#1 Posted by maskedarcstrike (792 posts) -

So we all know Uncharted is a great success for PS3, so why not a game series on the Firefly franchise? You could have a 3rd person cover based shooter with mechanics like Uncharted based upon Malcolm Reynolds of the Firefly series, plus you could mix it up with melee sections playing as River Tam.

The universe would allow an immense amount of creativity as you could pick your missions on Serenity as Malcolm and select different missions on different planets. This could allow for a wide range of different planets and scenarios, such as stopping the Alliance on a developed city planet to stopping a reaver raid on a out of the rim outpost. The possibilities creatively are really quite endless and allow a lot of freedom.

All of this would close up the storyline between River Tam and the Alliance story arc and allow some closure. Plus if you could get the original actors to do the voices that would make it all the more awesome.

I just think that there is so much missed potential on this great franchise.

#2 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5140 posts) -

Dear Christ No.

People need to let Firefly die. It was a good show that was cut painfully short, but it's over. It's been over for almost ten years.

There is absolutely no need for Whedon to bring his bullshit into this medium.

#3 Posted by maskedarcstrike (792 posts) -

@KingWilly: coming from someone who has a Duke Nukem avatar this is incredibly ironic

#4 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5140 posts) -

@maskedarcstrike: How's that? By being nostalgic for a game that came out in the 90's? Oh no, wait, you think I'm some kind of mouth-breathing fucktard who can't appreciate the subversive, subtle subtext in a Joss Whedon show, right?

Firefly was a pulpy sci-fi western, and it was cool. It's time has passed, and it's been dead for ages. Everyone has moved on from it, including Nathan Fillion, who is enjoying work as a pudgy TV star on a hit network television show. That show's quality is about on par with Firefly, in case you were wondering. If you really want Firefly: The Game, play Freelancer. Freelancer was Firefly. It's where Whedon got the idea of the show, and it's where the Serenity's design came from. I don't understand this needless desire to see a show with potential that got cut short needs to make some sort of triumphant return. We got Serenity, the film that closed the book on the dangling story threads from the TV show. And people were lucky to even get that.

Here's the thing, you want a Firefly game to tie up what you consider to be loose plot-threads. That's not a game I'm interested in. Give me a game where I get my own Malcolm Reynolds, my own crew, and my own ship and go smuggling/bounty hunting across the galaxy, and I'll gladly fork over $59.99. That kind of game doesn't need the Firefly brand, and the less Whedon gets involved with video games, the better. He's a cunt.

#5 Posted by maskedarcstrike (792 posts) -

I mean c'mon this is a great franchise to revive, serenity is only a 6 year old movie. What better way if it is done properly in a video game format? It has a rich universe. Put rocksteady on it and bam, instant success.

#6 Edited by maskedarcstrike (792 posts) -

@KingWilly: I'm not trying to appease you or Joss Whedon, I think it's a good IP that can make some money in the industry. And it's different from most other stuff out there. I think it's an idea that can make money if executed properly. It's simple set up solid 3rd person shooting mechanics as Malcolm Reynolds plus melee heavy missions as River.

If you like it or not is not the question, I think this is a untapped franchise for money.

Edit: and who are you to declare pulpy sci-fi is dead? that is very presumptuous IMHO

Edit: there is still a market for anything as long as people think it is worth their money and enjoyable rather it is pulpy sci fi or not. a good story is a good story

#7 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

@KingWilly said:

@maskedarcstrike: How's that? By being nostalgic for a game that came out in the 90's? Oh no, wait, you think I'm some kind of mouth-breathing fucktard who can't appreciate the subversive, subtle subtext in a Joss Whedon show, right?

Firefly was a pulpy sci-fi western, and it was cool. It's time has passed, and it's been dead for ages. Everyone has moved on from it, including Nathan Fillion, who is enjoying work as a pudgy TV star on a hit network television show. That show's quality is about on par with Firefly, in case you were wondering. If you really want Firefly: The Game, play Freelancer. Freelancer was Firefly. It's where Whedon got the idea of the show, and it's where the Serenity's design came from. I don't understand this needless desire to see a show with potential that got cut short needs to make some sort of triumphant return. We got Serenity, the film that closed the book on the dangling story threads from the TV show. And people were lucky to even get that.

Here's the thing, you want a Firefly game to tie up what you consider to be loose plot-threads. That's not a game I'm interested in. Give me a game where I get my own Malcolm Reynolds, my own crew, and my own ship and go smuggling/bounty hunting across the galaxy, and I'll gladly fork over $59.99. That kind of game doesn't need the Firefly brand, and the less Whedon gets involved with video games, the better. He's a cunt.

Jesus Christ, did Whedon molest you when you were a child? Such crazed anger over someone else's love of a franchise is a bit bizarre.

#8 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5195 posts) -

@KingWilly said:

Dear Christ No.

People need to let Firefly die. It was a good show that was cut painfully short, but it's over. It's been over for almost ten years.

There is absolutely no need for Whedon to bring his bullshit into this medium.

This.

#9 Posted by maskedarcstrike (792 posts) -

@McGhee: I'm not really upset by that but I think it could be a great franchise for video games.

Make it have the same 3rd person cover based game play as uncharted, plus the same mission structure as Mass Effect on different planets. Mix up missions Batman style with River Tam melee style and I think it would be pretty awesome if executed right.

I really don't think getting the actors to do voice overs would be a problem IMO either, it's not like doing VO's takes as much time as shooting a scene.

#10 Posted by McGhee (6128 posts) -

@maskedarcstrike said:

@McGhee: I'm not really upset by that but I think it could be a great franchise for video games.

Make it have the same 3rd person cover based game play as uncharted, plus the same mission structure as Mass Effect on different planets. Mix up missions Batman style with River Tam melee style and I think it would be pretty awesome if executed right.

I really don't think getting the actors to do voice overs would be a problem IMO either, it's not like doing VO's takes as much time as shooting a scene.

Well I would play it. I think Fillion would be totally down for it. He's a gamer and has also done voice work in a lot of games.

#11 Edited by Little_Socrates (5834 posts) -

I would like Firefly to go away soon.

That said, this is far better than the proposal I heard the other day, which was for a first-person shooter set during the Unification Wars where you play as a Browncoat, ending at the Battle of Serenity Valley. The dude had no understanding of what made Firefly interesting. You at least seem to understand that it's the characters, so that's a relief.

The problem with anything else connected to Firefly is that it's a supremely under-developed universe. There's just not really anything in it; you've got "core worlds" which are ripped off from any high-tech sci-fi, you've got "border worlds" which are basically nondescript planets that could be ALMOST LITERALLY ANYTHING (but should probably be steampunk or western) and you've got whatever's beyond the black. Whedon hasn't given us anything else, and only a few people have come up with anything other than him.

The reason Firefly has to end is because it exists as an authorial statement; it is Whedon musing and observing and experimenting with a universe that really has very little definition. The reason the sci-fi elements of the show EXPLODE in the episode "Ariel" is simply because Whedon felt like telling that story. It's the same reason chivalry suddenly shows up in "Shindig." Firefly's rules don't actually exist; it's like Harry Potter in that way. That's the main reason no one's stepping up to the plate to expand Firefly. There's so little in The 'Verse that is actually unique or defined in Whedon's work that any author would have to invent most of the elements of their stories. With the author coming up with most aspects on their own, it makes more sense to just release it as a completely original work rather than an expansion of a cult sci-fi show. And with no expansion, Firefly will never develop a large enough series of core worlds, factions, or rules to actually become a franchise.

Another aspect of this is Whedon's decision to focus on, as Wikipedia puts it, "the 'nobodies' who 'get squished by policy' instead of the actual policy makers." Firefly is about the little guy, and as such we see very little of the bigger picture. That's what makes Serenity feel so out of place as a movie; it ties up a bunch of loose ends, but suddenly everything is grandiose and dire, which does not fit the intimate and personal problems of Firefly.

I get why fans of Firefly want there to be more Firefly, as there's never been anything close to as successful that's been anything like it. But the constant clamoring really HAS to stop. The only person who could actually successfully work on Firefly at this point is Joss Whedon, and he seems to have moved on. Think of it like the Akira remake coming out in 2013, though; would you really rather have an atrocity like that to continue your franchise?

#12 Posted by Rumour (95 posts) -

Firefly or not, I'd like to see a big budget space sim. It looks like people are starting to get sick of modern military shooters; RPGs and sci-fi are becoming more popular. Maybe that might happen one day.

#13 Posted by coakroach (2493 posts) -

@KingWilly said:

Give me a game where I get my own Malcolm Reynolds, my own crew, and my own ship and go smuggling/bounty hunting across the galaxy, and I'll gladly fork over $59.99

I vote for this.

Set it in the Firefly universe maybe, but I love the idea of choosing my own ship and crew more than looking into every nook and cranny of the original characters back stories.

#14 Posted by Commisar123 (1850 posts) -

As someone who has run games of the Serenity tabletop RPG, I am no longer convinced that the Firefly universe is set for expansion. Pretty much everything outside of the regular series is fairly mediocre and I don't think the universe will get better with a game. I would much rather see a unique IP, like a new Freelancer, where you chose your own crew and ship, but certainly one not beholden to the background or flavor of Firefly.