#1 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3091 posts) -

I've been sitting on an idea I think the guys could use for the site that would fit especially during the dry season of Summer when video content is a little bit slower.

Jeff has talked about the idea of editors writing their own short personal reviews of a game they played after another editor on the site has already written their review and just posting it on the side of the original review. I like this idea a lot and find it disappointing that they haven't really incorporated this feature very much yet.

My idea takes this concept and fuses it with something similar to what Screened used to do with Defending Your Movie. You would take two editors that played the same game, newly released or old, but their opinions on this game differ. The two editors would participate in a debate where they both alternate between taking their shots at the game or pulling specific examples in the game, spoilers included, that they feel serve as a saving grace.

Just an idea that I think a lot of people would enjoy and something that wouldn't require very high production values so it wouldn't take too much time to film, especially during this time of year. What are your guys' thoughts on this feature?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Maybe we could make this a general thread for new site ideas, what with the redesign and everything. Here are mine:

• Indexes in the wiki to group similarly-themed pages together. For example, an index for weapons, or an index for groups, or an index for concepts exclusive to the Elder Scrolls universe.
  • Linkable captions. That is all.
#3 Posted by yoshisaur (2701 posts) -

I said this in another thread, but I would love to see more customized variety for the different pages on Giantbomb. I love the layout as is, but would like a little difference when looking a review page vs. a game page. It's just all the same black/red/white and I think it would be neat to see customized headers and a variety of intros for the different types of video content.

#4 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

The ability to attach a post in a poll.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

Or the ability to flag said poll.

#6 Posted by RazielCuts (2949 posts) -

I like the idea of a Defending Your Movie style feature but I think that the GB crew all have a pretty similar kind of taste so it might be a bit hard to do? Worth a go though.

Also in this 'slow period' Jeff could perhaps finally do that bloody Hall of Fame he's talked about for ages!!!!! :D

#7 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

@MikeGosot said:

Yep. These seems like pretty obvious things to do, too.
#8 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

I like the idea.

#9 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3091 posts) -

@ck1nd said:

I said this in another thread, but I would love to see more customized variety for the different pages on Giantbomb. I love the layout as is, but would like a little difference when looking a review page vs. a game page. It's just all the same black/red/white and I think it would be neat to see customized headers and a variety of intros for the different types of video content.

I would really like to push this. It seemed like they might have had an initial idea to do this, back when the video review intros were at least a different color.

#10 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Yeah, I like this idea a lot, but I somehow don't see it happening, unfortunately. Not trying to be a negative nancy here, but as much as I'd like it, I just really don't see the guys doing this.

#11 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Ability to block certain users. 

#12 Posted by RazielCuts (2949 posts) -

@Fr0Br0 said:

@ck1nd said:

I would really like to push this. It seemed like they might have had an initial idea to do this, back when the video review intros were at least a different color.

You are both subbed so you'll be able to check out this - http://www.giantbomb.com/premium-giant-bomb-talk-radio-05252012/17-6015/ where they show some samples of the up coming site design and they show the differences between a review and the homepage and I think a game page? Maybe its worth everyone checking out so they can see where the guys are headed with the site, its quite lengthy though.

#13 Posted by csl316 (8428 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

Also in this 'slow period' Jeff could perhaps finally do that bloody Hall of Fame he's talked about for ages!!!!! :D

Yes indeed.

Honestly, I just wanna see some more nicely produced videos. Screened had plenty and that probably had to do with Joey being awesome. But the GB video crew is obviously super talented so it'd be nice to see them do some more fancy editing. Although the counter argument is if it's worth the time investment, etc.

#14 Posted by yoshisaur (2701 posts) -

@RazielCuts: I must have missed out on that video, thanks, I will definitely check that out!

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13164 posts) -

Oh yeah... Screened. What's Rorie been up to, anyway? I'm not saying he should end up with GB, but I'm curious about what he's going to do.

#16 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Remove the post count right next to the username on the forums.

#17 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

Ability to block certain users.

It's already on the site; it just doesn't do anything. Oh, that reminds me:

Get rid of this. Nobody knows that ratings are even a thing, and even less people know that this is a feature. Hell, I'm not even sure if there's an opposite extreme to Hater within the system, mainly because I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS ON ANYBODY ELSE'S PROFILE.
#18 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4392 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

Remove the post count right next to the username on the forums.

I actually really like this idea. They don't have to remove it completely, but the option to toggle it would be nice.

#19 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

A WILD FROBRO APPEARS!

First Jensonb showed up, and now you.

Was there a reunion I missed or something?

#20 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

I'd prefer more tomfoolery with old/obscure games as opposed to a feature about opinions on a game.

Heated debate over something completely subjective can get real uncomfortable, I almost had to stop listening to the GOTY podcast because it was just too damn tense and neither side really gained anything for digging in except for making people sound dismissive and dickish.

If it was just general spoiler-filled discussion then i'd be cool with it, but I feel like the bombcast provides enough of that as it is.

#21 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

This sounds like a great idea, there are a bunch of games I can think of off the top of my head.

• Red Dead Redemption.
  • Flower.
  • Resident Evil 5.
  • L.A. Noire.
#22 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3091 posts) -

@jakob187: Yea man, you didn't check your inbox, did you? Me, Jensonb, Arkthemaniac, Coltonio, RHCPfan, Gunner, DrFeelgood TurboMonkey and Killer_meatballs all threw a little reunion party. I got pretty fucking wasted, but I think I remember Colt and RHCPfan making out.

#23 Posted by Hunter5024 (5614 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Oh, that reminds me:

Get rid of this. Nobody knows that ratings are even a thing, and even less people know that this is a feature. Hell, I'm not even sure if there's an opposite extreme to Hater within the system, mainly because I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS ON ANYBODY ELSE'S PROFILE.

Maybe you just shouldn't be such a hater VGK. Did you ever consider that?

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hunter5024:

My average is 3.5 stars, and I feel I've been coming across a lot of great games lately :|.

#25 Posted by Hunter5024 (5614 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Hunter5024:

My average is 3.5 stars, and I feel I've been coming across a lot of great games lately :|.

And yet you could not love Costume Quest. Though I suppose it makes sense, what king would go from street to street begging for candy among the riff raff? When a king wants candy he takes it, halloween or no.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Hunter5024:

I had other issues with Costume Quest. For instance, how can you run out of ideas as quickly as you do when there are only three areas in the game!?

#27 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Can we delete reviews yet without shit going haywire?

#28 Posted by Hunter5024 (5614 posts) -

@Video_Game_King:

You know what? That's a totally fair argument. I guess I'm a hater too then.

#29 Posted by medacris (648 posts) -

Toggle postcount seems like a great idea.

I also like the old/obscure game reviews idea. Maybe instead of debating whether or not a game is good, though, instead we could have a debate over "Best/coolest [x]" in a game (for example: "Best mad scientist character," "Coolest sword", or "Best Nolan North role of all time"). It's been done before, sure, but it's still something I enjoy watching.

#30 Edited by Redbullet685 (6034 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@MikeGosot said:

Yep. These seems like pretty obvious things to do, too.

This must happen. I demand it.

Also, though not technically a new feature, I would like to see more Quick Look Throwbacks. They did a few of those for a bit. Haven't done one in a long time, though.

#31 Posted by Jrinswand (1703 posts) -

Add to the list:

• Some actual fucking rules. They would be laid out in clear terms and people would have to read through them and agree to them before joining the site.
  • A moderation system that doesn't use flags. The flag system has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.
#32 Posted by Ramone (2961 posts) -

A 'Defending Your Movie' style feature would be very cool, it's quite rare that we see any of the crew actually have arguments or debates over the quality of a game, the only proper one I can remember was over Flower.