• 102 results
Edited 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: I want to straight up ban the use of "PC Master Race" Who agrees? (298 votes)

Yes, I'm tired of it. 33%
I'm okay with the phrase. 37%
No, I like it. 30%

I'm get getting awfully tired of the word, "PC Master Race." It simply bothers me. I remember seeing this one thread where a user needed help on Crysis 3 troubleshooting on 360. His 360 was probably gonna red-ring soon. I thought I saw the phrase, PC Master Race used, but maybe it got modified, or I just imagined it. The responses that are there are similar to Get the PC version instead.

What frustrates me though is that, in the thread, no real troubleshooting advice was given simply the gist, "PC is better," is given. I imagine though, that most everyone here actually Has a PC. Probably because we're actually making threads and responding to these forums.

I also don't like the use of these 2 images, or anything similar to these, as well. These images simply don't add to the discussion, and dissuade me from responding a thread thereafter. I also question the use of 'fanboy(ism),' and tro-lolololol, but can't find any finely-detailed reason to outlaw these. Tro-lol, makes me think of a person just foaming at the mouth, gurgling spit, cackling to the point of vice, and making another user feel bad about their console situation.

In my situation, I clearly have a PC, a cheapo Dell from '07, but simply don't have the funds to build myself a PC. Even if I did have funds for a gaming PC, I'm more inclined to buy a pre-built gaming-rig, since I simply don't know how to troubleshoot properly or maintain the PC I already have now. Drivers, and changing a hard drive: I imagine I'll just bend something awful, and drivers just drive me nuts. As it is now, I can't figure out why IE 10 is the only browser that works, and Chrome and Firefox don't connect anymore. Sure, that's my problem, and I myself deal with it. So I don't have a proper-gaming PC, then.

Its awfully strange how every single thread I can think of Right Now, can eventually noodle its way to PC is better. I acknowledge that a PC can be better choice, but each and ever user on here, has their personal reasons why the do or don't have a gaming PC.

I can see responses to this thread from a mile away, that might come up soon. Such as: "If you don't like it here, you can just leave." or "Don't listen to this troll." The fact is that Giant Bomb is my favorite website to frequent on the internet. I enjoy the discussions on the forums very interesting. I Iove the live-chats, and I find E3 time magical here. I find this whole issue very troubling, and I invite the mods to look into this.

I honestly don't wanna fight here, I just get tired sometimes. Why can't we all just, get along? If you have interesting thing to bring up: why this is not much of an issue, or maybe agree, please post your thoughts below. ~ Thanks!

@MB @MattyFTM @Chaser324 @Gamer_152 @ZombiePie @mracoon @Sparklykiss @Sweep @Sparky_Buzzsaw @MattBodega @wafflestomp @PsEG @snide

#51 Posted by MB (11971 posts) -

Eh, I think it's fine.

#52 Posted by believer258 (11633 posts) -

@mb said:

Eh, I think it's fine.

THE MODS HAVE SPOKEN.

#53 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

The phrase is rarely used as a pro PC gaming argument but as someone who plays a lot of PC games these days I find the whole "PCs are better than consoles LOL!" argument really annoying. No one cares about what fanboys think, after all they're really human anyway.

#54 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

I think you hate the mentality more than the word

Its more the fact that there are people who think they are somehow superior because they own one that offends you

#55 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

Its more the fact that there are people who are superior because they own one that offends you

fixed

#56 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@jams said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

Its more the fact that there are people who are superior because they own one that offends you

fixed

stop editing mah posts cowboy curtis

#57 Posted by MB (11971 posts) -

This poll can stay open but banning phrases like that just isn't our thing. Don't get your hopes up.

#58 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

#61 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

I like that second picture too much to pan the phrase.

#62 Posted by TheHT (10880 posts) -

#65 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3748 posts) -

Since it totally applies to some assholes, no.

Should we ban things like "console kiddies" too? Because I see those said by these sorts of douche bags.

#66 Edited by MentalDisruption (1618 posts) -

You might as well ban every joke while you're at it. I'm primarily a pc user and I don't mind the term. Makes me chuckle most of the time. Never good to take yourself too seriously.

#67 Edited by Kazona (3059 posts) -

You're telling me that if I join the PC Master Race I will get that awesome, flowing, silver hair, glowing eyes and skin-tight outfit revealing just enough cleavage to make the ladies swoon?

SIGN ME UP!

#68 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1733 posts) -

Just as soon as children stop calling each other names.

Seriously, either you grow up enough where this stuff doesn't bother you anymore, or you try to form some kind of overly strict parent-teacher committee that sits around banning all the new words kids come up with, because there will always be new ones.

#69 Posted by stryker1121 (1345 posts) -

What is this Nazi Germany

I cannot even tell what is happening here. Where are the consoles the dirty peasants are playing?

I play PC but I much prefer being an uncultured philistine and enjoying a game on my couch. Pity me!

#70 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3748 posts) -

Honestly this is just the softest thread ever. What are you even complaining about OP? Wow.

#71 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@kazona said:

You're telling me that if I join the PC Master Race I will get that awesome, flowing, silver hair, glowing eyes and skin-tight outfit revealing just enough cleavage to make the ladies swoon?

SIGN ME UP!

You'll need to fill this out first.

#72 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i'm ok with pc master race, the only thing that i hate is when games get horrible ports for the PC. i don't have a great computer to play games with, but read about the games. it's tiring hearing that the game is badly optimized, horrible things to the PC version that console version doesn't.

#73 Edited by Pudge (865 posts) -

I went from Consoles to PC in the last year or so, and I totally understand where everyone is coming from. It's a better experience for the end user, and there is no way to accurately describe that to someone who is mainly on Xbox or PS3. The solution to your problem is to go buy a gaming PC.

#74 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

The term "PC Gaming Master Race" doesn't literally reflect the views of the people using it, people don't really believe that owning a gaming PC makes them better than the console owners, the same way the Nazis believed certain genetic traits made them better than other people. It's just tongue-in-cheek hyperbole used to highlight the fact that the elitism of a certain portion of the PC gamers out there is ridiculous.

As for "fanboyism" it seems like an entirely legitimate phrase to use, fanboyism is a real problem in the gaming community, and while I think it often gets used in an immature way, I don't think "trololol" conveys any aggressiveness, quite the opposite. The mod team aren't here to ban opinions that people disagree with, the only time we moderate what people say are when it becomes offensive or just plain spammy.

#75 Posted by Winternet (8005 posts) -

It has a mouse. I mean, how can it not be the Master Race?

#76 Posted by Flacracker (1597 posts) -

U mad console boy?

#77 Posted by PenguinDust (12450 posts) -

I like the phrase. I think it's funny. Funny always wins over whiny in my book.

#78 Posted by Dalai (6996 posts) -
@hailinel said:

Do what I do. Mentally replace all mention of the phrase with "K.C. Masterpiece". Barbeque supremacy is much tastier.

That'll teach those dirty Bullseye sauce peasants.

#79 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I like the phrase. I think it's funny. Funny always wins over whiny in my book.

Yep, gotta agree, still makes me laugh. And like any good joke, there's a tad bit of truth in it. Like, I love my goddman Wii.

#80 Posted by FFFFFFF (75 posts) -

Only because I don't think it's funny and I think the people who originally started doing it were being ironic. But now it's been morphed into something stupid and ran into the ground, like every other dumb joke on the internet.

#81 Posted by Andorski (5190 posts) -

The elitism is all in good fun, dirty console peasant.

#82 Edited by Sursh (243 posts) -

you have the zealous of a tepid christian mother, who deems televised 'gay love' as offensive to the children.

#83 Edited by 8Bit_Archer (451 posts) -

I guess Im fine with being called the "Master Race" but I still love playing stuff on my PS3 also...

a God who walks among the peasants i guess you could call me

#84 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

I think the only people seriously using the term are dirty console peasants complaining about the glorious PC master race.

#85 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

I don't know, I use it occasionally (ironically) and it's fine. I certainly don't care enough to propose a ban.

#86 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

It's usually used in a facetious manner, and I like being facetious, so it's fine with me.

#87 Posted by T1000 (45 posts) -

really though? This is just over a term?

#88 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -
#89 Edited by John1912 (1829 posts) -

Ive always been a split console and PC gamer, but the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race are total douches. PC gaming was the shit in the late 90s, and early 2000s. The PC doesnt get enough quality titles to brag let alone look down on console gamers and their "dirty" textures. They get ports, and a ONCE IN A BLUE FUCKING MOON exclusive that actually is worth bragging about. The Leetest PC gamers seem like they are living in the past. They just dont have a leg to stand on imo.

#90 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4154 posts) -

@john1912 said:

Ive always been a split console and PC gamer, but the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race are total douches. PC gaming was the shit in the late 90s, and early 2000s. The PC doesnt get enough quality titles to brag let alone look down on console gamers and their "dirty" textures. They get ports, and a ONCE IN A BLUE FUCKING MOON exclusive that actually is worth bragging about. The Leetest PC gamers seem like they are living in the past. They just dont have a leg to stand on imo.

Fucking, thank you!

#91 Edited by haffy (673 posts) -

@john1912 said:

I've always been a split console and Pc gamer, but the glorious console freedom movement are total douches. Console gaming was fine With the Snes. The consoles don't give you enough options to brag about let alone look down on PC gamers and their "free" cheat codes. They get advertisements, and a ONCE IN A BLUE FUCKING MOON a game under £40 that is actually worth bragging about. The Leetest console gamers seem they are living in the past. They just don't have a leg to stand on imo.

#92 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

sounds like peasant consolerace jealousy to me

#93 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Silly console pleb getting his panties in a twist.

#94 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4154 posts) -

You know, I realize that this is a PC-centric site. Still.

I would of use a Chris Tucker one. Isn't today Friday? Mm.

#95 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

PC Mustard Rice is fine with me. I don't care.

#96 Edited by Jams (2959 posts) -

You must have not been around pre 2009/10. Back then even the staff would scoff at PC games. Even jab a little at Brad for still keeping interest in them and playing Starcraft 2. Things quickly took a turn towards PC for some reason.

#97 Edited by Slaegar (688 posts) -

It sounds like this feller doesn't like the phrase because he just doesn't like PC gaming and PC gamers.

At the same time he doesn't like the idea of fanboys being called out.

Smells like jelly.

Part of the PC Master Race nonsense is the willingness to commit money and time into a hobby you enjoy. It means being willing to download shady looking .dll injectors so you can run Diablo II on a Radeon HD 7000 series.

Seriously that program was in German by default. I had a Heir Klicken moment, but Diablo II runs great now.

#98 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4154 posts) -

@jams said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

You must have not been around pre 2009/10. Back then even the staff would scoff at PC games. Even jab a little at Brad for still keeping interest in them and playing Starcraft 2. Things quickly took a turn towards PC for some reason.

#99 Edited by ShadowMoses900 (190 posts) -

I don't think they are being serious when they say that, I think it's just tongue-in-cheek. Or at least I hope so, I couldn't imagine someone being that ignorant over a video game system.

The truth is that no gamer is better than another.

#100 Posted by EXTomar (4497 posts) -

Association Quiz time: PC is to KC Masterpiece as consoles is to...what?