I want to straight up ban the use of "PC Master Race" Who agrees?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Poll I want to straight up ban the use of "PC Master Race" Who agrees? (302 votes)

Yes, I'm tired of it. 33%
I'm okay with the phrase. 37%
No, I like it. 30%

I'm get getting awfully tired of the word, "PC Master Race." It simply bothers me. I remember seeing this one thread where a user needed help on Crysis 3 troubleshooting on 360. His 360 was probably gonna red-ring soon. I thought I saw the phrase, PC Master Race used, but maybe it got modified, or I just imagined it. The responses that are there are similar to Get the PC version instead.

What frustrates me though is that, in the thread, no real troubleshooting advice was given simply the gist, "PC is better," is given. I imagine though, that most everyone here actually Has a PC. Probably because we're actually making threads and responding to these forums.

I also don't like the use of these 2 images, or anything similar to these, as well. These images simply don't add to the discussion, and dissuade me from responding a thread thereafter. I also question the use of 'fanboy(ism),' and tro-lolololol, but can't find any finely-detailed reason to outlaw these. Tro-lol, makes me think of a person just foaming at the mouth, gurgling spit, cackling to the point of vice, and making another user feel bad about their console situation.

In my situation, I clearly have a PC, a cheapo Dell from '07, but simply don't have the funds to build myself a PC. Even if I did have funds for a gaming PC, I'm more inclined to buy a pre-built gaming-rig, since I simply don't know how to troubleshoot properly or maintain the PC I already have now. Drivers, and changing a hard drive: I imagine I'll just bend something awful, and drivers just drive me nuts. As it is now, I can't figure out why IE 10 is the only browser that works, and Chrome and Firefox don't connect anymore. Sure, that's my problem, and I myself deal with it. So I don't have a proper-gaming PC, then.

Its awfully strange how every single thread I can think of Right Now, can eventually noodle its way to PC is better. I acknowledge that a PC can be better choice, but each and ever user on here, has their personal reasons why the do or don't have a gaming PC.

I can see responses to this thread from a mile away, that might come up soon. Such as: "If you don't like it here, you can just leave." or "Don't listen to this troll."The fact is that Giant Bomb is my favorite website to frequent on the internet. I enjoy the discussions on the forums very interesting. I Iove the live-chats, and I find E3 time magical here. I find this whole issue very troubling, and I invite the mods to look into this.

I honestly don't wanna fight here, I just get tired sometimes. Why can't we all just, get along? If you have interesting thing to bring up: why this is not much of an issue, or maybe agree, please post your thoughts below. ~ Thanks!

@MB@MattyFTM@Chaser324@Gamer_152@ZombiePie@mracoon@Sparklykiss@Sweep@Sparky_Buzzsaw@MattBodega@wafflestomp@PsEG@snide

• 
nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Next thing you are going to want to ban the term "gamer" because it is "offensive"

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

It's all fanboyism. It'll happen everywhere on the internet. Get over it.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Obviously Mac gaming > PC gaming.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Uh, most people who do say PC master race are joking, you know? Including Yahtzee in fact.

Also that Crysis 3 thread was for people saying "oh, the 360 version has problems? [I] had best get it for PC then" and there wasn't any suggestion that the OP get the PC version. and really, what could people really suggest, go tweet the crysis twitter account? It's easier to troubleshoot a PC than a console if the console is acting like that.

I really don't see a huge problem. The PC IS better in most areas, after all, but if you don't like using the PC for gaming than that's no skin off my nose vOv

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

I quite like being a dirty console gaming peasant.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Subjugation

It really isn't a big deal. Certainly not something to get all riled up about.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Never Surrender.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By pr1mus

I have yet to meet one person who declares himself a member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race and says it in the most serious way possible. It's just funny.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been a PC player for a few months and seriously if this isn't a master race I dunno what is, these guys have it fucking great.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jams

I don't know. It sounds to me like a certain somebody is envious of people who prefer a certain platform for gaming. If you're smart enough to go to school and pass your classes, you're smart enough to build and maintain a PC. If you have trouble playing tic tac toe against a bag of wet hammers then you probably won't be able to handle building and maintaining a PC. Gaming computers aren't any harder or easier to maintain than any other electronic device around. Nor is it that hard to actually learn to use.

Money can be a problem, but PC gaming only costs as much as you want to put into it. Some people complain that PC gaming cost too much and don't want to build one but they have all the consoles and a Macbook air. If you combined the price of all those things together you would have a PC so powerful it would be well past the point of diminishing returns.

Also, PC master race lord Khan

No Caption Provided

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we then get rid of every single snide remark? Every weird comment filled with adoration for the Staff? Every single use of the term 'in my opinion'?

These are all thing that annoy people, but asking for them to be banned? That'd be pretty pathetic.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Animasta

@jams: oh come on, you are being the guy he is complaining about! if he doesn't want to use his PC for gaming, that's his prerogative (regardless of how silly or serious his reason is) and we don't need to go all Jehovah's witness on his ass

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@jams: oh come on, you are being the guy he is complaining about! if he doesn't want to use his PC for gaming, that's his prerogative (regardless of how silly or serious his reason is) and we don't need to go all Jehovah's witness on his ass

not gonna lie, I enjoy acting the part.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It's annoying but I'd rather see that picture than a page bitching about dumbed-down console kids.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Can we remove the forums? They offend me greatly.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By haffy

@jams: My friend isn't exactly technology retarded. He has all the usual shit like consoles, Iphone and shit. But he was hopeless at knowing what to do and how to set up a PC. He had to ring me because he put the HDMI cable in the wrong place when setting up the PC I built for him at his house lol. Imagine if he had to buy and put together the thing himself. Just because something is obvious to you, doesn't mean it's easy for anyone else.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Animasta

@jams said:

@animasta said:

oh sure, I enjoy proselytizing from time to time, but I only do that for games that no one gives a shit about (crusader kings 2 and nier come to mind), and PC gaming has enough converts that I don't necessarily feel the need to talk it up.

The perks speak for themselves, honestly

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

@jams said:

@animasta said:

oh sure, I enjoy proselytizing from time to time, but I only do that for games that no one gives a shit about (crusader kings 2 and nier come to mind), and PC gaming has enough converts that I don't necessarily feel the need to talk it up.

The perks speak for themselves, honestly

Yeah that's true. I need to find something else to troll people on then. Better not hurt what I like the most about gaming. I guess I'll go back to trolling politics.

THANKS OBLAMEO
THANKS OBLAMEO

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Don't you censor me!

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azteck said:

Can we remove the forums? They offend me greatly.

I'm on it.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I'd sooner ban retarded forum names...

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I don't think the term itself is the issue, it's the dickbags who, like you said OP, walk into a thread just to say "PC is the best" and add nothing to the conversation. It's like that asshole who keeps reminding you that he bought a Mustang and will do anything in his power to snake the conversation back toward that car and why he's awesome for buying it.

If anything, ban those pricks.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Honestly, it's probably used more commonly on this site as a sarcastic reference or joking wink and a nod statement. I don't think you should really be bothered by it, but who knows what the real context is. let's all just get along and leave people to have their own quirks rather than ban them for doing something you don't particularly like.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You do realize railing against anyone like this makes you just as bad as "them".

If I was going to ban anything it would be "List Topics". No more "What are the best/worst/silly/serious/whatever games?" threads. The author does little in actually writing anything while others post opinions that often aren't related to anything else in the thread. Those threads are a worse stain than fanboyism.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about banning users themselves. I really just meant filter out the phrase. Or filter the entire-response so it just posts "blank."

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

You do realize railing against anyone like this makes you just as bad as "them".

If I was going to ban anything it would be "List Topics". No more "What are the best/worst/silly/serious/whatever games?" threads. The author does little in actually writing anything while others post opinions that often aren't related to anything else in the thread. Those threads are a worse stain than fanboyism.

That reminds me of Hizang. He hasn't been around in a while. I hope he didn't kill himself.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I don't think the term itself is the issue, it's the dickbags who, like you said OP, walk into a thread just to say "PC is the best" and add nothing to the conversation. It's like that asshole who keeps reminding you that he bought a Mustang and will do anything in his power to snake the conversation back toward that car and why he's awesome for buying it.

If anything, ban those pricks.

Agreed. Those people are the fucking worst.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Do what I do. Mentally replace all mention of the phrase with "K.C. Masterpiece". Barbeque supremacy is much tastier.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OfficeGamer

@jams said:

Yeah that's true. I need to find something else to troll people on then. Better not hurt what I like the most about gaming. I guess I'll go back to trolling politics.

THANKS OBLAMEO
THANKS OBLAMEO

Oblameo will be the death of us. The death I tell ya.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Do what I do. Mentally replace all mention of the phrase with "K.C. Masterpiece". Barbeque supremacy is much tastier.

I love it!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sooty

@jdh5153 said:

I can't tell if you're serious or just plain deluded.

and no I still think it's funny, doesn't need banning.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suddenly I am thinking about smoked chicken, pork, and roast beef combination plate ruining the Giant Bomb forums.

I'm not sure what to make of the "original problem" mentioned at the topic starter. What can we realistically tell someone who is playing Crysis 3 on a 360 and they think it looks terrible? They would need to wait for a patch or a different version where the safest would be the PC version.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@jdh5153 said:

It's getting a lot better. More and more games are releasing on Mac and it's awesome :) Loving it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

It sounds like you don't have a problem with the term, so much as you have a problem with the mentality. I think people have a problem looking at things from all angles. Hearing all sides.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Guys VideoGame Racism is serious bizness

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

Suddenly I am thinking about smoked chicken, pork, and roast beef combination plate ruining the Giant Bomb forums.

I'm not sure what to make of the "original problem" mentioned at the topic starter. What can we realistically tell someone who is playing Crysis 3 on a 360 and they think it looks terrible? They would need to wait for a patch or a different version where the safest would be the PC version.

oh man. I'm so hungry now and it's almost lunch time here.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Sooty

@jdh5153 said:

@sooty said:

@jdh5153 said:

It's getting a lot better. More and more games are releasing on Mac and it's awesome :) Loving it.

Great...but Mac gaming and PC gaming are identical to one another, the only difference is one gets every game and the other gets a small percentage of them. Well, they are identical if you use Windows on both of them.

I have Windows on my MacBook Air to play some games from time to time, but let's be serious a computer running Windows absolutely trounces a Mac without a Boot Camp installation of Windows. Performance is better, support is better and the selection is better on Windows.

Still have bad memories of how bad StarCraft II is on OS X compared to Windows. Ugh. Add Civ V to that ugh too.

They can release all the games they want on Mac but the performance is still poor in comparison, it's a serious issue unless you can brute force your way past it. I can't do that on a relatively limited laptop, I need all the free performance I can get so my only option is to run Windows alongside OS X.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Animasta

@sooty: don't bother with him he's a troll

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Canteu

This is ridiculous, and you should feel ridiculous.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always liked this one best. im 5 :(

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/6075/1217664-gloriouspcgamingrace_super.jpg

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41  Edited By JasonR86

I need a 'I don't give a fuck' option. I rarely ever hear this phrase used. And if it's used I'm sure that both sides are probably being assholes. Can we just ban assholes from the internet instead?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

I need a 'I don't give a fuck' option. I rarely ever hear this phrase used. And if it's used I'm sure that both sides are probably being assholes. Can we just ban assholes from the internet instead?

** out of nowhere millions of voices cry out in terror and are suddenly silenced **

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

What is this Nazi Germany

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@jdh5153 said:

@sooty said:

@jdh5153 said:

Great...but Mac gaming and PC gaming are identical to one another, the only difference is one gets every game and the other gets a small percentage of them. Well, they are identical if you use Windows on both of them.

I have Windows on my MacBook Air to play some games from time to time, but let's be serious a computer running Windows absolutely trounces a Mac without a Boot Camp installation of Windows. Performance is better, support is better and the selection is better on Windows.

Still have bad memories of how bad StarCraft II is on OS X compared to Windows. Ugh. Add Civ V to that ugh too.

They can release all the games they want on Mac but the performance is still poor in comparison, it's a serious issue unless you can brute force your way past it. I can't do that on a relatively limited laptop, I need all the free performance I can get so my only option is to run Windows alongside OS X.

The Mac will always look cooler, that's all that matters to me. I don't care how well a game plays, I have my Xbox and that plays games more reliably than any PC in the world.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

First they came for the PS3 users,
and I didn't speak out because I didn't own a PS3.

Then they came for the 360 users,
and I didn't speak out because I don't use Xbox Live, anyway.

Then they came for the Wii users,
and I didn't speak out because it's a baby console for babies.

Then they came for....the Ouya users, I guess?
I forgot where I was going with this.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Marcsman

As a console owner, I like being a peon. Low expectations.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mirado

@blu3v3nom07: Banning or censoring things you do not like is a bit too Orwellian for my tastes.

In my situation, I clearly have a PC, a cheapo Dell from '07, but simply don't have the funds to build myself a PC. Even if I did have funds for a gaming PC, I'm more inclined to buy a pre-built gaming-rig, since I simply don't know how to troubleshoot properly or maintain the PC I already have now. Drivers, and changing a hard drive: I imagine I'll just bend something awful, and drivers just drive me nuts. As it is now, I can't figure out why IE 10 is the only browser that works, and Chrome and Firefox don't connect anymore. Sure, that's my problem, and I myself deal with it. So I don't have a proper-gaming PC, then.

The reason why you are having most of these problems is because you have a "cheapo Dell". It is far easier to maintain a PC you make yourself as you can ensure it isn't preloaded with crap software that can cause conflicts or slowdowns. I have no idea what "driver" problems you can possibly have; anymore, most tasks are a one or two click deal. Whatever the reason, you should not bemoan a person's opinion if you yourself will not take the time to solve your own problems (you clearly aren't doing a very good job "dealing with it" if IE is the only working browser on your system); they aren't wrong to say that PCs are the best just because yours isn't, regardless of what that statement actually adds to the conversation.

Ceteris paribus, PCs win out. They are the most powerful, the most open, have support for the widest number of experiences, and are the easiest to troubleshoot (think about it, how much agency does a user actually have if something goes wrong with a 360 or a PS3 on the rare occasion that it happens?) out of all video game platforms. That doesn't mean you should go around mocking someone for not using one, but that's not what the phrase is actually doing. It actually is chiding people who hold those views (by playing up how ridiculous it is to do so by added even more absurd imagery and wording onto it), but that meaning seems to have gotten lost in translation. Knowing what the the original intent was, however, means I get a nice chuckle every time it pops up, both at the poor console peasants and the sliver haired gods who say it.

And since it's getting as much use as it is, I'm laughing quite a lot.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"I want to straight up ban the use of "PC Master Race" Who agrees?"

Says the person with l33tspeak in their forum name.

Dumb stuff is dumb but sometimes it's dumb in a fun way.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jams

"I want to straight up ban the use of "PC Master Race" Who agrees?"

Says the person with l33tspeak in their forum name.

Dumb stuff is dumb but sometimes it's dumb in a fun way.

xXsm0k3d4wg420Xx wants to ban the word PC master race because, "It harshes my vibe brah".

rentacop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I think it's hilarious and want it to stick around.

@jimbo said:

I always liked this one best. im 5 :(

LOL first time seeing that one.