#1 Posted by falserelic (5271 posts) -

I had alot of fun playing streets of rage when I was a kid. Part 2 was my favorite one in the series. I always like the style of the game. I'm surprise that there hasn't been any thought of doing a reboot of the series. The game got potential to become a more fun badass beat em up. It would be cool to see the game in next gen graphics with more features, and better gameplay.

#2 Edited by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

I had super double dragon as a kid. I don't think those types of games find success very easily anymore, financially or otherwise.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (35807 posts) -

Like an open world beat-em-up, where you get to walk around and beat fuckers up for no goddamn reason? Hell yes to that, if that's what you're saying.

#4 Posted by MightyDuck (1490 posts) -

Those games still have some of the best music I've ever heard in a video game.

#5 Posted by jaycrockett (425 posts) -

Have you played DungeonFighter? It's a beat'em up MMO. That type of game would be awesome to come to consoles. I don't know about 'next gen graphics' for a beat'em up but I would like more. More environments, more powerups, skills, enemies, loot, pvp, etc.

#6 Posted by TekZero (2659 posts) -

I'd be happy with a release.

#7 Posted by falserelic (5271 posts) -

@thedj93 said:

I had super double dragon as a kid. I don't think those types of games find success very easily anymore, financially or otherwise.

If the game is well made I'm sure it would make money.

@Video_Game_King said:

Like an open world beat-em-up, where you get to walk around and beat fuckers up for no goddamn reason? Hell yes to that, if that's what you're saying.

I don't think open world would fit for streets of rage. I'm thinking non-linear levels that you can explore. Gameplay wise I got to think about what types of cool new features they could add.

#8 Posted by dirkfunk (175 posts) -

I think the only viable option for such a game would be on PSN or XBLA.

I had always heard rumors that Sega was working on a 4th during the Dreamcast days (could easily be untrue). I have a feeling the reception of Dynamite Cop and Die Hard Arcade may have turned them off.

Now that Downloadable games and 2D sprites seem to be back "En Vogue" so to speak, and considering Sega seems to be releasing fewer and fewer retail, disc based games, it would be great to see something like SoR 4 come from them.

Then again, if they can't get Yuzo Koshiro to do the soundtrack, then it would be pointless.

#9 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I'd love to see a reboot of the series and have it go in a total, crazy role-playing direction where you can unlock a bunch of moves for everybody, upgrade stats, unlock new super moves, outfits, color edit mode, loot, etc. I want the whole nine yards. The thing for beat'em ups though, is they don't sell as sixty dollar retail games anymore. It'd have to be a twenty dollar download game to see any success.

@jaycrockett: Dungeon Fighter is coming to consoles next month.

#10 Posted by MoseSSesoM (235 posts) -

So would I.

#11 Edited by falserelic (5271 posts) -

@Napalm said:

I'd love to see a reboot of the series and have it go in a total, crazy role-playing direction where you can unlock a bunch of moves for everybody, upgrade stats, unlock new super moves, outfits, color edit mode, loot, etc. I want the whole nine yards. The thing for beat'em ups though, is they don't sell as sixty dollar retail games anymore. It'd have to be a twenty dollar download game to see any success.

@jaycrockett: Dungeon Fighter is coming to consoles next month.

That actually sounds like a good idea. That would be cool to see.

#12 Posted by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

In theory i'd agree. But then I look at the new Double Dragon, which looks terrible, and I look at final fight: street wise, and sigh and go back to thinking that we should just let sleeping dogs lie.

#13 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@falserelic: Did you downloaded the fan-remake? It's fan-made, but it's the best Streets Of Rage, by far.
#14 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

@falserelic: Yeah if they made a game that surpassed everyone's expectations that would be awesome

#15 Posted by falserelic (5271 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@falserelic: Did you downloaded the fan-remake? It's fan-made, but it's the best Streets Of Rage, by far.

I wanted to download it but I was to late. The game was took down my sega. I wonder why sega got so butt-hurt over the remake. When I seen the vids I thought it looked aswome.

#16 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

Look out for Eidos' Streets of Rape coming sometime next year.

#17 Posted by i8246i (119 posts) -

If they fixed the problem with the game's hit detection, annoying boss attack patterns, and the idiotic multiple endings of the third game....sure, why not.

But as others have pointed out, and as other beat-em-up remakes have shown: you should be careful what you wish for.

#18 Posted by falserelic (5271 posts) -

This fan made version of streets of rage looks cool. I'm surprise I hadn't notice it before on youtube.

#19 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@falserelic said:

@MikeGosot said:

I wanted to download it but I was to late. The game was took down my sega. I wonder why sega got so butt-hurt over the remake. When I seen the vids I thought it looked aswome.

Oh, Sega took it down? I would offer you a download link but i dunno if that's piracy or whatever...
#20 Posted by Pink_o_mat (203 posts) -

Sega tried to reboot Altered Beast and Golden Axe before. It was horrible. Just play the fan remake (Streets of Rage Remake V5). It's great!

#21 Posted by The_Ruiner (985 posts) -

as long as they don't do to it what they did to Final Fight with Streetwise...

#22 Posted by falserelic (5271 posts) -

@i8246i said:

If they fixed the problem with the game's hit detection, annoying boss attack patterns, and the idiotic multiple endings of the third game....sure, why not.

But as others have pointed out, and as other beat-em-up remakes have shown: you should be careful what you wish for.

Yeah part 3 has annoying boss battles. I didn't even beat the game because it pissed me off badly. But I did like how the game was more fast paced.

#23 Posted by Maddman60620 (102 posts) -

If Sega were smart they'd publish the fan remake and make it a downloadable for psn & xbla. The only thing that the remake needs is the real music from the original games(the remake tracks are similar but just not as great), you can still find it as a torrent, its worth it to have and play

#24 Posted by falserelic (5271 posts) -

@Maddman60620 said:

If Sega were smart they'd publish the fan remake and make it a downloadable for psn & xbla. The only thing that the remake needs is the real music from the original games(the remake tracks are similar but just not as great), you can still find it as a torrent, its worth it to have and play

I'll give it a try to see if I can download it, and yeah if sega did publish a digital release of the streets of rage remake at a good price. That would have been a smart business move. I feel bad for the developers that made the remake which took them years to make. To be brought down by sega, that was a dick move they did.

#25 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@falserelic: I sent you a download link, if you want. It was on PM. EDIT: I know i said i was unsure because it would be piracy, but after thinking about it, it's okay.
#26 Posted by falserelic (5271 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@falserelic: I sent you a download link, if you want. It was on PM.

Thanks I'll check it out.

#27 Posted by mmzOne (275 posts) -

@Maddman60620 said:

you can still find it as a torrent, its worth it to have and play

That is a questionable advice. It's almost as bad as if someone would advice him to go to Google and search street of rage remake 5 and look at top links.

That would be morally and ethically wrong.

#28 Posted by i8246i (119 posts) -

@Maddman60620 said:

If Sega were smart

Then they would still be in the console business, Phantasy Star Online 1 servers would still be operational, Sonic games wouldn't be a topic of mockery....

But enough flamebait, Sega was attempting to protect their IP. If there is to be any remake or sequel to this product, Sega wants it to bring them profit.

Because, you know, companies and money.

#29 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

I definitely agree. Streets of Rage is what I compare all 2D beat em ups to and most fall short, whether they were games of the same era or modern retro games.

I wish the people who made the Streets of Rage remake would make a XBLA/PSN beat em up that was basically the same game, but on consoles and with online co-op.

#30 Edited by NMC2008 (1227 posts) -

I would love it if there were a streets of rage or contra reboot that used MT Framework, not enough games use that awesome engine, too bad it'll never happen. I thought Golden Axe Beast Rider was ok, nothing special.

#31 Edited by jakob187 (21640 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

WATCH OUT! HE'S GOING TO TALK ABOUT BEAT DOWN: FISTS OF VENGEANCE!

But seriously...Streets of Rage in a modern setting wouldn't be that good. Gamers have a different level of attention span now, and they expect character progression as well as all this other artificial shit to keep them playing. Giving them a straight-forward beat 'em up would get boring fast. It's kind of sad actually.

Also...NO, VGK! BEAT DOWN STILL SUCKS!

(I can't remember if it was you or trophyhunter that kept saying this was a good game, but I'm going to assume it is you because it's you).

#32 Posted by Video_Game_King (35807 posts) -

@jakob187:

I didn't even know Beat Down was a thing, much less that it was a sucky thing.

#33 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

Here's what I'd like to see from a Streets of Rage remake:

1. It should be set in the late 80s, with all the inner city drug culture of the period, and with stylistic nods to The Warriors and Big Trouble in Little China and other 80s movies.

2. It can be rendered in 3d but it should have a feel like an old 2D beat'em up with a 3/4ths overhead angled playing field with fights happening horizontally generally on the same "plane".

3. The game itself should have some real depth and RPG-lite elements (ala River City Ransom), not truly "open world/sandbox" in the modern sense, but with a fair amount of branching paths and backtracking.

4. (Expanding further on point 3) It should have character progression in the vein of learning new fighting moves. And fighting needs to be a bit more sophisticated than simple button mashing, but shouldn't be overly complex either (combos, blocking, reversals and the like are all fine, but not to many difficult-to-pull-off special moves)

#34 Posted by Grimace (375 posts) -

I really wish we saw the Streets of Rage game that was briefly in development - running on the friggin' Condemned engine.

#35 Edited by falserelic (5271 posts) -

I've played that remake and it was fucking epic. It was the best streets of rage game I played. I know it was a fan-made game but I hope it can see digital release one day. They added alot of new stuff, improved the graphics, new levels, new weapons and more. You can even take alternate routes on some levels and there's vehicle missions.

I even love how they added new moves to Adam. The whole remake took the best aspects of all the streets of rage games and put it into one. Hell they even made the story more interesting. Streets of rage fans would love this remake. Sega are abunch of idiotic assholes for taking the game off the webs. The game could have been profitable for them if they publish it.

@MikeGosot: Thanks again for sending me the link man I appreciate. I'm loving the game.

#36 Edited by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@falserelic said:

@MikeGosot said:

Oh, Sega took it down? I would offer you a download link but i dunno if that's piracy or whatever...

Torrent, or FilesTube that shit. You want version 5. It's very easily acquirable, and yes, it is awesome.

Oh, you already got it. I'm just late to the party all over the place.