#101  Edited By ajamafalous

Dave and Mike poaching talent

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

Anyone who names his character John Swordmagic is ok in my book. Be well John Swordmagic. I wish you well in your future endeavors.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

All the best of luck to him. And thank you for your outstanding work with Giant Bomb and friends.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

What the shit, Dave? Why you stealin' our staff?

Really though, it sucks to see Ian go. All the best duder.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Aw, he was destined for the Windjamming hall of fame.

devine1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Aw man! He always seemed like a cool duder. Best of luck, Ian.

majid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is sad :(

Best of luck Ian; thank you for bringing a little bit more/less big knob into our lives.

w1n5t0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

@insane_shadowblade85: I don't remember his name, but there's another CBSi employee they've had in the room a couple of times. They'll find a solution.

Andy Bouman, I think he used to be on the Maximum PC podcast with Will and Norm and also edited the PC Gamer podcast, small world I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, Dave and Ian are going to create Big Explosive.com right?

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One day they'll build a robot with clampy arms that can rotate big knobs remotely.

lun49gameon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@insane_shadowblade85: Well Giantbomb can probably get assisted in the control room by Andy Bauman from Gamespot.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ian seems like a cool dude. You will be missed! Maybe we'll cross paths in Dark Souls II.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#113  Edited By bkbroiler

Dave is tearing Giant bomb apart.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's too bad...

What exactly is Dave cooking up? Is it that website building platform thing?

It seems so. The only things I could decipher from that Webhook page are that it's a publishing platform and that it has a Content Management System. I have a degree in CS, but I know fuck all about web development.

Anomareh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Our Giant Bomb is being whittled away. Tiny Bomb DX. All these people going and nobody coming. I have this terrifying feeling of a Giant Bomb + Gamespot merger in the pit of my stomach :{

Codeacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116  Edited By Codeacious

Now who will be the Homestuck fan of the GB staff? This is going to create a significant hole that I fear will never be filled again.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117  Edited By Nictel

@rxanadu said:

Man, this has been a stressful year for Giant Bomb in terms of staffing. First, Drew left in March (?); then Patrick left for Chicago in the summer; then Ryan left us on 4th of July (of all days). Now, Ian's leaving GB for better opportunities.

From what I know of the staffing over at Giant Bomb HQ (i.e. not including Scoops and the Wolf), we have:

• Jeff
  • Vinny
  • Brad
  • Matt Rorie
  • Drew
  • Alexis

That's not a lot of people in a company creating numerous videos usually including commentary from 2-3 staff members. I've been asking about this ever since the move to the CBS office, but when is Giant Bomb going to staff up like they did in their second office? I know they can't get a lot of interns, but at least two permanent staff members at HQ could help them out with spreading out work.

I at least want to know their reasoning behind the lack in hiring staff.

MONEY. Or to be more precise budgets. A while ago Jeff&Vinny were talking about budget meetings for 2014. Depending on how that went there will be new recruits in the new year. //That would be my idea at least.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck Ian. May victory be achieved.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By AMyggen
@nictel said:

@rxanadu said:

Man, this has been a stressful year for Giant Bomb in terms of staffing. First, Drew left in March (?); then Patrick left for Chicago in the summer; then Ryan left us on 4th of July (of all days). Now, Ian's leaving GB for better opportunities.

From what I know of the staffing over at Giant Bomb HQ (i.e. not including Scoops and the Wolf), we have:

• Jeff
  • Vinny
  • Brad
  • Matt Rorie
  • Drew
  • Alexis

That's not a lot of people in a company creating numerous videos usually including commentary from 2-3 staff members. I've been asking about this ever since the move to the CBS office, but when is Giant Bomb going to staff up like they did in their second office? I know they can't get a lot of interns, but at least two permanent staff members at HQ could help them out with spreading out work.

MONEY. Or to be more precise budgets. A while ago Jeff&Vinny were talking about budget meetings for 2014. Depending on how that went there will be new recruits in the new year. //That would be my idea at least.

I'm not sure when Drew left, @nictel :) And I don't think it's fair to say that Ian's "leaving GB for better opportunities". He's employed at CBSi, helping out the GB staff was probably not even part of his job description, but just something he did when he had spare time/outside of work hours. And they could probably get somone else in the control room at least.

But yeah, it's all about the money. It'll be interesting to see what they get out of the budget meeting early 2014.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck to you, Ian! Load Our Last Souls streams are going to be chaos without you there.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#121  Edited By bacongames

Damn, I loved that Ian kept the control room situation within the family so to speak. Happy that he's able to work with Dave, Andy, and Mike Horn on whatever cool stuff they do.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

He was good on Load our Last Souls, and Pathfinder.

defe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By defe

Man, it's sad to see you go, but it looks like you're going somewhere pretty great. Best of luck with everything out there, Ian. Thanks for all you've done in making Giant Bomb great. Having you in content lately has been a lot of fun, and I hope you'll stop by and say hi now and then.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#124  Edited By TheHT

Good luck duder!

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

Damn! Just because you left Dave doesn't mean you get to steal everyone else!

Kidding aside, good luck in all your future endeavors Ian. You will be missed. And keep us posted on what crazy projects you're going to do with Dave! I'm curious to see what lies in store.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Best of luck with your new project!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That sucks. I really was starting to enjoy Ian after he started appearing more prominently in stuff like the Dark Souls videos. Wish him luck.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Well that stinks. How will Vinny ever beat Dark Souls without Ian?

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, GB lost a lot of good people this year, and I'm including Patrick here,

At least they got Rorie, this guy is just great. But I do hope they get some budget to hire a few new faces.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Good luck to Ian, sad to see him go. Seems like a awesome dude.

That said, yet another reason to get more Danny O'Dwyer involved more with Giant Bomb.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machofantastico: i think that's one of the only obvious hirings that the userbase will tolerate (unless they were somehow able to steal justin mcelroy). pretty sure we'll get fresh blood that everyone will detest (irrationally).

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@machofantastico: i think that's one of the only obvious hirings that the userbase will tolerate (unless they were somehow able to steal justin mcelroy). pretty sure we'll get fresh blood that everyone will detest (irrationally).

The fact that they didn't scoop of Jeff Green makes me hate the whole CBSi lack of money BS.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

It's all just a plot. Soon all the members of the site will migrate to dave's site. It will be glorious.

Hoboassassin54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:(

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rxanadu said:

I thought part of the benefit of GB joining CBSi was that GB wouldn't need to have their own dedicated engineering staff? As far as I know, Ian was not just a "GB" guy. The CBSi engineers can maintain GameSpot, GB, GameFAQs, and whatever other sites they own, which is way more cost-effective than having separate staffs dedicated to each site individually. Now, many (or most) of those engineers may be invisible to us and may never appear on-screen in any GB content, but that doesn't mean that they're not there; if they're not appearing in content, that means they're busy doing their jobs.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ian was a great addition to the team, I wish him the best of luck!

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam said:

The fact that they didn't scoop of Jeff Green makes me hate the whole CBSi lack of money BS.

Lack of money? Dude, hiring someone is asking the company to pay an extra $x0,000 a year in salary (or maybe more, I don't know how much GB guys make per year), plus vacation time, benefits, and all of the other perks that come with working at a huge media company. It's not BS, and I'll remind you that the Whiskey Media days only saw so many hires because they were specifically growing and grooming those sites to be sold at a later date. Now GB has a home, and CBSi has to be more careful when they're doing things. Besides, they just had budget meetings, and a massive chunk of their recording equipment was stolen at E3, so that all has to be bought back.

Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good luck, Ian!

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By deadmanforking

That sucks, I really like Ian. Best of luck to you dude!

Damn Dave, snatching up all the CBSi talent!

beomoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By beomoose

Best of luck, Ian, hope the Hardcore Duders rebellion goes well.

Just remember, snitches get stitches.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yothatlimp said:

@ripelivejam said:

Lack of money? Dude, hiring someone is asking the company to pay an extra $x0,000 a year in salary (or maybe more, I don't know how much GB guys make per year), plus vacation time, benefits, and all of the other perks that come with working at a huge media company. It's not BS, and I'll remind you that the Whiskey Media days only saw so many hires because they were specifically growing and grooming those sites to be sold at a later date. Now GB has a home, and CBSi has to be more careful when they're doing things. Besides, they just had budget meetings, and a massive chunk of their recording equipment was stolen at E3, so that all has to be bought back.

They did have an opening starting in July. While Rorie is great, he is their customer support/community manager. They are still down a man content wise with Patrick and Alex working remotely it is pretty noticeable. Sure they need to replace their equipment but that is kind of that cost of doing business and I am sure it was insured so it is not like it was a complete wash. Big corporations are a complete bummer to work for, squeezing headcount out of them is pretty hard.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By NicksCorner

Can't blame a man for jumping ship when such a chance comes around. Good luck on your future travels Ian.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Bummer!

Hope he still shows up for Pathfinder.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster said:

@yothatlimp said:

@ripelivejam said:

They did have an opening starting in July. While Rorie is great, he is their customer support/community manager. They are still down a man content wise with Patrick and Alex working remotely it is pretty noticeable. Sure they need to replace their equipment but that is kind of that cost of doing business and I am sure it was insured so it is not like it was a complete wash. Big corporations are a complete bummer to work for, squeezing headcount out of them is pretty hard.

They mentioned (on an episode of Unprofessional Fridays or the Bombcvast, I can't remember) that CBSi didn't allow them the budget to buy their equipment back, so it seems like it wasn't insured. Or at least, it wasn't insured against the specifics of how it was stolen. It is kind of a bummer, especially since they use to be able to snap their fingers and get what they wanted at Whiskey, but Jeff has been mentioning hiring someone, and I thought I heard the whispers of a green screen studio, so I'd wait until early next year to start being really bummed about their budget situation.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#147  Edited By LackingSaint

Good luck, Ian! Really grew fond of that guy over the course of Load Our Last Souls and Pathfinder.

Giant_Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zecks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Zecks23

Good luck Ian you're a fantastic Duder!

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh shit, didn't know Ian was LtSquigs. Goddamn Dave.