, you can't ride shotgun for horror games; they have little to no impact unless you scare super easily.

Agreed on all points. 1) SH2 is more depressing than it is frightening. 2) SH3 is legit scary. 3) Watching scary games is not scary.

#24 Edited by Jeust (10452 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

@soldierg654342 said:

@wrighteous86 said:

Agreed on all points. 1) SH2 is more depressing than it is frightening. 2) SH3 is legit scary. 3) Watching scary games is not scary.

I prefer Silent Hill 4 in terms of scariness. Those zombies hoovering over you and moaning, and that monster reminescent of The Ring, aswell as the claustrofobic apartment.

#25 Edited by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -

@jeust said:

@brodehouse said:

@soldierg654342 said:

@wrighteous86 said:

I prefer Silent Hill 4 in terms of scariness. Those zombies hoovering over you and moaning, and that ring-esque monster...

I HATE floating bodies that kind of hang there or reach out at you. I don't know what instilled a desperate fear of human bodies floating and moving slowly towards me, especially with arms outreached but I fucking hate it.

#26 Posted by Jeust (10452 posts) -

@jeust said:

@brodehouse said:

@soldierg654342 said:

@wrighteous86 said:

I prefer Silent Hill 4 in terms of scariness. Those zombies hoovering over you and moaning, and that ring-esque monster...

I HATE floating bodies that kind of hang there or reach out at you. I don't know what instilled a desperate fear of human bodies floating and moving slowly towards me, especially with arms outreached but I fucking hate it.

Personally what scared me was the believable and otherworldly moans.

#27 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3719 posts) -

@jeust: Those baby-faced, ragged cloak guys that walk on their hands from SH4 are the scariest enemies ever. They just stand their and point at you and flip out if you make noise.

#28 Edited by Jeust (10452 posts) -

@wrighteous86 said:

@jeust: Those baby-faced, ragged cloak guys that walk on their hands from SH4 are the scariest enemies ever. They just stand their and point at you and flip out if you make noise.

ahah that is interesting. I never really felt threaten by them. I think it was due to the fact I felt they were more exotic than scary, as they represent abstract concepts and they look like ostrichs, and for a good part of the game they are the monsters you run to the most.

#29 Edited by L1GHTN1N (436 posts) -

If you haven't tried Slender yet, you should. It's free and certainly got some good scares out of me, if you like that you can grab Slender: The Arrival off of GOG which is an updated version with a few new levels. The Penumbra games also got to me, I believe they're the games that the Amnesia guys did before making that. They have their quirks but if you can get past them they are still fairly spooky. SCP: Containment Breech is pretty good, similar to Slender with a monster stalking you, but the levels are randomized each time and the blink mechanic is pretty neat (also is a free download, just Google it). Call of Cthluhlu: Dark Corners of the Earth is also great for the first half or so, the first real scare is still one of the scariest moments in any game I've played, though once you start getting more weapons it becomes a bit boring.

If you/she doesn't mind point-and-click adventure games, Sanitarium and I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream are both good, they won't cause you to break down in tears out of fright (probably) but they certainly get under your skin in a pretty different way from what I've seen/heard about them (planning to start Sanitarium myself soon); both are available on GOG.

Then if you want the really weird and crazy stuff, check out Pathologic. I don't even know how to really describe that game. Watch some videos and read some reviews, I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on in it but it seemed really weird and creepy and great. I know it's available on Amazon, and I think GOG?

#30 Posted by PandaBear (1295 posts) -

Texas Chainsaw Massacre LARP... for realz

#31 Edited by TyCobb (1944 posts) -

If you really want to scare her, just tell her the condom broke.

I still really like the first Amnesia. I'd go for that.

#32 Posted by Vermisean (154 posts) -

Another neat but strange one is Imscared. Graphically, it's unimpressive, but it has some brilliant ideas. It plays with your PC - closing the game and creating .txt files taunting you. Not necessarily a scream-worthy title but it really did get under my skin.

It's free also!

#33 Posted by BBAlpert (1354 posts) -

Grim Fandango isn't necessarily scary, but it is a great game, and it IS about skeletons, so that's kind of spooky.

#34 Posted by Harkat (1100 posts) -

Outlast is pretty scary, if a bit cliché.

#35 Edited by falserelic (5278 posts) -

Doom 3: BFG Edition. (On psn to download)

Silent Hill HD collection.

Resident Evil 1,2 ,3 ( All on psn to download)

Resident Evil Code Veronica (On psn to download)

#36 Edited by squiDc00kiE (347 posts) -

The new Amnesia is much more cruel with its scares. The original felt like you were creating the horror in your mind. The sequel feels like The Chinese Room has their own personal Jigsaw cackling at you the whole time.

#37 Posted by Drekly (150 posts) -
#38 Edited by WickedFather (1730 posts) -

Show her the lab results of your aids test while kissing her with giant asian hornets in your mouth. In my house we call that the Playful Frenchie.

#39 Posted by Example1013 (4833 posts) -

Gal Gun.

#40 Posted by gokaired (470 posts) -

You really want to scare her tell her you're leaving her for another man! XD

But seriously, Amnesia games or Silent Hill 2

#41 Posted by jasbir (107 posts) -

Condemned

#42 Posted by Korwin (2813 posts) -

Fuck games. Just wait till they're asleep one night during a thunderstorm and throw some large spiders on the bed, crank up a CD of discordant strings while looming of the bed in a welding mask wielding a circular saw.

#43 Edited by Tireyo (6408 posts) -

Find a video somewhere of a woman giving birth. That'll scare the shit out of her, and she may never want any kids. =-P